Martial Arts - Which one do you anons prefer? When did you start...

Martial Arts - Which one do you anons prefer? When did you start, do you have some official accomplishments or funny stories?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eHz40iUNIsc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

how am I going to injure myself if I get back into judo for off seasons boys?

Did aikido when i was 14, cool martial art but it's very coreographic and will hardly save your ass unless you are brown belt or more.

Started when I was 8 with judo and did that for a couple years.
Throughout the years I've done Wing Chun, pencil silat poekulan (or something like that), boxing, kickboxing, Jun fan jeetje kune do. I did these things for at least half a year each, some for much longer.

Besides these things I tried out some stuff like capoeira, but those things were just for a couple weeks.

I've been training MMA for the last 2 years, combined with Thai boxing and Brazilian Jiu jutsu.

In my opinion eastern styles are mostly mumbo jumbo, but not completely useless. If you want to know how to fight, pick up something like boxing.

Did 3 and a half years of jeet kune do/Filipino martial arts.

Did 2 years of kickboxing, and then the last 3 years boxing.

Of everything I've trained in I prefer boxing the most; I've learned the most down boxing and I've improved the most down boxing.

Funnily enough; my boxing club also puts out kickboxers. I hate kicking now and i found out last night I've been matched up for a K1 rules kickboxing match in march so I guess I'm going to have to start working on my kicks again.
Also I think I've torn my rotator cuff in my right arm so I'm waiting to see what happens with that.

Been doing judo for over 10 years. Still in love with it. In my eyes the perfect sport for allround body and mental development.

MMA is where my money is, but I'll be honest and say that I'm inspired by Taekwando and Jeet Kun Do. I've done boxing outside of MMA, but I've only thrown kicks in the air.

Join MMA, because MMA has MMA chicks, and MMA chicks will grapple you. Grappling at an amateur level is essentially hugging another person when your body is warm and possible sweating. I once had a hot blonde's thighs around my head, and although it's nice, it ain't in reality. The concept of a hot chick beating on you might seem nice, and you might think that by touching a hot girl it's somewhat erotic, but once you're in that gym there's 0 sexual tension.

Still, MMA was fun because as warm ups we used to do athletic things like cartwheels, spiderman/lizard, wheelies, walk on hands, do felxible things, and other stuff.

and because I've been a nerd since I was 4, I kept looking at everyone as characters. They all had different attitudes and styles, and I therefore really liked going there just to see people. That's not to mention I met some really fun people. Some I routinely sparred with, others I just talked before and after training with. I particularly won't forget about the asian K-pop guy, and the Brendan Fraser-like big guy.

as I'm writing this I'm smiling. I did boxing for 2 months, but it honestly didn't have the feel that the MMA gym had.

What's mma? As in there's a gym that teaches mma specifically as one class?

I thought it was a catch all to refer to one who trains a few types of martial arts

To all the martial arts folks in here, how do you balance lifting and martial arts?

I like MMA but how should I start and progress in the future, while still maintaining lifting?

There is schools that specifically teach MMA, because there are dimensions in an MMA fight that no other sport prepares for. Things you need to be on the look out for.

An MMA class in it's most basic form is a class that teaches transition between for example Thai boxing and BJJ.

Also striking on the ground is a no no in BJJ, but it's expected in MMA.

MMA is as much a sport as it is a culmination of other sports.

Yeah, mma has become its own martial arts with different variations depending on which gym you're in. They'll teach you moves, but they won't say that you're doing something wrong, because if I bend my knee I have better balance, but I lose power, and if I keep it straight I have more speed and power, but less balance. They let you decide which one to use, but they'll still teach you combinations and moves from Samba, Judo, BJJ, wrestling, and some hybrids. Then if you wanna learn a specific thing they often have a course for it, like Mondays and Wednesdays are MMA, and Tuesdays and Thursdays are Muay thai, and BJJ only.

Cool. What do you recommend for a beginner who is into MMA?

Can I still make gains and look jacked if I start mma

I Train MMA twice a week, Thai boxing also twice and BJJ twice again. This is my guideline, practice may very a little.

Besides this I try to go to the gym at least 4 times a week, but aim for 5 or 6.

I typically do not spend more than 90 minutes in the gym, I train 2 muscle groups each time.

Now in practice it's sometimes very shitty, because I mostly go to the gym before and then training after. If you sleep enough it will be possible.

So that's MA training 6 times a week?

And on 4 of those training days you lift weights before going?

Dam son, nutrition, work, rest etc gotta be spot on. Tips?

Just training MMA will get you gains if you train often and hard.

Just like with the gym, some people come for fun or just so they can say they do MMA.

You shouldn't be like that, you should go there to be the best. That's when you will make gains.

And of course, don't forget about good diet.

One thing you should be very aware of, you will NOT get Swole by just doing MMA. See mcgregor, Anderson silva, GSP, etc. That's what you'll end up with roughly if you don't lift.

Starting MMA in about 2 weeks, looking forward to it

I just quit my job to devote myself full time to martial arts. I'm going to travel and try out some different gyms and see some sights as I train my body. I figure I'll get a broad base of lots of different styles. Chinese martial arts seem to have evolved mostly out of a need to market your abilities to students, not to actually fight and as a result it's mostly cool looking bullshit that doesn't work so I think I'll steer clear of CMA. Jeet kun do or whatever Bruce Lee invented seems cool though so I might try that. Whatever emphasizes sparring in training the most I'll spend the most time on.

>MMA is where my money is
You spelled boxing wrong.

Boxing is goat

JKD isn't really a martial art, it's a mindset for approaching your training. MMA is basically the endgame for JKD philosophy anyway

I just eat basic stuff with common sense.

I do not need consume supplements as of now, because I only started lifting again a little while ago after not having done for 2 years.

> tfw people think I'm a resolutioner

I'm still in uni and only one of my classes is mandatory to be present at so I just almost never go to uni and do my stuff at home.

I have a lot of freedom in how I can spend my time so it works for me, but I understand this can be very hard for people that have full time jobs.

To me MA is more important, so I will bail on that if I have to choose, but if you are doing as much as I try to do every day I don't think there is much shame in a cheat day every now and then.

Just get priorities straight before you start, so you are never in doubt. If I would put everything in a list.

Sleep, uni, eating, MA, lifting, social life

I do work, but not a lot so I didn't put that in.

> tfw pizza delivery guy

Get priorities straight, really want it and you'll get there.

WE'RE ALL GONNA MAKE IT BRAHS

>i quit my job to learn kung fu

on the off chance that you're not just memeing, fucking why?

yeah, I'll probably just read Bruce Lee's philosophy. That's what seems interesting and valid.

Is 25 too late to start? I'm Veeky Forums but total zero experience and zero cardio

Really depends...

Chances are you will not go pro, but maybe you have talent.

Some guys come to my MMA gym and are really motivated for 2 weeks and then never show up again, but they were making great progress.

Others trained for years before I came and I surpassed them after half a year.

If you want to do it to become really good, it's really up to how quick of a study you are.

As for it being too late... It's cliché, but it's never too late.

To be realistic though, if you are 25, fit and got the right mindset and a little bit of talent you can still become very good. Maybe even go pro after a couple years.

Make sure you avoid the McDojos.

why not? What are you really trying to do with your life that's so important? The world has been pretty much conquered already, nothing really matters anymore, it's just a part of the game to get one step up on everyone else on the ego ladder. I have no desire for wealth or status, I just want to fully master myself and get my mind body and soul as healthy as they can be. This is a world of plenty. The gameboard is set to allow you to do whatever the fuck you want. Why so many people become slaves to the wills of others and do repetitive mundane shit they hate all day I'll never know. Life has lots of possibilities and I intend to get the most out of it.

Also, there's a common set of rules to this game, physics constrains us all and we all have similar bodies, so there is a "solution" to the problem of how to best move your body to defeat others in combat, especially when the mass available to be used is equal as it is in modern MMA. People throughout history who have come close to solving this problem have become immortalized forever in the history of mankind. Thousands of years later people still tell of the feats of undefeated warriors because it really is something special when someone can master a skill above all others. It seems like just as worthwhile a pursuit as any other in today's society.

Nope. Kevin Ross started at 23 I think.

Never too late, especially if you've played other sports. If you're coordinated and know how to move your body you can pick things up really quickly. You've still got another decade at least if you want to become champ. If you don't care about competing it's never too late because you'll still get all the benefits of training at any age.

Muay Thai & BJJ

/thread

>meme & meme

>the most efficient (and brutal) stand up art
>the most efficient ground art

Hope you enjoy getting your face bashed in by a meme. Or what combination do you think is better?

DESU Dutch kickboxing is the most brutal striking art.

.t that guy who has said he trains muay Thai and BJJ like 5 times already,

>no elbows
>no knees
>most brutal

AHahahaahha..
Oh wow you're joking right?

Thanks for the insight, appreciate the time taken to reply to my noobs questions.

Now I just have to find a job to support my expenses, nutrition and gym fees.

T. Fresh out of college with an accounting degree (with no relevant accounts experience)

I don't know where you get that from, but we do do that.

Added to that Dutch kickboxers dominate the sport. See K1 for reference.

Agreed, there's so much depth to it that you never stop learning. I've been in it for nearly 16 years now, and I see new things all the time.

Anytime brah

Because kung fu fucking sucks. Learn something useful.

Glad to see a fellow passionate judoka

I feel you and i'm on the same page with anti-consumerism/anti-materialism. Boxer here.

I agree with this guy though. Get into boxing or something rather than something shitty like Kung Fu. Boxing competition isn't about chasing "wealth or status" either; it's about mastering yourself.

When you're in a fight your own opponent is yourself; the other guy is just a proxy for you to test your own resolve, your own commitment to your conditioning and fitness. Some people get in the ring to fight; for others like myself I get in there willing to put my entire health on the line. Only way to keep me down is to outpoint me or knock me out because otherwise I won't stop pressuring you. 100% commitment to the only thing in life that makes any sense to me.

If you read my post I said I specifically was going to avoid kung fu except maybe JKD which is more of a philosophy for creating your own martial art. Seriously did you not read my post where I said Chinese martial arts as a whole are pretty much useless?

I'm just getting started in my journey, been practicing for 4 months now, got my yellow belt last week. I'm 23, hopefully I can keep practicing for many years, because I've hated every other form of exercise I've ever practiced, except biking, and it's easier to be consistent with judo.

I've been doing HEMA for 6 years and I've started Judo.

Wrestling and Judo are were it's at for me. I certainly didn't waste any time doing HEMA it was fucking great but I'm really getting bored of that crowd now. I just want to wrestle.

Sorry user, I legitimately misread.

If you're looking for something to invest in for life, just look at Judo, or BJJ, they're constantly changing, there's always something new to learn, and both of them are arts that aim at longevity within the art.

I know a guy who at 78 years old is still capable of tapping out anyone on the ground because his depth of knowledge and technique are so good. He has limited his tachi waza purely to kata now, but he still picked up a 105kg guy for kata guruma when performing Nage no Kata recently.

Nice, keep it up! If the dojo is any good, it's a nice place to make some freinds as well.

And you, user.

How do you feel about the recent IJF rule changes? I'm a fan of the gripping rules, also with the shido rules. I can't wait to start drilling it with my competition students in shiai/randori.

It's true that if you take care of yourself and stick with judo many people can do it for life. The head instructor in my gym is in his fifties, looks the same as photos of him in his twenties but with grey hair, he recently got his seventh dan and it's fucking ridiculous how fit he is. The twentysomething and thirtysomething shodans and nidans in the gym can't touch him.

Yeah man, it's totally cured my social anxiety. After being kind of NEET for years I finally have lost weight and gained enough confidence to return to college this year, which makes me sad because I'll have to move away from the gym, but there's also a judo gym where the university is, hopefully it'll be good too.

Are you in the UK user?

Just wondering, if your instructor has just got to 7th Dan chances are I know him.

Nope user, I'm in Spain.

Ah ok.

Buena suerte en tu entrenamiento

I wanted to be a surgeon long ago, and lived in a terrible suburb, so I took up Kung Fu as a kid and Judo a little later in an attempt to avoid damaging my hands.

It's worked out pretty well. For your average drunk it's all too easy. Usually after a single trip he's down and out, too uncoordinated to get back up and attack again before I just walk away. For junkies it's a little harder, and they need to be worn down with hard throws and a maybe a choke.

Where do you wrestle my man?

We wrestle at my HEMA club just sort of as an aside for advanced guys and I go to wrestling seminars when I can. Sadly I don't get to very often so thats why I took Judo.

That's a lot more than most people can say. Are you in the US?

Dutch rules, like French ones explicitly forbid use of elbows without pads.

In most competitions, but not in training.

want to start muay thai or boxing guys but I'm nervous as fuck.

what are the people like to newcomers

Nah sadly not as far as wrestling goes. I'm in the UK.

Martial Arts
> Which one do you anons prefer?
Grappling sports (Judo-bjj-wreslting-sambo-cacc...)
>When did you start,
Judo, a 7, then quit, then started again at 16 with Karate and Judo.
>do you have some official accomplishments or funny stories?
No accomplishments, funny stories, hundreds, too bad I'm shit at storytelling.

None but I have a gun, so checkmate.

Oh that's a shame. Being in the US I'm trying to take advantage of wrestling while I still have the time, as I'm at uni right now. Greatest sport in the world.

>boxing sparring
>i ask if can we do a light one because i don't have a gumshield with me
> he's been coming for a long time but he's absolutely garbage
>he starts throwing heavy hooks at me doesn't land, literally swinging for the fences
>i'm like ok ok, i land 2 heavy uppercuts, the guy is thrown back, like surprised why I did that
I'm quite bad at writing so sorry, but what the hell are these people thinking?

I like em too! The gripping is really nice like you say, also the removing of the yuko's and multiple stacking wazaris should result in some more active and agressive tachiwaza I think. Our dojo is waiting for national training of the trainers before applying the rules, but should be soon.

Agreed any time I talk to American kids I'm always bullying them into taking up wrestling which they can.

I was 24 when I started and if I'd done it at 14 I'd be totally different person I think.

Have you been doing it long?

>art
>art

I mean if you're into art, yea those memes are great. I'm into fucking people up.

No I've only been at it for a few years now, as I started late and I can only wrestle in the NCWA. It's better than nothing and going to camps/competing in the summer has helped me close the gap with my competition. I feel the same way, and I'm just happy to be able to do it whatsoever. I'll have another year of eligibility left to wrestle on my team, and despite graduating I think I'm going to take advantage of it.

Hell yea man. Well good luck!

thinking of starting practicing but I'm currently broke as shit so I can't afford to take lessons. will I be fine with youtube tutorials till I get some money in a month or two? post some good ones

Yuko's have definitely been a problem for a while, I recently sat and watched the 1989 British Open (it's on Superstar Judo if you have a subscription), when they still used Koka. Interesting to see just how different the game was back then, pretty much any takedown that had some kind of rear trajectory scored koka back then.

However, it still seemed to me that people were still aiming for the ippon back then, I guess because shido's didn't count and one of the problems we've had in recent years is forcing opponents into negative judo rather than being positive yourself.

>Our dojo is waiting for national training of the trainers before applying the rules, but should be soon.

Same here, though the BJA seems to be dragging its feet right now, I keep looking to see when the first competition rules for coaches seminar is.

Any stories would be appreciated

Do you train to compete or just for the sake of training? I ask, because it is the same with bjj and many techniques. I find hard to train with people with the (technical) level to train properly since many train for competition where I train.

Thanks man same to you.
I think YouTube tutorials are useless if you don't know what you're doing and don't have any formal training.

Judo newbie here, yeah Youtube tutorials are useless without formal training, you can get some ideas for techniques and whatnot but you need to take classes in order to learn the context and really practice and improve.

has anyone here started when they're older? I'm 23, always been interested in martial arts, watch MMA and boxing and been thinking of getting into training myself now that I'm fit but I'm a bit worried since usually people start when they're really young, can I still start?

I train to compete.

At my gym the people that compete are the most technically skilled

I've started judo at 23, there's another guy at my gym that has started at 21, the first few weeks are rough but you'll get used to it, just go for it, we're young enough to get black belts before we're even 30 if we take it seriously.

I like the gripping rules, but I think it's borderline retarded to let 3 shido equal hansoku make while removing stacking waza ari, thus making shido a more efficient way to win than waza ari.

Also, while I'm glad it now takes two leg grabs to earn a hansoku make, I still think a DQ is much too severe a penalty. The tendency to turn Judo into a spectator sport still irks me because, while creative new techniques have evolved to circumvent rules, Judo as a whole has been partially defanged. I've noticed that I completely dominate all the big young guys if we do randori with leg grabs, while not even having learned them too well because I was familiarized with them through BJJ and self study.

>somewhere over 6 years of Judo and 4 years of BJJ now, with a decade of Aikido for good measure

I wanna get back into wrestling for those sic ear and back gainz

Started Judo at 23 and BJJ at 25. Judo black belt's just around the corner at age 30. Still competing with some regularity, not without success.

Anyone have that martial art flow chart about choosing a martial art that includes archery?

Boxers live in the greatest denial known to man

bump

The throw is (n)ippon-perfect, but the transition to the ground is bjj blue belt at best.
He forgot to change his right arm grip from over hook to underhook to transition to armbar.
The throw is beautiful af fuck though.
Sambo, not bjj is king for those smoth transition standing to ground. .gif related.
>The tendency to turn Judo into a spectator sport still irks me
Me too. Worse, bjj is following the same path iwth ibjjf.

Yeah, but that throw is so sexy. Totally trying the kata guruma to straight ankle though. While transitioning I only land it from single leg variations as it is.

And yes, but I always failed to see how the IBJJF will net BJJ a place in the Olympics - the reason why they're laming it up - if even wrestling and Judo, both far more entertaining and less complicated, can't seem to be sure about their spot in the games. BJJ is, as far as I'm concerned, immensely fun to train, but impossibly boring to watch.

Oh, and a .gif for good measure.

Shit like this would never fucking work unless you got into a fight with a literal dweeb who's half your size and unathletic

Who the fuck falls forward like that

Not sure if trolling... but quite a few people really, as long as you get them off balance.

youtube.com/watch?v=eHz40iUNIsc

Capoeira. Despite its meme potential i really dont see it for self defense. I might as well take something else. But shit gets me fucking tanked every session and nothings better than discovering what your body can do.

Its like calisthenics on roids, with some finesse. And it gets you fit as fuck too. Cardio/10

there are knees

>Who the fuck falls forward like that
Doesn't know about kuzuchi.

What is down boxing?
Also congrats on the fight, feel free to post what happens on here.

did boxing since i was a kid. when i was 20 i started BJJ for the sole reason of learning the ground stuff.

i'd recommend these two to anyone who wants to learn basic self defense. boxing will teach you how to strike and bjj how to defend and submit others. they are fun to do and a great cardio.