Ok, guys. I want to lose weight, but I'm an alcohol. Is it possible?

I've got the willpower to diet, and I'm sure exercise will aid the depression, but I'm very aware of my dependence on the alcohol and please understand that that's not going anywhere for now. I managed to quit smoking(clean for a month so far) and have lost 18 pounds by cutting back on sugar, 3 hours of exercise daily, and not eating bread. I'm sure the alcohol consumption has slowed this considerably, but 4 of my friends died recently and it's been all I have to cope, going to family and friends made it worse because they belittled me or got angry, and from what I can see in myself, that made the drinking worse. I've been making life changes like making one person happy per day, and when I want a smoke I have a bite of chocolate or something. What dieting/exercises changes can I make to counteract the booze? Please keep in mind that I need coping mechanisms, because unlike the others of Veeky Forums, I'm quite imperfect. I weigh 194lbs, I'm 5'10-5'11. Goal is no gains until I quit drinking. I'm aiming for 160 lbs. What's the best way to drop it without quitting drinking alcohol? I know plenty of you think it's stupid, (I know it's pretty stupid) or can't be done without dropping booze/the occasional bite of chocolate, but please, offer an honest answer. Try. I've got the will to lose it, and if I do it successfully, maybe the willpower to drop the others will follow suit.

Bump so I can respond before it dies

>tfw am an ipa alcohol

>I'm an alcohol
>alcohol

>visiting family
>dad and stepmum both on the piss
>being abusive to me, absolutely no respect
>they don't ask, they demand me to drive them to dinner tonight because they're drunk
should i do it to avoid repercussions, or should I 'forget' and go for a drive and go have dinner by myself at a nice restaurant and teach them to show respect

Fellow An Alcohol here who enjoys the sauce too much to quit but knows I let shit get way out of hand. Instead of trying to quit, I forced myself to hold out until the last two hours of the day. Hard as fuck but I adjusted in a few weeks.

With this new progress, I was able to not be drunk in the morning and afternoon. So now I could commit to exercising at lunchtime consistently, sometimes before work. Just be CONSISTENT. Even if the workouts are shit many times... be CONSISTENT. With time, you will naturally crave a healthier lifestyle, both diet and a more reasonable alcohol consumption.

I'm rooting for you in the ATL man

thank you

Yeah, I'm an alcohol. Are you new?

Tell them you need gas money, your car's a gas hog. Don't take em til you get it

Thanks. I do my exercise in the early morning at 4am. I sleep by 7pm every weekday. The drinking seems to happen about 2pm, because if it doesn't, nothing gets done and I get weird panic attacks. About 3x/week I wake up every hour from nightmares, and all day I have this dull lingering headache, which I know to be from alcohol. I just can't kill myself with this kid relying on me, and I want to like myself more so I don't need to rely on the alcohol so much to deal with others and keep myself stable.

I'm on vacation so I'm using his car.

driver fee for dealing with drunk people

Nice to meet a fellow alcohol.

I am 3,4-dimethyl chloroheptanol, and you are?

>tfw born alcohol-free
I'm never going to make it, am I?

Fellow alcohol here, I lost 80 lbs in 2016 while still drinking almost every day.

You just have to stick to hard and account for the alcohol calories in your daily diet. In practice that means giving up about 400-500 calories in carbs daily.

Cutting back takes a while to get used too, don't be discouraged by a relapse.

Just kill him desu

Rubbing. I'm just full of the shit.

I can do that with all the bread I'm not eating. It's got to be the sugar fucking me. How many grams of sugar can I get away with per day?

medfag here, the issue here is that alcohol has a caloric value. That is, alcohol can be metabolized and used as a source of energy. roughly 272kj/oz of an 80 proof spirit. so about 65 calories an ounce, or 98 calories a shot. And this is just the healthiest option, assuming you are fucking with zerocarb spirits. once you start fucking with sweet drinks and beer, you introduce more carbs and calories. Which is fine if you fit them into your daily allowances. But the issue is that your body processes alcohol as a toxin, meaning that it is metabolized before any glycogen stores. So every calorie from alcohol consumed is essentially delaying your progress. These 98 calories of alcohol for 1 shot are being burned for energy, instead of 25g of carbs that would have the same caloric value. or 11g of fat that would have the same value. So understand that for every shot you take, you are essentially delaying your weight loss by a slice of bread. or half an avocado.

Since I exercise in morning, is it worse that I take in my alcoholic calories in afternoon? Or no difference? (I'll be trying to push in an hour of light cardio in the evenings as well)

And man, a slice of bread is a lot of lost progress. I'm gonna be eating like a bird.

Thanks, man.

You wont probably wont listen to me but i hope you do. Stop. Drinking. Now. Dont take another sip. You know youre an alcoholic and you know you need to stop. Youll never get to the sober days unless you actually stop and the soonest way to get there is to stop drinking today.

Think of everything alcohol has taken from you. Think of all the time, money youve wasted. Think of all the stress and worry alcohol has caused you. Think of what it feels like to wake up hangover every day. Not having any energy. Fuck that shit.

You wont succeed in getting fit because alcohol will get in the way. It will find a way, it always. Alcohol is ultimately destructive for an alcoholic. Dont let the booze win. Dont let it control you anymore. You CAN do it. You NEED to do it. Stop making excuses and take the first step so that you start living the rest of your life.

I hope you can hear me user, quitting drinking was probably the most important thing ive ever had to do. Its not easy but every single day im grateful alcohol is out of my life.

It's been quite helpful in coping with death, thanks very much. I'm aware that stopping is good, but there's no other way for me to deal with those things right at this moment. I don't have a supportive family or supportive friends, and the pressure of responsibilities that I have, rather than guilting me into submission, makes it much worse. Thanks for your kind words, but it takes the stress and worry away. I wake up very spritely, because I drink twice as much water as booze before bed. Not doing it your way doesn't mean I can never do it, and whereas I see your intention, to me that sounds very discouraging. If you were an alcoholic you should honestly know better than to give the advice 'just stop.'

Because you and i know that with no motive, I'd simply start again. I'm trying to give myself hope and reasons to stop so that I stop for good.

Congratulations.

This is just your alcoholism duping you into thinking you need it. Making excuses, rationalizing. But it's still the same abusive boyfriend. He's gonna beat you again, hopefully you can get out before he kills you.

Living a fulfilling life outside the spell of alcohol should be motivation enough.

Brutal honesty aside though: see if you can find a therapist to talk to. They can help you through your grief and offer you guidance towards recovery as well. Good luck

Thanks for putting it that way. Maybe I'll find some sensitive friend who will let me crash at her pad and not leave me stranded in this place. You know. Metaphorically speaking.

But I've got to say that It's been thirteen years and that friend just hasn't come along. Nothing has made sobriety worthwile. Not a goddamned thing, no matter how guilty others would like to make me feel about that. There's nothing left in ME, aside from what I owe others. My trying isn't 'just stop.' My trying is making a plan, and sticking to it.

And thank you, sincerely

Also, water/bedtime. Thanks, user. If I'm hot by summer, I'll post my first ever Veeky Forums bodyshot.