Intra-workout BCAA - is it a meme?

intra-workout BCAA - is it a meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16365096
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The only intra-workout you might need is water.

Bcaa's are the biggest waste of money you could find.

people that say BCAAs don't work...

YOU EAT PROTEIN FOR THE BCAA IN IT, IDIOT.

What i take

Its only good for intermittent fasting, otherwise its a waste.

No, if you're not on a low protein diet (none on here) you eat protein for the calories.

seriously this

most supplements are not worth the money. some, like BCAA, are literally worthless

Well that's not fucking true.
If that were true, you could just drink some oil, which has the highest density of calories you can get.

I said
>If you're not on a low protein diet

Drinking oil is a low protein diet.

BCAAs are just amino acids that have 'branched' hydrocarbon side chains (isoleucine, leucine, and valine).

You will find these amino acids in most proteins, ESPECIALLY those found in general whey protein powders.

BCAA powder is like taking regular protein powder, isolating 3 types of amino acids, and charging an exorbitant amount for the product under the guise of some false benefit.

Now I could be wrong, but my career is in biochemistry type fields and my impression is that BCAA powder is a hardcore scam.

BCAAs are a fucking meme

Also, try eating purely BCAAs for your protein.

Spoiler: You'd die.

I know what you said, but if you are on a high protein diet, you STILL eat it because it is protein.

just put some salt in water and drink it or eat some salted peanuts while working out instead of wasting money on this shit

You don't "eat it for the BCAAs", that's just retarded.

All protein has BCAAs in them, even plants use them. Come on, a biochem major should know this.

That first protein was someone else, but you eat protein because it contains amino acids (BCAA and others), not just because of the calories it contains.

Think we may be arguing the same point.

I'm not a biochem major, but technically no, not all proteins have to contain I,L,V.

>That first protein was someone else

oh jesus, "post" lol

>You will find these amino acids in most proteins, ESPECIALLY those found in general whey protein powders.
You've missed the point of BCAA supplementation. They have been shown to increase muscle protein synthesis when taken on their own. You take them for the acute effect, not because you want to increase the daily intake. Whether or not they make a noticeable difference in gains over time is still an open question though.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16365096

Right, here is the study if anyone is interested, but the point I am trying to make is BCAA powders are bullshit.

All protein, as in everything you eat with protein will have I L V in it. Of course specific proteins can be missing amino acids.

Well right, that's what I originally said.

And really most of that effect stems from leucine and to a smaller extent isoleucine, valine is not as valuable

Makes a small difference but not worth it for Johnny 2platesquat

>the point I am trying to make is BCAA powders are bullshit.
ok, but you have not made that point. your point was that you can get BCAAs through whey (and other foods), but that point is irrelevant since the supposed effect of BCAAs happens when they're taken in on their own. I'm not fully convinced they make a noticeable different either, but I at least try to understand how they're supposed to work before I dismiss them.

Mb, sounded you were excluding foods by saying "most proteins".

>BCAAs have different effects based on whether you consume them with or without other aas

Are you retarded?

Bro. Do you even know what happens to polypeptides once you eat them? They get broken down to their individual residues.

Ok lad here's what you're missing.

Aminos compete for transporters into the cell. So, acutely taking specific aminos has different effects than eating whole protein food because you can achieve higher concentration of specific aminos.

I hope you're aruging about concentration of BCAAs because if not, is right.

christ, go read the relevant literature before you make more posts and make a fool of yourself.

Dipeptides and tripeptides can actually be absorbed whole and have unique effects. Everything bigger than that is split up, though.

I fell for the meme once. Bought two little containers of them. Completely worthless.

bros, just acknowledge that if you drop $40 on ON's BCAA powder, you're a retard.

Oh, acknowledged. I just like to be pedantic.

this supp is a waste of your money.

buy tumeric instead and some msm. that's a good anti-inflammatory combo

Im literally a biochem phd, you're a high schooler so either post some of this "relevant literature" or fuck off.

I am one and yes, they do (99% of them contain all 20 aminoacids, but in different ratios)

>TFW just brought a tub
Could be worse. I'm drinking it instead of having cans of le monnster meme

I've been told by my dad that BCAA is a supplement you should take along with whey powder. You have most the amino acids you need in the whey powder you take, but not all of them. And you need all of them in order to reach full potential. And thats what BCAA does, gives you the ones that are usually hardest to aquire the natural way.
I dont know about you guys but ive been taking BCAA along with whey powder for 3 months now and ive been making pretty good and fast progress.

>You have most the amino acids you need in the whey powder you take, but not all of them.

stupid

You just said 99% meaning not ALL proteins contain ILV.

Jesus fuck learn to read.
>I said you find BCAAs in most proteins
>someone else all proteins have BCAAs
>of course every protein you eat has all 20
>but not EVERY protein (eaten and not) has all 20
>you come in and say yes all proteins contain ILV
>literally in the same sentence 99% do
>99% != all

thanks for proving you're some retarded undergrad

K-G-W-T-P-G-K-G-W-T-P-G-K-G-W-T-P-G-K-G-W-T-P-G-K-G-W-T-P-G-K-G-W-T-P-G-K-G-W-T-P-G-K-G-W-T-P-G

How come this protein doesn't have ILV?
You just said all do?

basically this. layne norton sums it up nicely:
""Even though whey protein is relatively fast digesting, it still takes several hours for all the amino acids to be liberated & absorbed into the bloodstream. BCAAs in supplement form however, are free form BCAAs and require no digestion and are therefore rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream, spiking blood amino acids to a much greater extent than peptide bound amino acids. Even a few grams of BCAAs will spike plasma levels of BCAAs to a much greater extent than a 30g dose of whey protein, impacting protein synthesis and protein degradation to a much greater degree. The reason a supplement has such a powerful effect on blood levels of BCAAs is that unlike other amino acids, BCAAs are not metabolized to a significant extent by the small intestine or the liver, therefore an oral supplement is more like a BCAA injection since it reaches the bloodstream so rapidly.""

BCAA also has no effect on the MPS refractory period.

so, basically, taking BCAAs between meals should increase the total "volume" of MPS during the day. as a pre-workout BCAA prevents catabolism, but they excel post-workout (paired with carbs) to kickstart MPS immediately when the muscles are most responsive

now, whether or not this makes a difference is still open. this is all just based on theories. and this the kind of stuff you can't really notice yourself cause there are too many factors in play. and growing muscle takes time.

I do intermittent fasting and BCAAs help me burn fat instead of muscle when I train with weights or do cardio fasted.

Come at me

You fell for a meme and you don't even understand the science of what you're talking about because you're an ignorant child. Keep wasting your money if you want though.

Not every protein source you eat has all 20 aas, all have I L V tho.