Is 6+ reps just a meme?

Hey I have a weird question about rep-ranges and some fallacies I hear about them in normie-media with "experts" commenting on high vs low rep-range.

They say that high-rep range is as good for building muscle as low-reps; ok i got that. Most studies are made within the duration 8-12 weeks. Me myself do a kinda strongman-moified programme with a big 3x3 focus and I gotta say, my STRENGTH has increased a lot. Everyone at my (commercial) gym do these boring-ass high-rep BodyBuilding-shit with 10+ reps while i just do bench 3x3, deadlifts 3x3, OHP 3x3 etc.

All these studies, do they really take the strength increase into concideration when doing this? Surely after 8 weeks your lifts (as a newbie) has gone so far up, compaired to high-reppers still doing 16lbs dumbbell-curls?

Has high-rep or low-rep worked best for you?
Do you increase strenght or volume first?
More strength should mean easier to increase volume with less working sets? And therefire increase your muscle-mass?

What is the strength-increase for 8+ rep-sets?
I do 3x3 and increase 2-3 lbs per session.

5+ reps, are they just a meme to stall ppl, shilling them into supplements?

Stats: OHP 47 kg (195 lbs), Bench 75kg (165 lbs), Deadlifts 140 kg (310 lbs).

184 cm tall, 6'"1
102 kg when started lifting , now 95 kg
225lbs -> 210

I have lifted for 4 weeks,

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=lrM1wKtFmAQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>lifted for four weeks

Your numbers are going to bump up rapidly regardless. The most scientifically proven method for growth and strength is lift heavier shit for more reps than last time.

Yeah I know the numbers will increase, but will they increase as much for 8-12 rep iso-exercises? Not as much as compounds (as a beginner), I don't think so. Then you get stronger=bigger.

As the study(ies) show high and low-rep sets increase muscle mass equally... soo what do you really have to lose by doing fewer reps, with higher intensity to get stronger faster at a newbie level? You get the same muscles, but they are also stronger.

When you finally max out strength at current level, it is easy to increase volume, just go from 3x3 to 5x5, or do 5x5 bench, then 5x5 flies. BOOM! Super increase in hypertrophy. While all the other wankers barely doubled their 3x12 lifts in a year.

A guy benching 140 kg for 5x5, then dips or flies for 5x5 would be a lot bigger than some guy doing 3x12 80 kg bench.

More muscles = more power = more strength imo.

6+ reps banned the fuck out!

no replies? sad

You are a tard.

Those studies control for training volume.

Volume is the only factor associated with hypertrophy (assuming adequate recovery)

Lets say you bench 225 for 5

Three sets of your 5rm is 3375 (3x5x225) of volume, and hard to recover from.

Or you can drop the weight down to 195 and do 3x10 for a volume of 5850 and less tax on your recovery..

3x5 is ideal for novice.
Intermediates need more volume

60-75% of your 1rm is ideal for maximal hypertrophy work

m.youtube.com/watch?v=lrM1wKtFmAQ

>As the study(ies) show high and low-rep sets increase muscle mass equally

....WHEN CONTROLLING FOR VOLUME.

If you equate the volume, reps don't matter.

Calculate the volume yourself (setsxrepsxload) to see how fucktarded you are

Nothing wrong with 3x3 but at some point the 3x3 will be impossible to complete without form breakdown or failure because the weight is too heavy. At that stage you could probably just take weight off and increase sets but still do triples i.e 5x3, 6x3. Other rep ranges are beneficial though for other reasons, namely because doing heavy low rep sets on things like curls, tricep pushdowns and other small movements can fuck you up with tendonitis etc. Technically you could do triples forever on all compounds and just increase sets over time but at some stage the weights will have to be moderate to get enough volume in and it'll make more sense to do 6x5 over 10x3

So how is intensity harder to recover from than volume? I don't get it. Gonna watch that video, thanks bro

Yeah this is what i meant, when you max out your strength, go down to 8 reps or something with more sets with a lower weight.

Why wouldn't you max strength first?

It is so easy to increase volume when you have some basic strength allready.

8-12 is good for assistance exercises.

In the long strength gains of lower reps would make it easier to increase workload/volume.

Would people doing 10x10 of 51% max intensity make as fast strength gains as a 3x3 or 5x5? at 80-90%?

>how is it harder to recover from 3x5 then 3x10?
Dyel?
Have you ever lifted before?

Go to a gym and do a set of 5rm and a set of 10rm and tell me which put more stress on yor body

For linear progression I agree, hence saying 3x5 is ideal for novices

Intermediate lifters cannot add weight rapidly enough and require more volume anyways

Even powerlifters work at 75% 1rm and below, when they advance past novice

3x3 or 5x5 are superior in increasing strength faster for a beginner, also upping volume at that strength peak is easier.

The people at your gym fizzing about with LIGHTWEIGHTBABBY(tm) wont get strong (and then later; huge) as fast.

Maybe I'm a genetic freak.
I do Deads, Bench, OHP and assistance work 3 times a week, then once a weak I do 20 x 5 assistance work on everything.

If I did 3x10's I could go every day I feel like.

But yeah, I imagine later on recovering from a 5x5 80 kg OHP would be harder than a 3x10 30 Kg OHP

I wasn't giving a specific prescription of 3x10, only showing that compared to 3x5 it gives more volume and more recovery.

Everyone has a different tolerance for training volume.

Just calculate the volume, and progressively overload it throughout the accumulation stage of your mesocycle, regardless of how much volume you require

Ok, so you agree on increasing your weights first with constant (preferably low) set/rep/volume, to later on add more volume with same or 80% weight is better than:

Doing shit load of volume with low weights and hoping for some slow strength gains, or are both methods about equal?

Correct.

3x5 as a novice is objectively the best

As an intermediate you should be using a variety of rep ranges

>Implying if you don't need much recovery/rest because oh gih vol / low-intensity means you are getting as much gains

>what is max-recoverable volume?
I fear you may be undertraining.

yeah i get that, and I get that recovery time increases with intensity more than volume.
But intensity is superior for strength gains early for a lifter.

Why do all DYEL at my gym fag around with PPL-ish and BodyBuilder shit? They havent increased their weights in months, and therefore their volume.

If you dont need to rest after a workout, either the intensity or volume is too low.

>why do dyels at my gym do dumb bro shit
Because 99% of fitness enthusiasts are under educated in fitness

Think of how even powerlifters will dial the intensity down to increase recovery and get some volume in.

Additional volume and recovery helps you add weight/make strength gains.

It isn't like you can't add weight if you work over 3-5 reps.

But yes. Progressive overload is literally the only aspect you should concern yourself with.

Sounds like an overly simplistic generalization that isn't applicable to everyone.

I outlift you and feel fresh as a daisy after my volume days, and even after most intensity days. Power days take it out of me, though

I think OP is trying to say: People at my gym do ridiculous ammounts of volume, at a too low intensity. If you can do 5000+ reps in one session your intensity is too low.

Op does like 50 reps per body part with higher intensity and see greater strength gains. Studies support this, but also that muscle mass increase regardless of rep-range if you account for volume.

Higher Intensity will eventually lead to more needed recovery time, dyels at his gym rest more than they need, thus not doing any gains.

If your 1rm is dogshit, obviously lifting 60% of it will do nothing.

I don't think anyone is debating that.

I don't think Veeky Forums "does" meso-cycles.

If OP doesn't get sore, can increase weights regurarely it's great. Keep going.

Add volume when you peak as planned. Higher intensity is better for begiiners

>banned the fuck out!
way to expose yourself

> I have lifted for 4 weeks,

Just stop fucking thinking and lift. All sorts of different rep ranges have their place, both in strength persuits and in bodybuilding.

Look if their 1rm is tough as shit FOR THEM then 60% of it FOR THEM will do a lot.

What you think of as a dog shit 1rm has fuck all to do with anything.

>once a weak

Yeah I bet you are

I think everyone above novice level uses training mesocycles (i.e. 2-4 weeks of volume accumulation and 7-10 days of deload/rest)

>you can get big curling a coffee cup to failure!
DYEL confirmed

If you're maxed out on extra weights aren't more reps better than nothing?