Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11390050
t-nation.com/training/truth-about-ass-to-grass-squats
youtube.com/watch?v=zriYiPfvRjE
youtube.com/watch?v=NQD4Y_R4mOo
youtu.be/KGEKRjlZKf8?t=3m32s
criticalmas.com/2013/12/dorian-yates-squatting/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I've never seen anyone squatting below parallel with more than 1pl8 and I've seen 1/4 squatting with 3pl8 and that's how I imagine all the Veeky Forumsizens who claim they surpassed 1pl8 in their second week

It hurtz dem kneez famalam :^)

Do legpress in this 5000$ machine instead!

I used to go allthe way down but >buttwink so now im tryig to reduce depth to just below parrallel

Squattin 110kg rn for reps, my form isnt still perfect but im workin on it.

4months in

it's really crazy how many solid gains are lost due to ego lifting

I'll never understand this.

If you train ATG squats from day 1 this isn't ever an issue.

People just don't squat below parallel because they never do from day 1, and then they just keep on squatting that way.

>middle aged guy literally squats 1/4 of the distance, barely bending knees
>put on slightly more weight than me
>give me a cocky look afterwards

DIE NORMIE

I ATG 120KG front squat for reps. I have great mobility.

i played football for 10 years without stretching as a kid and am extremely stiff because of it

I try to hit at least parallel, but not much bellow that because it kills my knees. I highbar ATG'd 4plate for a few reps last week and my bad knee flared up immediately.

Lowbar parallel squats are optimal for joint health.

>Lowbar parallel squats are optimal for joint health.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11390050

>CONCLUSIONS:
Squatting from 70 degrees to 110 degrees of knee flexion had little effect on patellofemoral joint kinetics. The relative constancy of the patellofemoral joint reaction force and joint stress appeared to be related to a consistent knee extensor moment produced across the three squatting depths.

ugh i know the feel..
>try maxing out on the squat for the first time
>only done squats for a month at the time cus bro split
>middle aged guy asks me if he can work in
>say "sure"
>he turns it into a competition on who could squat the most
>what i squatted, he squatted
>im squatting ATG and he's squatting with extremely bad form that looks painful and half repping

Because it's hard. Last summer I was squatting for a couple months and thought I was getting pretty low. One day i bumped into a friend at the gym and got him to record me - it turned out i was barely hitting 1/2 ROM.

Essentially there's two problems with squatting: 1) it's nigh impossible to intuitively know if you're going past parallel without videoing yourself and 2) squatting more (with no other changes) does not improve your ROM, no matter how hard you try.

It's crazy. If you aren't going to squat below parallel, the just do deadlifts.

There are only two reasons for a normie to train the squat:

>Streatch Reflex
>Range of motion

You only get those benefits if you go below parallel.

>squat below parallel
>knees crackle
It keeps making a sound like cracking your knuckles. It'll happen even if I'm only squatting 1 pl8.
It doesn't hurt but its kind of disconcerting.
Is it something to worry about?

You realize that a parallel low bar squat has a knee flexion angle of AT LEAST 110 degrees?/

Meaning this study is pointless and doesn't include data on below parallel knee flexion angles

Great blog my friend! Rated & Subscribed! Hope to see your post in my RSS feed

Was happening to me, too. Turns out i had gotten bursitis (that sac between joints that makes it all lubricated n shit popped). My knees are so fucked up now that i have to go above parallel every time.

Back squats make me feel unstable as fuck if I try to go below parallel but I can front squat so low my ass almost touches the ground.

Is this normal?

Just warm up proprely dump niggers. Do like 2 sets of 10 squats without any weighr, after that your knees will be ready

I wonder how big your ego have to be to put oneself about peer reviewed science

Sounds like your hips and spine/pelvis aren't warmed up yet when you back out of the rack.

Are you squatting in the AM ? If so... try going to the gym *after* work/school when you have been moving around for a handful of hours.

Squatting in the PM might make all the difference. You body may not be "awake" if you're trying it in the AM.

>just thinking

I used to go atg, but I almost snapped my shit up so now I go below parallel and call it a day

If you live in the first world, you probably don't have the flexibility to properly squat without fucking your shit up.

Time to stretch, nigger.

This guy gets it.

If you're going to squat in the morning, do some Lat pull downs first.

Not pull-ups.

Lat Pulldowns.

This will warm up your spine and shoulder joints.

Sucks being a 23 yo with "hockey goal keeper knees", as in my knees make my legs to turn outwards a little by default, resulting in uneven erosion in my knees. Doc said when im 50 my knees will be super shit. They already snap badly and I cant do shit for legs.

Atm Im just doing some hipthrusts for my ass, RDL DBs for my hammies and pretty much fucking nothing for quads. Was thinking of trying some smith machine low weight high rep exhaustion squats to get my legs sore. Quite sure Im gonna be too scared for them to ever add much weight to gain strenght in them, a bit of muscle might come but thatll do.

>warming up squats
>bad knee pain that gets worse and worse
>no pain at all at working weight
In starting to get concerned

>tfw do 1.7pl8 ass to grass and fit will call me dyel

It's funny because my legs are bigger than literally all of the guys in the gym lifting 3 pl8s for quarter reps.

My uni gym

>people barely hit parallel
>their knees buckle inwards as they 'drive' up
>all weight is on their toes
>squat mornings

and to make it worse

>they use pussy pads

I swear I'm like one of 3 or 4 people who actually go ATG. Genuinely hurts seeing people who squat with such shocking form, plus when you give advice they just ignore it. Smh.

t-nation.com/training/truth-about-ass-to-grass-squats

what do you guys think of this guys words about ATG

This will help me with feeling like I'm going to fall over backwards?

I don't care, when they inevitably injure themselves it becomes less competition for me.

Literally yesterday there was a guy in my gym squatting 355 for reps.

Happens a lot when you aren't in Planet Fitness.

>tfw atg squat and shit

2 of the 3 gyms I go to have quite a number of legitimately strong folks that hit at least parallel. I'm one of like 3 other people in all my gyms that hit atg on high bar

Sitting in front of a computer all my life has left me immobile as fuck. Can't go parallel with heavy weight, my lower back starts tucking in and it's a snapcity there.
I don't get the required mobility by squatting. Even with zero weights I get back pain when I force myself go low.

What I do is stretch twice every day. Already have made some mobility gains. Sooner or later I can squat how it is supposed to be done. It just takes time to undo all the damage all that inactivity and sitting has done over the years.

Becausey lower back rounds just as i begin to go below parallel

Due to flexibility issues. Somewhere in my hips. It's not buttwink, it's definitely my entire lower quarter/third of my back, as high as my pelvis goes.

Any ideas?

I just did 1pl8 today again woo

Proper depth low bar cos SS

Felt good. I weigh 64kg and don't always get to train regular cos of my job (and I'm not that committed) but I love the full body workout SS gives.

You need to work on proper hip stretching. It's harder for men to stretch their actual hips because of their cock muscles. Most just end up stretching their hamstrings and back and thinking that they're stretching their hips.

Breaking parallel has more to do with competition.

Sport specific training often frowns upon the full squat.

In terms of the "correct" way to squat there are many and depending upon the desired results 1/4 1/2 3/4 full and ass to grass all have there place.

In other words lift your own weights and ignore other people.

1/4 squatter detected

Probably due to a weak posterior chain. SLDLs come to mind as a fix, among other similar movements.

>dude with Chad tier genetics comes in the gym
>honestly one of the most attractive guys I've ever seen
>no homo
>walks up to squat rack
>half squats 1 plate
>nigger are you serious
>throws another plate on
>pls no
>half reps it
>catches me staring at him laughing to myself
>thinks I'm mirin the weight he's doing or something
>smirks
Fuck you chad.

Squatting atg hits my left knee with a sharp nerve pain so I just do parallel

This is the same guy that will walk across the gym to ask a girl to spot him on his 1.5plate half Rep bench. I just want to be like him.

thats fucking bullshit, you knew you werent going deep enough at least dont lie to your fucking self

This is okay. ATG is a meme anyway

Yes and No.

First guess is you wear running shoes when you squat. This causes 2 primary issues the first is your start position has you rocked forward what you want is your foot to be parallel to the floor. The second is as you squat the shoes absorb the weight causing your once to high heels to now sink below your toes. The second issue gets worst as the weight goes up.

If you are wearing proper shoes or no shoes then you likely have a issue with form or hip mobility depending if low bar or high bar squat.

We really need a video where the camera is parallel to the floor at hip height

>people that do the bare minimum depth

>people that don't do ass-to-ankles pause squats

youtube.com/watch?v=zriYiPfvRjE

The problem is when people are smug about squatting more weight than you with 1/4 of the rom

IMHO you are not properly breathing so you lack the proper intra abdominal pressure.

If you low bar squat try high bar and vice versa.

Same for my right knee, although it only hurts when my knee is under pressure at parallel, above and below that point it's fine. I just end up dive bombing my squat to atg and then bouncing out of the hole

Right because I said the various depths of squats have different results its assumed by you I only 1/4 squat.

Sounds like your projecting.

Let them be smug. You know better and everyone else knows better. Captain 1/4 squatter is of no concern.

What do you guys respond to all those videos saying that there is no real or mechanical benefit in squatting ATG because the whole motion beyond the parallel position is completely superfluous?

Body proportions
People with long femurs have to fold in half to do it

this

What? How can it be hard to notice that your calves are touching your hamstrings? there is absolutely no reason to stop your squat before you hit the bottom

"muh knees" guys don't know what they are doing / have injuries not related to ATG squatting

>hip flexors get fucked up if i squat low
kill me

if I had a thousand dollars for every squat I see in my gym done below parallel, I'd be a broke motherfucker

My legs and femurs are long. Have non shitty ankle mobility and you can get your knees further forward which is not ideal but it better than squatting like Layne Norton.

I didn't even know I wasn't going hips below knees till I filmed myself.

that's just not true. Just let your knees go forward i.e. WAY past your feet to compensate for that

>regularly do over 3 plate below parallel
>catch people mirin me

This is the best feel

Here you go: "squatting too low is a problem"

youtube.com/watch?v=NQD4Y_R4mOo

I can't wrap my head around low bar and it hurts my shoulders for some reason whenever I try it so I stick to high bar. How many gainz am I killing?

Body proportions matter a lot. Look at this guy.
youtu.be/KGEKRjlZKf8?t=3m32s
>Just let your knees go forward
sure bro, watch the video

he's low bar squatting

I don't understand.
He's basically saying that ATG squats are bad because he's using momentum, that's his problem.

So?

I don't think I have enough mobility to go much below parallel. Parallel is good enough for me (not that I have a choice).

Any recommendations for hip stretches and mobility?

Would back extensions help with this? I've recently introduced them into my routine

because it's insane how much easier it is when you don't squat below parallel so people get to load up 2pl8 and feel stronk

I was just doing atg yesterday at 230 lbs. And if you looked at me I'm dyel

My max squat is just 2pl8, but I tried squatting below parallel with just 1 pl8 the other week and I seriously thought my knees were going to explode. How do you guys do it?

Also are you guys flexible to squat down in like a sitting position while keeping your heels on the ground? I was hanging out with other people and I was the only one who couldn't do it, even though I'm fitter than a few of them.

>2pl8
>stronk

I put pl8s under my heels like a dyel

HIP DRAAAAAAAAAAAHVE

I've been going ATG for a bit now, but I always feel it mostly in my VM. Is it something with the form or are the other quad muscles not as simulated?

Of course I fucking didn't. Why would I continue squatting if I knew that for certain?

I managed to fix it in the end mainly through goblet squats and mobility. But I would have remained on that path if I hadn't have got someone to record me.>

>40076659
You can go past parallel without touching your hamstrings pressing against your calves. Some people don't even have the proportions to achieve that.

I think the guy was implying that 2pl8 wasn't strong, just that the type of guy who think it is, would only go parallel to reach it

going that low is just autism and essentially resting at the bottom in a slav squat lmfao

I'm just shitposting m8, I knew what he was goin for :^)

mobility? There is no reason for somebody who does not compete in powerlifting or bodybuilding, or plays a sport to squat that deep. The depths required to satisfy the autists on this board would be hard to find even with some actual athletes. If you go to the gym to look good there is absolutely no reason you need to reach the flexibility to squat atg. Don't let autists tell you wrong and let you risk an injury for the sake of their Veeky Forums ego. You don't even need squats to have good looking legs, sure they're good, but there isn't one way of doing anything

>lifts like a dyel
>looks like a dyel

it checks out

Carry on, Veeky Forumsizen

Practice with no weight, then the bar, and then with weight on it.

Pause when you're not doing working sets.

>You don't even need squats to have good looking legs
I never saw somebody with nice legs who doesn't squat.
Does Scooby1961 have nice legs? Checkmate leglet.

>tfw when this is me at the gym.
S-Sorry. I'll do it the proper way from now on.

stay tuned

>Click here
>"From 1992-1997, the top physique in the world didn’t back squat"

criticalmas.com/2013/12/dorian-yates-squatting/

Started SL and squatting atg a month ago, just hit 1 pl8 atg. Feels good. Favorite thing is seeing people snicker at my low weight and then seeing them go 1/4 down with like 3 pl8s. Fucking normies.

>dorian yates
Easy to relate to.

Partial motions allow you to train heavier than you can squat full ROM and allow you to better hit the muscles that otherwise wouldn't be getting as good of a workout. Also good for your tendons and joints to get used to the heavier weight, and they will get thicker faster than if you kept doing low weight. Then there's the psychological benefit of getting used to being under more weight so it won't feel as heavy when you try to full squat it. Once you've been lifting longer than 6 months hopefully you grow out of being a pretentious dickhead and realize that while some people do quarter reps and think they're hot shit, there are in fact legitimate reasons to do those things.

Post pic faggot

high bar has less carry-over to deadlifts, so you might lose out on some progress there.

My squat technique is pretty shitty, cant go down, will try low bar, maybe this will do it.
Knees hurt instant if i go too low.

you shouldnt atg low bar but you should if you can high bar

Do you not squat in front of a mirror? You don't need a camera to know that you're being a little bitch.

>There are only two reasons for a normie to train the squat:
>>Streatch Reflex
>>Range of motion