How do people do long distance running?

How do people do long distance running?

It is the must tedious, monotonous and painful form of exercise imaginable. It is constant effort for 20-30 minutes.

I still run at least 3-5k a week but any more than that is just boring. Other forms of cardio such as boxing are far superior.

Lifting is fun. There are a wide range of exercises to do, and you lift for a short amount of time then rest for 1-2 minutes or so. You get a sickening pump and can admire yourself in the mirror. You also look aesthetic as a byproduct and not like a skeleton.

Other urls found in this thread:

runnersworld.com/injury-treatment/osteoarthritis-in-runners
everydayhealth.com/news/what-joint-docs-say-about-running/
npr.org/2011/03/28/134861448/put-those-shoes-on-running-wont-kill-your-knees
content.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1948208,00.html
well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/25/why-runners-dont-get-knee-arthritis/?_r=0
health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/on-fitness/2008/08/12/3-myths--and-1-truth--about-running-and-your-health
iaaf.org/about-iaaf/documents/technical
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

wow what a great new episode of "My opinions are facts"

The internet sure never stops making them!

The problem with todays people is that they constantly want to be overstimulated. They cannot sit the fuck down with no electronics and look at the beach anymore, no , it's all beep boops all day.

Same as your running autism. Try to run for 2-3 hours at a comfortable pace. It awakens a primal joy in you that stays for like 2 days after.

But how is running for cardio fun?

Any other form of cardio is far more varied and enjoyable. Boxing, cycling etc

Some people think on the toilet. Others do it on the road.

Once you're adapted to the work, it's a great place to do whatever head magic you need to that day.

I thought the same as you until I actually started running more than pathetically short distances.

I've actually started to feel the opposite, nothing compares to that high you get after running 5+ miles. The shitty pump you get after lifting lasts about 10 minutes.

I do both but don't kid yourself that because you're too lazy to do cardio lifting is better.

I might try running slower but doing a longer distances (5-10k), that might be more enjoyable.

These. It's a great stress reliever once you get used to it. You kinda get the same feeling as when you were a kid taking a road trip with your dad on a sunny and just kept looking out of the car window

t. former long distance runner.

>on a sunny day

Don't knock it till you try it

How fast do you run currently?

how is ur super negative opinions any fit related? if anything they're beta and cuck as fuck

I'd enjoy distance running if it weren't for the pain in my shins

Stick to sprinting for cardio

braaaappppffftttt

I used to run before I started lifting, averaged about 30-40 miles a week. It was just a great chance to get out the house and forget about everything, it was exhausting but meditative at the same time, I could really zone out sometimes. Fuck shorter runs though, I run the mile to my gym and I hate it. Same for treadmill running, that's the most boring form of exercise imaginable; staring at the same thing and constantly having to make sure you don't misstep and fall.

are you running on a treadmill or outdoors? treadmills are boring as fuck. it's much more enjoyable running outdoors. just listen to some music or a podcast

i used to run but i twisted my ankle so i switched to cycling while i was recovering and it was the best choice i did.

doing 100+ km runs daily and seeing the country is amazing, not the mention the leg gains. now i hardly run anymore.

About 4:40-5 mins a km depending on how far I'm going.

>I used to run before I started lifting

Why not do both? You probably couldn't combine a 30-40 mile a week routine with consistent lifting but I don't see why you couldn't do 15-20

Long distance runners are weirdos and autists.

Long distance running is like squatting the bar 100 times. No one normal wants to do it because it is boring and unimpressive.

Spiriting is the way to go. It's the cardio version of lifting heavy weights.

Crossfit is the cardio version of lifting heavy weights.

That's a decent pace over long distances, ,maybe try dropping it to about 5:30/km until you can bring it up again.

How is cycling 30 mins more fun than running 30 mins?

Whoops, by cardio version I meant running version.

I've run 9 ultra marathons and have gone as far as 100mi in 1 race. I'm super impressed you can bench 225 x 3 man. Tell me more about you have the strength of any average man that looks after himself. Me included....

My knees started turning to shit, would constantly ache. Lifting doesn't have any negative effect on them. I still run occasionally when I'm cutting but that's just to help create a deficit when I know I'll otherwise struggle.

I'm not sure I trust drivers enough to take up cycling

But how fast did you do the ultra marathon? Is time even a factor for you or do you just care about finishing an ultramarathon? Even I've done an ultra marathon but it's not an achievement because I did it so slowly, face it anyone moderately fit can do an ultra marathon, they just don't want to.

>long distance running
>20-30 minutes

kekking @ u

Heh, sun.. I haven't seen the sun in about a week now...

Flat feet?

>How do people do long distance running?

Runners high.

Not the guy above

If you've done 5+ halfs and full marathons you start paying more attention to time. First goal was under 4:00 marathon, which led to under 5:00 50k, under 3:30 marathon and 1:30 half

You can always find a cool place to run

>Today's run (1/2)

>(2/2)

looks cold as shit 0/10

Nah if anything i run on the balls of my feet

>20, 30 minutes

Lmao pleb, you build to 1 hour every day and like 2 hours on sunday if you don't want to be a fucking hobbyjogger and run 20 min in a 5k

>Not nordic skiing instead

Nigga you're doing this wrong.

>3-5k a week
>long distance
Pick one, OP. The problem is you, not running.

wow what a great episode of "you are a faggot"

>3-5k a week

Try 5-10k a day, even that is pretty casual

Not that big of a fan, that's all

Did you just fucking screenshot and crop his post instead of quoting it

What in the eternal fuck

I bet you look like utter shit though

How do people do lifting?

It is the must tedious, monotonous and painful form of exercise imaginable. It is a small amount of effort for a short amount of time with lots of rests between sets of picking things up and putting them down.

I still lift 2pl8 4 times a week but any more than that is just boring. Other forms of resistance training are far superior.

Running is fun. There are a wide range of exercises to do such as tempos and sprints, and you run for a long period of time. You get an excellent runner's high and feel good about all the glycogen you have used, showing your muscles better. You actually do look healthy unlike a vain asshole who thinks he is healthy just because he has some muscle and can pick up weights yet barely has any cardiovascular endurance.

See, two can play that game. People with actual sense do both, not one or the other. Even lifters benefit from running, with the same with runners bemefit from lifting. But 3-5k per week? I know aesthetic as fuck lifters who run sub 4-hour marathons no problem. Step it up, OP.

>20-30 minutes
Um sir sorry to break it to you but you e never done long distance running. Once you've ran for 11 miles straight and never slowed your pace once, then you can complain. Until then, keep running.

>Long-distance running, or endurance running, is a form of continuous running over distances of at least three kilometres (1.86 miles).
Get rekt faggot

>OH SHIT, AN ULTRARUNNER THAT BLEW ME THE FUCK OUT. BETTER COMMENT ON APPEARANCE INSTEAD OF COUNTERING ABOUT MY SHITTY SELF BECAUSE HE IS RIGHT--I'M A BORING VAIN PERSON.

>I've ran over a mile, I'm therefore a long distance runner.

IAAF defines long distance running as anything over 3k.
400m and under is sprints
800m to 3k is middle distance
3k+ is long distance

Sure, but it's babby long distance. Actual long distance runners laugh at it just like how 400 sprinters laugh at sprinters below it even though they considered sprints. Quit trying to justify yourself as a long distance runner.

What?
I'm a sprinter I'm hardly angling to be the long distance running club.
Also the idea that the running a longer distance makes you a superior athlete is ludicrous.
Someone who runs 5k in 16 minutes is a vastly superior athlete to someone who runs a Marathon in 3 hours.

>is a vastly superior athlete to someone who runs a Marathon in 3 hours.
Athletic in what terms? Are you saying specificity is not a thing?

Was super into running before I fucked my ankle. My grandfather was a competitive runner and now his knees are blown to shit, so I may have saved myself in the long run.

Poor souls sacrifice their joints for a few years of fun, you have my sympathy

Oh boy, this broscience shit again from faggots who are afraid to run long distance.

runnersworld.com/injury-treatment/osteoarthritis-in-runners
everydayhealth.com/news/what-joint-docs-say-about-running/
npr.org/2011/03/28/134861448/put-those-shoes-on-running-wont-kill-your-knees
content.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1948208,00.html
well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/25/why-runners-dont-get-knee-arthritis/?_r=0
health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/on-fitness/2008/08/12/3-myths--and-1-truth--about-running-and-your-health

Tl;dr--it helps your knees out and runners have less arthritis in the knees later in life.

Maybe next time you should learn how to run properly. Maybe then, you wouldn't had to fuck up your ankles and your granddad wouldn't have fucked up his knees.

I day dream when I'm running, helps me do 5k without getting tired.

>In what terms
In being a runner
If you have person A: who runs 5ks and has a PB of 16min for the 5k
And you have person B: who runs marathons and has a PB of 3 hours for a marathon

Person A is a better runner.

what the fuck are those socks

But neither is better than each other. They run specific to their sport. That's specificity. Marathoners will train more endurance and won't focus as much on speed drills as a 5ker. Many marathoners are excellent at running 5k's, and many excellent 5k runners can easily train to do an excellent marathon time. However, they train more specific to their sport. None are better than the other.

>"Running will fuck my knees, but all those squats and deadlifts won't for sure!"

You are entitled to your incorrect opinion

your logic is very uninformed

hi guys im not really a runner. I've done water sports my whole life and now i just do stairclimber for cardio. My feet hurt a bit when i run and its a deterrent along with the fact that i'm not good at it. What should i look for in shoes that support flat feet well?

so are you

I squat so I can lift myself off the toilet at 80 unassisted, you fucking idiot. Deadlifts and squats have done nothing but help my knees and back

>opinion turned around
>b...b...but your opinion is wrong!!"
That wasn't the point, idiot. Anyone saying "such and such is boring" says soething about the person, not the activity. Peope find lifting boring but cardio fun, and vice versa. To disagree shows how much of a kid you are.

Once you get used to it, it is relaxing and you get a big runners high

Yet triathletes and runners do that just fine at that age.

All facts. Today op was not a faggot. I incline walk on treadmills while reading and listening to classical music to keep me engaged. Due to my ADD this is the only way I can actually focus on tedious books like philosophy. The combination of all 3 keeps me engaged for up to an hour b4 crippling boredom sets in.

Not sure I follow your logic. You say neither is better than each other, why because they do different events?
If so does that mean Mo Farah is not a better athlete than me because I'm a sprinter?

It can objectively proved that a 16minute 5K is a better performance than a 3 hour marathon.

How so?

Mo Farah is a LDR, not a sprinter. He trains in long distance running, not as a sprinter. Two different distances. Specificity. Stop trying with the "sprinters vs runners" bullshit. The reason Mo Farah is better athlete than you is because he can sprint faster and complete a long distance run faster than you. Compare with like events.

Name of that girl?

ran 7km today, felt so fucking good. If it gets boring why not try a new route?

Person A runs 5kms @ ~3:05 pace
Person B runs ~42kms @ ~ 4:15 pace

Person A's performance is better when considering only pace, but pace is not the only factor in running - distance (repetition, if you will) weighs in. Let me demonstrate with a practical example.

Who's likely the stronger bench presser; the guy who can put up 405lbs 3x5, or the guy who can put up 300lbs 3x42? (these weight and repetition ratios are equivalent, roughly, to the time and distance ratios provided in your example).

Then, practically speaking... (and likely similar to the bench press example), the guy running the marathon at ~4:15/km pace can very probably do 5kms at at least the same pace, if not notably faster than the guy running 5kms at ~3:05/km pace.

Well he can't sprint faster than me so I assume we are equally good athletes.
Look man sorry to upset you but it's common in Track and running in general to compare performances in different events, that's why the governing body has a huge booklet giving a numerical score to each performance in each event, so you can compare which performance is best.

It's also really common in the sporting world to compare athletes in two completely different sports (such as comparing Roger Federer against Wayne Rooney)

Biking is easier to incorporate into your day, as either transportation or for fun

>objectively
In what terms? 5k runners are more liely to use more power compared to marathoners and have fast twitch muscle fibers. Marathoners are more liely to have slow twitch fibers that will help more in endurance runs.

How do I get a cute BRAAAAAAAAAAP gf like her?

Run with scenery; pretend your running through a battlefield instead of half-arsing it

I used to think that
After a couple of weeks I started to enjoy it though, I only run about 4-5 miles 3 times a week right now but my times are okay and I'm liking the constant improvement. It's one of those things I don't really want to do, but while I do it (and after I do it) it's fine

waiting for VR running simulators.

Well, I like to do a jog like 10-15 minutes before I lift. That way I'm more awake and not fatigued after warming up.

Additionally, there's relative competitiveness to consider (and this is probably the best indication of comparative performance across dramatically different competitions). Good high school runners are running 16min 5kms. A sub 3hr marathon is like 95th percentile even among marathon runners, whom are already pretty elite because upping and running a marathon doesn't happen - that shit takes powerful dedication and drive - whereas 5kms are easier than every-day workouts.

Whatever you do, don't be like me and try to take on too much too fast. After being an on and off runner for three years I decided to run a lot. Fucking injured myself and knocked myself out of commission for a month. Build a steady base first and add +10% of your weekly distance to the next week (the max you can safely do).

To simulate the running or the scene?

>20 min 5k
Why mention that? It's the running equivalent of a 180lb bench

fuck cardio

>pace is not the only factor in running
Well since running a race as fast as you can is the only factor in running then I would say it is.

Ignoring that point however I think a good way to deem how good a performance is, is by how many people can do it.
Using the times I posted (though to be fair they were arbitrary and the point I really wanted to make is that someone who runs a 5k well is more impressive than someone who runs a marathon meh) in the UK, last year

515 people ran the 5K time (or faster)
2862 people ran the Marathon time (or faster)

Not the most scientific data set but hopefully you get what I mean.

>fuck cardio

Anything equal to or less than 10K foot races are considered "sprint" races by the majority of the running community.

According to the IAAF Scoring Tables of Athletics which is set up to compare performances between events; a 16 min 5K gives you a score of 640 and a 3 hour marathon gives you a score of 440.
For comparisons sake a 640 marathon score = 2h43m

So you can see a big difference

>still comparing apples to oranges
False comparison. You have tet to define objective criteria on athletic performance. Is it about strength and power, or more about endurance? Your comparison os still shit. Why not compare the amount of ultrarumners who completed 100 mile races then?

And yet this "running community" can barely 100m in under 10s and look like skinny malinkies

What are they basong the scores on? It's still an apples to oranges comparison.

>It is the must tedious, monotonous and painful form of exercise imaginable. It is constant effort for 20-30 minutes.

think of the most boring person you know. The guy that has a few boring friends, not a great job, and generally has a shitty life.

Okay now double that. That's your standard run fag.

Different sports completely. Top marathoners are basically sprinting the whole fucking race. I can't even comprehend the amount of endurance needed to achieve those speeds.

They are basing the scores
on "The Scoring Tables of Athletics are based on exact statistical data and according to the following
principles:
The scores in the tables of different events cover equivalent performances. Therefore, the tables can be
used to compare results achieved in different athletic events."

Go argue with the IAAF over their statistical analysis,but it's been used in the sport for years and is not disputed.
Go read it yourself
iaaf.org/about-iaaf/documents/technical
It's under scoring tables.

>Top marathoners are basically sprinting the whole fucking race
No they aren't. They are never sprinting, it's literally impossible to sprint 26 miles

Now that you do mention it I rate I could only do 1-2k's at that speed... but I'm more or less referring to pretentious runners that I see often