RUNNING VS WALKING

Does running a given distance burn more calories than walking the same distance?

It's obvious that the cardio benefits would be greater, but I'm curious about the energy consumption.

And for anyone who has a background in neuroscience, does running a given distance increase levels of BDNF [Brain Derived Neurotrophic Factor] more than briskly walking?

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=metabolic equivalent
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yes, way way more. CMON

*BRAAAAAAAP*

increases your heart rate more so yeah prob

Running for 1 hour uses more calories than walking 1 hour. Walking and running the same distance is about the same calorie wise.

>does moving faster require more energy

Jesus, are you fucking retarded?

It's not that retarded of a question. Think about it this way. You use more gas going 10 miles at 20mph than you do going 40mph

That's different.

Just ask yourself, would you be more tired if you walked 5 miles or if you ran 5 miles?

Tiredness isn't a good measure of how many calories you've burned you nutsack. By your logic, resting actually generates calories.

Well you can walk a LOT more than you can run so that must mean something.

moving faster for a shorter amount of time

No, it doesn't because you still burn calories to live, retard.

So why does a car burn more gas the faster you go?

I've tested this with my Garmin, around double the calories for running same distance (tested over 5k)

You guys are all idiots, it's a curve. Meaning walking 1 mph is inefficient per mile, as is running 10mph. I can't say what the optimal speed would be, maybe around 4 or so, but the point is that it isn't a linear relationship.

Whoop there it is

The equation for work = force x distance
Time isn't in the equation.

Walking is more efficient than running though so the force is less.

Running burns more calories for the same distance.

Just got done running. Ran 4.1 miles. New PR. 600 calories burned. Walked another mile too cool down burnt 80 calories. This is just what s health says so take it how you will. You can do the math

You can't look at this using work. Try holding a dumbbell up with straight arms no work is done. You have to keep putting energy in canceling out gravitational pull.

lmgtfy.com/?q=metabolic equivalent

Who is this meat mistress?

Fuck off. This will never be a meme.

Not sure if trolling or retarded