/csg/ Combat Sports General

COMBAT SPORTS GENERAL

>Why start learning?
Defend yourself without going to court for a manslaughter charge.
It's fun as fuck, and a way to entertain yourself without vidya.
It's non-boring cardio.

>What start learning?
If you're interested in striking arts, try boxing, or Muay Thai if you're less interested in mobility, head movement, but more interested in learning elbows, knees, and kicks.

>But grappling?
BJJ schools are the easiest to come by, but wrestling is going to give you the most control on the ground, while also letting you decide to stay standing if you don't want to be taken down.

Catch wrestling is for sick cunts, if you can find a gym for it.
snakepitusa.com/about-us/locations/

>LIFTING FOR COMBAT SPORTS
You're going to want to develop explosive ability for high reps, especially in your lower body. Do something like Westside for Skinny Bastards III
defrancostraining.com/westside-for-skinny-bastards-part3/
That's
MONDAY – Max-Effort Upper Body
TUESDAY – Dynamic-Effort Lower Body
WEDNESDAY – Off
THURSDAY – Repetition Upper Body
FRIDAY – Max-Effort Lower Body
SATURDAY – Off
SUNDAY – Off

Be wary of pseudoscience regarding martial arts (not just trad martial art kata faggotry).
While routines with high-volume pull ups and dips have their uses, even Western boxers are notorious for things like chugging their own piss.

>Weight cutting basics
grapplearts.com/how-to-cut-and-make-weight/

>m-muh Krav Maga
fuck off shill

Other urls found in this thread:

a-j-s-online-journal.2299399.n4.nabble.com/I-sparred-with-Evander-Holyfield-George-Foreman-Lennox-Lewis-David-Tua-and-others-td4090601.html
peninsulaboxing.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

for the newest of the new

Bumping. Am a powerlifter but Veeky Forums needs these kind of threads instead of /pol9k/ shit.

Ive been getting into boxing recently and started sparring too, but i always find myself becoming really sluggish in the 3rd round, any advice on how to build that type of stamina?

Boxers traditionally do insane amounts of running, far past the point at which it's actually useful.

I've had success with swimming long distances, but YMMV. I'm a BJJ blue belt and my cardio is off the chain

New-ish BJJ student checking in. Decided to put my size to some use and found a nice local BJJ/muay thai gym near me.

According to that chart I should learn Judo.

Anyone here got any experience learning Judo? What can I expect?

PANKRATION MASTER RACE

There exist contemporary pankration schools? wut?

Expect lots of squats, and a martial art that is way more violent than it looks.

>tfw great striker and ground game
>tfw wrestling is on par with dog shit

from the other thread

Why is BJJ always viewed as the expensive sport?

Doesn't include Bartitsu, the only contemporary martial art for the modern, cosmopolitan man with a steampunk aesthetique.

You chart's shit homie.

For cultural reasons, people tend to purchase lots of fancy-looking gis (uniforms). Some are admittedly good as fuck.

Furthermore, their gyms just tend to charge more. More rich people get into BJJ than, say, wrestling or boxing.

>great ground game
>shit wrestling

your better off learning how to use a knife or gun. Best way to win a fight is deterrence.

..This is actually a really good guide. For a bunch of dyel retards of the lowest level Veeky Forums really does deliver sometimes.

Got a fight set for April, just found out today, so excited. I'm going to spend all of my training working takedown defense and standing back up. I can already strike very well but have trouble with ground fighting.

Also, who's gonna win? I got khabib, I don't think Tony can 1 shot KO him and Tony is kinda sloppy so he'll get caught and mauled

I pay $125/month and bought 2 moderatly priced Gi's ($70), that also includes an MMA and muay thai classes should i choose to go. Am i to rich?

Yeah kinda. 125 is crazy expensive. I pay 50 a month and do no gi

I have my first Muay Thai amateur bout in May

a-j-s-online-journal.2299399.n4.nabble.com/I-sparred-with-Evander-Holyfield-George-Foreman-Lennox-Lewis-David-Tua-and-others-td4090601.html

Really interesting read

Because of the bjj culture. Boxing requires gloves, wraps and shorts.
Judo requires a gi, which generally has no logos and fits poorly because there are only 5 sizes for everyone, males and females included, but no one cares because baggy wizard sleeves are the norm.
If you train bjj, you typically have gis that are more form fitted, have different cuts and sizes for men and women, and this results the gis being more expensive because they don't have an economy of scale. Add that each club has a 'club gi' and rash guards with tons of logos, and things just end up being more expensive.

my old bjj place was $219/mo, $50 signing

Been doing Muay Thai and BJJ a while but it's very expensive to do in this country. The boxing clubs around here are much bigger and they are basically free, so I think I'll join it instead.

So....

Khabib or Ferguson? Personally I'd like to see le scary Islamic Russian man meme shut down

This might be more rungen but I find that when running I slow down and hit "the wall". How does one dig in and keep going?

I love both Ferguson and Khabib, but I've got to say besides Tibau I haven't seen anybody come close to beating Khabib. Tony doesn't seem particularly strong for a LW, but when Khabib gets his hands on you it's like he's two weight classes above.

Try picking a slower pace to begin with? Consistency is key. How long ago did you start running?

Buy one of those chinese oil lotion thing, prepare to massage it to your aching muscles after every training

This. Judo throws looks slow/gentle but surprisingly hurts alot

So what's the difference between an amateur program and recreational for boxing? If I just wanted to learn how to box and spar without that cardio fitness bullshit hen would I have to sign up as an Amateur?

peninsulaboxing.org/
Here's the gym. Your thoughts /csg/?

Been on and off with running

the frequency of women in these pictures makes me wary, but hey I'm openminded.

I'd take recreational classes if I were you until I figured out which combos work well, and have my 1s, 2s, 3s, 4s down. Then if you want to push your own pace sign up for amateur.

>/csg/
>not /heem/

My common sense is kinda shitty.

What should I look for in a martial arts teaching center to make sure I'm not getting into a meme school.

I am looking for a Muay Thai school, I went to two places, one kinda small, there were no people at the moment, the trainer only gave me a "tour" of the instalations, not really much equipment.
The second one was bigger, more equipment and of course more expensive, the owner of the place didn't look that buff. And they didn't showed me the whole facilities, there were some people training but it looked like stupid exercises or maybe they were acting in front of the possible new students.

Wat do?

elaborate on stupid exercises

Go to whichever gives you the best vibe.
Sit in on a class if you must

I'm nearly 20 and want to join my local boxing gym and start fighting. My only worry is that I catch a nice punch and either die or brain damage myself, that or end up with Alzheimer's or Parkinson's. I'm also considering MMA, it's just the statistics I've read claim that up to 90% of boxer's will end up with brain damage, I'm not sure if I want it that bad enough. That being said I'd still like to condition myself so that I'm at my optimum for fighting if it arises, what should I do?

Those are pro boxers man. Unless plan on competing as much as possible you'll be fine. You won't get ko'd in practice unless you're gym us beyond horrible. If you do take a hard one just give yourself plenty of time to recover. A month at least before hard sparring.

When they showed me one of the areas of training there were three guys and one girl along a linked fence, or something that looked like a linked fence, they were knee striking the fence repeatidly, it looked like a stupid exercise because the fence wasn't providing much resistance.

They refused to show me the rest of the training areas. What the fuck? If I am a potential student, shouldn't I be allowed to see the complete instalations??

Why do some fight's use headguards and other's don't? Is that the difference between amateur and pro boxing?

What single muscle group most affects the power of a punch? Back, Chest, Arms, Legs?

definitely legs. Otherwise, core/lower back

lol

Khabib will win. Tony can slap that D'Arce on real quick, but Khabib will make him look like a Bantamweight.

Jump rope.

Good luck. We're all gonna make it brah.

Yes, it essentially is the difference.

This chart is legit af

When I talk wrestling, I mean clinch

Sorry to necro this post, but when being outnumbered by bydlo in a dark alley, what would be the best martial art to know?

Sounds like a con, if you really want to learn legit Muay Thai then go to Thailand or find an mma place that has pro fighters.

Theres disagreement about how useful headgear is. It will decrease the impact of shots, but because it makes you a bigger target you'll get hit more often. Typically I think that headgear should be worn for anything sparring over like 70%

Nederlands is pretty good too