Where dem mental gains thread? /chess/

Where dem mental gains thread? /chess/

Routine:
Chesstempo 1h
Chess Tactics from scratch 1h
Reuben Fine Basic chess endings 1h
30 minute game on lichess 1h
Analysis of that game without an engine with focus on key moments and parts you think you screwed up 1h

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NsvCEE4tNaY
lichess.org/UY39g1WF
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Eh I just play blitz at chess.com

You spend that much time a day playing chess? What a fuckin loser, what good does that do you? I love chess but Jesus Christ man you need to do something that will actually benefit you fiscally too

Are you NEET, OP?

How else do you explain 5 hours per day playing chess?

3 set of problems, blitz, standard and endgame theory, about 5 sets each.

On chesstempo

Depends on how serious you are user. I know competitive highschoolers who spend much more than that on average. It's a good routine for decent gains, but if you can't put in the time you can always reduce the workload but improve more slowly.

Despite common attitude chess has a pretty straightforward progression, you put in the hours of actual work and you get results, especially under 2100 Elo. If you work more, you reach milestones faster, if you don't, you stagnate.

It's a competitive hobby, people spend time on shit they like

Yer on a homo lifting bbs with autists who spend hours lifting heavy things and putting them down, how's this a strange thing

About to start learning piano so that I can one day play this:

youtube.com/watch?v=NsvCEE4tNaY

Look at all these chess plebs. GO is where the real gainz are at.

I'd like to be better at chess. Do I have to look up all those things separately or is there a site where you can do all of that together?

Most of the good stuff is in books. Only good things online are tactics trainers (I'd still recommend going through a tactics book where motifs are explained instead of brute force figuring them yourself through a lot of practice) and game databases. You have pretty entertaining content on YouTube (St Louis chess club, Svidler blitz streaming) but imo they aren't a good way to actually learn and improve.

Chess learning is pretty comparable to physics learning, there are cool resources online, but the field is much older than Internet so best, most information dense resources are still books written by great players.

the equivalent of an autistic 4k dota player here

secret life tip: if you want to get good at thing spend 95% of your time doing the thing instead of theorycrafting about it

>Svidler blitz streaming
Svidler is fantastic. I don't think there are many super GM's who would do banter blitz

I see, well I think I'll check out those tactics trainers to begin with. I do plenty of second hand shopping so I'll keep an eye out for any books too. Thanks user.

Masters degree in economics
I do nothing else for mental exercise.

This op, you must not have much going on in your life to spend that much time on chess. unless you are a competitive player

>msc economics
>nothing else

So you do nothing for mental exercise?

I program for 3 hours a day after work, practice Japanese for 2 hours after that, and read for an hour before bed.

fuck with me

Suppose it is just a joke but chess is one of the most useless things you could do besides learning the basics of the game. Used to play it a lot in elementary, if you do not memorise (which makes it boring as shit) you just have to take all the possibilities per turn and what would your enemy's move be. There is the fun in it. that's it, I doubt anyone who is not competing for money should waste time on it, especially this much.

Also mine:
work 9 hours a day, 5 times a week
finish at 5pm, get home by 6pm
workout, shower
program 2-3 hours
read for the remainder of the night

1 book/week usual, only fact based books

For fun I read classics, right now rereading Dante's divine comedy. If you have not read it I urge you to do so. Also would recommend Evola if you are interested in the bigger picture, related to social changes and Tradition.

Personally I found it is better to work for the weekend, meaning you play some games, go out, socialize on the weekends. You should not be a robot, work and studies only will make you miserable. So enjoy life a bit, if possible.

If you actually committed to all of that and also went to a tournament a month and studied your own games you'd be a master pretty quick.

I'm 1950 CFC and my routine has never been that rigid, but I gained about 300 rating from 1650-1950 doing something similar.

The real MVP is chess tempo, but I've been so lazy this last year I haven't completed a single problem.

Also lets go Veeky Forums

lichess.org/UY39g1WF

Lol fuck anime

>This op, you must not have much going on in your life to spend that much time on chess. unless you are a competitive player
B-but I am
I also not a neet, I just have a competitive hobby that I like getting better at.

Yeah, chess24 is doing a pretty good job of making chess popular. If you watched the world championship, at one point somebody in chat mentions Veeky Forums and you get a surreal situation where a 2800 player is awkwardly suggesting to a 2650 player that going on Veeky Forums in the middle of a fucking world championship stream isn't a great idea.

That's a pretty shitty view of the game. Sure there's a lot of memorization involved but it's worthless without deeper understanding of what you are committing to memory. I'm lucky enough to live surrounded by a lot of old masters who know every swindle in existence that exploits memorised ideas; pure memorization doesn't get you very far.

I'm actually 1950 Elo myself, I really hope to reach 2100-2200 in the next couple of years. I enjoy the game and learning (and of course winning), it's not that much of a chore as it sounds.

what do you program? I mean I would like to practive java some more but I just don't know how I can go further