/csg/ Combat Sports General - let's get these started

COMBAT SPORTS GENERAL

>Why start learning?
Defend yourself without going to court for a manslaughter charge.
It's fun as fuck, and a way to entertain yourself without vidya.
It's non-boring cardio.

>What start learning?
If you're interested in striking arts, try boxing, or Muay Thai if you're less interested in mobility, head movement, but more interested in learning elbows, knees, and kicks.

>But grappling?
BJJ schools are the easiest to come by, but wrestling is going to give you the most control on the ground, while also letting you decide to stay standing if you don't want to be taken down.

Catch wrestling is for sick cunts, if you can find a gym for it.
snakepitusa.com/about-us/locations/

>LIFTING FOR COMBAT SPORTS
You're going to want to develop explosive ability for high reps, especially in your lower body. Do something like Westside for Skinny Bastards III
defrancostraining.com/westside-for-skinny-bastards-part3/
That's
MONDAY – Max-Effort Upper Body
TUESDAY – Dynamic-Effort Lower Body
WEDNESDAY – Off
THURSDAY – Repetition Upper Body
FRIDAY – Max-Effort Lower Body
SATURDAY – Off
SUNDAY – Off

Be wary of pseudoscience regarding martial arts (not just trad martial art kata faggotry).
While routines with high-volume pull ups and dips have their uses, even Western boxers are notorious for things like chugging their own piss.

>Weight cutting basics
grapplearts.com/how-to-cut-and-make-weight/

>m-muh Krav Maga
fuck off shill

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/jJUw7OXXGwg
youtube.com/watch?v=DsVM_N42B3g
youtube.com/watch?v=b8U3G-rI9t4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

that's gay

>LIFTING FOR COMBAT SPORTS
I'm considering joining a crossfit class (not one of those retarded webm-tier ones)

im currently doing sheiko small loads and judo twice a week.

the max/dynamic effort is bullshit.

>rolling with coach while hungover last week
>land 3-4 submissions in 5 minutes
>he goes on to win his weight class at open Europeans two days ago

Feels good to be a gangsta.

>

What's your weight class senpai?

Hovering somewhere below middleweight/-82.3kg mostly, already in Master division myself. Coach is about one weight class below me though, older too.

>Master division
This is so retarded. Fight adult

I do in Judo. Haven't competed in BJJ since before I hit Masters, costs 10 times more than a Judo comp.

>costs 10 times more than a Judo comp
Oh, I agree. Paying over a hundred dollars for a tournament is way too much if you've got to travel, find a place to stay for 2-3 days, etc

Luckily I live in a small country where I can't drive 10km without ending up in a village with a dojo, and there's at least one tournament a month for €2.5 - close to where I live to boot. Even for BJJ competitions I hardly ever have to travel more than 2-3 hours, but even the small ones cost €25-30 nowadays, knockout style. Hating how BJJ is viewed as a way to make money even by non-professionals.

Will put this beauty to use for the first itme in March at the London Open.

Wish me luck lads or your mum will die in her sleep.

That ratty purple belt hnnnngggg

How long were you at purple?

>Hating how BJJ is viewed as a way to make money even by non-professionals
(the thing is most of them don't make money off it)

What's the best martial art to fend off bydlo on a dark alley?

4.5 years, seemed like an eternity

For schools I know this often to be the case here in Europe, yet they still charge easily double or triple what the average Judo club charges due to lacking organisation.

Tournaments, on the other hand, are cash cows. Ran with volunteers in same way in the same places as other grappling sports, but at several times the price while I know for a fact the averge Judo tournament here is profitable.

How long at white and blue? Also, good luck.

3 on white, 2 on blue, had a few breaks when I was white though so it took me a while to progress

Good luck senpai. Good to see BJJfags consolidated here. Anybody here /nogi/ only?

nogi is the bomb, especially if you go madman mode aka absolute

>tfw used to train in "ninjutsu" (Genbukan)
>tfw I get made fun of online
>tfw its really just Judo + weapons + fun folksy philosophies

feels bad man

Also 10 years combined MT, Wing Chun, and boxing

I'm 32 now and out of fighting shape tho. Don't even know how to get back into it anymore.

Started doing roadwork again but its cold as fuck outside. Gonna hang my heavy bag in the backyard once the weather gets better

Any advice for a younger wrestler? Season is almost over, fight at 145 after recovering from being a fatty at 200+. Just wanted to know if any oldfags had any advice they want to share to there younger guys.

What is a bydlo

t. not a wrestler, but damn you've got to have GOAT self-control

not only going from a 200+ fatty to fighting at 145, but you've got to control your weight in cycles of cutting over and over too

This. Each country has its own breed of bydlo, just with different names. Be it redneck, niggers, canis or refugees.

lol thanks senpai. It really is a great sport for building discipline and physical fitness. 10/10 recommend it to everybody

Who else /JeetKuneDo/ here?

take advantage of camps and clinics this summer and compete in the offseason if you can

*BRAAAAAAAAAAAPPFFFFF*
sorry John didn't see ya face back there

yeah, keep fucking moving on the mat, don't stop. if you stop, you're giving your opponent an opening
just try to get them on their back as fast as you can, when you go live during practice act like it's a real match and do your best
sprint! a lot!

also i wrestled 152 and 145 is a fast, agile, but tough weight. i'd say the in betweens are the hardest weight classes because you have strong kids who know technique. 200+ are slow dudes, so be prepared to get rocked

Should I do WFSB if I'm a fat bastard? Not that fat, but haven't been to the gym since I hurt my back in October.

I was looking in to that, is it actually applicable to real life or is it just a memetial art that gained traction because of Bruce lee?

>BJJ schools are the easiest to come by, but wrestling is going to give you the most control on the ground

HAHAHHAHHAAA

wrestler detected.

remember to stop giving up your back to be chocked. idiot.

I wanna get into martial arts, but I'm worried about catching weird diseases.

there is a lot of sweaty skin on skin and people get bruises and cuts and bleed and that can get in your cuts or eyes.

I have warts (the regular kind, like on your hands, not herpes or genital) and I'm worried that I will give someone the disease if I roll with them. Because of that, I always think about all the weird disease other people might have.

Dont quit ever. I hate myself for quitting wrestling.

Fundamentals>techniques
Faggot

I am a wrestler and this is true, it happened a lot when I started to fight bjj guys. On the other hand, you should see those guy's faces when I threw them around. Pic related.

sounds like wrestler logic for getting chocked out

I have 6 months bjj, I went up against my wrestling friend who went to state 4 years in a row in high school

choked him out.

the only thing wrestling has that bjj doesn't is takedowns.

but as far as strictly ground work, controlling opponent and submitting, bjj is far superior.

This do NOT fucking quit. I quit my last season and its been 2 years and I dreadfully miss the sport.

You must have never rolled with a college wrestler.

It's like you're jitsing with somebody two weight classes above you.

What's one that's fun, effective, and if I ever competed has low risk of head injury? Srs, I don't want more of them

>chocked
>6 months
ok tough guy

just because you posted an anime face doesn't mean I won't chock you out.

6 month story is true by the way.

learned basics and submissions. more than enough to control and submit someone who doesn't understand grappling from the bjj perspective.

Nigga you had better never bring your HPV hands into my BJJ class. Please work on getting rid of that shit for everyone's sake.

You beat a veteran javelin thrower in a shot put match. Congrats?

>tfw been a purple belt for 3 years now and I win every tournament I go to except I lost at worlds so my teacher won't promote me

it's a virus, you have it for life.

if you've ever had a wart, then you've got it.

>just because you posted an anime face doesn't mean...

yes it does.

alright you're getting chocked out

I really want to chock that smug anime

>Do something like Westside for Skinny Bastards III
This is for offseason, idiot

Hello, slav friend

If your wrestler friend will get 2 weeks of bjj, he will absolutely destroy you

probably boxing, as you'll learn how to circle out and get the fuck out of there if people try to jump you

youtu.be/jJUw7OXXGwg

>his reach isn't longer than his height

>measuring reach finger tip to finger tip
>giant clavicles and t-rex arms mean I'm a good fighter

I have a question. Kinda branches into weight lifting.

Do longer arms mean smaller arms?

More often yes than no, until you break into the heavy classes of either.

>Do longer arms mean smaller arms?

>Does big thing mean small thing???

>No judo

what the actual fuck m8?

Good luck
pic unrelated

I had a wart when I was like 12, it got frozen off by a nurse and it's never been back. That was 18 years ago.

>6 months

Haven't laughed this hard for a while. When will you quit? Or are you jits4lyfe nao?

Been doing 3 years of muay thai, trying my first jitz class tomorrow. The ground game (and my lack of it) scares the shit out of me, and just from a self defence aspect I'd like to know what do to if someone mounts me

They'll teach you, just listen to your instructor, no one wants to kill you in training.

How's your hip mobility?

>bjj is the best martial art for self defence

>Anybody here /nogi/ only?
no

What are the best ways to prepare for a Judo tournament? I'm only a yellow belt but am entered into the beginner's/low-skilled categories. The tournament is in 4 weeks so I have some time to prepare. So far for my training I'm running 3x a week and practicing Judo 3x a week. Just wondering what conditioning or technical stuff you lot would recommend? Would like to do my best at this tournament.

cut all the warts out first

then do the art

way more than one virus dude

many strains

dont bring that shit in my gym

ok

shrimp onto your side and push with both palms on one of his legs to get to half. lock up, then work the other side.

You literally have a board just for this fagshit

Next three weeks
>have a game plan from kumi kata to tachi waza to transitions to ne waza, both offensive and defensive
>uchi komi the fuck out of said gameplan
>throw in sufficient nage komi and randori - make sure you can still recover properly
Last week
>light and easy; make sure you're virtually running up the walls with excess energy by the time you have to compete

Also, don't stress, then muscle and gas out in the first minutes. Focus, dominate the grips, making sure the opponent has to work harder, only use force when really going for it, starting with kuzushi.

Japmoot killed the board by dumping all the pro-wrestling there. It's a bigger shitposting fest than /b/. Like seriously. I released my inner autist and did some simple number crunching.

Give something ultrapractical for an ectomorph 62 kg 176 cm. Preferably something that'll help me deal with guns and knives and shit too.

>Give something ultrapractical for an ectomorph 62 kg 176 cm.
Hmmm...

>Preferably something that'll help me deal with guns and knives and shit too.
...running.

You mean to say mass actually plays a bigger role than strength? I didn't even tell you my strength levels.

No, as once the skill gap is sufficiently large, technique will overcome strength and mass (and strength>mass), but rather that one shouldn't try to fuck with knives and guns.

>wanting to start Muay Thai but too nervous

Help me cure my autism

Muay Thai will cure your autism. Not joking.

Bull fucking shit. 60 kg skeleton can only get raped by 120 kg bull. No matter how skillful and toned the former and how unskillful and fat the latter.

how

If you'll take 60kg vs 115kg, I saw just that happen two weeks ago during training. Big dude is a BJJ blue belt but got double legged and steamrolled by the 60kg wrestler with some BJJ/grappling experience. The latter is from Dagestan though, so that's a bit like cheating.

By making you interact with people until you think nothing of it. Which you should be thinking in the first place - everyone started where you are now.

k 60 vs 130. Or hell 150. Basically the deal is: small faggets can't cheat the biology, they are gonna suck dick. So might as well spent that gym and csg time on creating business instead.

I'd rather fight someone who is 150kg than 120kg desu - I hover around 80kg myself. Disregarding the likes of strongmen and sumo wrestlers, 120kg guys are more likely to be somewhat athletic, faster and mobile, whereas 150kg guys are usually just slow uncoordinated blobs.

Did taekwondo but will start with kickboxing

See you at Wildcats, nerd.

>The latter is from Dagestan though, so that's a bit like cheating.
kek

getting used to getting hit will play a big part in making you less nervous too, for what it's worth

youtube.com/watch?v=DsVM_N42B3g
youtube.com/watch?v=b8U3G-rI9t4

I swear Caucasians have mandatory bear wrestling in school.

What's the consensus on Taekwondo for mid range and Wrestling at close range?

>taekwondo

kek, enjoy endless patterns and sparring with a retarded ruleset

What do you guys expect from Rodolfo Vieira's debut in MMA?
No doubt he has an impressive record in BJJ but I think he only took up MMA around a year ago so I doubt that's enough to prepare him for it.

This is the only thing I found abot his opponent:
>Not much is known about Zarylbek. Unofficial sources say he has done seven professional MMA bouts, making him far more experienced than the Brazilian.

What promotion is he in?

Some small Japanese promotion called Real Fight.
Even their website looks unprofessional af and it's all in Japanese, which sucks because I'd be willing to pay per view, but I guess they don't even have that option.
The event will be in Brazil btw.

Well blimey.