Alternatives to curls?

Hey Veeky Forums,

newfag here. When doing curls, I started to notice a pain in my forearm. It doesn't matter how much weight I use or if I use a dumbbell, a straight bar or an EZ curl bar, it still hurts.

Am I genetically fucked? And more important, what are some alternative excercises for my byceps? I'm training at home and can't do chinups. Equipment I have: straight curl bar, EZ curl bar, dumbbells, bench.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/7gDcyWECnpA?t=296
youtube.com/watch?v=bcE0DAPbqLU
youtube.com/watch?v=ow2mdWC6FAc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

post forearm

ur prolly squeezin too hard

You are probably gripping too hard, I used to that 3 weeks ago when I started lifting.

Nah, not much to see there. Just imagine a fat fuck's forearm.

Is the grip really a thing? I even noticed it when doing dumbbell curls (seated on my bench) with 10kg, which I guess is a fairly light weight (please don't laugh at me, mighty Veeky Forums). What I mean is, is it really possible to grip too hard with this light weight?

Choose one from this book
megadownloder com/598545

That's common with beginners. Your body will adapt, just take it easy and try hammer curls in the meantime.

Thanks! Couldn't download from the page linked, but I'll get the book from other sources and look into.

Thanks, will do so! Do you think this is a good form? youtu.be/7gDcyWECnpA?t=296
I guess Scooby is pretty based, but I'm new to all of that stuff.

Both my dad and I had the same pain when we started lifting. You're not genetically fucked, it's just that your forearms are so far behind your biceps in strength, or they're just completely unaccustomed to any work whatsoever. It will eventually go away, just like it did for us. Good luck with your gains, bro.

Thank you too! We're all gonna make it.

Yea man, next time you lift try not to squeeze really hard, you will notice the difference

Thanks, will try!

that is good form. it looks like he's going a little too slow, but it will force you to use lighter weight and that's good for beginner training

You say he's going too slow, so how much faster would you recommend me to go (if you do so)?

chinups

he takes 2 seconds to do a half-rep, i personally take 1 second. I wouldn't recommend going much faster than that, one of the keys to maintaining good form is not rushing. Either way, I doubt you'd get less or more gains by switching from 1 to 2 seconds, since both are slow enough to force you to control the weight.

I got this at first too. I was using a bar but I fucked up my outer forearms so bad I couldn't do anything with a supinated grip. I chalked it up to being like runners getting shin splints when they first start running.
I agree with , hammer curls are GOAT for beginners. You could also try doing curls with bands and see if that helps.

Would like to, but it isn't possible to do so in my apartment. I know there are racks you can put into doors, but they're also said to destroy that door.
And I'm not confident enough to do chinups outdoors (or at a gym, desu). Pic somewhat related.

Thank you! Also with other excercises, I'm aiming at 1 second per half-rep while still being able to control the weight and not swing around.

Thanks, will look into hammer curls. By >bands, you mean something like that? youtube.com/watch?v=bcE0DAPbqLU

Probably curling your wrist as well. I'm conflicted on this because I noticed my forearms would grow if I did this. Technically incorrect form but if it helps build a notoriously hard to build muscle group I don't care.

Sorry, don't catch what you mean.
Do you mean doing wrist curls as a seperate excercise, or do you mean I am (or should be) curling my wrist WHILE doing curls?

I sometimes get intense pain in my forearms when I go to release my grip, or put the wieght down. Anyone ever heard of this?

No I mean it's an unintentional thing done during bicep curls, especially near the end of the upwards motion. Don't know if that's true for you though.

Ah, you mean somewhat like #2 in my very detailed sketch?
I guess I know what you mean, and I guess I might do this unintentionally wjen struggling with the weight/the current rep.

Yeah that's it

yeah that shit hurts even at 35lbs for me.

Ok, so I guess the key is:
1) doing hammer curls/adding hammer curls to my schedule as alternatives to normal curls
2) when doing normal curls, use less weight so I won't cripple my hand ( = curl my wrists like in the sketch above)

yes
forearm splints
rest from any exercise that gives you pain from this for 2 weeks+-. after that do exercises to strengthen your forearms.
google: forearm splints, rice buckets, wrist preparation for handstand (even if you're not aiming for a handstand, great exercises for forearm).
OP - same for you.
best of luck

supinating curls are great.

Yeah, i have found that this is worse when using a curl bar, so I do dumbell curls now. I just have to release my grip very slowly when putting the wieght down to avoid forearm pain. I'll look up forearm splints. Thanks user

> forearm splints, rice buckets, wrist preparation for handstand
Did google that and looks promising, thanks!
Will using a thingy like pic related also help me working on the forearms?

>supinating curls
Having never heard of that, I googled it and found that vid: youtube.com/watch?v=ow2mdWC6FAc
What are the benefits compared to normal curls?

yes this