Sugar

So I've been doing some research on this stuff lately, and I've come to realize two things; first, holy shit, is this stuff bad for you. And second, holy shit, do I eat too much of it.

I really thought I was a healthy eater, but the Clif bars, the yogurt, the protein shakes, and the fiber supplement I take all have huge amount of sugar in them.

Should I be overly concerned about eating too much sugar? I'm fairly active (I get decent cardio at work, and I workout 3 times a week), and other than the sugar, my diet is pretty good.

Also, how does one cut out sugar the way a doctor would suggest (under 50 grams a day)? It seems to be in *everything*, even in things you wouldn't imagine, like V8 juice.

Thanks Veeky Forums.

Other urls found in this thread:

nutritionfacts.org/video/how-much-added-sugar-is-too-much/
nutritionfacts.org/video/big-sugar-takes-on-the-world-health-organization/
nutritionfacts.org/video/if-fructose-is-bad-what-about-fruit/
nutritionfacts.org/video/are-sugary-foods-addictive/
nature.com/ijo/journal/v40/n1s/full/ijo201610a.html
nature.com/ejcn/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/ejcn2016230a.html
foodpolitics.com/tag/fructose/
nutrevolve.blogspot.com/2015/06/much-ado-about-funding.html
nutrevolve.blogspot.com/2015/08/funding-tale-of-defamation.html
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20060863
care.diabetesjournals.org/content/7/5/465
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Cool story bro

its under 25grams a day now. new "guideliens".
meh they're pretty shit anyway.

sugar = literally cancer

I bought some Gatoraid the other day because it was literally cheaper than water, and only after the fact did I notice the shit had 21g of sugar in it (and probably 42 or 63g since that shit is never just one serving). Seriously shit is everywhere.

I was just recently told by my dentist that Gatorade is worst on your teeth than mt. Dew.

OP, the only sugar you should have to put up with should come from oats. Even the unsweetest cereals usually have at least 11g of sugar. Yogurt can have as little as 7g if you get the right kind. Protein powder can have as little as 1g per serving, switch brands. Buy diet fruit juice, usually as low as 5-7g sugar per serving.

That should cover you.

Where's this research that shows it's bad for you?

When controlling for fibre and overall macronutrient intake, what's wrong with sugar?

OP here. Thanks for the info.

The research I've found says that sugar increases your insulin resistance (increasing your changes of diabetes), that it can increase your chances of cancer and heart disease. Like it was said earlier in the thread, doctors recommend a maximum of 25-50 grams of sugar a day. As far as I can tell fiber and macro-nutrient intake doesn't seem to effect it. I would imagine exercise would help some, though.

Gaining weight increases insulin resistance and chance of cancer/heart disease, and people that gain a lot of weight tend to eat a lot of sugar. Things high in sugar are just very palatable so it's easy to eat a lot of them. There's nothing special about the sugar itself.

What I meant is that if you eat say 250c 200p 70f with 30g of fibre, your outcomes will be the same whether you ate a shitload of sugar or barely any sugar. Whether it's table sugar or potatoes, it all ends up as glucose.

OP again.

If that is true, it makes me feel somewhat better. I'm fairly active, BMI-wise I'm almost underweight, and I eat a good bit of fiber.

I guess those things counter my sugar intake somewhat?

Yeah you're fine. The whole 'sugar is bad' thing only applies to normies (who don't track their intake) because it's easy to overeat. If you eat enough fibre and keep your calories or macros roughly in check, eat as much sugar as you can stomach.

Plus muscle has a massively positive effect on insulin sensitivity That's why there's so many fat fuck powerlifters/strongmen who don't get type II diabetes.

Awesome, thanks for the help.

Woah, watch out OP, this guy is 100℅ WRONG. High doses of sugar cause insulin spikes and can increase your insulin resistance and the risks associated with this EVEN ON A CALORIC DEFICIT. On a cut, it's your worst enemy. On a bulk, you can sometimes use it to your advantage but you can't just gobble it up all the time.

This is the entire low GI carbs are better than high GI carbs, because low GI carbs are metabolised much less readily into SUGAR.

SUGAR = INSULIN SPIKE which also causes the body to retain more fat. AVOID IT.

>oats
>not potat sweet

STFU, insulin is irrelevant unless you're already on the verge of being diabetic. If you're a healthy weight and active, glycemic index means fuck all. Complex carbs may keep you fuller longer and have other good nutrients that go with them but it all ends up the same in the end.

Not OP, but it's been well known to be bad for you since the 19th century. The only debate is exactly how much is OK. It's literally a poison that causes inflammation. The problem is, the damage is done over decades.

> "inflammation"

wtf is with all these jill stein-tier soccer mom posts lately

nutritionfacts.org/video/how-much-added-sugar-is-too-much/

nutritionfacts.org/video/big-sugar-takes-on-the-world-health-organization/

nutritionfacts.org/video/if-fructose-is-bad-what-about-fruit/

nutritionfacts.org/video/are-sugary-foods-addictive/

To cut down on added sugars, make more food from scratch/avoid processed foods, and use fruits to sweeten things.

Actually it massively effects your hormone profile, as well as sleep cycles.

>first, holy shit, is this stuff bad for you.
LOL
Yeah a major macro nutrient that you would literally die without is bad for you. Fucking retard. What trash are you 'researching'?

Ar..Are you serious? Inflammation in general is not good for a single part of your body. It's definitely not some soccer mom Jill Stein word as you put it.

>literally die without
sugar addict detected.

You'd feel amazing if you went without your hot pockets and mountain dew for a couple of weeks. But you're weak and you'll never know what it's like to take your life back from sugar addiction.

>Veeky Forums will go as far as to deny literal science
Go ahead man, tell me how our bodies dont need sugar. I have to hear this.

> LOL YOU WOULD DIE IF YOU DIDN'T DRINK WATER, NO WAY CAN YOU HAVE TOO MUCH OF IT!

Hey dummy, OP didnt mention too much of it, in fact no one did. OP stated it was "bad for you". Nice to know your shitty gains have completely clouded your reading comprehension.

Im still waiting retard. I swear I can hear you scrambling google for answers from here lol

Complex carbohydrates can be converted to sugar by the body. There is NO FUCKING REASON to eat ANY sugar EVER. You fucking fedora tipping retard.
>b-buh that's still sugar because it turns into sugar
Yeah I guess alcohol is sugar too, fucktard.

t. redditeer

everything=literally cancer

sugar -> insulin spike (anabolic hormone) -> you become fat as fuck -> plethora of health related problems

just one example

>insulin is irrelevant
You couldn't be more wrong amigo

But breh all the pro bodybuilders inject insulin.

So sugar+sterons=mad gainz?

you didn't make it very far in 1st semester physiology did you?

>mfw eating tons of sugar post workout with metformin

>there is only one type of sugar and stuff gets converted into it, and i dont know how surgars affect the body

This is how I know you are stupid.

You guys have broscience so far up your asses, you spout memes as if they were truth. I come here for the entertainment, truly.

i'm really not sure if this is bait or not or if i just don't understand what you're trying to say, are you seriously trying to say that you can not survive without ingesting sugar?

Have you read the thread? There are quite a few posts talking about how much is okay, and cutting back in general. That's the real question, how much is too much?

This is b8 right? The OP says "too much of it" like 5 fucking times. Focus on your reading and comprehension skills.

>Should I be overly concerned about eating too much sugar?

Yes, no doubt about it. Refined carbohydrates cause tissue inflammation which leads to scarring and the build up of low density lipids (LDL) in arteries and veins which in turn leads to arteriosclerosis and DVTs which can cause infarctions and strokes.

>It seems to be in *everything*, even in things you wouldn't imagine, like V8 juice.

Things have sugar, there's no doubt about it. Fuck dude carrots have sugar, but the key here is "refined" sugar, which V8 definitely does not have.

All this being said, however, you're free to have a cookie or slice of cake or pie or an eclair or other such sugary pastry or dessert, just have a small piece, it's regular overconsumption that fucks you in the long run.

nature.com/ijo/journal/v40/n1s/full/ijo201610a.html
nature.com/ejcn/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/ejcn2016230a.html

Have some actual data instead of empty claims and broscience OP

foodpolitics.com/tag/fructose/

> JM Rippe’s research laboratory has received unrestricted grants and JM Rippe has received consulting fees from ConAgra Foods, Kraft Foods, the Florida Department of Citrus, PepsiCo International, The Coca-Cola Company, the Corn Refiners Association, Weight Watchers International, Dr. Pepper Snapple Group, and various publishers.

nutrevolve.blogspot.com/2015/06/much-ado-about-funding.html
nutrevolve.blogspot.com/2015/08/funding-tale-of-defamation.html

>post review articles
>complain when it's pointed out that the people doing the review are affiliated with industry

Experimental studies are one thing, published opinion pieces from people selling the product can be easily discounted.

>post childish and anti-scientific attack
>complain when it's pointed out how childish and anti-scientific it is

My irony meter just blew up. And no, not everything that hurts your feelings gets to be dismissed. They're peer-reviewed and published in Nature journals. Plenty of experiments are cited and discussed. If you had any real argument, you'd address those and provide falsifying data, but the anti-vax tier mudslinging makes it clear you don't.

Except fruits, vegetables, nuts, beans, whole grains, seeds, water. tea and coffee.

Former anorexic/orthorexic here. Too much of anything is bad for you, but you're going to eat too much of something at some point based on your tastes. People worry way, way too much about diet - eat what makes you feel good and you enjoy, if you know it works for you then why change it? If you want to see if cutting down on sugar will make you feel better give it a try but don't worry about it too much, most people eat too much sugar and most people are fine.

>former anorexic
>people worry way,way too much about diet

fuck off cunt just because you got special snowflake therapy doesn't mean it applies to other people who probably never had your mental illness

Only eat food that you've made, check packaging, don't drink juice instead of eating fruit. It's really not that hard.

And yes you should be concerned about sugar. If your body doesn't immediately burn it off via exercise (which it almost certainly won't unless you're exercising 5 hours a day) your body releases insulin to convert it directly to glycogen and fat. You're literally increasing your body fat per spoonful unless you're a long distance athlete.

^It's useful for long distance athletes as they need lots of glycogen.

>Only eat food that you made

This is the single best lesson I learned losing weight and getting healthier. I found I actually wanted to eat healthier the more I cooked for myself and baked and stuff.

Triggered much my dude?

Protein actually spikes insulin as much as carbohydrate gram for gram so you can gtfo with the 'insulin is bad' meme.

BIOCHEMIST HERE

SUGAR IS NOT BAD
ITS THE PREFERED SOURCE OF ENERGY FOR A HUMAN BEING

ITS NOT ADDICTIVE AS COCAINE
STOP FALLING FOR ALL THE INTERNET MEMES YOU READ

Yes, but only because there's no reason to eat it.

>Also, how does one cut out sugar the way a doctor would suggest (under 50 grams a day)?
30g/day or less is the recommended amount by all health standards, and that's probably too high according to most research.

The single quickest, easiest and most common sense approach to cutting out 99% of added sugar is simply:

>Don't buy processed foods

There you go, job done.

t. Retard

I believe every part of this post.

Every part.

>because it was literally cheaper than water
Do you live in saudi arabia? Last time I checked water was free everywhere else.

>I don't understand the difference between added sugar and sugars from carbs

Also never drink calories unless you're bulking.

Most people on Veeky Forums tout the insulin resistance paradigm, which isn't strictly false but isn't very accurate or to the point. Insulin resistance is primarily a function of fat and cholesterol interaction rather than directly from glucagon or glucose from carbs/sugars.

There are a ton of reasons not to eat sugar but recent studies are more aimed towards and uncovering the problems relating to heart health. Inflammation is another big area. Candida overgrowth is mostly hyperbole but gut flora are absolutely negatively impacted by sugar over time which has a bounty of secondary effects.

>carbs are metabolised into sugar

>sugar is a macro nutrient

>Go ahead man, tell me how our bodies dont need sugar. I have to hear this.
Your body doesn't need sugar. It needs glucose and glucagon for muscles and organs which it gets from the foods you eat, regardless of carb profile.

I've read the last few posts you've made and you're impressively stupid to the point that it must have taken you concentrated effort to ignore common sense and replies to your nonsense to believe this. Good job, you're actively impressively ignorant.

because it's useful for two things:
It has a 20/80 split of conversion from glucagon to anabolic muscle growth and fat, respectively- meaning it's far worse for gaining muscle than something like growth hormone which is conversely 80/20 muscle to fat.
It's also great for transporting glucose to the muscles.

>Protein actually spikes insulin as much as carbohydrate gram for gram so you can gtfo with the 'insulin is bad' meme.
This is flat out false and retarded to boot. Protein is about 1/9th of the "spike" of carbs. Hence why we diabetics don't inject at all for protein.

Quality post

>These are the people giving you internet advice.

Glucagon isn't a carb you fucking retard. It's A POLYPEPTIDE PRODUCED BY YOURSELF.

It's produced by the pancreas and liver to counteract the effects of low blood sugar, FROM sugars. Use your fucking head.

Low blood sugar FROM sugars?

The only fucking idiot here is you, Mr. NEET.

>Protein is about 1/9th of the "spike" of carbs. Hence why we diabetics don't inject at all for protein.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20060863

The high protein meal actually spiked insulin higher than the high carb meal. Please provide your source for the "1/9th".

care.diabetesjournals.org/content/7/5/465

An ever better study where they compared 50g of glucose to 50g of protein and the glucose only slightly edged out the protein on insulin response.

You need to read a book instead of acting like a spastic on image boards. There's a lot more to it but the basics are that the body converts sugars into glucose which is in turn stored as fats or used by the organs. It's also converted/created into glucagon primarily in the pancreas and released again when your blood sugar runs low. In short, your body stores sugars for later use via the liver and pancreas.

Now stop shitposting.

>When protein was given alone, the glucose concentration remained stable for 2 h and then declined. The insulin area following glucose was only modestly greater than with a protein meal

>After the second glucose meal the plasma glucose area was 33% less than after the first meal. Following the second glucose + protein meal the plasma glucose area was markedly reduced, being only 7% as large as after the first meal. These data indicate that protein given with glucose will increase insulin secretion and reduce the plasma glucose rise in at least some type II diabetic persons.

You're disproving yourself while highlighting exactly what I just said. The area is the same or less when protein is added indicating exactly what we already know- protein and fat both reduce insulin spikes when taken with carbs because they increase the duration it takes to convert the carbs into glucose in the blood and both fat and protein can be ignored when accounting for insulin

If this weren't true you'd see every diabetic on a keto diet to go into a coma after 24 hours because we diabetics do not inject for protein or fat in meals, because it's approximately 1/9th that of carbs.

You're saying

>protein and fat both reduce insulin spikes when taken with carbs

the thing you just highlighted said

>These data indicate that protein given with glucose will increase insulin secretion

You say protein reduces insulin spikes when taken with carbs, yet the study says protein with carbs INCREASES insulin secretion, moreso than carbs alone.

What you're talking about is BLOOD SUGAR and not INSULIN. Protein absolutely does cause an insulin spike on par with carbohydrate, but does not raise blood sugar levels as much.

Also

>The insulin area following glucose was only modestly greater than with a protein meal

The study is saying that a glucose meal only spiked insulin a little more than a protein only meal.

I'm a biochemist student you fuckface.

Glucose isn't directly stored as fat and glucagon isn't made from glucose.
A carb can never get ever converted to a polypeptide, let alone turn into an amino acid.

I have one message for you: hang yourself

+ haha you're a diabetic

Stuffed yourself too much and now your mind became delusional?

I've tried my best to cut sugar out of my diet completely, however it's very difficult so here's how I've tried to minimise my sugar intake
Drink only water and eat dairy / vegtables / small amounts of fruit / fibre: pasta, rice / carbs: brown bread, bran flakes / and meat

No power bars / no protien shakes / no granola.

This advice is malicious, for the sake of your health and well being, please do not take anything from 4 chan too serious.

Short answer: yes, you should.

Long answer: hell yes, you should be worried.

No, he's fucking right you idiot.

If you keep your calories in check (imporant!) you CANNOT overeat on sugar.

Because a NORMAL diet has way more things than just sugar in it.

Mmmuh sugar is bad people are even worse than retard as fuck vegans.

Do you know what fructose does to your liver?

GUYS

I'm trying to lose weight but I like to have 25g of cane sugar in my coffee every morning. This is pretty much the only sugar I eat every day.

AM I FUCKING EVERYTHING UP?

SERIOUSLY GUYS

Sounds like he's a type 1 diabetic, man.

You're thinking of type 2 which can be caused by a lot of things. If he's small now he probably doesn't have type 2.

Within normal ranges? Absolutely fucking nothing but provide ATP to your cells.

When I go on keto for cutting I always notice how much of a reduction I take in sugars. Usually I'm under 50g, in keto I'm under 10g.

Wrong, fructose converts to tryglicerides.
Sucrose= glucose + fructose
They both go to liver, but one of them (fructose) converts to tryglicerides, unless your muscles are entirely empty of glycogen (which is not possible unless you ran a marathon).
Than and only than fructose will in some level go to muscle (but still a portion converts to tryglicerides).

Hi, we diabetic reporting in.

I never used to have issue with protein but now I've found if I have a protein and fat only meal I do have my bloods raise afterwards. Looks like other T1s do get the same response since I go on some diabetes forums and now if it's a 0g carb meal I will inject a 3rd of my carb ratio of the g I ate for protein and this seems to work. No more spikes after protein meals.

Body is weird. It's always a rollercoaster.

Do you even know what a triglyceride is? You cannot even spell it correctly.

And only when theres an excess (read: not within normal ranges), carbs get stored as trigylcerides.

Ever heard about ∆G?

Not my language, would you know how to spell тpиглицepид in my language?
If you don't know basic stoichiometry don't talk about biochemistry.
Search for fructolysis. Better yet open up a book, Guyton and Hall Med. Phy. or Biochem from Voet and Voet.

>carbs get stored as trigylcerides.

I wasn't talking about fat storing at all.

>pasta

lmao

I think your liver produces glucose when you don't consume sugar, right?

Well I'm not going on shitty russian imageboards thinking like I know it all.

And this isn't about 'basic stoichiometry' you fuckface. It's about actually understanding chemical pathways instead of believing your internet shite.

But I'm sorry for you that you're russian.
Alias retarded.

Not a Russian.
Nice education.
Stop shilling.

Sweet lord of kek this thread was a fun read

>eat as much sugar as you can stomach.

Worst fucking advice I've ever read.

10/10

glucagon is a hormone you godanmn mong

Suure whatever you say putin

>Americans have sugar in their fucking yogurt.

What the fuck is wrong with you?

Protein causes an insulin spike as well.

GI is irrelevant unless you are diabetic or pre-diabetic. A banana has a higher GI than cola. Just avoid refined sugar and shit like corn syrup.

Fructose is preferentially metabolized to glucose in the liver, and ONLY once the liver is saturated will it start being converted to triglycerides.

Fructose doesn't just immediately start turning to triglycerides.

>Worst advice I've ever heard but I won't elaborate and here's my evidence (nothing) that contradicts your advice.

What why would it be bad for you? It's actually essential to have glucose in your blood (sucrose will be split into glucose and fructose by your digestive enzymes) or you would die.

Caffeic acid. Fucking uneducated vegan tards.

>Insulin resistance is primarily a function of fat and cholesterol interaction

Oh great, it's this guy again.

>glucagon isn't made from glucose
He meant glycogen.
>A carb can never get ever converted to a polypeptide
Glycogen does have the protein glycogenin at its center, but it's still considered a polysaccharide.

The worst fucking advice.

Just the fucking worst.

What article is this?