I just started lifting recently and I had a question about bench pressing that the sticky didn't answer...

I just started lifting recently and I had a question about bench pressing that the sticky didn't answer. Do I really need to arch my back while benching? I'm not doing it to the degree of pic related obviously, but it doesn't feel like it's adding anything to my strength towards pressing the bar up and felt no different from when I tried it without the arch. Is the arch something meant for people trying to squeeze every ounce of power out to press the bar, or is it truly integral at all stages? It just feels a bit silly arching my back to bench only 75lbs.

yes u HAVE to arch ur back just like in pic or u die
source: I'me an docter

You should have a slight arch, it helps keep your shoulders in a safe and stable position and helps you more efficiently transfer energy into the barbell.

>Wearing knee sleeves and deadlift shoes to bench
You don't need to arch unless you compete. You do need to keep your lower body tight. No dancing feet.

but Opie say he bench no arch! Then who was Opie?

If you retract your scapula like you should to protect your shoulders, you'll naturally have a slight arch.

Should I jerk my back while deadlifting?

as hard as you can. While it's rare, if you can get the legendary "back-snap" to happen, that's your body releasing raw paleolithic hunter-gatherer testosterone and you'll double your gains within a month or less.

Okay. Thank you!

You're a dumbass if you actually bought that.

Elaborate

Arch your back slightly so a hand might be just able to slide under it

Not more

you need to arch your back slightly to prevent injuries, mostly from your lower back

How does that work? Every other exercise I do says to keep the back neutral or it's snap city.

it has to do with something called gravity
by arching your back your lower back will be under less pressure than your upper back, it also reduces the distance between the starting position and the ending position

Shut the fuck up and stop misleading OP.

OP, if you listen to these fucks then you deserve your back pain.

Back should always be neutral in every exercise.

arching your back is retarded.

drew a little image for you op, this is coming from a noob lifter with only 1.3 years experiance and only presses 2pl8 1rm, take this as my opinion, not solid advice on how to do anything.

BRIAN ALRUSHE HOW TO BENCH PPRESS

WATCH IT NOW FAGGOT

LITERALLY ADDED 10LBS ON THE FIRST DAY EMPLOYING HIS TECHNIQUES AND TRICKS

KEEP THAT CORE TIGHT BABY

SORRY FOR CAPS

dude was born to bench

A lot of the archong is to reduce ROM in comps, look at chicks bench.

i still don't get this meme
how the fuck do you "keep a core tight"

yes, a powerful twisting and jerking motion gives you the most power off the floor.

mirin