Can you learn to defend yourself at home?

Can you learn to defend yourself at home?
I can't afford a fighting gym right now.

I'm not looking to be a professional fighter, just be able to defend myself from violence.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aWeJu1CvPnI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Buy a gun legally and get conceal carry license

>needing a CCL for your home

What communist country do you live in?

You know how much of a pussy you are if you pull out a gun for a fist fight? I can understand if you are fearing for your life but 1v1 without weapons is the way it should be if you want to settle a dispute.

le bussy meme
walk out into the ghetto and get shanked retard

OP was looking to defend himself from violence which gives out the impression he is talking about violence outside of his home, not people breaking in.

Also, in my country I can't legally own any weapon to defend myself.

I'm not a nigger who goes out looking for fights. If someone jumps me they're eating lead. One less degenerate off the streets.

>Expecting people who are going to viciously attack you for no reason to play fair.

Your life expectancy looks short, user.

The moment someone shows any sign that they wish to cause me bodily injury of any sort I will use any means at my disposal to kill them as quickly as possible.

conceal carry.

A gun > niggers

user...I'm so sorry.

>Also, in my country I can't legally own any weapon to defend myself.
Lad just put petrol in a water bottle and carry a box of windproof matches.

Even pepper spray and tasers are illegal in my country.

Slash proof and bullet proof vests are also illegal. The reason they justify the bullet proof vest being illegal is that criminals could buy them then commit crimes and have armor against police, but slash proof vests (vests against knives) being illegal makes no sense because police don't use knives against criminals.

Even slingshots are illegal and you need a gun license to own a paint ball and bb/pellet gun.

you can learn movement patterns relevant to your own body as a system

but combat is a system of bodies

so you can learn to throw a punch in a mechanically sound way, but not necessarily in a combatically sound way, if that makes sense.

you can do a lot on your own though, and by the time you start feeling more capable, you will have discovered how to afford a fighting gym. because you will care more deeply by then. because that is the mindset of a champion.

No. You'll forgot every single thing you've ever studied once you start getting punched to the face for the first time.

You get better by sparring against other opponents.

Lad literally just douse the person attacking you with petrol and light them on fire. Nobody will ever find out.

This is how I learned. My buddy who was an amateur mma fighter would kick our asses until we could defend ourselves against him. He'd go all out too. Was pretty damn fun.

But we did live in Chicago and you had to be tough to survive so he wanted us all on his level in case shit went down and we had to fight.

If you've actually been in fights and know how to keep your cool then yes you can definitely teach yourself basic self defense.

Get a heavy bag, teach yourself how to punch and just practice pummeling the shit out for a full minute as fast and hard as you can so if someone gets in your first you can just wail the fuck out of him.

do a shit load of shadow boxing. When you do kick the imaginary opponents shins or palming his face. Teach yourself to fight dirty.

Be aware of your surroundings and what you can use as a weapon. If you see someone approaching, you can either run or grab a big fucking brick and throw it at him THEN run. Or pummel him with a a glass bottle. It doesn't matter how good he is, If you find a pile of bricks or a big sharp object and hurl it in his general direction, he'll get wrecked.

Watch a ton of ACTUAL street fights and fight drill videos and incorporate what you watch in your shadow boxing. This way you actually get in an actual fight, you'll have a reference on how you should react.

practice fighting in your own mental dojo in your spare time or like when you're waiting in line.

You can't really teach yourself martial arts per se, but you can definitely teach yourself how to fight and survive.

This

Don't practice a punch of fancy wushu flip kicks. Just practice basic shit, like grabbing a weapon, kicking his balls, pushing or running. Whatever you gotta do to live.

Not really no.

First off forget any ideas of self defense. There is only fighting and the best fighter wins.

You can get good at hitting hard at home and you might even teach yourself to hit correctly but fighting is 97% distance and timing and that can't be learned without a partner and fighting regularly.

>Can you learn to defend yourself at home?
Learning to fight alone at home with youtube videos instead of going to a fighting gym/learning martial arts is like using machines instead of lifting free weights.

>Can you learn to defend yourself at home?
You can if you bother to seriously study fighting techniques. Not that weak shit like "I watched a youtube video on it". Really analyze how fighters move.

Nope.

You can't see your self.
Even if you could see your self you don't know what your doing wrong.

Your best bet is get super fit.

Even learning how to use a gun at a professional level requires classes.

Sweden?

This.

Even technical skill needs to be taught.

>Your teaching your self bad habits. You will have to unlearn.

Fighting and martial arts requires a "special sauce". That means sparing.
Iron sharpens iron.

You need to manage distance, timing, adrenaline dump, and other complex things against a equal or preferably more skilled sparing partner.

Your full of it.

You can learn from those videos.

>But it is a world of difference
For a coach focusing on you trying out that technique. Over and over again.
Doing over and over again.
Then trying live with a skilled sparing partner doing the same thing to you.

If you do this your insanely stupid.

Sounds like brain damage.

And super unskilled training.

This.
I would add in pistol classes.
And lots of time on the range.

no. save up and go to a fighting gym

this.

i could agree with this if i were your age and had no life experience.

this. also op go to the range often. and be sure to have good people skills in life in general.

this.

op should focus on upping basic strength and movement. if he tries to like shadowbox or some shit he might end up being worse off esp with bad habits.

agreed, he should have the mindset of a champion.

yes and no. op should def start sparring against opponents, but even sparring alone isn't necessarily enough.

i love friends like this. it's fucking annoing when people say shit l ike
>"if they do this i'll just do this"
>"kicking is for pussies i would just do this"
>"why would you grapple? i would just stand up and punch him"
yeah, they say that.

>implying I haven't learned from youtube
I vastly improved from never doing martial arts to almost coach level in two years from doing my own study and analysis.

All I'm saying is that there is a huge difference between "watching youtube" and getting into the nitty gritty minute details.

>Get a heavy bag, teach yourself how to punch and just practice pummeling the shit out for a full minute as fast and hard as you can so if someone gets in your first you can just wail the fuck out of him.
i'd say that's better than not doing anything... but i wouldn't suggest this at all.

>do a shit load of shadow boxing. When you do kick the imaginary opponents shins or palming his face. Teach yourself to fight dirty.
easier said then acted. "just do this" you say that. but you fail to give key pointers. op is gonna develop bad habits and get his ass taken.

>Be aware of your surroundings and what you can use as a weapon. If you see someone approaching, you can either run or grab a big fucking brick and throw it at him THEN run. Or pummel him with a a glass bottle. It doesn't matter how good he is, If you find a pile of bricks or a big sharp object and hurl it in his general direction, he'll get wrecked.
not necessarily. and who's to say he wouldn't do the same to you, faster? "if you see this just pick this up and do this"

>Watch a ton of ACTUAL street fights and fight drill videos and incorporate what you watch in your shadow boxing. This way you actually get in an actual fight, you'll have a reference on how you should react.
this. and it's not just about watching. it's a form of studying.
it's KIND OF like playing videogames. some people just play them to have fun, others play them to increase reaction timing and to catch onto patterns and systems.

>practice fighting in your own mental dojo in your spare time or like when you're waiting in line.
that's not to say imagine slamming every dude you see. i think a better way to say this is to work on reflection and a form of meditation.

>You can't really teach yourself martial arts per se, but you can definitely teach yourself how to fight and survive.
this.

i see your point but i think you need to read a book.

it's worse than that.

this. there is a huge difference in just watching something and actually studying it, and more importantly studying yourself and how it influences you. same with movies or tv shows or even commercials.

this. he should work on getting super fit and work on sports movements/drills so he can actually put his fitness to use.
as for the gun thing i think anyone with a gun should go learn how to use it. obviously we can all shoot shit. same with punching. obviously we can punch. but we don't really know how.

Guns are great, but you still need empty handed skills. Thugs aren't going to wait for you to draw, they'll be on you while your gun is holstered.

Buy an Italian Longsword.

this. and who's to say you won't get shot before anything or anyone is even seen? or what if you get stabbed and you don't see it coming, and you try to pull your gun and shoot but you miss and it goes ina fuckin house andyou kill a pregnant woman? there are so many MANY paths bad situations can take but we all seem to have conclusions as to what we'd do. yet those logical conclusions won't always work out. that's why training hand to hand is very important.

and people against hand to hand combat training are usually just lazy people who've never been in a fight in their life.

and i hate those gun fanatics usually dudes in their 20s and 30s, overweight, who are actually against fighting and just say "if they want to fight me i'll just pull out my gun" yeah okay man. this ain't no videogame.

You sure your not fooling your self?

On the daily I can after class, test my skills on live fighting back people.

How do you test your skills?

Youtube combat?
Video games?

VR is legit if gets up running.

8/10

I carry a gun now because I was winning a fight before then his buddy jumped in and it was pretty difficult at that point.

ok. generalizing to the n'th degree. yes. go to class > don't go to a class. but if we don't analyze everything suggested here opmight end up fucking himself when he does need to defend himself. but op doesn't/can't go to a class.

Well then he shouldn't pratice martial arts or fighting.

Get fit. Carry a gun.That is it.

Also learn to run (comes with getting fit).

i wasn't suggesting he does, i was suggesting he up his physical fitness level and basic ability to move.

very good point. a skill a lot of people aren't good at.

That sucks.

Train for the worst.
Hope for the best.

Again leave martial arts and fighting to the professionals. Leave it in the gym or cage.

Real life is real.

Ok we cool bro.

If you can afford a $150 hi-point you can afford to defend yourself. If not, or if youre a eurocuck, good luck.

Haha yeah. He once choked my other buddy out because my buddy said if someone chocked me I wouldnt get chocked out those are to easy to defend against. He was just like "oh really?" and chocked the ever living shit out of him.

so familiar. also on tv like ufc, comentators point things out when they are grappling, so it's not like the average eye wouuld understand waht is going on on the ground, but they do understand once it is explained. then they have this false idea of how they woulud fight. people are so one dimensional and that is their own downfall, all starting in their mind.

People dont get assassinated out of the blue, and even if they did, hand to hand training would not save them. Overpenetration is practically a meme. There is nothing on this earth that will allow you to protect yourself better than training with and carrying a firearm.

I own 7 guns and live in a stand your ground state

I have absolutely no experience with self-defense or martial arts so my opinion isn't worth shit, but I think that in the end of the day learning proper fighting move is just a question of habit, of doing it until it becomes an instinctive response, etc.

You can always find some interesting lessons on Youtube to help you. And also watch footage of real fights so you have some idea of how they really go. 95% of the fights on youtube are solved with a simple punch to the head.

youtube.com/watch?v=aWeJu1CvPnI

Look at this, nothing fancy, just a guy knowing how to avoid punches and wait for the right opportunity. It's also 2v1 and they're younger and in better shape than him.

Also, have you ever head about how some archery pros will often close their eyes, imagine the target and do all the movement on their heads? Do something similar but executing the real movements, picturing the guy coming at you, rehearse the leg work you'd do to avoid their punches, etc. Idk I'm just throwing some ideas.

No. If you only do it at home, you'll never actually experience the feeling of knowing a punch is coming at your face.

Just remember to protect your chin at a fight cause that's your main weak spot. Apart from that, protect your face with your arms next to your head and stiff your legs so you don't get knocked to the ground.

If you do get knocked down, just go into fetal position so your opponent doesn't kick you in the head.