How does plate size affect your lifts?

How does plate size affect your lifts?

Let's say you want to do one plate (60kg) OHP.

You can either use thin metal 20kg plates, or you can use a large 20kg bumper plate either side.

Which is harder?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx1ytBh6kgU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_momentum
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>counting the bar

Generally if you drop something and it falls to the floor it weighs something and should be counted

it doesn't, you use the exact same weight.

>not adding the weight of your balls
kek

Wider weights make your ego wider which in turn makes your muscles wider

>not adding more weight the closer to the equator you are

Not that much, maybe deadlifts. Just not exaggerated size to weight

>not counting the mass of the oxygen and nitrogen in your lungs

> he drop the bar

When I do OHP, I have an easier time balancing the bar when I use metal plates than when I use bumpers.

Might just be in my head.

but thinner weights make the weight seem not as much and so you don't give up half way since you believe in yourself

Ill admit, using bumpers on OHP makes me feel stronk. When I push press, the bumpers actually serve a purpose
I hate when people use bumpers for DL and squat though.

I'll use a bunch of 25s for deficit deads. Way easier than finding something sturdy to stand on that still lets me perform the lift.

Stand on a bumper plate
It's easier to deadlift with wider plates because it causes the bar to bend more. If you're pulling 500lbs with thin plates it's harder than 500lbs of bumpers.

Those are cool looking plates.

TLDR neither is harder- as long as the sizes of the plates are the same on each side, there is nothing more or less you have to do. This might change if you're tilting the bar, though...

>uses bumpers for OHP
>complains about bumpers for deadlift

you are a faggot

>using bumpers for OHP is justified but not deadlifts
Legit go fuck yourself.

Dafuq kinda shit is this

you use bumpers for OHP, when they are meant for olympic lifts and deadlifts

you then complain that people use them for deadlifts, correctly

you are a clueless faggot

But one is bigger though

Really only matters on deadlifts. The wider the plates, the farther from the bar center they are, the longer the weights stay on the ground as the bar bends. Pulling with bumper plates in much easier than with calibrated plates.

>tfw same weight plates but different size

>literally no difference in feels

smaller plates are better
bigger plates have more momentum if your form breaks down and you start rotating a little, so you should prefer thin plates
but then again, your form shouldn't break down

i'd guess wide plates have a use for lifts that start off the ground (if your lifts are babyweight): when pulling with bumper plates (or a lot of normal plates), you can be pretty sure that the plates are perfectly perpendicular to the ground, meaning you pull exactly as much as you think you're pulling
however, if you use normal plates without collars keeping them tight together, they'll twist and wobble a bit, and your RoM will be slightly larger.

again, the effect is minimal.

>momentum

p=mv my friend. Size has nothing to do with momentum. The plates have the same mass.

>bigger plates have more momentum

The press is an olympic lift
m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx1ytBh6kgU

Bumpers should be used on diddly, but you also shouldn't drop or bounce the weight... even TNG should be done less frequently.

There is slightly more oscillation with the bumpers because the weight of the plate is centered further from the center of the barbell.
Of course it doesn't make much of a difference.
How you didn't figure this out by yourself is beyond me.

Lmfao Veeky Forums is so retarded sometimes

We only have plastic coated metal-plates in my gym. I prefer using as few plates as possible, it seems like it is easier to keep stable then- for all lifts.

>bar oscillation on a babbyweight 60kg press
Ok buddy

there's really only one way- it's the torque the larger/more numerous plates.

for example, if you load a 45lb plate on each side, the mass is concentrated closer to the center of the bar.

if you load a shit ton of plates, it pushes the torque/mass farther from the center. Thus, if you have a slight weakness on one side, having more weights/larger weights will create more torque (and effective weight) on the weaker side, exaggerating the difference.

of course, that may or may not be a significant difference, i don't feel like doing math, but there is, in fact, a difference that may affect your lifts, however small.

This. Technically more torque will be generated from plates being further from the center of the bar. But the difference will be negligible is most situations.

He clearly said it doesn't make much of a difference. The difference is there though. If you can prove that it isn't, then we have to dig up Newton and let him know he was wrong.

bigger plates > bigger radius > bigger momentum
educate yourselves, you fucking retards
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_momentum

I just said it doesn't matter, you stupid fucking cunt.
That being said, there's a barbell in my gym that starts whipping @110 kg.

You probably mean the moment of inertia.

>I explained myself poorly and people didn't understand me, they must be stupid.

Read my post above my dude, I calculated for this exact thing. In isolation, with one plate on one side of the bar, this would have an impact. However, this is cancelled by the other plate on the other side of the bar- so the net moment about either hand becomes zero.

that only matters if the load is eccentric and is a function of the degree to which it is eccentric. it's insane to even mention it, it's so miniscule. like a landmine type press would be the biggest difference and it wouldnt be noticeable.

>again, the effect is minimal.

uhh, squatting is a perfectly valid use of bumper plates assuming you are above lmao 3pl8

Only way a plate size would affect your lift is when they modify your rom, only thing I can think of is deadlifts. ex using 35's instead of 45's

then why do ballerinas (and normal human beans too) turn faster if they tuc ktheir arms in, and slower if they stretch them out? it's symmetrical and mass doesn't change

if you're spinning the weight like a ballerina with the center of the bar as the point of rotation you're not lifting weights correctly.

why don't you read my first post then
>if your form breaks down and you start rotating a little, so you should prefer thin plates
>but then again, your form shouldn't break down
jesus christ

even if your form breaks down a little it wouldn't rotate enough to increase momentum to any degree that you could feel it.

>again, the effect is minimal.
oh, so i am right yet again?

>the effect is minimal.
the effect is negligible.

I.E. practically nonexistent, not just minimal

> so you should prefer thin plates

which means you were wrong.

it will only make a difference regarding weight distribution. the load will be more unstable the further the weights get out from the center of the bar. if you use thick as fuck bumper plates as opposed to thin iron plates during a deadlift, for example, you're more liable to windmill.

but the difference in smaller loads like in OHP is negligible, unless you're loading up nothing but 10's until they reach the end of the bar.

>Not considering the gravitational force of moon

Well, the size of the plates matter if you're doing deadlifts under 1pl8 (like my qtgf), because it changes the height of the bar. Otherwise, yeah, it doesn't matter.

false
bumper plates should only be used if you are going to drop the weight.
squatting over 3 pl8 has nothing to do with it

Yes there is a difference. Bar bend becomes a factor the more the bar bends the easier the deadlift for example.

Is it significant no.

No. There is not "more torque" generated. See statics analysis above

Even though the weight SHOULD be the same, I think there is a psychological thing about using bigger plates.

> be me
> trying to OHP 1pl8
> fail a few times
> instead of the big 45 lb plates, use 4 10s and a 5
> do it easily
> after that, I can suddenly use the big plates, and hit 5 reps the following week

>but steel is heavier than feathers

Radius matters, obviously.