Madcow 5x5

Just hopped on this program a few days ago.

Anyone else feel the volume is lacking? Sure, it's 5x5, but you're ramping up to heavier weights, so the first 3 sets aren't challenging.

Can anyone share their experiences on the program?

Just do TM instead.

I just started it this week too.

It's a strength program. It has enough volume to get your numbers up. What else could you want?

I dont want to do power cleans on TM.
What do i replace it with? Pendlay rows?

This. I've been doing Texas Method in some variation for 2 years. Incredible and flexible strength template.

No exercise selection is mandatory on TM.

You can replace it with speed deadlifts at 50-60% of your intensity day or high pulls.

>MA Identity unknown

I'm too lazy to turn it off when I post on my iPad outside of /plg/.

>Incredible and flexible strength template.
how so?

It can be designed to accomplish any goal you desire. I use it for powerlifting, I've helped my friends use it for strength gains during football, rugby, and shotput.

>Would smash
>8/8
Routine's shit

So when is any 5x5 routine going to be better than say a 3x12 one. for strength gains only?

Pretty much always.

It might not be better than a program that uses 3x12 as part of its periodization, but it'll generally be superior to a program that tries to use just 3x12.

I just feel like my muscles burn more and get worked more doing 10-12 reps instead of 5

Those are some really nice implants on that shemale.

how's TM better than, say, candito's UL programs etc for intermediate?

The most important thing to remember is that madcow is built around making runs and resetting. Dont try to run the program for several months without resetting.

that is very, very arguable, and very individual

most good strength programs past beginner have a lot more volume than madcow
how the fuck have you managed to do TM for 2 years, and what are your lifts?
it's a shit program, just do something else entirely

that's because they do, you accumulate more metabolic stress with higher reps

not as specific to 1rm lifting though, will not make you as strong

Everybody too concerned with sets n shit. Go to the bench press, slap a shit ton of 10s on each side. Lift until failure, remove tens from each side, replace with 5s. Wash, rinse, repeat until youre down to the bar and are struggling with 10 of those. Sweet gains, many DOMS for you.

>Remember starting too light is better than too heavy – let it be easy the first weeks, focus on technique and speed, and only aim to break PRs starting week 4. For more information, read Madcow’s original guide here.

I use 3x5 for my big compound lifts then 3 x 8-12 for my isolations

Been there. It sucks if you don't modify it. The idea of doing heavy triples and transferring onto heavy sets of five is ok, but once you start struggling with the triple, you'll miss your monday five. The overall volume is really low, bench especially.

Do some sort of heavy 3x5 with 50-70% warm-up sets beforehand and increase the weight by 5 kg on friday, then decrease it again by 2.5 kg on monday and to the set of five.

Or just get a coach if you're interested in strength training.

>few days ago

It's supposed to be fairly light until like week 4. It will be very challenging once you reach double digit weeks. Made great progress myself on Madcow.

How does one work up to a single in order to get a new 5RM in TM?

Madcow is really good, I made really solid gains on it.
If you just hopped on it, its because there is a 4-week ramp up period. Come back in 4 weeks and tell me thaaat the volume is lacking.
After about week 7, you are dying by the end of each workout

as this guy said, there comes a point where transferring the heavy triple on friday into a 5-rep set on monday is really tough. at that point, deload or add more volume on friday (i.e. another set of 8)

How do you know how long you should go without resetting?

When you start regularly missing reps, its time to deload (or find another program if you're no longer getting PRs after the reset).