/PLG/ – Powerlifting General

Welcome to /PLG/ – Powerlifting General. Primarily for the purpose of becoming a better athlete on the platform, but all forms of strength training accepted!

Post progress, PRs, meet videos, schmexy lifts, or anything strength training related!
PowerliftingGeneral.com

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KgkBWZXVLyk
youtu.be/QIBm2YLNYwY
youtu.be/os55U3Ng66g
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cfn4wy-9lc3mO5ObkoBU_Bf2GUtkr42gCyZS_hzeD4I/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1A8YmCRV8hL4VFdMtuSzNAM_0wjPF4lj1HxHFEnMVers/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18nIdEHDGktGptKsWDQzowXkmHeM6XGMFj-TnGdQKLmY/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1htZVT7ltLYVBSB3Uh9PQKqARitj46IEgihbo3Uu04P0/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NUdKocJ2GnpjFXei-N_doL7NM6aT-LwulkS8LQwGEk/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-Yt4THa8mZNR81aUcgDVgdqTpc3GiAKLenx3Z7id0yE/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1akqwfO1und1UI1zvnwK9KIMeJ-r0TLjYJMxi2cTp84c/edit?usp=sharing
youtu.be/4hquwIpmpDk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

trappychan (male) is a low quality poster (possessing penis) and the only reason she (XY chromosome) hasn't been bullied out of here is because sex starved virgins orbit xer

discuss

2nd for puppers

Trappychan memorizing Starting Strength and a bunch of articles written by other people does not warrant your considerable ego.
Fuck off.

Looks like trappy succesfully killed /plg/

oh well, it was fun while it lasted, im going to reddit

Trappy, anyone on Veeky Forums really, what routine or program do you recommend for someone coming off TM and wants to cut. Currently at around 85 kg. My lifts are around 185/115/192. I seen the PowerliftingtoWin video about nutrition and I will try to lose around 0.5-0.8 % of bw per week till I reach around 80 kg. How do I keep my hard earned gains? What program do I run? I sleep between 7.5-8.5 hours a day if it means anything.

pls halp

When I reach 80 kg I'll decide if I want to go down to 74 again. Is there a way to go from 85 to 74 and keep my strength?

pls halp, sorry for the long story

why not 83kg, thats the official weight category or not

You can cut on TM (and attempt to maintain your lifts) as long as the deficit isn't too severe. Jesus did that, as well as being super strict with counting calories, and actually managed to gain some muscle in the process, DEXA confirmed.

Alright /plg/

Everytime i asked this question i get varying responses from "do whats comfortable" to "low bar and sumo fpr maximum weights"

Q: are there any advantage whatsoever in choosing high bar (not necessarily olympic stance) over low bar in powerlifting? And conventional over sumo and vice versa?

Typical responses:
>HB General strength, LB for pepperlifting

Then how come guys like rubish/haack/lilliebridge squats high bar then?

>high bar if you do conventional because the quad strength will translates well to conventional deadlift

>sumo for more weights if you can get to position because muh adductors abd less range of motion

Then how come all the deadlift monsters who break 4 digit numbers do conventional deadlift?

TM is becoming too grindy and pushing heavy ass weights every week makes me neurotic because I keep comparing every Friday (and some mondays). Don't want to sound like a pussy, but it just feels like TM takes too much of a toll mentally and physically.

I'm 5'7. I'm becoming too fat. 83 is fine but for the sake of my health and looks, I think around 77kg is best and then I'm also within reach of 74. I'm basically more Candito-mode than Candito himself. My legs are the Twin Towers, upperbody is meh.

i gained 7 kg in one week

78.5 last friday, 85.6 today

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE

if 1 kg equals 7700 calories, it'd mean a surplus of 7700 a day

or the scale is fucking busted. it's brand new though

i had to widen my ohp grip around a finger-width today as well because my shoulders felt wider

maybe i'm in an alternate universe

L I M B
E
N
G
T
H

feeling a bit of a headache

should i go to the gym?

water weight
salt

Lilliebridge and rubish switched to low bar quite a while ago.
A lot of people train with high bar because it doesn't tax your recovery and interfere with dl training as much as low bar. Partly because of the lower weight used, partly because of a different focus in muscles involved.
Some people also train with high bar because low bar fucks up their shoulders.

All of these are reasons why you see some people train with high and then switch to low when a meet is close.

From here on in if you want trappy chan to leave you must STOP POSTING STARTING NOW

youtube.com/watch?v=KgkBWZXVLyk

WATER
A
T
E
R

ed coan is a manlet and he managed to be a leanish 93kg. You just got to fill up your frame.

i know but i ate the exact same things the week before so it's weird that all of a sudden it jumps like that

never had as big of a jump either

stop asking trappy for advice, he is a twink who barely lifts and just memorised a bunch of books.

At 1:28 youtu.be/QIBm2YLNYwY

You're not, I definitely agree that TM can be pretty fucking brutal, even with a caloric surplus.

Water weight + excess food still being digested

>Then how come all the deadlift monsters who break 4 digit numbers do conventional deadlift?

because strongman doesn't allow sumo??

you took the scale from the basement to the first floor innit

Worst trip award of late 2015 through to 2017 goes to...

*drum roll*

T R A P P Y - C H A N

Please congratulate trappy next time you see HIM

ok dino

I can't even imagine TM on a cut. I eat like a madman on mondays and tuesdays plus friday and saturday. Would it even be possible to maintain my strength on the program without it being grindy week in and week out?

is it okay to stop SS before hitting 1/2/3/4 as an average male at 181 cm?

i'm only at 85 kg deadlift and i've started doing 2.5 kg jumps instead of the initial 7.5/5 jumps

at this rate i'll only progress 30 kg a month

i reckon i'll stall long before i hit 4pl8 diddly, as it will take 4 months to reach

also, i feel like my hips might start cramping when benching when i try to engage my legs in a wide stance. they feel really tight. if i don't go wide my ass shoots up, and if i bring the feet further back i can't plant my heel on the ground. can't find the perfect position

Is Sean finally back?

*i meant 15 kg a month, and 8 months to reach

You should never have started SS

85 kg and 2.5 jumps?
Man up

is that guy natural?

Not anymore

What's a good game I can play on my phone?

>only 15kg a month

the sheiko app

yoyoyyoo laddos, killed some 242.5kg singles squat, I'm the strongest I've ever been, it's a good feel :)

go on discord and have it open 24/7 so normies think you have friends

good for you insulini :)

big PRs for me tommorow
I wish you all frequenct and consistent PRs

But only if you post a good boy ITT

no posting bad boys

BOBBY h-have you seen a last flower?
One of my favourites

Natty?

Yolo single for shits and giggles because 280 flew up
youtu.be/os55U3Ng66g

I have not

yes breh, I compete in the allmighty EYE PEE EFFF

...how did you come across the song from the anime then?

Watch it man, its good.

Natty?

Flowers of Evil (Aki no Hana?)

I guess I screwed up the translation ahh
Yeah, the one where they destroy the classroom and then run away.

I had forgotten about it until I heard the song and knew straight away

What the fuck are you wearing?

Are those long underpants?
Put some pants on for gods sake

Why do you think I made pic related?
Rip's method of teaching the deadlift is great and simple.

The only thing I add besides what he teaches is talking more about the core, loading the hamstrings, using the lats, pushing the floor, and hip thrusting.
He overly simplifies the movement in order to make it easier to learn, which is what he should do really. Makes it much easier for novices to learn how to at least be decent.

But as this community is a community of slightly more advanced lifters, adding the details I add is important.

HAHAHAHAH

I used to fucking love the office. Even though it's pretty bad.

D E V I L I S H
E
V
I
L
I
S
H

beautiful Tbh

Think I fucked up my SI joint

Ahhhhhhhh fuck

Fgt in my gym doing circuit training, each round lasts like 7mins because he does a fuckton of different exercises, of course monopolizing a bunch of dumbbells, bar, mat, machines, cable stuff.
>reeee and so on and so on

Irradiating to the glutes... That's not good.
Means it's sciatica and not just a muscle strain.

The McGill stuff user recommended you is good. Now you gotta be patient and work on recovery.

Btw, don't use ice. Use heat if you're gonna use anything.

If your bed is too soft, it might make your back like shit. So sleeping on the floor can help.

I'd also recommend seeing a doctor.

But don't worry too much, you can recover and go back to deadlifting heavy.

S L E E P
O N
T H E
F L O O R

Convince him to do SS+GOMAD instead.

RIP yellow pl2s

Squat is looking nice though.

S H E I K O
The volume is high, but you can make nice gains while cutting on it, if you have the energy to finish the workouts.

If you don't, 5/3/1 is a good option.

I'll post the links in a sec

Sheiko Programs:

>Beginner (/plg/ internet exclusive)
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cfn4wy-9lc3mO5ObkoBU_Bf2GUtkr42gCyZS_hzeD4I/edit?usp=sharing

>Intermediate Small Load (/plg/ internet exclusive)
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1A8YmCRV8hL4VFdMtuSzNAM_0wjPF4lj1HxHFEnMVers/edit?usp=sharing

>Intermediate Medium Load
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18nIdEHDGktGptKsWDQzowXkmHeM6XGMFj-TnGdQKLmY/edit?usp=sharing

>Intermediate Large Load
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1htZVT7ltLYVBSB3Uh9PQKqARitj46IEgihbo3Uu04P0/edit?usp=sharing

>Advanced Small Load (/plg/ internet exclusive)
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NUdKocJ2GnpjFXei-N_doL7NM6aT-LwulkS8LQwGEk/edit?usp=sharing

>Advanced Medium Load
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-Yt4THa8mZNR81aUcgDVgdqTpc3GiAKLenx3Z7id0yE/edit?usp=sharing

>Advanced Large Load
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1akqwfO1und1UI1zvnwK9KIMeJ-r0TLjYJMxi2cTp84c/edit?usp=sharing

Here.
I recommend the Beginner spreadsheet. Run the prep cycle, then the first week of the comp cycle (where you test new maxes) and restart.
After that you can switch to intermediate or small load if you want, or continue with the beginner program.
And read pic related.

Here's the uglier 300 attempt.
youtu.be/4hquwIpmpDk

Yeah, I loved it.

Don't lie you know you love it slut.

There's a meet on April 8th called Pennsylvania State Championship, do you have to qualify or anything to compete there or can you just sign up? I'm wondering cause it's the only local meet around when I wanna compete but it says State Championship idk

Sorry for being dumb this is gonna be my first meet

gib sauce

Just come of 14 hour shift with 4 and half hours sleep, went to the gym and only hit 4 reps on each set when i was supposed to hit 6. The rest of the workout felt like shit too, i couldn't lift enough weight to feel like i worked myself properly.

Was it stupid of me to lift today, or will it still be beneficial? My next workout is Monday, is it pointless to lift when you feel like shit and its a poor quality, or is every workout good as long as you do some work.

I actually don't know, Hanke made that pic. I'll ask him.

Lost several inches (like 3 fucking inched) from my quads after not squatting for so long. (4 months?)
Only lost 10kg from my squat.

I don't wanna squat sighhhhhh

:^(

>RIP yellow pl2s
They were coming apart :( I'll miss them... Also I like nike fitting much more, they're much wider for the same length

3x bodyweight bench

2.9 bodyweight bench

Change your name to spammy-chan

>by a cheating slanteyed twink

who gives a shit

2x bodyweight bench

>Then how come guys like rubish/haack/lilliebridge squats high bar then?
Why does Williams, Sumner and Cornelius squat lowbar? Checkmate faggot.

You're no longer bumble bee mode matching the knee sleeves and shoes though.
Rip fashion and tokusatsu gains

A ton of factors influence strength beyond muscle size and skill with the movements used to test strength. The strength of individual muscle fibers, normalized muscle force, muscle moment arms, and body proportions can all have significant, independent effects on strength.

Just as there’s massive variability in muscle growth – some people gaining a ton of muscle in response to training, and other people gaining very little – there’s massive variability in strength gains as well. Normalized muscle force (how strong a muscle is relative to how large it is) can increase up to 39% for some people anddecreaseby as much as 5% for others, in response to the exact same training program.

Early on in training, there’s averyweak relationship between gains in muscle and gains in strength. Gains in muscle mass may explain as little as 2% of the variation in strength gains for new lifters.

For more experienced lifters, gains in muscle mass may explain up to 65%+ of the variability in strength gains, highlighting hypertrophy as a key factor for strength gains in trained lifters.

Training style has a big impact on the ratio of strength you gain relative to size, with heavier training generally producing larger gains in strength.

>6 inch rom

God I hate this shit. Fucking group of Isley's abusing the rules

In common parlance, the lats are a “pull” muscle that you use primarily for movements like rows and pull-ups, which are essentiallythe opposite of the bench press. In more technical terms, they’re primarily shoulderextensors, with secondary functions asinternal rotators,adductors, andhorizontal extensors.

Of those four movements, three of them are counterproductive in the context of the bench; when you press the bar off your chest, you’re in internal rotation (yay lats!), but you’re also trying to accomplish shoulder flexion, abduction, and horizontal flexion (boo lats!).

What’s more, since the bar isn’t actively trying to externally rotate your shoulders (unless your elbows are way in front of the bar), and since your pecs are also strong internal rotators that are firing hard in the bench press, it doesn’t really seem like the lats are needed for internal rotation either.

So,from the outside looking in, it would certainly seem strange that people care so much about the lats’ role in the bench press. It seems like worrying about the role of the pecs in the barbell row.

Interesting. Sauce?

More flexible = better at the sport (in general)
That's not uncommon, weightlifting has the same sort of deal.

Almost accurate. Lats become flexors under a certain degree of hyperextension. If you simulate the position of the bottom of the bench press, and contract your lats, you'll see it can actually bring your hands up a little bit (not much)

does she have schitzophrenia too

But don't be mistaken, they're still ridiculously strong at bench pressing even if they don't arch or use leg drive at all.

Does it say anything about qualification totals on your federation/the meet host's website? If a meet require qualification it usually says so, otherwise it's just to sign up. I don't think a state championship have any qualifying totals, powerlifting isn't at that number of participants yet.

Who?

Check the tripcode senpai.

Usually you only have to qualify for nationals and world's.

Yeah but you're forgetting eq bench.

makes sense to me, for most people getting stronger early on is just the body adapting to the movement. Like most males will have the muscle to deadlift 3 plates but there body won't be adapted to lifting 3 plates.

You eventually hit that wall where technique improvement and body adaptation are going to be making very little difference and you just need to start building muscle. Which is where programs like sheiko which have stupid amounts of volume are good.

Source?
1. I know it
2. You know it
3. Everybody knows it

Not the same chink.

It's this one

Partial rep training, or using exercises with a limited range of motion, derives its history from old-school strength routines.

Paul Anderson, one of the strongest men ever and without steroids, found it useful. He would advance by increasing the range of motion, reaching enormous poundages in the full squat.

Many powerlifters use exercises within a restricted range. They include assistance movements such as high box squats, board orfloor presses, and rack pulls. These aim to fix weaknesses for a specific movement or muscle group.

Does this popularity indicate that partial reps will work for you though?

Be wary of the lessons you think you learn when studying the elite. They have the best drugs and genes, giving them more flexibility in their programs compared with the natural, average trainee. You need to analyze what is truly responsible for their success.

Consider these reasons to avoid partial reps.

Reasons

An investor should act as though he had a lifetime decision card with just twenty punches on it.

– Warren Buffett

Tension is greatest in the middle of each joint’s range of motion.

This is the main reason to avoid partial rep training. It tends to emphasize positions whereleverageis best but the muscles function weakly. This is the same flaw asaccommodating resistance, which uses bands, chains, or machines to overload the top of a movement.

I have never felt any pain lifting ever

is this a good sign or a very bad one

Calm before the storm.

Lift fast to be fast.

This phrase has hurt countless trainees.You should lift not too fast nor too slow, no matter what your goal. Practice your sport if you need to build your speed.

Those that seek help read and hear the most from the mainstream. The gurus tell you to look at the low injury rates inOlympic weightliftingas proof that you can lift fast yet stay safe. This leaves out the truth that those in high school or college sports know and that few find out. The truth is that many athletes get hurt when they focus on these exercises. Due to the wrong direction of exercise today, instead of looking at the poor exercises and methods, they blame bad form or a lack of a good coach.

Olympic weightlifting swayed fitness in its early stages. The current crop of researchers and trainers stem from this origin. Anyone opposed to them are shunned as the fringe of the field, so trainees do not know much from the other side.

Beyond sport, many come to feel that you must lift fast to best build muscle. In fact, if you lift too fast it harms results. When you can move fast, you fail to build muchtension, the main reason your body builds more size and strength.

Lifting fast brings these poor assumptions.

Assumptions

The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.

– Isaac Asimov

You need to move fast to hit the fast-twitch muscle fibers.

You do need to try to move as fast as you can when it feels tough.Motor unit recruitmentshows that effort matters more than speed though. If you would take away a heavy weight at the peak of the effort, the limbs would move as fast as they could. Both heavy and fast actions, for bringing these fibers into the fray, work the same. As talked about soon though, heavy weight is best for tension.

Some feel that lifting fast uses thefast-twitch fibersfirst. We do not know if this takes place in humans but it does occur in animals, such as when a cat flicks a paw.

I was like this and then a few months ago my knees started hurting, now my calves are hurting and my chest and delts feel tight as all hell.

You'll get yours ;')

Why is Sheiko so popular here?

I ran both Sheiko and Candito 6 week, and i got quicker results from Canditos and the workouts felt harder.

Sheiko bench days felt easy, you never lift anything heavy and only do low reps.

>Why is Sheiko so popular here?

Because it works.

>Sheiko bench days felt easy

See pic related

but you're a gde

and I'm not

That's pretty rude user, I advise you to rescind that comment.

You just havent reached the dead end

it will come

That's because you started doing cardio and bodyweight shit

sleep on diamonds

Nah bby, I got knee tendinitis way before I even started running or doing BW memeshit just from squatting. Mostly towards the end of my first Sheiko cycle.

Recommend me a lower back isolation movement.
I currently do SGDL and Back extensions.

Also why does my lower back feel so nimble and free when I train it every session but quickly feels tight and weird when I give it a weeks rest...

(I sleep on carbon nano tubes bte)