Scoliosis and working out

Does anyone on Veeky Forums have scoliosis or know someone who has it and works out?

Is there any special steps you/they take when working out?

My spine is pretty much the same as this pic, t2 to t12 fused with 2 rods.

Besides be not being able to bend or twist my back I can't feel anything in my upper back so i honestly would have no idea if I hurt it.

so any tips of tricks to someone with scoliosis would be appreciated.

no idea but here's something to keep you motivated

Hey bruv. I have a rod and screws on my spine going from t11 to l1 i think it is. I workout just fine. Do powerlifting so its not that bad
Deadlift 185kg
Swuat 140kg
Benvh 115kg
Ohp 75kg.
Take it slow. See what causes pain and what doesnt

I have scoliosis in the lumbar spine. Never had surgery, so I'm fully mobile. I don't take any special steps, other than stretching and twisting before every workout. You can't cure scoliosis, but honestly working out has improved my posture and made my back more comfortable. No more chronic pain.

I'm very impressed mate. Those are some damn good lifts.

Thanks dude. Only huge minus is not being able to fully arch on the bench because youre limited and cant surpass a certain angle

Thanks Veeky Forums You've given me hope.

got to 200kg deadlift and 180kg squat with scoliosis, never been injured

Guys I'm getting spinal fusion surgery on March 9th, what should I expect for recovery and when do you think I'll be able to get back to lifting? I'm pretty nervous for it

hi op, i have scoliosis and i have no problem with SS so far. if anything, my deadlift seems unusually high, and im not just talking about the typical imbalance that noobies have on deadlifts. i mean my deadlift is REALLY high compared to my other lifts.

Yeah, bench is definitely the hardest lift for those with scoliosis(in general)

deadlift is the easiest

I have it and had a ton of trouble lifting for a while. Then I started playing rugby and literally thought I was gonna die during scrums. Now lifting is easymode.

I had fusion surgery in 2012, t4-l2. As long as you've completed physical therapy and spoke with the doctor, weight lifting shouldn't be a problem.

Some exercises are going to be more difficult or will cause some pain so you might have to cut them out or substitute something else. Good form is absolutely paramount.

I personally cannot do barbell rows or low bar squats. Rows cause lower back pain and I can't go deep enough while moving my back on squats. Fixed by doing a rowing machine and high bar squats. I have no trouble with the other main lifts.

Tl;dr: study form, talk to a doctor

OHP is way harder than bench

I have a little scoliosis but definitely not that bad. I wouldn't squat or dl if I were you, to be honest.

I have a lot of trouble with OHP as well, I think I said bench because I just naturally have bigger/stronger delts than chest, but yeah it depends on the person and what type of bend they have. Mine is much more rotational than it snakelike like lamar gant

To all bros with non surgically fixed scoliosis in this thread.

>DO NOT PROGRESS ON OHP
DO NOT PROGRESS ON OHP
>DO NOT PROGRESS ON OHP
DO NOT PROGRESS ON OHP

Pushing things above your head compresses your spine and if your scoliosis is bad enough like mine was puts you at greater risk for a slipped disk or pinched nerve

I don't do OHP at all anymore after snap city

I knew a kid with this surgery. He couldn't dance or do lifts. Poor bastard.

I had really minor scoliosis when I was younger and lifting actually improved it. This all happened between the ages of 13-16 so my case may be different from yours

I have scoliosis but not so bad that it requires intervention. My back muscles always feel weird after squatz and one side of my back is visibly more developed than the other. One of my thighs is also thicker. I know this because some of my boxers are too tight on one side. No idea what to do to remedy it.

i dont have scoliosis but one of my disks in my thoacic is crushed. im in pain all day and want to kill myself

Fugg, that's one of my favorite lifts.

What is a good substitute for OHP then?

WE POSTING THEM X-RAYS?

In regards to exercise doing lifts causes my lower back to hurt really bad afterwards so I did less squats and stuff since its better than injuring myself and getting another 2-4 months recovery

I have lumbaric scoliosis with a curvature of 8 degrees. And plan on joining army / infantry would there be problems I might have to worry about like long run health risks from rucking and stuff like that

I had kyphosis, same vertebrae (just bent in the opposite plane). Post surgery there's nothing any different to the norm that you need to do. Just look forward to being able to do pull-ups because your back muscles aren't all over the place

Nobody here will be qualified to speak to your situation.

My girl has both scoliosis and lordosis because her mother was a valium popper who didn't eat.

She opted NOT to have the fusion surgery (mainly because a friend of hers who had it died after having it - blood clot) and actually feels better after deadlifting.

She can not do a proper squat, however, so she gets her leg work in by biking.

Good luck, user.

Definitely not the same thing, but I have four herniated discs from a car accident. If it werent for yoga and an inversion table, I would be fucked.

Can I substitute with handstand pushups?

Don't listen to this guy, there's nothing to worry about if you flex glutes and core.

Like seriously why would you worried about OHPing X weight and not squatting 3X weight. As for squats, go ass to grass(not the "ATG" you see on here, I mean actual ATG 6 inches above the ground or less) so you only have to put a plate and change on there even if you're advanced.

Are you retarded? Bracing just prevents your spine from compressing disks forward or backward. There is no way to offload pressure from a spine, let alone a bent one, in a standing or even seated overhead press.

scoliosis infanteer here. thats not a problem, although you will have crippling back pain from forced marches. i solved it by downing painkillers before each march. no permanent damage, but be careful

what was your weight you were pressing and how bad is your scoliosis