Anyone here go to a YMCA gym?

Anyone here go to a YMCA gym?

Whats it like? Is the religious aspect too "in your face" or is it ok?

Faith in God is the foundation of every excellent physique.

God gave you the marble and the chisel.

The only thing "in my face" at the YMCA is the weirdo in the bathroom.

>YMCA
literally who

Its a place where you can when you are short on cash, you can stay there and you'll have a good time.
They have everything for you men to enjoy,
You can hang out with all the boys...

>he doesn't believe in a Supreme Being

Never gonna make it

yeah. it's pretty well equipped where I go to.
4 half racks, a platform, a handful of benches and dumbbells.
of course, the usual menagerie of weight and cardio machines, too.

As far as religion, I don't think the name is about as far as religion extends in this one. Maybe it varies by location? i don't know.

In the 1840s, a British Christian farmer who had recently moved to the city was concerned at the sinful lifestyle he saw the lower class workmen exhibited. He thought that the cause of all the drinking, gambling and violence that these people occupied themselves with was both a lack of God and a lack of options - more "wholesome" hobbies like reading, appreciating art, bible study, etc required money or time these people didn't have.

So he set up the first YMCA in London, which stands for the Young Men's Christian Association. The idea was that it was a place for labourers to spend time on non-sinful pasttimes like exercise, sports, reading, etc as well as providing free beds and food for these poor citizens. The idea was that by demonstrating the power of Christian kindness, he would convert all the people who had initially come to the YMCA just for the free food and/or ocmpany. The movement spread internationally, and there are now about half a thousand chapters of the YMCA all across the globe.

YMCAs nowadays focus more on the homeless than just workmen, but they are still a great place to go to meet new people and get incredibly cheap food and lodgings if you're, say, a skint tourist or just plain out of money.

The actual "Christian" part varies hugely between YMCAs though - some are fanatical and some are practically secular.

George Williams, the founder of the YMCA, has a stained glass window in Westminster Cathedral dedicated to him.

It's really not too bad. Mine has like three racks, three platforms, four benches, some incline and decline, and a fuck-ton of equipment.

I've never noticed anything about the religious aspect of it, though I only go when I'm back home visiting my parents. I go to a real gym where I live.

yeah, i hear it's fun to stay at the YMCA.

As an atheist, at my Y I am still able to walk out just as aetheist as I went in.

it is affordable and you can use other branches inclusive. They often have children since they are family marketed.
Mine I feel confident leaving the locker unlocked, something I would never consider at a chain.

I go to a Canadian YMCA where 40% of the users are muslims, 30% Indo-Chinese, 30% white, so it's not religious at all.

It's just pricey for regular folks. If you're poor you can donate time and have free membership.

To answer your question OP, I didnt even know YMCA was a Christian Association. I dont have a membership there, my friend does. The few times that ive went, they had no mention of Christ or anything religiously. None of my friends who have memberships ever mention something of religion either.

I live in newmarket and they're opening a fitness centre in like a week that's suppose to be like YMCA desu

I might cancel my goodlife membership and sign up there kek

To add, in Montreal there is a YMHA instead of a YMCA. The H stands for Hebrew instead of Christian.

The jewish Y was heavy on religion. Like separate times for men and women.

Pricey is an understatement.

Why would I pay 20$ a month to go to the YMCA when I can go to a discount gym for less then 10?

Here I pay 60$ instead of 10$ for the cheapest gym. I live in the close suburb of Montreal, and theres a gym every kilometer.
For me it's ok to pay extra, because I can access the pool, the ball hockey games and go train in other centers with my sister.

Also it makes sense for families, since there are other services like kindergarden etc.

If you use the gym only, yeah, you better go for the cheaper options.

Go to Lakeland Hills YMCA
its an awesome gym and it's filled with a bunch of people who are serious about weight lifting

The gyms around where I live aren't cheap. The cheapest anytime membership is still like $30/mo.

The way I see it, the Y angles really good deals for family membership, not so good for individuals. Especially the one where I'm at, a lot of older people who get senior discounts and families with enough children to really benefit from the daycare activities.

Besides, the expensive membership cost is an amazing deterrent to the NYR crowd. I haven't had to share a rack or compete for equipment at all this past month.

Been going for two years, never even knew there was a religious aspect until today.

What did you think the C stood for?

Mine has nothing religious in it. Gets far too crowded when there is a swim meet though

>tfw

I work as a lifeguard at the YMCA, really comfy part time job. I show up, walk around the pool for 3 to 8 hours, life and go home.

No one has tried to push religion on me, but there are religious people there. I also try to aviod the gym around 3 to 4 becasue all the high school kiddos are there.

They have everything you need to make gains. But at my Y they could use more free weights, it is cardio machines as far as the eye can see.

check um

original content is over rated.

>avoiding high school women of 100% legal age in swimsuits...

>do you want me to go further ?

I thought the ymca was a gay gym, not religious

>believing in God is an opinion

You have to be intellectually bankrupt to not believe theres a God.

nobody has ever mentioned religion to me at mine. just cool trainers and people all around. Vanderbilt Y in NYC

I got hit on by a qt 16 year old on the swim team. They did not want shit to do with me back a year ago but, but now they are all over me when i am 18.

Also the there are no high school cuties in the freeweight area, just a bunch of dyel faggots and some fat dykes.

I had no idea the YMCA was a christian organization. I didn't even know what it stood for and I went to one for a while near my house. Everything was pretty mediocre though in terms of equipment and the other stuff they offered. You would grow out of it after reaching an intermediate level of just about anything.

The C in YMCA stands for Christian.

I drink the supreme bean tho

I also didn't find out until recently that they housed homeless women on their upper levels. I never saw any around though.

>Is the religious aspect too "in your face" or is it ok?

Being gay is a religion now?

Ive worked out at 3 different YMCAs in the past 8 years. none of them even mentioned god at the facilities. of course all of them were in the mid Atlantic region of the US so that may have had something to do with it. idk, go visit your local Y and do a tour. unlike some gyms the Y seems to actually show you exactly what you're getting when you do a tour.

I disagree. Nothing about this world necessitates there is a god

But I am God..?
>Me
>Family
>Me again

Actually, that sounds about right.

Atheists burn twice, user. Once in this life, and again in the next.

The Rule of Three

1. Me
2. Me
3. Me

Fixed that for you

I used to go to the YMCA at Bayview-Sheppard by the condos there and it was $60, and I believe it was an extra $20 if I wanted to access any of the other Y's. Place was packed at all times of the day except 11 AM.

Cringe

lol wut, it's a christian thing?

>weights scattered everywhere
>dumbbells not organized properly
>staffed by a bunch of fucking dumb highschool/freshman college kids that never do their job to rerack/organize weights
>sassy black woman works reception at front desk
>old people sitting on machines doing nothing
>mean mugging 12 year olds
>no hot grills
>i've been lifting for a year and i'm the strongest person in the gym

i can't think of anything else but it's pretty alright

Autism

The YMCAs in my area are pretty b decent. It's a diverse crowd and nobody talks about religion. They do have a lot of programs for helping out the community.

I used to go to the Y back in the 90s.
but back then it was the unoffical hang out for gay men.

>n-no homo

Sometimes there's a guy who will say god bless instead of hello but not really.

It's kinda pricey unless you're military or first responder. I wouldn't go unless you were using all facilities (gym and pool) but the gym is fully equipped and usually not packed

Where is your god, does he hear your prayers? Does he even care for you? His silence speaks all too clear.

same. for a christian organization, they sure have a lot of queers

Amen brother.

you can get a good meal

>the rule of 3
Squat, Bench, Deadlift

(You)

W-wha? Why is everyone here saying it's pricey? I specifically chose my local Y simply BECAUSE it was the cheapest option available.

Pros
>15 bucks a month
>Pool
>Boxing ring+Boxing bags
>Steam sauna (RIP Zyzz ;_;)
>Lots of benches
>Lots of racks
>Lots of freeweights
>QT receptionist, tbqhwyf

Cons
>Lots of DYEL Highschool fuckboys
>Super crowded from 3pm to 7pm
>Old men won't stop getting nude in showers
>Sometimes those same old men track water into the weightroom and I almost slipped and died once
>No qts beside the one receptionist

Literally the best gym I've ever had. No other gym I know has all that for only 15 bucks a month. Local community college has all those, but you need to pay 25 for the gym, 10 for the pool, and 10 for the track, and you can't buy them separately, it all has to be in one big bundle, which defeats the whole point of wanting to join their membership in the first place.

membership is expensive as shit there

Neat; thanks user

>most expensive around
>not 24/7

I like the concept of the Y, I like the entire concept of a fitness haven, where basically all of my non-work/non-home activities take place at a club, like a fitness club, but I work 330 to midnight and I can't fit the Y into my life.

my local authority run gymn/pool costs £240 per year for the pool and gymn, and that off peak only. for peak times they sell you addons.
peak is all day sunday, and after 4pm weekdays. saturday is off peak but they close at 3pm.
i fucking wish there was a YMCA near me

why the fuck did autocorrect add those extra n's

Christian life is best life.

West Island bro??

I go to the ymca and I knew some of the kids who work behind the counter volunteer there go to church, but no one says shit.

I got membership to all the ones in my area. Gotta start hitting up the one with the full size lap pool.

Where I live the Y is 90 a month with some stupid high joining fee. But if you're poor like me they have finicial aid which lowers it to 15.

Pretty sure in higher income areas they just jack up the price. I live on the edge of wealth so....

bucks a month

nigga here in Australia I pay $15 a week. goddamn I'm jelly of you amerifats

>Get cancer and YMCA gives me free membership so i can get in shape
>Turns out within a few days i have some mysterious heart problem that keeps recurring
>Can't work out

My YMCA is literally a workout room and a basketball court. Might be because its in California though

I think it's because I live in a town. Cities, I'm certain, must be much more expensive to get a membership.

YMCA fag here. The one I go to has a ool, two basketball courts, of course a weight room / cardio machines, basically everything you'd expect. ANd it's not christian at all only in name. 8/10

If you're not triggered by seeing a bible quote or two on the wall relating to will or strength or determination or something, you'll be fine.

t. I work at a Y

it was proposed in my midwestern town to build one with a pool basketball and raquetball court and a 30$ membership. I was stoked but of course it got shut the fuck down in a vote. now we are getting a strip mall fuck it all

Nah, Chomedey, bro.
Same thing tbqh.

Wtf I thought YMCA was just a gym

Been to the Barrie YMCA before, the gym was practically empty besides me one time, and the other time there was 2 other guys there, I'm pretty sure its the biggest/best funded YMCA in Canada, too. No religious aspects at all, I wasn't even aware there was supposed to be any. Pretty fuarking nice tho.

Yeah I get a 50% discount because I'm first responder but without it the price is 64 a month.

newfie here, YMCA is pretty damn good
we got a pretty new one, Ches Penney YMCA
here's the benefits lsited
• We Like the Way you Roll - Whichever way you roll we have space for you. 180 free
parking spaces for convenient parking and dry bike parking.
• Make a Splash - Play pool and main pool for people of all abilities and ages. You can also
relax after a long day in our whirlpool.
• Food and Friends - Healthy food grab it to go or stay in our café and relax with friends.
• Lockers and More - We have five types of change rooms all with in-floor heating. Adult
Only change rooms offer: towel service, private sauna and internet service.
• Get Your Game On - With our full size gymnasium for basketball, badminton, volleyball,
soccer, group fitness classes and more.
• Go With the Flow - Soft-floored fitness studio will help you keep your balance. We offer
yoga, martial arts, cycle classes and much more.
• Bring it On! - Challenge a friend to a game of squash, racquetball or handball in one of our
two courts.
• Work It! - Over 5500 square feet of state of the art equipment to help you reach your
strength and conditioning goals.
• No Barriers! - The Ches Penney Family Y has been designed with accessibility principles in
mind.
• Take a Break! - We look after the ones you love while you look after your health and
fitness. Y Child minding provides care for children ages 0-8 years old.
• A Day at the Park - Whether you’re a child of 5 or 75, you will love playing in our
playground when it’s not being used for licensed child care. Take a stroll on one of the
Grand Concourse trails around the building.

costs less than a goodlife membership so im happy

YMCA is the fucking shit.

If you are a poorfag, you can get financial aid and only pay like $16 a month. There are 8 of them in my city and most of them have awesome indoor pools. Some are salt water and are awesome.

The people are chill as fuck and they have so many machines. It's a wonderful place to work out.

It's a community center with Christian administration. It's basically what you'd get if you amputated all the extraneous facilities off of one of those midwestern jonestown cash grab megachurches and moved them to another plot of land, and let them subsist on their own donations and fees honestly instead of loading up the collection plate. Gym, daycare, food, lodging, etc. Mine growing up had a lap pool and a basketball court and stuff.

It's nice and a good idea and I like Christian people and their intentions and I'm still an existential nihilist. If you're unwilling to expose yourself to the ideology of others, you probably stand to benefit from doing so.

>Why would I pay 20$ a month to go to the YMCA when I can go to a discount gym for less then 10?

To finance something that's helpful for people in less fortunate positions than you. And by proxy to give yourself something to feel good about so you feel less bad about the things you feel bad about and don't have to face them.

Basically this. Seattle YMCA here and we seem to favor motivational quotes from black celebrities over here instead of bible verses. We even have a rainbow flag hanging in the entrance just to show their openness to the LGBTQs and immigrant populations.

>i've been lifting for a year and i'm the strongest person in the gym
Basically the only reason I go back after all that spiel about gays and immigrants

>But at my Y they could use more free weights, it is cardio machines as far as the eye can see.
Same.

If you don't believe in God, how can you be a good person? If there is no God, there is no reason to be good

if the only reason you are being good is because you believe in God, then it sounds like you do things only out of self-interest

How can religion be "too in your face" you're literally living in a world created by God breathing oxygen he invented, eating food from animals he created.