/running general/

What's the best time to run? I used to run at 8 pm and I feel like I get strange looks from people.
Also, I haven't gone on a run in over a month. I was on week 5 of c25k. Are my gains gone? wat do?

5 a.m. for me

it's hard to wake up for that though. Any tips?

bumpu

training in the evening was my go to in the lead up to my half marathon, hated waking up early.

running is so gr8 no idea why more people don't do it desu, I felt so great after running 14 miles the first time. unfortunately i have stopped running and went into sprinting/strength training exclusively

Just finished this, it wasn't a race, just a training run with a buddy. Do you think we are ready for a marathon on February 19th? We are both still HS seniors and not fully developed.

Running gains will go in 2 weeks of stopping.

During the cold months, I run treadmill and if I have the day off, I run during the sunlight hours. The night is too fucking cold to run.

In the warmer months, I run early in the morning. I get up around 530, run at 6, get back at 6:30 or 6:45, and get ready for work.

How the fuck do I deal with anxiety of people seeing me?

Focus on your run, ignore them completely and realize that nobody fucking cares. If anything they're wishing they had the willpower to do what you're doing or making up excuses as to why they can't.

>13.1 miles
>7:35/mi pace

jesus fucking christ. I just started running, but holy shit I don't think I'll ever achieve this in my life.

Its very achievable. You need to be very regular with your running, and you need to shed a lot of weight. Every extraneous pound of fat needs to be burned off.

I was having a lot of trouble Week 5 of Cto5k but I lowered the treadmill run speed from 6.0 (10 min pace) to 5.5 and was able to do it.

Is this bad? I think I can do 6.0 for 5 minutes once but for 8 minutes I start huffing and puffing like crazy. Should I keep repeating day 3 of week 5 until I'm able to do it? Or should I keep going at 5.5 speed (like 12 min mile pace) and finish the program then get faster?

I'm pretty happy, I could barely run 3 minutes earlier this month but I did the program almost every day repeating days as needed and I'm noticeably getting faster and leaner. I still kind've hate running but I hope I can learn to like it soon.

I run outside sometimes but it's like 75-25 treadmill to outdoor running. I've lost 6 lbs so far in 3 weeks.

>Its very achievable
I hope so.
I only started running about a month or two ago.
At the moment I am doing a mile and two miles. My best time for a mile is 6:56 and pace for the two miles is 8:50.
I would love to attempt a 5km run. But I feel like my pace would be like 12:30/mi.
>You need to be very regular with your running
How often do you recommend? At the moment I'm only doing it 2 or 3 times a week, which I know probably isn't as often as I should.
>and you need to shed a lot of weight
At the moment I have a BMI of 19 (179cm and 64kg).

Is there any tips you wish you were told when you were a beginner?

Stop being fat before going for a run.

Run every day. Raining? Go run. Snowing? Go run. Nuclear apocalypse? Run run run. Taking two days off running makes you feel like total shit and you lose whatever running gains you made.

Run hills and trails. The elevation exercises really puts meat on your legs and wind in your lungs. Mix things up and throw in sprints. And try to run with a partner. It's 10 times more bareable with someone to banter with.

Work out your core. Punish your abs.

And for God's sake, never heel strike.

>Run every day
Awesome, I'm gonna go for a run tonight once the heat of the day fucks off.
>Work out your core. Punish your abs.
>And for God's sake, never heel strike.
I'll start working on these.

In terms of building the ability for longer distances, is it a simple matter of just dropping down the pace and just pushing yourself past that finish line, and then slowly rebuild pace from there?

>tfw recovering from a hamstring strain so minimal walking etc til next week
THIS IS HELL

My resting heart rate is usually around 85. I want to get it lower.

What do? Longer distances?

I used to run all the time now my calves are too fucking big

Mileage is great but only up to a certain point. You also need to exert yourself.
I did tempo runs where I would run at a decent pace for a half a mile, then stride for 400, then another half mile, etc.

Also, you really need to build a mileage base. Running builds your bones and joints but it punishes the hell out of the first.

Is there a single person in this world that enjoys the treadmill? Is there any way to make the treadmill bearable?

I am the kid with the half marathon time. I didn't know if the time was good enough to go on to a marathon or not because I've never run an actual half marathon race, just trails and farm roads with my friend, because the races are too expensive. Either way, I'm still pretty young, but I have been running for about 5 years now, on and off. What I can tell you, if you really want to make insane cardio gains, focus on cardio. Run 6 times a week, Saturday long run, Sunday off, two sessions of hill sprints. Upper body training is also important, but high rep push-ups, pull ups, and something from the handstand push-ups progression will be enough, as well as pretty advanced core workouts. Still, the training should be only bodyweight and not enough to completely Tucker you out for your running for the day. Even if you are a beginner, run 6 times a week. It isn't lifting, while you still need recovery time, you can run a lot more often than you can lift. Also, your running workout on two of the days of the week should be hill sprints, 8-10 sprints, 70-150 yards/meters, always on a hill(helps prevent injury). Monday and Friday are good spaced out days for hill sprints. Eat a lot, and realize that running is an individual sport, so as you progress you will realize different individual needs and learn how to change your program accordingly. Even if you aren't too serious about cardio, running 6 times a week will still greatly increase your times.

No one likes it.
The only reason I go on it is because my town is the flattest fucking thing ever.
My tip for it is bring your phone, and watch a TV show or some shit
The thing treadmills have over normal running is you can just put your phone in front of you and watch something.

Not sure why you would want to. If you are competing in shorter distance events it will kill your top speed

I still have a significant amount of time before I start college xc, so I don't think a marathon in February will mess me up too much if I go back to normal training.

Currently run 2 miles in 18 mins, what's the quickest way to lower it to 14?

There is no quickest way. Build your mileage. Do tempos, hills, and long distance. Push yourself but too hard.
Trying to go too fast too soon will lead to injuries and you'll be out of commission for a month patching up. Then you'll give up running again and the cycle starts anew.

I like treadmills because you can control your pace without having to think about it at all. Just set it to the speed you want and zone out.