You've been tricked

I eat one, raw, plant-based meal at night. It is usually around 1400 calories. This is all I eat all day. I resistance train with gymnastic rings for upper body and a barbell for squats and deads. I often skip my daily resistance training to do yoga instead. I did my bloodwork last week and everything checked out fine. I know some will call me liar and that is fine with me. For the rest that are curious about how this is possible, ask me anything.

Other urls found in this thread:

jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaneurology/fullarticle/784788
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16219987
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6299329
jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/486478
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21092700
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21118604
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14561278
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16087975
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16188209
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12323090
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12323085
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21753065
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2756917
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1628441/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11043928
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3354491
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12748410
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21613354
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16873950
ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Iron-HealthProfessional/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11269606
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19103647
m.jn.nutrition.org/content/137/11/2346.full
youtube.com/watch?v=t4CRCJUmWsM
youtube.com/watch?v=_gQZ01yAFDc
youtube.com/watch?v=dR1FCJS8DoM&t
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

And? You wouldn't look like you lift in any shirt bigger than a small lmao.

height/weight/gear?

ok

Fuck off Kurt Cobain
Kys (again)

t. framecel twink, probably manlet too

You're not very big, but you definitely have a relatively decent physique.

Well if you actually ate well you'd have twice the fucking gains.

Great. Post your healthy bloodwork results and back up what you say or shut the fuck up and never come back to fit.

You wouldn't need to myspace-angle if you were big.

you're cut. GJ. You should be. And you're small.

I'm 5'9" around 150lbs.
I don't take androgynous steroids, but fasting does actually increase your HGH levels.

What kind of gains? I train skills mostly, not strength. What do you believe is eating well?

>I did my bloodwork last week and everything checked out fine
No you didn't and your bloodwork did not come out fine. It has been proven time and again that vegans are nutritionally deprived.

Who says I'm training to be "big"? Isn't that relative anyway?

I train for skills and strength only. The size of my body concerns me very little.

What specific necessary nutrient can you not get from a plant-based diet that you can from eating meat or dairy? Seems to me that the animals get their energy (nutrition) from eating plants, no?

Good for you OP.

I eat multiple meals throughout the day depending on the amount of free time I have. I would estimate probably 2800-3500 calories a day with a mixture of plant and animal products. I train with weights 3 times a week for both upper body and lower body, and do 2 high intensity conditioning sessions and one low intensity long duration conditioning session a week. I do a lot of dedicated mobility work almost daily. My most recent physical including blood work also showed I was fine although my triglycerides were just barely above the accepted range, which is fair because it was during the holiday season and I was eating a ton of fatty foods. My career is firefighting so I need to be strong and fit to do my job, and protect myself. I am very active with my hobbies and training helps me be better at them (skiing, kayaking, etc.)

I have different goals and priorities then you and hope your methods work for you. I do not think mine would work for you, and I dont think your methods would help me accomplish what I want.

In theory, yes. But looking at evolution the higher a creatures iq, the more efficient their methods are for feeding themselves. Sheep graze all day, dumb as rocks. Wolves hunt, smart as fuck. African Nuggets hunt with tools, smartest ape iirc. Humans learned to farm and fish
Etc.

You can do whatever you want but I would prefers not to eat a metric tonne of vegetables to replace a juicy steak

What do you want?

You realize the steak is bad for you though, right?

First, your poor stab at a racist joke doesn't make sense and isn't funny. What are you trying to argue? An animal's intelligence changes its actions? Isn't that obvious?

>isnt big relative?
skeletal/manlet detected

Can you post a non-myspace pic?

no; no i haven't lol

What's your ring routine look like?

Is this the golden one at a younger age? i agree with his poltiical views but he pales in comparision to his brother in face aeshtetics kek.

>eats like shit
>trains like shit
>looks like dyel shit

are you a faggot, OP?

>racist joke
Fuck off sjw cuck

B12, d3, calcium, creatine, omega 3, carnitine, taurine, iodine, Coenzyme q10, iron, and vitamin a.

You realize that living is bad for you as well right? You have a 100% chance of dying if you are alive, shocking I know

>dat angle
>dat lighting
You look like shit and you know it.

Post a pic facing the camera in full lighting.

LMFAO

why are you hosting a Q&A thread when you are a DYEL?

How have we been tricked?

You don't train very seriously and as a result your physique is really unremarkable even in great lighting at a great angle.

You should eat more and then eat less in one month cycles you won't get fat and you will make progress faster.

>I often skip resistance training

Bro, we can tell from the physique

Cool you can be my twink bitch.

>5'9
Manlet. You are also a vegan so you are a cuck. You are a manlet cuck.

The advice Veeky Forums gives is generally to get BIG.

It's not to get cut/fit, like you.

ALL KINDS

To save flesh from becoming ash.

B12: Veggo/vegan generally below average. Not found in any plants (some say mushrooms, turned out to be shit on the mushrooms). Gut bacteria can technically synthesise B12. Vegetarians can get enough from dairy and eggs, vegans may need to supplement.

D3: Veggo/vegan generally below average. Same as B12. The body can synthesise, but often not enough. Egg yolk works for vegetarians.

Calcium: dark leafy greens, cheese, low-fat milk and yogurt, bok choy, fortified tofu, okra, broccoli, green beans and almonds (activated). Vit D is needed to absorb calcium, so deficiencies in one area can compound.

Omega 3: walnuts and flax seed are sources, but only of ALA and EPA (and you have to eat a shit load of the stuff).
From what I've read DHA seems to be the most important omega 3 for health. "the human body can convert ALA to DHA, the process is inefficient and varies."
"Algae - Certain microalgae are natural sources of DHA. While most people believe that fish produce their own DHA, in fact, it’s the algae they feed on that make them a rich source of DHA
"Small amounts are found in poultry and egg yolks"

Creatine: Veggo/vegan generally below average. Body can synthesise this, but extra from food is normally better.

Carnitine: Veggo/vegan generally below average. Body can synthesise this, but extra from food is normally better.

Taurine: Veggo/vegan generally below average. Body can synthesise this, but extra from food is normally better.

Iodine: Seaweed (stupidly high levels) and iodised table salt.

Coenzyme q10: Spinach, broccoli, and cauliflower. "Legumes such as peanuts and soybeans are the best non-animal sources of the substance."

Iron: Requires vit c to be absorbed (vegan/veggo normally have high levels of vit c so this is less of a problem). Dark leafy greans like kale are pretty high in iron.

Vitamin A: sweet potatoes, carrots, dark leafy greens, winter squashes, lettuce, dried apricots, cantaloupe, bell peppers, and tropical fruits.

Vegancucks BTFO

>supermang
That's a face I had not seen in a long time

Yeah and you're a weak dyel twink. What's your point?

Wasn't a joke fuck nose

It's an appeal to nature and personal efficiency.

Wrong. All wrong.

Vegans are deficit in b12:

jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaneurology/fullarticle/784788
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16219987

Vegans are deficient in d3:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6299329

Vegans are deficient in calcium:

jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/486478
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21092700

Vegans are deficient in creatine:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14561278

Vegans are deficient in omega threes:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16087975
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16188209
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12323090
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12323085

Vegans are deficit in carnitine:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21753065
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2756917
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11043928

Vegans are deficient in taurine:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3354491

Vegans are deficient in iodine:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12748410
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21613354

Vegans are deficient in Coenzyme Q10:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16873950

Vegans are deficient in iron:

ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Iron-HealthProfessional/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11269606

Vegans are deficient in vitamin A:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19103647
m.jn.nutrition.org/content/137/11/2346.full

Also you didn't post any evidence or sources backing up your claims, so can back and find or shut the fuck up.

> For the rest that are curious about how this is possible, ask me anything.

Wow, everyone must be so flabbergasted how someone who eats little calories has low body fat. Thanks OP!

how the FUCK do you reach 1400 calories in a RAW, PLANT BASED meal?

Also you didn't post any sources backing up your claims or show any evidence, so go back and find some or shut the fuck up and never post again.

>androgynous steroids

Disclaimer: I eat meat.

I'm mostly agreeing with you (most vegans will be deficient). The categories really depend on individual diet and genetics.

Supplementation potentially solves all diet deficiencies (assuming our understanding of nutrition is complete [it isn't]).

I'm going to read through all the references to see if I can learn something new. But first I'm going to skim and superficially complain when things don't specifically mention vegans, or do so without data.

FIRST ARTICLE

>jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaneurology/fullarticle/784788

Neuropsychiatric Disturbances in Presumed Late-Onset Cobalamin C Disease

This article isn't about vegans. Vegans are mentioned exactly twice and with no supporting data.
>TISSUE VITAMIN B12 deficiency can be due to inadequate intake (as seen in vegans)
CAN be seen in vegans.

>Tissue vitamin B12 deficiency is associated with a variable level of serum vitamin B12. It is always low in vegans...
Low is not deficient necessarily.

Would have been better off listing the original references for the paragraphs containing those sentences, if they were even about vegans in the slightest.

1. Rosenblatt DSCooper BA Inherited disorders of vitamin B12 utilization. Bioessays.1990;12:331-334.PubMed

No mention of vegans.

2. Rosenblatt DSWhitehead VM Cobalamin and folate deficiency: acquired and hereditary disorders in children. Semin Hematol.1999;36:19-34.PubMed

No mention of vegans.

3. Linnell JCBhatt HR Inherited errors of cobalamin metabolism and their management. Baillieres Clin Haematol.1995;8:567-601.PubMed

No mention of vegans.

I'll get around to that when I have them. Stop getting sad when someone disagrees with you.

i just drank a lot of crown and i'm working my way through a bottle of wine

>acts like his physique is special
>posing pumping lighting to the max

>Who says I'm training to be "big"? Isn't that relative anyway?
theres a lot of low bodyfat people that frequent here who mantain more muscle mass than you, none of them claim to be special, yet you're here to do a AMA because...?

This doesn't contradict what he said

SECOND ARTICLE

>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16219987

German Vegan Study: Diet, Life-Style Factors, and Cardiovascular Risk Profile

This article is pretty good evidence that vegan diets are generally deficient in B12.

Cobalamin concentration in blood is taken as the measurement for B12. Healthy range is generally seen as 180-750 pmol/L.
I'd rather be in the top half of that scale.

Inclusion criteria were defined as:
>vegan nutrition for one year prior to the beginning of the study.

>49.7% showed cobalamin concentrations < 150 pmol/L
Deficient as fuck.

Moderate vegan group (ate Average:187 pmol/L.
>Highest: 748 pmol/L
>Lowest: 93.6 pmol/L

Strict vegan group: n=98
>Average: 130 pmol/L.
>Highest: 294 pmol/L
>Lowest: 72.1 pmol/L

Being strict vegan was statistically significantly correlated with lower B12 levels.
>dietary subgroup (beta = 0.043, p = 0.012)

This study doesn't mean that supplementation couldn't remedy b12 deficiency. Failure to consume bioavaiable B12 is an issue of choice.

Dude stop trying to debunk my studies.

THIRD ARTICLE

>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6299329

Reduced plasma half-life of radio-labelled 25-hydroxyvitamin D, in subjects receiving a high-fibre diet.

This article does not mention vegans.

help i cant do it

easy

FOURTH ARTICLE (Calcium)
youtube.com/watch?v=t4CRCJUmWsM

>jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/486478

Low Bone Mass in Subjects on a Long-term Raw Vegetarian Diet

This article is about bone density in raw food vegetarians and not about the entire category of vegans (raw food is a sub section that I would assume would be averse to supplementation).

It's probably fairly representative of a large portion of vegans though so let's go through it anyway.

>Raw food (RF) vegetarians believe in eating only plant-derived foods that have not been cooked, processed, or otherwise altered from their natural state.

>Because of their low calorie and low protein intake, RF vegetarians have a low body mass index (BMI) and a low total body fat content.

>It is well documented that a low BMI and weight loss are strongly associated with low bone mass and increased fracture risk, while obesity protects against osteoporosis.

>However, the underlying mechanisms are not entirely clear.

>Bone protective effects of obesity involve increased weight bearing and increased aromatization of androgen to estrogen in adipose tissue.

tl;dr Bone density low in dyel vegans because of dyel weight status.

RF vegans:
>Mean daily dietary intake
>Calcium 579 ± 260 mg/d (RDI is between 1,000 and 1,300)
>Vitamin D (calciferol) 16 ± 36 U/d (RDI ~600 U/d)

SUPER DEFICIENT

American diet control group:
>Mean daily dietary intake
>Calcium 1093 ± 394 mg/d
>Vitamin D (calciferol) 348 ± 192 U/d

Also deficient

Again supplementation is an option here (along with different choices in food within a diet). None of these studies control for specific diets so far. One can be a vegan and only eat potato chips and multivitamins, adding some sausage isn't going to fix all of their health problems (although it would probably fix some).

Get a haircut. I can't take you seriously.

(not OP) If not a troll this is possibly the most mature, articulate and sensible post I have ever read on this board. Congrats, you have actually made it, not the bullshit 18yr old zyzz-mode made it.

Legit impressed bro. Good luck with life, you got this shit

Holy BTFO. I'd seen minor questioning of that copy paste faggot 'proving vegans suck' a bunch but never got off my ass to actually debate him. You should be praised for debunking his bullshit comprehensively. Thanks user.

FIFTH ARTICLE (Calcium)
youtube.com/watch?v=_gQZ01yAFDc

>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21092700

The influence of vegan diet on bone mineral density and biochemical bone turnover markers

This is a case study of a single family n=4.
Non representative sample, too little statistical power to rule out confounds (despite agreeing with the findings).

This is a good section though (haven't read the references, but to avoid going off on a tangent I've listed them in another comment below)

>Researchers pointed out that individuals choosing to follow such restrictive diets might experience mineral and vitamin deficiencies and noted that use of fortified foods or supplements can be helpful in meeting dietary recommendations (13-15).

>In particular, these are calcium and vitamin D, which play acentral role in bone metabolism and mineralization. Its deficiencies lead to increased bone turnover, decrease in bone mineral density, osteopenia and osteoporosis (16).

>Generally, the body receives vitamin D3 from two main sources – animal products and synthesis in the skin under the influence of sunlight.

>Vegans, avoiding animal-derived food, had the lowest mean intake of vitamin D and are at high risk for this vitamin insufficiency.

>Another problem appears for those living in northern latitudes, because sun exposure in that region is insufficient for several months of the year.

>Next matter of concern for vegans is that vitamin D2 (only this form is acceptable to vegans) is substantially less bioavailable than the vitamin D3 from animal products (17).

13. Cashman K.D.: Calcium intake, calcium bioavailability and bone health. Br. J. Nutr., 2002, 87
(suppl. 2), 169-177.

14. Dunham L., Kollar L.M.: Vegetarian eating for children and adolescents. J. Pediatr. Health
Care, 2006, 20, 27-34.

15. Craig W.J.: Health eff ects of vegan diets. Am. J. Clin. Nutr., 2009, 89, 1627S-1633S

16. Appleby P., Roddam A., Allen N. et al.: Comparative fracture risk in vegetarians and nonvegetarians
in EPIC-Oxford. Eur. J. Clin. Nutr., 2007, 61, 1404-1406.

17. Vieth R.: What is the optima vitamin D status for health? Prog. Biophys. Mol. Biol., 2006, 92,
26-32.

Rekt

Hilarious to watch. The guy posts it in every thread relating in any way to vegans and most of it has little to do with vegans.

Lol @ trying to make being a firefighter sound poetic. Most Ff only see a structure fire once every three months, and then it's just a surround and drown. The only people who are actually out saving lives are paramedics.
B-b-but muh fire

I'm not. I'm seeing if I agree with them. Some I do, some I don't.

That last comment about D2 and D3 is out of date. Vegan D3 is available too.

this is just a high-level troll, the fedora-tier word choice in his posts makes it very clear. he's doing a good job though.

I haven't been "tricked" I don't lift to look like you I lift so I can eat 3 cheeseburgers in one sitting. I do cardio so I can continue eating cheeseburgers well into my 50s before my doctor recommends a tasteless salad based diet such as yours. Which I will half heartedly follow. And I may even have to start taking some regular meds by my 70s and then I'll realize why do I care I'm 75 fucking years old and I'll revert back to all my bad habits and die a happy man in his 80s

Congrats, you're autistic.

SIXTH ARTICLE (Creatine)

The influence of creatine supplementation on the cognitive functioning of vegetarians and omnivores.

Doesn't say anything about creatine deficiency although its references might (I haven't checked).

>n=128
>All female (weird?)

>However, at baseline, memory did not differ depending on dietary style, so any hypothesised creatine deficiency in vegetarians did not influence memory, rather it was found that vegetarians were more sensitive to supplementation with creatine.

Creatine improved memory in vegetarians when compared to the non vegetarian group.

>A question that has not been adequately considered is the influence of a vegetarian diet, as creatine is found mostly in meat, fish and other animal products, with only a trace in some plants.

>The levels of muscle creatine are lower in vegetarians, leading to the suggestion that in terms of exercise they are likely to benefit to a greater extent from loading with creatine (12).

>12 SI Barr & CA Rideout (2004) Nutritional considerations for vegetarian athletes. Nutrition 20, 696–703.

Creatine generally found to be lower in vegetarians.

>For example, Burke et al. (3) examined the levels of muscle creatine and exercise performance after supplementation.
>At baseline, muscle biopsy found lower levels of creatine in vegetarians.

>3 DG Burke , PD Chilibeck , G Parise , et al. (2003) Effect of creatine and weight training on muscle creatine and performance in vegetarians. Med Sci Sports Exerc 35, 1946–1955.

No he cheated the water line is broken each time by the houses.

How do I into /viktor/ mode guys?

SEVENTH ARTICLE (Creatine)

This is kind of a meme arguement because there is no deficiency guideline that I could find. Creatine is produced within the body from the amino acids glycine and arginine, you can eat animal products or supplement to increase your levels.

>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14561278

Oral creatine monohydrate supplementation improves brain performance: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, cross-over trial.

Vegans generally have lower creatine levels.

Supplementation and dietary choice directly impact this.

Where does the creatine used in sups come from? And why don't Veeky Forums focused vegans use whey powder when it has none of the supposed negative dietary implications of regular dairy products?

EIGHTH ARTICLE (Omega 3)

Also kind of a meme argument because I can't find a deficiency definition. Most sources don't even split up omega 3 into categories.

Long-chain n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids in plasma in British meat-eating, vegetarian, and vegan men.

>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16087975

>The proportions of plasma EPA and DHA were lower in the vegetarians and in the vegans than in the meat-eaters, whereas only small differences were seen for DPA.

>The proportions of plasma long-chain n3 fatty acids were not significantly affected by the duration of adherence to a vegetarian or vegan diet.

>This finding suggests that when animal foods are wholly excluded from the diet, the endogenous production of EPA and DHA results in low but stable plasma concentrations of these fatty acids.

tl;dr your body produces enough DHA and EPA to survive. (Supplementation or eating algae with DHA in it is probably better than that low base level though).

Nutrient Reference Values (NRVs) for Australia and New Zealand. (2006)

Men: 19-30 years mg/day
>Adequate Intake: 160
>Upper limit: 3000
>Pseudo RDI: 610

Women: 19-30 years mg/day
>Adequate Intake: 90
>Upper limit: 3000
>Pseudo RDI: 430

Concentrations of total plasma fatty acids and proportions of plasma fatty acids by diet group in mg/L.

Meat eaters:

ALA
>Average: 1.30
>Upper: 1.41
>Lower: 1.20

EPA
>Average: 0.72
>Upper: 0.80
>Lower: 0.65

DHA
>Average: 1.69
>Upper: 1.79
>Lower: 1.59

Vegetarians:

ALA
>Average: 1.39
>Upper: 1.48
>Lower: 1.30

EPA
>Average: 0.52
>Upper: 0.57
>Lower: 0.48

DHA
>Average: 1.16
>Upper: 1.24
>Lower: 1.07

Vegans:

ALA
>Average: 1.41
>Upper: 1.50
>Lower: 1.32

EPA
>Average: 0.34
>Upper: 0.37
>Lower: 0.31

DHA
>Average: 0.70
>Upper: 0.79
>Lower: 0.61

tl;dr

No significant difference in ALA
Significant difference in EPA
Significant difference in DHA

NINTH ARTICLE (Omega 3)

>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16188209

Conversion of alpha-linolenic acid to longer-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids in human adults.

Not about vegans.

tl;dr
>Adequate intakes of preformed long chain n-3 PUFA, in particular DHA, may be important for maintaining optimal tissue function.

>Capacity to up-regulate alphaLNA conversion in women may be important for meeting the demands of the fetus and neonate for DHA.

TENTH ARTICLE (Omega 3)

>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12323090

Conversion of alpha-linolenic acid to eicosapentaenoic, docosapentaenoic and docosahexaenoic acids in young women.

Not about vegans.

tl;dr
>Comparison with previous studies suggests that women may possess a greater capacity for ALA conversion than men.

>Such metabolic capacity may be important for meeting the demands of the fetus and neonate for DHA during pregnancy and lactation.

>Differences in DHA status between women both in the non-pregnant state and in pregnancy may reflect variations in metabolic capacity for DHA synthesis.

ELEVENTH ARTICLE (Omega 3)

>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12323085

Eicosapentaenoic and docosapentaenoic acids are the principal products of alpha-linolenic acid metabolism in young men

Not about vegans.

>Six subjects

tl;dr

>Since the capacity of adult males to convert ALNA to DHA was either very low or absent, uptake of pre-formed DHA from the diet may be critical for maintaining adequate membrane DHA concentrations in these individuals.

Whey is still dairy. Most vegans are against consumption of any animal product.
>Environmental concerns (gas released by livestock, agriculture destroying habitat etc)
>Concern over animal protein in body (Some claims about cancer?)
>Indirect economic support to other animal product industries

>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21753065

TWELFTH ARTICLE (Carnitine)

Another meme argument. Carnitine has no RDI or deficiency value. The body synthesises it.

Consuming extra will raise levels. Higher levels are probably associated with increased function to a point.

Vegetarians have a reduced skeletal muscle carnitine transport capacity.

This article isn't about deficiency of carnitine, it's about a reduced capacity for the muscles of vegetarians to carry carnitine.

i believe you bro youtube.com/watch?v=dR1FCJS8DoM&t

THIRTEENTH ARTICLE

>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2756917

Carnitine status of lactoovovegetarians and strict vegetarian adults and children

This study even says that it's inconclusive as to deficiency status in the abstract

>Whether vegetarian children are at greater risk for overt deficiency is not answered.

This bit is really interesting though, it suggests that even consuming dairy is likely not going to boost carnitine levels.

>In adults plasma carnitine concentration and urinary carnitine excretion of strict vegetarians and lactoovovegetarians were significantly lower than those in the mixed-diet group but were not different from each other.

>In children significant differences were found between all three diet groups for both plasma carnitine concentration and urinary carnitine excretion.

>The differences in plasma carnitine concentrations were greater in children than in adults, possibly reflecting the effects of growth and tissue deposition.

>Small differences between diet groups in adults do not suggest a nutritionally significant difference in carnitine status.

FOURTEENTH ARTICLE

Systemic carnitine deficiency exacerbated by a strict vegetarian diet.

>A 12-year old boy suffered episodes of vomiting, lethargy, and hypoglycaemia from the age of 1 year.

>Adhering to a vegetarian diet caused an increase in frequency and severity of the attacks.

>It was found that he was suffering from systemic carnitine deficiency that responded promptly to treatment with L-carnitine.

Case study of one.

>competing in strongman
>eating 1200 Cal a day
Hue

FIFTEENTH ARTICLE

>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11043928

Correlation of carnitine levels to methionine and lysine intake.

>Plasma carnitine levels were measured in two alternative nutrition groups--strict vegetarians (vegans) and lactoovovegetarians (vegetarians consuming limited amounts of animal products such as milk products and eggs).

>The results were compared to an average sample of probands on mixed nutrition (omnivores).

>An average carnitine level in vegans was significantly reduced with hypocarnitinemia present in 52.9% of probands.
Vegans low carnitine.

>Carnitine level in lactoovovegetarians was also significantly reduced, but the incidence of values below 30 micromol/l was lower than in vegans representing 17.8% vs. 3.3% in omnivores.
Vegetarians also low carnitine.

>Significant positive correlation of carnitine levels with methionine and lysine intake in alternative nutrition groups indicates that a significant portion of carnitine requirement is covered by endogenous synthesis.
Methionine and lysine are amino acids used to synthesise some of the body's carnitine (Not commonly available in plant based foods).
Meat eaters ate ~two thirds of their carnitine directly.

SIXTEENTH ARTICLE

>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3354491

Plasma and urine taurine levels in vegans.

>n=12 vegans, 14 non vegans

Vegans have lower levels of taurine. Not necessarily deficient.

The body synthesises taurine from methionine and cysteine amino acids. Meat eaters ingest taurine directly as well.

SEVENTEENTH ARTICLE (Iodine)

>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12748410

Iodine deficiency in vegetarians and vegans.

>Iodine content in food of plant origin is lower in comparison with that of animal origin due to a low iodine concentration in soil.

>Urinary iodine excretion was assessed in 15 vegans, 31 lacto- and lacto-ovovegetarians and 35 adults on a mixed diet.

>Iodine excretion was significantly lower in alternative nutrition groups - 172 microg/l in vegetarians and 78 microg/l in vegans compared to 216 microg/l in subjects on a mixed diet.

>One fourth of the vegetarians and 80% of the vegans suffer from iodine deficiency (iodine excretion value below 100 microg/l) compared to 9% in the persons on a mixed nutrition.

>The results show that under conditions of alternative nutrition, there is a higher prevalence of iodine deficiency, which might be a consequence of exclusive or prevailing consumption of food of plant origin, no intake of fish and other sea products, as well as reduced iodine intake in the form of sea salt.

Don't be an iodine deficient chump. Eat seaweed, it's not hard.

Yeah you look great, you're healthy, and probably stronger than the average guy. However most dudes here could pick you up and chuck you so your routine doesn't really matter.

SEVENTEENTH ARTICLE (Iodine)

>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21613354

Iodine status and thyroid function of Boston-area vegetarians and vegans.

>The objective of the study was to assess the iodine status and thyroid function of U.S. vegetarians (consume plant based products, eggs, milk; abstain from meat, poultry, fish, shellfish) and vegans (avoid all animal products) and whether these may be affected by environmental perchlorate and thiocyanate exposures.

>U.S. vegetarians are iodine sufficient. U.S. vegans may be at risk for low iodine intake, and vegan women of child-bearing age should supplement with 150 μg iodine daily.

EIGHTEENTH ARTICLE (Co enzyme Q10)

>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16873950

Effect on absorption and oxidative stress of different oral Coenzyme Q10 dosages and intake strategy in healthy men.

Nothing to do with vegans.

NINETEENTH ARTICLE (Iron)

>ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Iron-HealthProfessional/

Iron: Dietary Supplement Fact Sheet

>The RDAs for vegetarians are 1.8 times higher than for people who eat meat. This is because heme iron from meat is more bioavailable than nonheme iron from plant-based foods, and meat, poultry, and seafood increase the absorption of nonheme iron.

So eat more iron and vit C.

How do you train your shoulders with gymnastics movements, they look like a strong point, OP.?

TWENTIETH ARTICLE (Iron)

>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11269606

Dietary reference intakes: vitamin A, vitamin K, arsenic, boron, chromium, copper, iodine, iron, manganese, molybdenum, nickel, silicon, vanadium, and zinc.

This is an actual book, not a journal article.

The section on iron:

>Constrained vegetarian diets, consisting mainly of cereals and vegetable foods with only small quantities of meat, fish, and ascorbic acid, were judged to be 10 percent bioavailable;

>very restricted vegetarian diets were judged to be 5 percent bioavailable.

>These levels of absorption were predicted for individuals who were not anemic, but had no storage iron.

>Hallberg and Rossander-Hulten (1991) suggested that the bioavailability of iron in the U.S. diet may be somewhat higher than 15 percent: approximately 17 percent.

Basically just eat more iron.

TWENTY FIRST ARTICLE

>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19103647

Two common single nucleotide polymorphisms in the gene encoding beta-carotene 15,15'-monoxygenase alter beta-carotene metabolism in female volunteers.

This is not about vegans.

TWENTY SECOND ARTICLE (Vitamin A) THE LAST ONE

>m.jn.nutrition.org/content/137/11/2346.full

Loss-of-Function Mutation in Carotenoid 15,15′-Monooxygenase Identified in a Patient with Hypercarotenemia and Hypovitaminosis A

>Plant carotenoids are an important dietary source of vitamin A (retinol and its esters) and the sole source of vitamin A for vegetarians.

If you have a particular genetic issue you will have trouble processing plant carotenoids.

Not about vegans.