What is gym etiquette for giving somebody unsolicited advice when you think they are about to wreck themselves?

What is gym etiquette for giving somebody unsolicited advice when you think they are about to wreck themselves?

i'm a novice myself but a couple times now I've seen people that clearly have no clue wtf they are doing but didn't want to be 'that guy' so I just ignored

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/9a7AdCT
t-nation.com/training/strong-case-for-the-rounded-back-deadlift
youtube.com/watch?v=P_OGBGNlKvo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If youre a novice you probably dont know what youre talking about and should leave them alone

I guess a good rule of thumb would be if they are lifting 0.5x what you are and are literally about to kill themselves

Don't be that DYEL trying to dish out advice. You have good intentions but unless your jacked people will just keep doing what they are doing.

>i'm a novice myself

answered your own question there, buddy

I've told a guy he was on the express route to snap city once, neither of us were big but his back was so arched I thought he might be doing a stretch to suck his dick. I was cool about it and just said he might want to try lowering the weight so he could keep good form and he said thanks and he did.
You don't need to be huge to give advice, just don't do it your first day or few months in the gym.

You never give unsolicited advice to anyone ever.

The iron will do the culling.

>be lifting, minding my own business
>DYEL faggot taps my back
>"hey bro, try it like this"
>proceeds to show me terrible, Snap City bound form
>"yeah okay man thanks"

fuck off

Unless you're already on speaking terms, there's really not much reason to intervene. There's a reason you did your research before diving in and they didn't bother.

Only if it's a grill and she has no boyfriend around

I've given people advice on squats (massive back arch, and huge butt wink) a guy was showing his GF how to squat and it was really hard to watch, so when she walked away I went up to him and told him I recommend goblet squats for beginners, it's lower weight and helps you get comfortable in the hole. I saw some guy doing almost sumo stance conventional deadlift and asked him what he was training for. he quickly said he had no idea what he was doing so I helped him out on his form. it's all about your approach and knowledge really.

>doing cable rows
>headphones in
>eyes closed trying not to make time go faster
>feel tap on my shoulder
>think, 'oh its probably just my shirt moving in a wierd way'
>ignore it
>feel it again
>open eyes
>new years fag motioning for me to take my headphones out
>stop rowing expecting to hear the truth of life itself for interrupting my cardio
>"bro make sure you turn off the lights when you leave"
>thanks for the tip I've been going to this gym 3 years

Shit like this really gets my goat. Here's the rule of the gym; Nobody cares, and if you care, don't because nobody wants to hear it.

Who the fuck does that?

They absolutely hate this. My sister and gf and her sister all lift and they have all told me stories about how creepy and condescending they find it. Especially considering they can all push more weight than any "novice" male lifter.

Seems credible and nuanced approach but do you think op is properly equipped to dish being a novice as he is?

Wtf is wrong with you? Obviously he just wanted to let you know you were the last in now that he was leaving so you don't have to scout out the bathrooms with a plausible excuse to lick the womens' toilet seats.
Turn off the lights when you leave, you fucking animal.

Some women are so fucking vapid. I'd welcome any technique advice.

Not your problem. Giving guys advice in the gym is a personal attack on their ego no matter how wrong they are. ESPECIALLY stay away from giving advice to guys who are with their friends or their girl.
>b-but I take advice! Advice is good!
Most don't feel the same.

My technique advice, don't use the gym to creep on girls.

Vapid because some dyel trys to "correct" their form in a lame ass attempt to hit on them?

Its a god damn one room fucking gym. Do you think I don't know I'm the last one? You think that I think there's going to be another person besides me there at 2 AM? Don't you ever interrupt my cardio for that retarded nonsense. Headphones = DO NOT ANNOY

>Its a god damn one room fucking gym
Calm down buddy, how am I gonna know that?

No advice ever given unless asked for. That's the rule as much as some of the shit you see makes you cringe.

What if I read starting strength last month and can now ATG squat 1pl8???

Giving advice to people who haven't asked for it is a sure sign of a novice who thinks they're hot shit.

If you're a novice, then just don't. You have very little standing to go around "correcting" people, and I promise you that 95% of them don't want to fucking hear it and will think you're a massive tool. Sure, maybe you have some wisdom to share, but until your body/lifts reflect this you shouldn't even bother.
If you're having a casual conversation with someone, then sure, maybe you could humbly inject your thoughts on what they could do better, but that's only after you've established some rapport with the person.
Also, there's so much fucking bro science floating around about lifting that unsolicited advice is particularly unwarranted.

When it comes to giving advice, you have to look at the most retarded person in your gym and realise that there doing that because they think it's the right way. That, if you asked their advice, they'd teach you to do it how they're doing it.
If you go and give someone advice, however good it may be, that's the context in which it'll be received.

My first couple weeks into the gym and I was making some retarded mistakes, luckily with light enough weight that I was fine.

I used the rowing machine upstairs in the cardio bunny section and would extend my back backwards til I was practically lying down and arched like fuck. Some trainer came up and motioned to me to keep straighter and I instantly rowed longer and further.

Sometiimes helping noobs is the best thing you can do, sometimes it's a shitty move. Knowing the difference and the correct words/approach is the difference between fucking with someones ego and helping someone make progress.

>give advice to people all the time
>can you spot me
>give them a couple pointers on their form after and they improve
>if i see something awkward i'll usually give some friendly advice
if you're bigger and lift more than them who gives a fuck. But if you're a small and dont lift more then shut up

i just don't give advice because if they hurt them self because they don't know what the fuck there doing that just means one less fucktard at the gym

you don't actually know anything because you read Starting Strength and go on internet forums, OP

don't give advice unless you have 3+ years of practical experience, fuck don't even give advice then

nobody wants to hear that shit

I don't often say anything, but I have asked people why they are doing something. If it turns into a conversation cool if not fuckem,

Pretty much anyone going to the gym for a month should be able to atg 1pl8

"Dude. I haven't see it done like that before what technique are you using" vs "Dude. Thats all wrong it should be done like ..."

Only if you're sure of what you're doing and the guy is doing it terribly

I've had 3 people correct my pendlay row and then proceed to show me bent-over row. It's actually cringe.

I wish people gave me friendly Bob Ross-esque advice while lifting. I am so self conscious about my form.

How do I ask people that look like they know what they are doing for help on lifts?

Whaaaaat? I thought everyone here has autism. Are you saying there's a way to softly investigate a situation so I don't make an embarrassing assumption?

Sometimes you even learn something new. Like you were wrong and there is a totally legitimate reason they are doing it.

Saw a guy doing squats with the bar literally on his neck. I felt like it was my civic duty to stop this guy from killing himself.

I do this very rarely. usually when someone is already asking for advice from someone else, I am sharing a rack or bench with them or something along those lines. but it really depends on what they are doing. if someone half asses an exercise, I would never say something because it's their choice to say squat above parallel. if they do something seriously wrong or look like they try out an exercise they have never done before occasionally I offer help but they have to accept it

sometimes people also come to me to ask me for advice and then I of course help

but generally I just watch myself. I hate people who talk shit about others in the gym no matter how shitty people do it. its their choice. I also dont have the time or energy and focus on my own workouts instead. and I also had people come to me trying to lecture me about things they thought were wrong but I did on purpose for very specific reasons

so yeah if youre a dyel its probably best to just keep your mouth shut

You sound like a massive faggot.

just go up and ask them. most big guys will be flattered and happy to help.

>be me
>first year lifting
>squatting atg 2 plates
>some bearmode dude who was repping 1.5 plate ohp besides me comes up
>asks me if i had a weightlifting coach (he was referring to olympic weightlifting)
>told him i just googled form
>tells me i have great form and im gonna make it
thank you based bearmode gym angel

How much do I need to lift to fuck your sister and her friends?

>be me
>dl 235
>doing seated good mornings with 65
>curlbro comes up and tells me not to do that because I'll snap my spine bro

If someone is in mortal danger, sure. If not , leave it. I had my gyms owner standing behind me while I was doing chins and he motions to take out my headphones when I'm done
>Try using chalk user you'll hurt your hands
>O-ok
Shit like that is just an annoyance and shouldn't be done

Pretty sure that's the joke, friend

Could just get a coach

Congrats user, I thought that was gonna go in a while other direction

>be a new dude at the gym
>some DYEL phaggot comes to chat
>tells me I'm doing everything wrong
>no gains all lies
>try it his way just and try not to cringe
>fuck my shit up because DYEL did what DYEL does
>he asks me "Feelin' fit, buddy?"
>I let out my last words: "yeah, I'm just a lucky guy"

Etiquette is fucking NEVER. If they wreck themselves under your tutelage, your gym is going to kick you out and they might even sue you.

Do your own shit. Don't help people that aren't your friend, at least not in America.

If you really want to help, strike up a short conversation about something, even their exercise. If they ask for help, help. If they don't, walk away.

>Some high-school aged girl on leg press machine.
>Texting on her fucking phone while working out.
>Puts her hands on her legs and pushes them to help move the weight.
>Locks knees on every push.
I think that one gif should be required viewing before anyone gets on the leg press.

post said gif pls

Don't have it saved, but it's basically some chicken taking a first class seat in the bullet train to snap city.

The only time I have ever given unsolicited advice in the gym was when a gang of indians were squatting 20-30kgs. They all had horrid form but one dude had such shit mobility and stance that his friends literally had to stabilize him on the way up to prevent him from falling forward.

I kindly suggested he should stand a bit wider because he's losing balance. He nodded and 'Thank you, I will try that' and proceeded to ignore my advice and continue doing the worst squats I've seen to date.

First and last time I gave unsolicited advice.

You tried man. You tried.

Which Linkin Park song did you have blasting?

imgur.com/9a7AdCT
Probably this one

OH MY GOD!!! IT HURTS TO WATCH!!!!!!!!!!

Is the chair forcing her down? Jesus.

There's such a huge amount of indians going to my gym. The sheer anger of watching them try and lift fuels my deadlifts. 4/5 train in sandals. 3/5 have bent lower back for every exercise. 2/5 wear gloves. 1/50 pull respectable weight with good form.

I swear to god. It's like they took the main points of any squat form guide and did the opposite. Lower back so bent it's advanced beyond any buttwink. Heels coming off the floor at depth(which is the only thing they have going for them). Squat morning like nothing I've ever witnessed. Stance narrow enough sew clothes with. And knees caving in like a girl pissing herself.

I really don't like indians in my gym

Lol at least 3pl8 squat for reps to impress my sis. She does 2pl8 herself.

If they look like they're gonna hurt themselves i will usually say something

Where do you live? I live in Indiana, but we've got no Indians here lol.

fucking sweden

>>Locks knees on every push.

Uhh this is essential with heavy weights. I mean with 300 kgs. You are not repping 300k 10 times without taking a moment to rest

>Snap city
>The post

>leg pressing
>10 reps
>locking out

JUST FUCK MY KNEES UP FAMPAI I DON'T CARE NO MORE

>Alright, we’re just gonna unrack the bar now, whenever you’re ready.
>Make sure to rest it comfortably on your traps, and keep your weight on your heels. We don’t want you feeling bad while you squat, right?
>Alright, now we’re gonna make a happy little controlled descent.
>Go as slow as you want. This is your squat. You can take it at any pace you choose.
>Now, you didn’t quite break parallel, but that’s okay. We don’t make mistakes, we just have happy accidents.

xD

Enjoy your broken twigs. Don't say we didn't warn you.

>ignore everything he says
>snap back
>last words heard before blacking out:
>"we just have happy accidents"

I had this exact same scenario happen to me.
some early highschool looking guy squatting a little more than .5pl8
halfrepping, falling forward, knees caving something awful
went over to him and basically told him to stance a little wider and sit back a little further
then he does one more set of his butchered squats

now when I see people blowing their lifts, I just pray that they snap their shit up quick and never come back

> mfw don't correct people just to see what happens when they hit snap city

I see lots of guys deadlift with rounded backs. I don't say shit.

>locking your knees

DO NOT DO THIS

If you need to pause at the top of a rep do so with a minor bend in a ready like position. Holy fuck

I'm 26 please dont be noobs and give advice

>Dl 235
>seated good mornings
I guarantee you had bad form.

Wait for them to be between sets start with "Hi".

I only do it if it's a total newbie at the gym who's clearly going to hurt himself doing deadlifts.

Usually
>"yo bro can I work in a couple sets with you"
>Always ask them if they can take a video of me DLing for a form check
>then afterwards offer to do the same for them
>the give them form advice once I've done the video so they can compare to me
After that I watch them do a couple of sets help them out. Usually don't even realize that I came over to help out their crap form until afterwards. Super thankful for my help.

Now I have a group of 7-8 gymlet friends who are going to make it.

Even fucked one of their sisters kek

>roid rage

A rounded back is not always bad or even dangerous.

t-nation.com/training/strong-case-for-the-rounded-back-deadlift

they is gunna ruin they spine :( :( :(

I can pretty much guarantee that the 'good' style of roundback deadlifting is not what they're doing.

Utmostkek.jpeg

Yup.

God's work

Good on you, user, you and a couple of others ITT are doing it right. This is something that you really need good social skills to pull off. And like lifting, if you attempt it without good form, you're playing with fire.

Two-hundred and thirty-five (235) kilogrammes (kg) that is.

My form on these are excellent.

AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

>

Ask yourself what would a normal person say

Is there place i could get a gym shirt with this picture?

If I was e-statting, I wouldn't pretend to only have a beginner tier DL.

>Work at my university gym
>Getting trained on first shift after orientation for basic stuff
>Looking around at some of the equipment we have; it's a track and field gym
>See a sweet rope climbing area with warning signs all over
>My first fucking shift, someone didn't read the sign
>Fucking idiot got 2nd degree burns from sliding down the rope

And from before I started
>it's outdoor track season
>the throwers are outside doing hammer and discus that day
>someone goes into the field during a session
>literally beheaded by one of the discusus throwers

There are two times where there is a general agreement among the staff, and some of the lifters on when to give advice:
[1] If the person is pretty much begging with their eyes for someone to save their sorry ass because they know their form is shit, and they are too shy/autistic to ask someone for help.

Now this is the important one
[1] If you are a walking, breathing, asinine liability. Once again, we can tolerate some back rounding on the deadlift. We can handle the dudes bouncing a bit on the bench press, and people doing kipping pullups. If for any reason your lifting will interfere with the ability for others to lift, or will cause an abrupt ability for us to be open, we have to say something. We can't let people's egos, and this "I'm beyond criticism" bullshit go on. People who are as retarded as video related? They don't deserve to get ignored. We actually can't ignore for insurance reasons, too.

youtube.com/watch?v=P_OGBGNlKvo

>Fucking idiot got 2nd degree burns from sliding down the rope

...how the fuck do you make it to university and not learn about friction? Did this kid never once play on a swing, or get a chinese burn, or try and break on a scooter in bare feet, or take a fucking science class at school?

>literally beheaded by one of the discusus throwers
...Surely not LITERALLY literally?!

>Hello, would you like a tip? Try my dick

If and only if you're lifting next to someone say, "hey bro, do you want some advice?" If they say yes, you politely give them form advice. If they say no tell them you just don't wanna see anybody get hurt at the gym.

HAHAHAHA

OH WOW

THATS SO FUNNY

DAE VIKINGS AMIRITE?? LLOOOOLLL

go to any t-shirt store and ask for it to be made

we get it dude you think you lift big

Kek

You never tell anyone anything. Stop being autistic faggots and let people figure it out on their own, if they don't then they're never gonna make it.