/owg/ - Olympic Weightlifting General

/owg/ - Olympic Weightlifting General

A thread for the discussion of the sport of weightlifting and all things related. Keep the insults and shitposting to a minimum.

>dead thread edition

>If you are new to weightlifting please read these first and check the other sources they link to before asking questions:
chinfl.blogspot co.uk/2013/07/how-into-weightlifting.html
reddit.com/r/weightlifting/wiki/faq
dropbox.com/sh/mjgz5nmcikhhvnu/28iq3URWUW

>helpful blog on some technique quirks:
yashathoughts.com

>The information that you are looking for is probably in the above links.
That includes routines, shoes, information on the lifts, etc. Check out the pastebins for literature or the reddit faq for general information.

Included in this youtube playlist are videos related to weightlifting which you may find useful or insightful:
youtube.com/channel/UCl3WCm2GfvLxvH877oJ1xEA/playlists

Commisar's notes on the Meme Method
>pastebin.com/u0jiY8sM

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hHrysja5lYw&t=436s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

rip in pieces Alex Lee

#BehdadSalami

the real vegan gainz

i like bulgarian but i dont recover well

high intensity = gut permeability

what do

Is his cycle vegan? Can I claim vegan if I take his cycle? Wanna bang hippie chicks.

hes going bald though and vegan diet will do that

Cumming Clarence

why does reddit refuse to admit cj cummings has retarded technique?

am i supposed to believe he can clean more with bent wrists and elbows than without?

if you see someone doing reverse curls, should you teach them how to clean or just mind your business and watch them day after day not clean properly?

Testosterone is still vegan afaik
Who gives a fuck if he doesn't have textbook technique? He's hitting world records and is steadily increasing his numbers. Technique is individual, what works for some people doesn't work for everybody.

No, nobody likes people giving them unwarranted advice in the gym. I see people doing retarded shit essentially every day I go, but I'll never give people pointers unless they ask for them.

Wait, what?
He's vegan?

Doing the Bulgarian method effectively means spending a lot of time on recovery. If you can't get enough sleep or eat enough, it's not going to be effective.

youtube.com/watch?v=hHrysja5lYw&t=436s

am i supposed to believe he can clean more with bent wrists and elbows than without?

what if I'm 90% sure they want me to approach them but are afraid i will look down on them

Yeah it's not the roids it's definitely the diet.

Do you think his coach is just a fucking retard or what? I think this is just CJ's anatomy. Again, he's cleaning world records, and you're just some armchair coach dumb ass on Veeky Forums. I don't think I've ever seen CJ miss a clean in a competition, he misses on jerks.

>Do you think his coach is just a fucking retard or what?

well, he is american

> he misses on jerks.

his jerks look like snap fucking city

are there any good soviet style programs out there? i cant find any untranslated

please, no everett

should I be able to sit down with my legs and back straight?
I mean I can do it but I just can't get my lower back straight
pic somewhat related

bump

For getting under the bar quicker in a clean, should I be practicing real light or with a little weight?
Also, Lu is bae.

During the snatch, I bang the barbell so hard against my pelvic bone it hurts like fuck. It was never like this in the beginning, but started happening pretty recently, and mostly when not using straps. can switching over to a wider grip stop the problem? ive had to skip the sntch part of my workout sometimes vause it hurts

I imagine that you're leaning to the front when front squatting, right? If I'm not mistaken, that's lack of mobility in your hips. Knees should be at the same/past distance as your toes with toes pointing slightly to the sides

With the empty bar should be enough. In my gym we practice what we call "metida de clean", which is fully extended with a clean grip, on your toes and straight arms and getting under the bar while racking the bar on your shoulders as fast as possible at the same time. That should help a lot.

You should be practicing snatch pulls. You shouldn't bang the bar but drive it up. The problem is not your grip, is your second pull

Cheers man.

How can I become good like Tian Tao.

His clean is so fucking smooth.

Isn't the WR 264?

Don't tell me that fat fuck is sub 105?

lovchev got popped

God damn it.

Why did he lose his WR but Ilyn didn't lose his? 246 is still the 105 record.

maybe because ilya got popped on his samples from 2012 whereas lovchev got popped from the competition where he set it?

Aslan Kubik and Yasily Polovnikov/Yasha Kahn provide relatively cheap (~$40-50/month) programming and internet coaching that is all based on the Russian system.

keep pulling, never stop pulling

also lats out not lats back

>judging a numbers sport by elegance and beauty

Go watch moneyball.

This is why owg died. You all want wl to be ballet.

Just go get strong ffs

I think that roids should be legalised in oly lifting. It's at the point where you legit have to be on them anyway, so why not just allow it? Thoughts?

I think they should be allowed in all pro sports, just not at junior levels

>why not allow it?

Increased likelihood of abuse, particularly on the part of coaches and national teams pushing drugs on athletes without consideration of the long term health consequences.

I am personally inclined toward a 'pro-drug' position. This is a sport about transcending limitations and attaining a kind of excellence, and the highest reaches are only really accessible by augmenting our hormonal profile. However, there's a way to implement a drug regimen relatively safely, and then there's another way. There's a balance to be found, but I don't know if legalizing drug use, full stop, is the way to find it.

Fair points. Would regulations around the dosages and specific cycles be more reasonable? Perhaps if they were well controlled and standardised they would be less likely to be harmful.

nah, go do powerlifting

pleb anglos can't tell the difference between good technique and butt ugly technique and all they care about is a number on a screen

some should be allowed and regulated, while making sure that youre using them """"""""fairly""""""

That's a possible approach, and I see the appeal. Regardless if there's a regulatory apparatus or not, I think there will be push-back against legalization from certain countries and athletes who want to 'remain clean' and stay competitive and yet will be unable to with drug use becoming broadly and openly acceptable. This might result in the proliferation of weightlifting leagues a la powerlifting, between tested and untested federations. And who decides at the highest levels what's allowable? Will the Olympics still be a 'tested' event? The WWC?

what are your numbers

Nice rebuttal. I'm sure your 60kg snatch is impressing everyone because it is beautiful

You raise a good point in the federation thing. It would be strange to see the IOC allowing open usage, but I feel personally that it would make things more open in general. I dunno, was mostly my musing.

For your information I am able to snatch 73 kg and clean & jerk 94 kg at 78 kg bodyweight so I think I know what I am talking about. I have also been training for almost 2 years, so don't call me a noob either.

Stupid anglos

Holy fuck.

End yourself.

There are teenagers at my gym who lift more than you.

But if drugs are gonna be legal but regulated why allow them in the first place? Either way you won't have a balanced playing field because someone will find a way to circumvent the new regulations.

Which is why I suggested open usage, because people like Ilya are good for the sport. Sure he was taking but so we're others, he just is a genetic freak.

Anyone here been lifting for a long time?

I'm 24 184cms 75 kilos been strength lifting for two years. My best in comp snatch is 55 power and 70 clean and jerk. I power snatched because muh mobility. Been training since December only so still learning technique.

Question is I wonder how far I can realistically still go? If I bulk up to the proper weight of 105 and prioritize strength gains as much as technique can I still reach a high level? My dream is to compete in European championship. I asked my coaches but I'm not really getting any concrete answers. Maybe because they know all hope is lost.

You aren't getting concrete answers because there aren't any.

You've been practicing for what, 3 months? How can anyone possibly predict your performance?

Training 3x a week vs 6x a week, sleeping/eating well, 1 hour sessions vs 2 hours vs 3 hours, quality of coaching, quality of your response to coaching, quality of programming... It's pretty much impossible to say how far you'll get.

Most people would have a hard time just getting to 105kg and still lifting. That's what, 3 years? Can you maintain the dedication to devote 15 to 20 hours a week?

what if I told you that max effort jerks are not going to look like the safest thing in the world? you're a legit retard, the sport isn't about who lifts the prettiest, it's about who lifts the most amount of weight. and who gives a damn if CJ hip cleans? Lu does it too, and they both hit world records on occasion.

How do you guys keep a balanced physique while doing the oly lifts?
Do you add in bench press or what

I don't have a balanced physique, but I'm trying to fix that. I do lots of high volume upper body stuff like bench, presses, side raises, even pec deck flies, cuz you know, pecs for the sex. Nonetheless, I have huge legs, huge traps, and a very shitty looking chest and shoulders. Take your bodybuilding work seriously if you don't wanna end up like me.

I think you got baited

In the same boat as you, feelsbadman
Arms and chest are definitely a weak point for me

So what do you guys do to correct this?

Is it a bad idea to do bodybuilding movements for like 3x10 after a training session?

Of course it's not, it's a great idea.

goddamn that is a disgusting lift

you mean like make an "L" shape with your body sitting on the floor? yes you should be able to do this

Yeah, and it won him a third olympic gold in the greatest weightlifting duel of all time. Who gives a fuck if it was ugly?

dog don't fuck hippies

bang icy health goth hipsters with daddy issues

that man is 3 inches tall

Are you on mobile? It's bigger on a monitor

Yeah
I mean, I can make the L shape but my erectors seem to pop out, like they're in flexion
It doesn't feel tight in my hamstrings, more so in my lower back when I try to straighten it

Sounds baller.

he does more than hip clean

he hip clean wrist curls and does a low-bar jerk splot

usaw is a joke

inb4

> muh numbers!!!11

still looks way better than cj

reminder that there are eastern europeans who hit huge numbers with perfect form

oly lifts produces the most balanced physique...once you hit heavy weights

Terrible idea, stay a disgusting box forever, never look good.

>this entire General

So autistics arguing with each other about who lifts more weight off the floor?

No

cj has bad technique

nothing triggers redditors like pointing this out or mentioning that theres zero (0) reasons to squat jerk

I know this is going to sound retarded but is weightlifting bad for you knees in the long run? Aren't you basically dive bombing a squat every time you do one of the two lifts?

Sorry to say but at your height you are going to be fat, on gear, or both to be competitive. WLing is a short man's game... doesn't mean it can't be a fun hobby though

Im 6ft (182cm)
Is height that much of an issue?

its just not optimal, who gives a shit though, most of the guys in here are genetic dead ends with something wrong with them anyway. If you find it fun do it

Lovechug popped so c&j record is rezadaddy still, Tallahassee set total wr ya dumb brainy smarties

Talking shit. Height is irrelevant unless your 7ft. Lever lengths is much more important. 6 footer with good levers and mobility is better than a manlet with long femurs and short torso and tight muscles

Anyway, there are lifters who are better than everyone here will ever be with so called shit proportions so don't look for excuses. You're shit cos you're shit.

In same height as u weigh 79 and I suck but I've power snatched 95

If I can do it and I'm crap at this and 30 then you will be fine just keep lifting your height is not the reason you only snatch 55kg

>Lever lengths is much more important

how can I tell if I have good lever lengths?
Short femurs / arms? Or what?

I'd probably go with 55%-65% of your 1rm hang clean. Need to have enough weight to feel the action of dropping/pulling under.

after seeing clarence and klokov do snatch stuff. I feel motivated to do it but I feel with my technique I'll get myself killed.

It would be bad if you were doing it without being used to it, but adaptation occurs leading up to the kind of weights you see posted here. There's certainly an argument for risk of injury vs benefit, but pure long term health concerns go out the window when you're trying o get peak performance. They are trying very hard to avoid injuries, for purely utilitarian reasons: if you're injured, you can't train, and will become detrained on top of that. The Golgi apparatus puts a significant brake on what kind of max force a human is capable of applying.

Ok

I'm more worried about my lower back than my knees desu senpai

how does The Golgi apparatus do that

little pain around tailbone when I squeeze my butthole muscles
what do?

Tell your boyfriend to go easier next time.