Careergains

>graduated last year with a biology from top 20 world university
>Top 25% of my class, decent CV
>60k student debt i need to pay off but cannot find full-time employment beyond minimum wage
>pretty much spend my entire day at the gym/studying for LSAT exams to become lawyerfaggot
>half my peers are unemployed, meanwhile have a few friends and relatives getting jobs at goldman sachs/big banks/google/fb/ or going into ivy leagues

who here stalled at careergains? it feels horrible waking up and not doing anything that feels remotely useful.

bump

Ive stalled. Well, desu not really. I got a job at a bank as a loan officer. Quite after a short time. Fucking hated it. Tried finding other jobs, but realized that I didn't want them. Now Ive started investing, using the analytical skills in college. Im at critical point right now. Hopefully, I make it. I don't want to be a wageslave.

what's so bad about being a loan officer? I'm about to graduate with a finance/econ degree and i thought it would be a good first step

quit*

same, here. realised how absurdly OP making money off of stocks are. you can pretty much make more money in a week than you can wasting your time working.

what resources you look at? i've heard the book to buy was The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham.

> top 20 U.S. (not world university)
> 20k student debt because family was poor enough for an okay amount of financial aid
> senior in my last semester
> already signed offer for $70k job in dirt cheap cost of living area

Stalled at relationship gains though because tfw no college gf (ever)

>work at small company
>mostly like what i do and most of my coworkers
>have a chance to take a department head position in the next couple of years
>the owner makes awful choices and seems insistent on running the company into the ground

whats your field mate? most of my engineering friends outside of computer/electrical engineering aren't even finding jobs but i live in canada.

do you also realize how absurdly random it is for a layman like yourself to make decent money on stocks?

I've never read the book but I can guarantee it will mention that you can never beat the market, or some variation of that. That is the first rule of trading, even for professionals. Now apply that rule to yourself, who has no idea how the market works.

>drop out of uni
>parents will kick me out if im unemployed
>get my shitty mcdonalds job back
>working on average 4 hours a week
still have a couple of grand in the bank, but its demoralising and depressing literally dropping out of uni to then work at mcdonalds
oh and im 20

you might like it. But I didn't. You are constantly getting hounded at for performance. Someone wants a small loan, you better sell them on a credit card or your gonna get chewed out. If you have a conscience, get ready to feel bad, because you're gonna have to rip people off to do well. There is no working smart. There is only working hard. The stress level is high. I didn't go to college to be stressed all the fucking time. Fuck that.

I am using machine learning to be able to predict trends in the market.
You can also use candlestick charts. Steve Nison wrote a book about them.
True, but the market is not truly random. Patterns do exist within the market. If you can extract data and interpret information in a superior manner than other traders, you will collect the value that exists between the actual value of the asset and the value the market assigns to it.

do something you find fulfilling unless all you care about is money

most of my friends who got jobs at google and facebook right out of college have quit because they thought it was soul-crushing and not remotely useful

one got a job in NYC doing investment banking, making ridiculous money, and he quit after a year and losing all his hair and hating his job and decided to teach high school kids instead

also if you're only 23 you'll probably be working for the next 40 years or so. don't sweat not being able to find the perfect job right now. you have a long career ahead of you.

I didn't say the market is random, I said the chance of a layman doing well is random (probably err on the side of doing poorly). you have to do a fuckton of digging because the market is mostly efficient and I doubt old mate here knows what he's even looking for. Day trading these days seems like it's all about finding a 'promising' lmaobiotech penny stock and hoping it takes off.

work your way up. Each of us will take our own path. Just try to be successful.

>I didn't say the market is random
I only mentioned this to substantiate my point. But you do have a valid point.

OP do you like science? If so, take a year off and advance your bio degree to a masters level or get another bachelors (in EE or CS) and then go into patent law.

business. consulting specifically

I'm in the U.S. btw

This. Bio degrees are useless without a grad degree, be it for academia or for industry.

If you're capable of using machine learning to make money off of stocks, then you were gonna make money regardless lol

Self taught or grad school?

Is 25 years old too old to go to college?

fuck no

I'll specify that getting an EE degree and then going to a top 50 law school is la guaranteed 180k starting.

I'd say find something that makes you happy rather than money. Fuck the rat race, I live great now and i'm not unhappy with my job, just not those golden dreams I had as a kid.

>make 100k+ in the Sheriff's Department, mostly busting heroin dealers and training for bomb squad
>would rather get paid 60k a year just to be comfortable and live like barnie fife helping old ladies find their missing pies

my bff does this. He says it's tedious but great benefits etc. He argues with companies trying to market artificial intelligence.

I can't believe people with degrees saying they can't get a job non minimum wage. I've never had a minimum wage job in my life. Just go to a staffing agency, they'll get you a job that makes at least 10 in a matter of hours. With that you have a little bit of income to look for another job.

>24
>enrolled in uni since '11
>switched field of study once already
>in 7th semester
>still have to do 2 exams from second semester
>still have to do 3 exams from third semester
>still have to do like 10 or 12 complete courses from 4th and 5th semester
>failed/missed exams again last week
>will have to drag studies out for another 2 years or so at least
>no interest in working in the field I'm studying (IT/CS)
>haven't written a line of code in 2 years
>still live at home
>parents barely question anything
>deleted all video games last week
>go to bed early, get up early
>lift, cook, take care of stuff around the house
>bought an ebook reader and read a lot now
>literally no ambition and no interest in a "good career"
>don't care about wealth or "buying nice things"
>would prefer to work simple mindless manual labor
>too autistic to apply for such a job
>also live in a rural area where everyone knows everyone
>would be literally the only one in my family who's not university educated
>no idea what to do with my life
>everything interests me and nothing does
>considering to just go on welfare and drop out of society

battling to get into medical school right now

if i get in, everything will be fine but the stress of getting in is insane

I do have an undergrad in econometrics. Everything else, I learned myself.

lol you're kidding right? lawyers from below top 10 schools have trouble finding jobs

it's stupid to go to law school unless you're going to a top 10 school just like it's stupid to go to an out of state college unless it's a top 20-30 ranked college

8 years of uni for a fucking bachelors... the "X doesn't interest me" excuse is such a cop out. just fucking put your head down and finish it or drop out. anything in between at this point is just fucking stupid. you are fucking stupid.

I don't find it surprising. A college degree is basically a high school diploma these days. A master's/PhD is the new "college degree."

With so many people going to expensive and horribly ranked private schools, majoring in gender studies, and no concept of networking, it's absolutely no surprise that people are having trouble finding minimum wage jobs.

Going to college doesn't teach you to play your cards right, just like not going to college doesn't mean you don't know how to play your cards.

>competition
you're doing it wrong, utterly wrong
Thiel's "0 to 1 " > Sun Tzu's "Art of War"

thank me later

Being an american in uni must be tough. Freedom doesnt come cheap ;^)

thats true for everything except for lawyers with hard science degrees. There just arent enough out there for firms to hire.

Source: median grades at a top50 law school with multiple 180k offers

I kinda feel bad for you. At the root of it (and don't take this the wrong way), I think your parents must've done a shitty job raising you for you to end up so unmotivated and unambitious.

this is why you don't go to college if you don't have a VAGUE idea of what you want to do

learn a trade or something

Im 22, my dumb ass has realized that im never gonna amount to anything more than the 17$/hr im making if i dont go back to school. I just dont know what to do. I want a career that pays well but i dont want to hate my life.

I'm your age and started in 2011 as well, I dropped out after 2 years of swapping degrees and failing subjects. I went and worked in a fibreglass chemical tank factory for 1.5 years and realised how shit manual labour jobs are unless you're a tradie making bank. Now i'm back doing uni by distance and graduate soon.

You will be much happier if you finish your degree and work a shit IT job making decent money, than you will slaving away as a shit kicker labour job, I promise.

>blaming the parents
Of course, user, of course.

1 factor could be that a lot of these people have never even worked a day in their life. They went straight from highschool to college and daddy paid for it all. Who want s to hire somebody with 0 work experience in any job?

All high school degrees are equal. Not all college degrees are equal.

Someone explain this paying for college thing for us non-americans. Isn't college and uni the same thing?
Dont you people have access to government loans for degrees?

your anecdotal proof doesn't prove shit. c'mon man, aren't lawyers supposed ot have good reasoning skills? there's people from DeVry who are worth millions. does that mean companies are jumping out the gate to hire DeVry grads? no

No it's not true for every field. If you're majoring in tech, engineering, or math (so STEM without the S lmao), then you'll have an easy time finding a job.

No shit sherlock, that's exactly what I'm saying. The guy I was replying to was surprised college grads can't find jobs, so you're repeating what I said.

yes college and uni is the same thing.

do you know what a loan is? what a stupid fucking question

iunno man, I was raised in an old school Asian household as the first born son and my parents were strict as hell with me and I turned out super ambitious. They gave no fucks raising my little brother and now he turned out super unmotivated.

I've never lived with my parents since I moved out for college, but I'm pretty sure my brother will end up living with our parents through his 20's.

few questions
>who here has a job they love and what is it?
>what are the most effective college degrees at the moment? (besides engineering)

I started work at 15 as a stock runner/shelf stacker while still in high school. Went to uni and shifted from shelf stacker to market research interviewer (that was soul destroying at times, but it also destroyed 90% of my social anxiety - "Hey I can have a dozen people call me a worthless cunt and to fuck off in a day, and I'm still standing... Rejection isn't so bad!").

I got a bullshit degree and the job market was stagnant, but took a job as an office bitch stacking paper, fixing PC's, going on coffee runs etc. Worked my way up and around the organisation. I'm now a code monkey getting paid well in a job I find really satisfying in that same organisation.

Find something you're passionate about, and do it regardless of how shit the money is. Or work your fucking ass off doing something you hate, but use the money to fund something else you're passionate about. Fuck getting some flashy job just to impress people or get shit you don't really need. If you're white, able-bodied and educated but your life sucks, you only have yourself to blame. Drop the ego and get your fucking hands dirty.

I wish I had a biology

Technically, a college is where a single thing is taught, e.g. "College of Teachers" or "College of Nursing". A university is a collection of colleges.

College can also just mean a place of learning.

Americans are just dumb and like to butcher the English language.

In Australia the loan is interest free and you dont have to pay back your debt until youve reached a certain earnings threshold.

That's what ive been alluding to. A government issued educational loan isn't your standard loan

Kek im asian too, Chinese specfically. Its amazing how the steretype of asians has changed from beta bitch nerds who studies everyday to ultra rich property grabbing asians with more money than sense. Feels proud to be Chinese

Yeah I'm Chinese too lol

I'm young, fit, and making good money. Once that beta asian stereotype flips, there's no fucking stopping us

But about your brother its quite common from what ive seen in my relatives too. Its always the oldest one that gets the pressure to perform. The younger ones are usually more carefree and enjoy tactile activities like sport. Try to get him into a sport, maybe itll give him something to be motivated for.

is this the gomad race?

>First person in my family to attend high school.
>Failed first year at high school at 17 years old, and quit to work at a factory for the rest of the year.
>Devastated - I cannot do this.
>Started at new high school.
>Finished top 25% in my class.
>Started maritime academy for my bachelors degree.
>Finished top 5% in my class.
>Started working for Maersk.
>CV now makes an impression on everybody, because of Maersk.
>Leave Maersk and become Chief Mate on the worlds largest high speed ferry.
>Had a talk with my boss last week about my ambitions.
>I'm looking to become a Captain at 30 years old on one the the worlds largest high speed feries.

Please hang in there, OP.

>two year tech degree
>Started working at small company
>No debt, make good money for my lifestyle
>Planning on going my own way with my own biz, something I've wanted to do since I turned 18
>Boss came in last month, mentioned that not only am I being groomed to become project manager, but also head of dept. when he retires

Kinda threw a wrench into my plans. Still want to go my own way, but that kinda position and salary increase is making me seriously reconsider.

How much do you enjoy your maritime work because of what it is vs. because you're successful?

>currently at oxford
>will hear about a masters I've applied to here in the next few weeks
>if I get it it's more likely than not I'll get into academia with three degrees from the best university in the world
>if I don't I'll probably find myself in a pit of despair

Crazy you bring this up cause i was gonna do the same thing. Get my bachelors in nautical science but i realized i would be away from home for long periods of time and it just wouldn't work for my relationship. Looks like an awesome job though. Now im looking at getting a bachelors of technology in forensic investigation because it really interests me. I just dont want to be stuck in something i have no interests in just because of the money, i feel thats a sure way to hate your life.

>the best university in the world
What is Caltech

I love it - I get to interact with a tons of people and I've got loads of responsibility.
Being successful comes from enjoying the work I'm doing.

Find something you enjoy, then find a way to make money doing it

During the the education you get 12 months at sea. After graduation I spent almost 2 years (6 weeks away, 6 weeks home) in Malaysia, before settling down in Denmark - Working on a ferry.
I get to get home every evening.

If your relationship is strong enough, it will last while you are abroad. Mine did.

Also, being away 12 months at sea, can be quite nice on your fit-gains :-)

ehh that could do either way. if you start doing something you like for work, you might just end up hating it.

Believe me i know all about it haha, I was completely obsessed with it for a period of time. I do have local ferry that I could potentially be an officer on but for me the appeal of the job is the international aspect.

The international aspect is boring.
You get to be the boss of 12 fat Filipinos and watch pirated chinese-subtitled movies all day.
Working on a ferry is the Bomb.

But what about all the countries you get to visit? I mean if your on a cargo ship you probably wont have anytime at port.

I've visited 36 countries.
Most of them only for a couple of hours, as large cargo ships only stay in port for a day, and you have to work while the ship is in port.

I started out in Maersk Supply Service, working on a large construction vessel. These ships sometimes get weeks in port, leaving you with plenty of time for visiting the locals :-)

Everything seems like a bad choice at this point.
>Start something new - at least another 3 years
>Tell myself to finish my studies for the nth time - didn't work the last few years, why should it this time
>drop out and start a zero qualification needed job - disappoint everyone, including myself.
>start a business - zero experience, zero ideas, zero money

exactly. I decided what to study (the first time) basically during the summer holidays between graduating HS and starting uni.
And I do at least partly blame my parents:
They always had the attitude "you do you, we're not forcing anything on you, just do whatever you want".
And everyone else around me too. Nobody ever doubted that I would go to study at a university. Until a few years ago I considered tradesmen fucking plebs. But those friends who left school at 15 to learn a trade are now 27-28 and bought/built their own house.

I've been in the IT field for one year now. I'm certain I'm going to get fired today when I go to work. That's ok, I hate the job I have, so I'm looking forward to getting a new one.

>brown guy falling behind even as the race is beginning

How did they make this so accurate.

INTP curse
I'm in pretty much the same situation. Currently working my mental/physical health. I plan to work/hustle for few months and then go to South America. Mostly so I can experience more life hoping to stumble upon something I can dedicate myself to.

>he fell for the University jew

>teachers college
>the kids genuinely make me happy
>going to work overseas for a while teaching ESL
>money and job prospects look great
>love to travel and meet new people

>work at a software company
>usually work 10:30-4:45
>every two weeks we give ourselves two week goals
>give myself goals i can do in two to three days
>leave work to run
>lift in the early afternoon when no one else is in the company gym

I don't know how this is a real thing. My next goals are to work from home and switch from a condo to a house so I can lift at home and not waste my time having a 20-30 minute commute and do more interesting things while pretending to work.

Fuck undergrad feels so long. I just want to get my physics degree and make some shekels.

How do I tell my adviser to fuck off and that I'm never going to do research again after undergrad.

>I tell my adviser to fuck off and that I'm never going to do research again after undergrad.
That's how

But it's awkward she wants me to do get my PhD and I just want to work some """Engineering""" job.

Also. I'm a bit of a pussy

If you actually decide to go to lawschool, here's a tip from someone who got out of Uni already employed: go hard for law review, moot courts and mock trials. Nobody gives much of a shit about your grades, but lawfirms looking for new associates will send someone to watch those events. Hell, even if you are absolute shit, you'll probably still get a job even if it's not the best.

>going to my retailcuck wagie job
>work part time for 6 hours 3 days a week but my week consists of days ruined by work or days dreading the upcoming work days
>do a job that some silicon valley 19 year old should've automated by now (they're too busy with the college fuckfest)
>sometimes get seen by people I went to school with and yhey probably laugh at me
>was laughed at by girls younger than me who knew my name ("Hey look it's user") and I didn't even know who they were
>manager realised I've been taking 40 minute breaks instead of 15 and subtly told me to cut it out
>did a degree and I'm smart but lazy
>had lots of graduate interviews but after a lifetime of doing well in academia I can't pass interviews because I'm not a normie
>tonnes of chad and Stacey couples at my workplace, many of them younger than me
>never ever had attention from a girl ever, have had zero social life for years

What's my stake in society? I lift weights but can't motivate myself to stop binge eating or work hard in my free time (on programming stuff). I go to the library and cinema to feel less alone but it never works and I go home feeling conned and sad after seeing hot girls I'll never talk to and people enjoying their youths.

If I got a graduate job then at least I wouldn't be a low status cuck but it would be mind numbing and soul destroying.

Life is unfair. Some posh person who goes to a private school is taught to act in an ubernormie way and skates through a zero work arts degree at university. This is the type of person interviewing me when I go to graduate job interviews in London.

This is humiliating and depressing. Who was the con artist that said that work gives any pride ever?

And pop songs played as muzak, which are the anthems of normies. Images of models and celebrities are shown everywhere. These are the people who post Instagram selfies gloating about "Puttin in da #work" when they had everything handed over to them due to their looks.

Say there are some prospects elsewhere you're looking at. Need to keep your proespects open, you know?

Kek right now is actually the best time in a decade to be graduating in the U.S. How the fuck is Canada doing so bad?

>graduated Master of Materials Science
>Moving to Yokohama as soon as visa application is through
>45k starting salary
And I only have average grades lmao

Fuck I know what you mean about dreading work or dreading work coming up. I used to have a customer service job with like 25 hrs a week maybe 3-4 days a week.

That is hell compared to working a steady 40 hour week.

Planning on learning jap or just gonna wing it.

Also, that is probably less than what you'd make in the states.

T b h our prospects for jobs are pretty good, and if you didn't go to a private school you're debnts probably arent' that bad...

>T b h our prospects for jobs are pretty good
Kek
>private school you're debnts probably arent' that bad...
Kek

Trying to become an Astronaut

>Graduate near top of my class at University in Aerospace Engineering
>Do a shit ton of projects and research with professors
>Somehow score a job as a researcher at NASA
>Left said job to become an Air Force pilot
>Make the cut, pass all the crazy med requirements
>Start flying for Uncle Sugar in 3 months.

and pic related the entire time :(

>if you didn't go to a private school you're debnts probably arent' that bad

Learn 2 read. And also if you didn't major in something ayyyyy lmao worthy you're going to have a job offer coming out

Good luck.
How real is space radiation? Physics teacher told me one journey could reduce life span by a couple of years.
Watch Space Brothers.

>work in IT
>know my department really well and keep the place running
>job interview for higher position
>1 hour skills test after interview
>feel like my skills have degraded since I've been here 5 years

I'm nervous brehs.

Don't worry user there are no feels in space.

I got hired precisely for my Japanese skills.
And you are right, I'd prolly make more in the US, but I am with a good company, good career progression chances, making more than Japanese graduates typically do. If I were in the US, I would have to deal with Americans, with crime, dirt in public places, unfriendly people, race politics, fat people, SJW shit and all that. In Japan people are generally super nice and respectful as long as you work , and you get neither shot nor robbed nor drugged and called a rapist cis white male pig

There are government issued loans that will usually cover public uni. Private uni is more expensive and will likely require private loans unless your parents are loaded.

The gov loans have varying terms, but are usually a better deal than what you'll get elsewhere in terms of interest rates and payback options.

>Got a job doing maintenance for a hotel a few years ago
>Part of a labor union
>Labor union allows me to be a total piece of shit to management with no consequences

It's okay

>Short on manpower
>I volunteer for the hours
>Management tries to bring in a scab to cover the hours
>Tell union rep what's going on
>They force them to send the scab back
>Take vacation time as soon as I know that the scab is gone
>Maintenance manager has to live at the hotel until I get back from vacation

The union dues are super cheap and I get to spend half of my day watching TV.

I dropped out of engineering school at NC State and started a marketing business. NO REGRETS. I only have one semester left so I might go back eventually.

Lazy cunt

Guilty as charge.
The sad part is, despite all that, I'm the hardest working dude there.

what software company?
Also, what do you do there specifically?