/CG/ - Cutting General

Veeky Forums I can't lose any weight on my cut, what the fuck is wrong with me?

I'm 5'7
I weighed 88kg (194lbs) @ 30% bf and started exercising and going on a cut at 2000 calories, When I hit around 84kg (185lbs) @ 24% bf I had to go to 1800 calories to even continue the cut because my weight wouldn't move. Now weigh 80kg (176lbs) @ 20% bf but my cut is stalling and even sometimes going backwards. The last two weeks I've been unable to get below 80kg. I even went back up in weight to 82kg and my bf raised to 24% and keep fluctuating between 82kg and 80kg @ 24% bf for the last two weeks.

My calories are consistent. I am counting everything I consume. I don't drink soda. I'm doing a ton of cardio.

My weekly routine -

Mon - Cardio 1h30m+
Tues - Workout A, Cardio 30m
Wed - Workout B, Cardio 30m
Thurs - Cardio 1h30m+
Fri -Workout A, Cardio 30m
Sat - Workout B, Cardio 30m
Sun - Cardio 1h30m+

(+ just means if I have to hit at least 1 hour and 30 minutes, if I feel I can do more, I do.)

PLEASE HELP.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tF7pmUmyzTk
ketogenic-diet-resource.com/what-causes-heart-disease.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Count better

I measure everything with scales, read the labels and log it all on My Fitness Pal genius.

What are you doing for cardio? Low intensity cardio is not going to lower your weight that much.

Try some HIIT instead.

the 30 minute cardio is HIIT.

The 1 hour 30 minute cardio is usually 2 minutes walking at highest incline, 5 minutes jogging mediem incline, 5 minutes running with no incline and repeat.

medium*

Also, when I work it out via heart rate readings + step counter + time I did cardio for it says I should be burning at least 1000 calories on the 1 hour 30 minute days.

Your calorie assumption is way too high, that sounds like a low intensity 90 minute exercise.

What is your mileage?

Evidently you are still eating too much, or not working hard enough.

>On dnp
>2 days left
>Just ate 1 and two third cheese pizzas
>Got a craving for something sweet
>Literally baked cookies from scratch and ate them too with a big glass of milk

I AM GOING TO BE ON FIRE TONIGHT WOO

>What is your mileage?

Do you mean speed or distance?

walking = 2.5mph highest incline for 2 min
jogging = 4.3mph medium incline for 5 min
running = 6.2mph no incline for 5 min
Repeat for 1 hour and 3 minutes.

Distance is typically 7.5 miles.

>Evidently you are still eating too much, or not working hard enough.

1800 calories is too much? I've been told it's already too little.

So my cardio of HIIT for 30 minutes 4 times a week and other cardio for 1 hour and 30 minutes per week plus strength/hypertrophy routines aren't enough..? I've heard of people cutting on 30 minutes of HIIT 4 times a week ONLY and same height as me eating 2000 - 2300 on a cut.

Forgot to add, during cardio my average heart bpm is 125.

>running = 6.2mph no incline for 5 min
>high intensity interval training
>6.2mph = high intensity

dude that's not high intensity unless maybe you have two x chromosomes but I guess its all relative. back when I was a runner I was able to cover 10 miles in about 70 min depending on the route taken

regardless to properly count calories you need to meticulously write down everything you eat and drink. before you eat and drink you need to weigh/determine volume with a food scale and measuring cup. I guarantee you you are not guessing how many calories you are eating because hardly anyone can

I literally stated that the HIIT (which was 30 minutes 4 times week) wasn't the same as the 1 hour and 30 minute cardio I do 3 times a week.

Also in my original post -
>My calories are consistent. I am counting everything I consume.

In my second post -
>I measure everything with scales, read the labels and log it all on My Fitness Pal genius.

That only averages 5mph, which far from intense. You need to up your mileage, or boost your speed.

My long runs burn less than 1000 calories, and im covering 12+ miles in the same amount of time.

If you really want to lose more weight during cardio, focus on a greater length for your long runs and just keep upping the intensity. It sounds like a plateau, you need to push harder.

What does your HIIT look like.

You are not burning as many calories as you think with your workouts.

Going to go the opposite here and say cut back your training to less days. 4-5 days a week and stick around 2000 calories.

I am 5'7 also. 160lbs and 13% BF. Cutting is going rather easy and I do 4 days a week of weights with one evening HiiT class.

I then run along side it an upper lower routine.

Just to add to this. How long have you been training?

well then you are not burning nearly as many calories as you think. like said exercise burns way fewer calories than people think. additionally everyone's metabolism is different which is part of the reason why any calorie readout on any machine/app should be taken with several grains of salt. though honestly I wouldn't attempt to lose fat while building muscle. I'd lose weight first then start working out, but I wouldn't know because I've been lean my whole life

do you run for fun or are you on a team? I hate running but being on a cross country/track team in high school and college was a great experience

How would I cut any weight eating more food and doing less cardio if I'm currently not losing anything at all?

My HIIT is a setting on my treadmill which is 30 seconds at 10mph followed by 1 minute at 4mph for 15 minutes then 30 seconds at 12mph followed by 30 seconds at 4mph for 15 minutes = 30 minutes.

Also I added a picture of my 1 hour 30 minute cardio on my lowest calorie burnt day.

I ran CC during high school, great way to get in shape for ski season.

Now I run for fun, I live in a mountain state so I have the option to do trail running most of the year. Nothing better than zipping past hikers while they suck wind at higher elevations.

Fuck its a great hobby.

Fucking hell I forgot the picture.

It's 110 degrees today.

You ever consider you may be gaining muscle?

Have you measured by other means?

see
>exercise burns way fewer calories than people think. additionally everyone's metabolism is different which is part of the reason why any calorie readout on any machine/app should be taken with several grains of salt.

So something that measures my heart rate and counts my steps and factors in my level of weight, height, level of activity is apparently severely wrong?

In my original post I stated that yes, I did lose body fat for a while but in the same time I have stalled in weight loss, my body fat has gone up.

It can be, yes. There's a lot of variables that go into this sort of thing and a machine is unlikely to be able to measure all of them.

Yeah, but all of the data I just mentioned is collected and interpreted by the same device.

If you lost 8 kg to start with then you must have been doing something right

I meant there's a ton of variables beyond just the ones you're listing. Two people doing the same thing can have radically different caloric expenditures.

I already do so much cardio already that my left foot actually ends up feeling like I have a tennis ball under the ball of my foot for the rest of the day.

it doesn't know fuck all about the particulars of your metabolism. things like height and weight have fuck all to do with metabolism. everyone is different so the machine/app just guesses based on averages. these averages may not even be relevant depending on the sample size and diversity of the sample

based on I'd say stop exercising and just focus on losing weight. exercising will fuck with your tdee or whatever the acronym is for how many calories you burn per day on average both because exercising uses energy and because lean body mass takes more energy to maintain than flab. also exercising increases appetite which makes it harder to eat less. quitting exercise would suck, but gains come back really fast

I wear the device 24/7 so it tracks literally everything I do and all my details, daily calories (linked via MFP) etc are factored in. It adjusts my expenditure based on my over a year worth of heart rate data and how often I move, how many steps I take, my weight readings, etc.

I'm not holding on to the handle bar on a treadmill or manually entering in data to an app and thinking it's able to track my movement 24/7, I'm wearing the device 24/7.

I thought I heard that the higher muscle mass you have the easier it is for your body to metabolize/burn fat?

you still don't understand. metabolism is assimilating matter that is not yourself and rearranging it so that it becomes part of yourself. this requires energy. some people have really efficient metabolisms and don't need as much energy to maintain themselves as others. no fitness tracker takes into account how your metabolism in particular works. for that to happen you would actually need a team of scientists

muscle takes more energy to maintain but nothing I know suggests that having lots of muscle increases efficiency or amount(?) of fatty acid metabolism. the best way to lose fat is to determine how many calories you eat per day on average while your weight is stable and then eat 50-100 less than that. this will put you at a caloric deficit, forcing you to tap into fat reserves without the feelings of lethargy that a fad diet with a severe caloric deficit of 100s of calories would bring

It also can't directly determine calorie expenditure on movement. Technique actually matters a lot on this - 'efficient' runnners simply don't burn the same amount of energy for a given pace than someone less efficient and that's true across all cardio.

So i went ahead and read some posts on r/keto (please don't annihilate me) and i just have one question.

Is there an actual benefit in doing keto other than appetite loss? this seems to be why a lot of people do keto, but for me i think it will be easier to reach my protein goal (120g, so like 600 calories from protein) and fill the remaining 600 with a cup of rice, or maybe some oats, beans, etc for a 1200 calorie diet rather than eating cheese and pork

If there's any proof from a decent source that keto actually somehow makes you burn more fat then i guess i'll do it but i won't give up on my healthy carbs just for the appetite loss

Alright, sure. I'm sick of arguing about it and I just want help because I want to lose this weight.

What do you recommend I should do exactly? I appreciate your help I'm just genuinely frustrated with my situation and the amount of effort I feel I've put in so far to get nothing back for the last 2 weeks (when previously before that I was losing weight very quickly).

If you have pre-diabetes or similar, controlled keto usage is effective at unfucking your bodies use of energy. That's about it.

If you have a bigger TDEE is it more feasible to cut at a higher deficit? Like if I burn 3800 calories one day would cutting 800 calories feel the same as cutting 500 on a 2800 TDEE?

Before you ask I go to the gym first thing in the morning and then walk to work where I'm running around on my feet the entire time (about 15miles throughout the whole day).

fuck, i actually am pre diabetic (mom genes) this is the reason why i started losing weight, i guess if it's good for that i might as well give it a shot

>dont lose Wright at 1800 calories
>try 2000 calories

Veeky Forums ladies and gentleman.

Try to cut on 1500 calories for a week and se what happens.

then you're not working hard enough, that sounds like very low intensity

see and stop exercising and focus slowly on fat loss. again idk because slim all my life, but I think it would be simpler to focus of fat loss first and then get strong after you get your body fat where you want it

Sounds like your running on a treadmill.

I mean 'm just idiot but i notice the difference between treadmill cardio, and outside cardio is really quite something. Try running outside, and running harder.

My heart rate goes up to 159, 125 is just the average.

If you're 50, then thats about right.

I am doing less than OP and losing more weight at 2000-2100 calories mong.

So my advice stands.

>What is metabolism.

I'm not, but the entire reason I weigh as much as I do is because I went through depression for a couple of years and gained a ton of weight. I went from 60kg (132lbs) @ 8-10% bf to 88kg (194lbs) @ 30% bf in 2 years. Over half of that was gained in 1 year though.

So I was completely sedentary for about 2 years. Averaging only like, 5000 steps a day and never leaving the house.

well good on you for coming out of depression. however based on and it seems you don't realize running is fucking hard. at some point during your run you will reach a point where breathing sucks and your chest hurts because your heart has been beating so hard for so long. that's what it felt like for me at least. you have to push through that part and continue your run. every runner, elite or beginner, has to go through it. experienced runners are just used to it and expect it. also run outside like said because the treadmill is way easier

The things like my breathing and heart I am able to push through, the limiting factor in pushing any harder is my feet begin to swell and my left foot starts to feel like I am walking on a tennis ball under the ball of my foot.

didn't really read too closely OP but too high of a cut will spike your cortisol levels, cause you retain water, and sometimes catabolise muscle for fuel.

Drastic cuts aren't always the way to go, and being that weight and using 2k cals is a drastic cut. For the record, I'm around 82kg, 14% bf and I do a soft cut at 2700 calories with 3000 maintenance on a lifting day

OP here and if I eat 2200 I'm at maintenance anything over that and I'm gaining rapidly.

What do your meals look like?
If you don't cook all your meals there's a strong chance you may not be logging calories correctly.
If you are sure that's not it I would almost lean towards going to a doctor and seeing if you have hypothyroidism

I cook all my meals.

Chicken breast with brown basmati rice and pan seared broccoli and 15ml of Franks hot sauce is something I typically have for lunch for example.

2 eggs, 2 pieces of toasted bread and 2 lean ground beef patties, which I roll myself into 100gram balls and squash flat into a patty to cook (only 4.9g of fat per patty) is another meal I sometimes have.

I cook everything fresh and I weigh it all out.

>tfw eating ~2500 cal 6 days a week with a ~4500 cal "refeed" every Friday and already down 4kg in 4 weeks
not even that fat (currently 15% bf) just tall and active

Want some advice?
Stop eating carbs with protein
replace the carb amount with healthy fats.
This will promote GH and testosterone along with it.
Protein and carbs spike your insulin. Insulin spikes due to sugar in your body, you WONT burn fat when sugar is present. Science 101

no thx

Dont expect to lose any fat then.
Thats why you dont lose weight or you lose water weight and then plateau

keto is a meme

Fuck i got trolled by 15 year olds

if you ever get really desperate look up the potato hack

what's your experience with DNP been like? does it cripple you when its working its magic?

Try fasted HIIT cardio (likely in the mornings). Or if you're absolutely certain you've been on point with your diet without fluctuation, it might be time for a re-feed day where you consume a much higher calorie intake (Like double the calories at least) and then return to your previous cutting calories. However, I like to take the day after a refeed day off from the gym and water fast all day, until sundown. This resets my metabolism and prepares my body for optimal nutrient reception

Yh if your not loosing weight eat more...

Op it's not magic. If 2000 or whatever is maintaining then drop it by 100-300 and try again. Also measure your body with tape measure, scales aren't everything. Also there are natural fluctuations, you won't experience perfect linear decrease. If it's only 2 weeks probably just chill, stress raises cortisol which as pointed out isn't great for your current goals.

Took you what 2 years or something to gain it all, you won't drop it all in 3 months.

Tape measure, scales, mirror to get better measurable results, strength testing (ie you managed 8 instead of 6 reps or whatever) to gauge if it's muscle gain causing scales to go up and be patient taking moving average results rather than flipping shit when you have 2 weeks that aren't perfect. And like others say, calculation of tdee/calories burned during exercise are a guess, not perfect, if you clearly have hit a wall adjust your intake down by 200ish calories and maintain exercise.

Also if you're desperate start replacing some of your rice carbs with veg carbs. Less calorie dense but will help with feeling full.

Finally if you continue with no results with this data see a doctor, maybe something hormonal is off due to rapid changes in bf%, we're just anons guessing based on what you've said

It's basically supposed to "restart" your metabolism.

But if I'm eating 1800 calories right now and if I dropped it by 100-300 calories to 1500 calories for example, that would be too little wouldn't it? People already say 1800 isn't enough food to be eating.

It's hard since I see people doing less per week and eating more than I do at the same height and around the same weight yet they're dropping weight like crazy.

I really appreciate you trying to help.

OP of this thread is either: Retarded, trolling or a woman.

Are you going to actually make evidence based criticisms to which I can improve or just sit back and throw baseless insults?

I said its science and you said no thanks?

is 5/3/1 Boring But Big an acceptable program for cutting/recomp?

Link proof

youtube.com/watch?v=tF7pmUmyzTk

ketogenic-diet-resource.com/what-causes-heart-disease.html just one of the studies linked in the videos desciption.

1200 cal
High protein and fat. >50g carbs.
Complex carbs and 16 hour fasting.
Don't be a weeny.

Former fatty, 230lb down to 165lbs of Brazilian jiu jiitsu goddess.

Dude with respect you're being pretty pig headed here. You have told us 2000 isn't causing you to drop weight, the way to rectify this is do more exercise or eat less. Simple as that. There's some variables of course but if 2k isn't working who the fuck cares about some person telling you wah wah 1800 is too little. If you want to drop weight and you know 2k doesn't work, eat less. Like I said tape measure, scales and photos/mirror along with gauging strength will help identify if muscle gain is a factor to cause the scales to not change. Failing all that it's simply you are fucking up your counting somewhere or you have some crazy hormonal/internal thing going on which needs actual medical advice not anons.

You've been given several viable options in this thread from eating less, doing more/harder exercise, seeing a doctor or changing diet macros in case your body doesn't handle something in particular yet you've essentially ignored or rebutted it all. If what you're doing isn't working, change something because doing the same thing won't get you different results. Your call mate. Glad you got out of depression. Gl with the weight loss

user

LOWER YOUR CARDIO AND LOWER YOUR CALORIES

It's much easier to eat less dude, for real. Stop killing yourself with cardio you will burn out.

Try cutting on 1500, and do less cardio.

Well?

>You have told us 2000 isn't causing you to drop weight,

No, I said 1800 calories.

It's not just some person telling me 1800 is too little, it's 90% of fitness people telling me 1800 is too little.

I was genuine when i said I appreciated your response and help at first but now it feels like you're just attacking me for raising my concerns or having further questions based on what I've previously learned or been told.

If I were eating 1200 calories and cut weight, as soon as I even eat 1800 - 2000 calories I'd start gaining it all back because my metabolism would be fucked up, would it not? This is the kind of thing shitty coaches are criticized for typically coaches who work with women, get them to eat basically nothing to drop weight then pat them-self on the back and when they go back to eating maintenance they gain it all back.

Need some help with self restraint brehs

Dominos pan pizza is my heroin
I'll go months without getting one and then one time friends will be over and want pizza, and I'll hesitantly have a couple slices

Before I know it I haven't had a dinner besides pizza for a fucking month and I have to rebuild my bank account. Does anyone have experience with this? I need something to help stop me from eating like a fucking pig when it comes to pizza. My breakfast is solid, lunch is usually light too but then dinner comes around and that phone number is ingrained in my memory now

I'm an inch taller than you OP and 10 lbs lighter and 1800 calories is about what I can eat to lose .5 lbs a week. You need to eat less because if you're exercising that much and not losing you are counting wrong so counter it by making your goal less so you actually eat 1800 instead of the 2k you probably are.

Or just weigh your food better. Link your MFP diary if you are sure your logging is perfect.

Either way, exercise or no 1800 is probably too high especially if you eat back any of your exercise calories.

.t manlet

I guess that means no post workout meal for me today

Whatever mate, 2000,1800... I'm not 're reading the entire fucking thread to check exactly what your intake is, you get my point.

Lose weight your tdee goes down so another 5kg lost (or whatever fucking number is your goal, it's an example) and your maintenance will be less so 1800 maintenance becomes 1600 maintenance or some shit. Whatever the ficking numbers. And yes if you go back to eating too much indeed you gain it all back, because when you're fucking70kg you don't need to eat like you did at 88kg! I'm not suggesting crash diets I'm suggesting long term changes of your habits, in order to get to 70kg you can't eat like you're 80kg or you won't change weight! You got fat by over eating, now return to healthy by under eating. Once your weight is healthy what is currently under eating becomes maintenance. It isn't easy, it won't be a perfect change week in week out but if you keep at it it'll happen. You don't break physics man, calories in calories out, simple as that. Correcting total calories is easier with better food choices as they are less dense than shit choices, which made you balloon up to begin with.

Anyway circular arguments and I'm over it.

The only thing that "stands" is my dick before I ram it up your asshole, faggot.

Are you wife material?

when was the last time you updated your weight and rate of loss in MFP? If you don't do that frequently you should because sometimes the app needs a kick in the dick to update your TDEE.

Also if you have your fitbit synced make sure you are set to sedentary.

Here is a screenshot of a typical day of meals.

I don't eat fish or nuts.

>2kg of pork shoulder
>200 calories 19g protein per 100grams RAW
>slow cook it for 5 hours for some awesome pulled pork
>like, literally 300-400ml+ of pure fat/juices are floating and eliminated from the final product.

Clearly this entire portion isn't 4000 calories anymore as so much fat has been eliminated, unfortunately I can't really calculate the true calorie count.

shit sucks man.

if only I were a biochemist.

Did you weigh the rice pre cooking for a serving? Are all of those weighed to exact serving size (like weetbix) or are you assuming 2 is always equal to 60g? I'm not seeing many uneven numbers which is how a normal log would be. Your weetbix could be 1.2 servings by weight, rice could be much higher.

No, it's cooked weight for rice.

I weigh out the weetbix and typically they are what they should be for 4 "biscuits", the most it's ever been off is by 3 grams which I change when it is.

It's not uneven because I'm autistic with the weights and spend 5 minutes taking away and putting back bits and pieces to make it perfect.
I even use a proper measuring spoon for the sauce.

Boxes are always uncooked weight. Where are you getting the cooked weight values? I make rice daily and my 48g serving can vary anywhere from 120g to 150g cooked depending on heat cooked at.

I'm not trying to say you aren't capable of logging, but if 1800 is your true TDEE to lose weight at "sedentary" then you have to accept you are miscalculating somewhere as you should be losing if your logging is 100% and you are exercising that many hours. Either it's your food or your exercise, or your TDEE is miscalculated. What is your app set to for rate of loss, current weight, and activity level?

you FUCKING idiot it doesn't matter what the cooked weight of rice is because ITS ALL JUST FUCKING WATER.

50grams of uncooked rice(175 calories) will still be 175 calories whether you dump 3x it's volume in water (~200grams cooked) or 1x it's volume in water (~100grams cooked).

As long as he measured it uncooked then the result will always be accurate.

that's my point retard, he weighs it cooked.

At 5'8 and these settings MFP gives me 1870 calories. I cannot imagine you are getting around that much to lose more than .5 lb a week at an inch shorter.

MFP recommendations are known to be incorrect by the way

I know, which is why I'm trying to start at what the OP currently has set because if they are logging properly their recommended TDEE is wrong. For me MFP has been fine at sedentary, sometimes the TDEE isn't actually enough and I generally lose faster when I'm cutting. OP is putting in something wonky to get 1800 calories at their stats.

I'm Currently trying a keto diet with Macros set at 60F 35P 5C and a caloric intake of 2000cals. I weigh 235 and i'm 6'3.

Are cheat days even possible on this diet or will it fuck everything up? So far i'm going strong two weeks in but I would like to indulge once in a blue moon.

I chose 1800 based on my maintenance level, I'm not using what MFP suggests.