Front Squats:

I think they're actually pretty based. Where does all the hate come from?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aDe0fHym7Zw
youtube.com/watch?v=trnmz-XUqxM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>People who can't highbar squat with good form
>People who lowbar squat to get the highest possible number even though it's the same as deadlift without training grip and smaller range of motion

>Where does all the hate come from?

People hate front squats?

I've never seen this, I've only seen people mock the lift when someone claims that they are so significantly superior to standard squats, or that they are cooler because they are related to oly lifts, or when its crossfitters using the lift because it makes them look cool and contrarian.

Front squats are top tier but the people who shill them tend to be cancer.

The hate is because the vast majority of fuccbois who front squat do it because its a way to avoid doing back squats.

They are a good ASSISTANCE exercise to the back squat. Not a replacement.

Front squats are great. People just tend to give up on them because the amount of flexibility and upper back strength seems to high. But straps are legit to use to get rack position. And, you can make linear progress on them if you use rack holds, quarter squats, or chains to overload your upperback at the end of your main set. Front squats give you an upper back like a buffalo.

I never do backsquats, come at me. I isolate hamstrings and do leg press also tho

I do 105kgx4 on front squats rn, when Will i have Buffalo back

how should I do rackholds at the end of my worksets?
how many and for how long? with what weight?

Do whatever you want.
As long as you admit its because you're too much of a vag to do back squats then thats fine.

Well i used to get massive migraines from back squats, was probably not breathing right tho. But i replaced Them and never looked back.
Also people mire front squats way harder if u squat respectable weight

>Also people mire front squats way harder if u squat respectable weight

No they don't.
They mire a proper high bar back squat more than front of lolbar.

Nope, i even get regular mires when only front squatting 2pl8. But then again my gym is very casual

can't get my wrists in the right position, and when I do it like in OPs pic it doesn't feel right.

Have you checked? Maybe you're dismorphic?
Lean your upper back against a wall, does your bony spine touch the wall? If not, your thoracic erectors are so thick you're making it.
If not, do some heavy as fuck rack holds and quarter squats at the end of some workouts. My upperback really started to explode at about 120kg for reps, but doing rackholds at 120% of that really built thickness.

i cant do front squats very well because my hips hurt and i cant get all the way down

i can only get deep with heavy weight or really trying

No one gives a shit about your bar position on your back squat, you fucking autist. I can assure you lmao

I do 5x10sec at 120-130% of 1RM after my regular front squat. I wouldn't go higher because you will tend to arch your low back to keep the weight racked. This will only help with certain aspects of back strength in the front squat as upper back strength is joint angle dependent, so its really best to have chains. A huge part of frontsquating is being comfortable with the weight on your chest girdle and rack holds help you adapt to ever increasing weights.

Use a narrow stance

Right grip is hard for MANY people and that cross arm grip in your pic is awful.

i got tiny girl hands so front squats dont feel nice

>They are a good ASSISTANCE exercise to the back squat. Not a replacement.c

This.

I actually like them much better. For some reason I'm completely unable to keep my balance when doing back squats. I might have weird proportions though.

What's wrong with that grip? Seems to be as common as the other.

>Seems to be as common as the other.

As long as it's the 1plate promo pics, yes, as common. Got it?

a difference in necessity.
for oly, it's necessary to be able to achieve and maintain the rack position in fsquat. so the cross arm ends up being counterproductive, because it doesn't translate to what they have to bear in rack during cleans.

For someone doing fsquats strictly as a variation of the squat for back and leg strength, but not for cleans, then the cross arm rack can be useful if the front rack is hard to achieve or maintain over a set.

however, it's pretty dumb to depend on the cross arm rack, as it doesn't help to develop mobility. if a person were intending on using fsquats frequently in their training, it would make more sense to constantly be working on achieving and maintaining the standard front rack than crutching on the cross arm rack

What on earth is a rack hold

you can lift more weight with decline bench press. Flat bench press is assistance. Is that what you mean by assistance?

I actually hurt my shoulder doing Front Squats. It was just 95lbs and I was trying to get the form down but the bar kept rolling off my right shoulder. I only attempted to do front squats for 3 workout days before I decided not to continue but now my shoulder hurts. Took about 3 weeks off from doing any kind of benching and shoulder exercises. The past two workouts for chest and shoulders went fine until yesterday. I was going some hammer curls and I re-aggravated it. Fuck me

I'm only starting out but I do cross arms for 10 reps w/ 110 lbs and honestly the bar feels pretty secure.(maybe I just have weird ass shoulders though). Will I run into any problems if I keep going?

Probably not. For me I guess I am just not flexible enough for front squats or something is asymmetrical.

i prefer to do them to regular behind the neck squats, actually. But i have EXTREMELY long forearms so it makes it difficult.
Does anyone have ANY ADVICE for my mobility in forearms on front squats?

What's the official power ranking on squat variations? Asking cause I'd like to try something different from back squats but basically as effective.

My preferred leg exercise is better than yours and the only reason you dont do my preferred leg exercise is because you are a pussy fuccboi.

Friends I'm tryna start front squats tonight because my hips always start to grind when i go heavy with back squats and I can never go low enough to activate my glutes.
Is the crossed-arm grip or the bent-back-hands grip better? Is there a significant difference?

Apparently most people seem to think clean grip is slightly better but that could just be because it's harder to master and they want to fuck with you.

Bent back hands grip might hurt your wrist a little if you don't have a very good mobility. Try both and see what goes better for you

Nope.

If you avoid back squats and don't admit its because you aren't strong willed enough to do them, you are a fuccboi. Plain and simple.

It's more stable. That's about the only reason.

if you aren't planning on doing olympic weightlifting you can just use straps like in this video

youtube.com/watch?v=aDe0fHym7Zw

i do it this way if i'm doing more than 3 reps

Rack pull above the knee. But don't listen to that guy, 120 is literally babbyweight on that exercise, you need upwards of 650+ lbs in order to see gains unless you're a skeleton

>tfw not comfortable holding bar with crossed arms but not enough wrist mobility

i've never done the cross-armed grip, so take this with a grain of salt, but i'd say that the bar position is more important than the grip. you shouldn't be using your hands to support the weight anyway. sometimes i'll even do my warmup sets with my hands held straight out like superman. the key thing is to arch your upper back/stick your chest out so that the bar rests deep in your shoulders.

Not him but how the fuck does the back squat require more willpower than any other lift? I swear if I didn't know better I'd say you're bashing front squats because you can't do them t b h.

Well it's more stable if you've got enough wrist mobility and then some. If you're not utterly at ease with the clean grip I think it's much safer to go crossed arms.

>something different from back squats but basically as effective
doesn't exist really.
front squats are still a great accessory for extra work on the upper back and quads.

>tfw not comfortable
Are you seriously complaining about comfort? How dyel are you? Haha

You're a faggot

>me put bar on my traps and squat
>me big strong man all ladies like
>other man puts bar on shoulders
>he small weak man ladies dont like

Fuccboi scaredy cat detected.
Talk all the shit you want if it makes you feel better about not having the balls to squat.

Assuming this thread is now leg training general.

Day A:highbar squats
Calves

Day C:deadlifts

Day D: front squats

Is this enough for legs without any isolations?

>tfw can't front squat more than 40 kg when back squat is 110

my wrists don't go further back than like 15 degrees, I have a hard time keeping thorassic extension for the full amount of reps, and it's hard to breathe big with a bar on your chest

what am I doing wrong and how do I improve this lift because I really want to

cmon bro. Didnt you hear me? My preferred leg exercise is SUPERIOR to yours just like how im SUPERIOR to you for doing it. If you dont do my preferred exercises then you are just a weak willed fuccboi. Why? Because fuck you thats why.
Yeah bro you tell him. If the bar isnt on your back then its not a squat. Front "squats" should just be called front pull ups or some other dumb shit.

>Yeah bro you tell him. If the bar isnt on your back then its not a squat. Front "squats" should just be called front pull ups or some other dumb shit.

Keep moving those goalposts, fuccboi.

You're the pussy ass fuccboi who doesnt even put a bar on his back. LMAO @ your life
Next you're gonna say some stupid shit like replacing bench with dumbells or weighted dips

Point. Goalposts.
. |--|

F U C C B O I
also pic related is another fuccboi thing I see a lot

might want some rdl's/hip thrusts for more ham/glute work. seems like you're getting plenty of quads (assuming good squat form).

I'm unironically in the exact opposite situation (well back squat is 50kg and front is 80kg but still). Threads like these make me question whether I'm actually human. I mean back squats are awkward and uncomfortable as fuck. Idk to me front squats feel 10x better. I feel like the bar is more secure too. Anyone in the same situation?

Fuck that gay bro.
Can you believe people actually focus on lifts OTHER than squat bench and deadlift? Its fucking crazy man. Almost as if the entire fitness community doesnt revolve around powerlifting.

You are suffering from a case of acute fuccboiosis.

>I can't front squat because wrists are sore from jacking off all day to Rippetoad
ftfy

Nah its just fuccbois who front squat in place of back squats but wont admit its because back squats are hard.

Might aswell leg press and be done with it.

Are you autism? How is a backsquat any more challenging than a front squat? Assuming you are using the correct weight your muscles should be getting stimulated just as much, its just the focus will be on other muscles.

have you tried messing with the back squat bar position? I had a friend who said his back squats hurt like shit but he was putting it (high bar) on his neck and not on his traps

Your friend was just a foccboi with no will power. He was never gonna make it to begin with, like everyone else that avoids backsquats.

do the clean grip if you can. youre able to keep your elbows higher which makes for a more stable position on your front delt. also the higher you can keep your elbows the better off you are, once the elbows start dropping youre more likely to lean forward in the hole and fail the lift and you can keep the elbows higher this way vs using a cross-arm grip.

>deadlift
>lowbar squat
>Same range of motion
Yeah maybe if you're 4'3"

he didn't avoid back squats, he did them anyway, just with the bar on his neck because he's a fucking moron

ps: ironic shitposting is still shitposting

thanks mate

But heavy front squats are way more painful than back squats, more people avoid front squats because they're hard, I don't imagine it happening the other way around.

>People who lowbar squat to get the highest possible number even though it's the same as deadlift without training grip and smaller range of motion

Nice bait retard.

I know you guys are trolling or you'd be retarded. Front squats can absolutely be used as a replacement for back squats.

>People who can't highbar squat with good form

Obvious bait but there's some truth to this. I do both FS and LB because high bar triggers my spine.

Same, I only actually front squat because back squats just feel bad for me and I wasted too much time trying to fix it.

you'll never engage the quad in front as much as you can in back because it's limited by your ability to achieve thorassic extension

front is an accessory to back

fuckin cross grip noob

>Where does all the hate come from?
Maybe the fact that front squatting is for pussies who can't into cleans?

>how the fuck does the back squat require more willpower than any other lift
When you lift daddy weight you'll understand the fear of being crushed under it as opposed to a front squat or floor pull which can simply be dumped. Even a bad back bail can leave you paralyzed.

kek might as well go bungee jumping if you like being scared so much.
Ill safely do my front squats and make massive gains.You can go ahead and fantasize about being a big tough guy because you put the bar on your back.

How do you retards figure front squats are easier? They're objectively more difficult since you cannot lift as much weight with them.

It depends on the proportions of the squatter, if you have really long femurs the leverage for back squatting can be poor to the point where going parallel puts more stress on your back than it does the quad/glutes.

>tfw when I have to sometimes use the girl barbell when OHPing because I can get an actual grip on it.

youtube.com/watch?v=trnmz-XUqxM

How to front squat properly

thanks for this post brah, helpin me make it

Is this a thing? front squats are 100x worse than back squads for me.

The hate comes from there being a little bit of a learning curve to picking them up. I thought they were a massive ball ache for a long time, and I'm still iffy on my form on them, though I understand the point of them and appreciate them.

>Not using back squats to assist your front squats

>kek might as well go bungee jumping if you like being scared so much.
You fucking what?
>Ill safely do my front squats and make massive gains.You can go ahead and fantasize about being a big tough guy because you put the bar on your back.
You will never squat as much with a front squat as a back squat. You might as well talk about how jacked your going to get doing dumbbell curls while you're at it.

retarded af /10

I think he's talking about when you unrack the bar like you would if you were going to front squat it, but you load more than your 1RM and just hold it there

That's it. I'm sick of all this "high-bar squat" bullshit that's going on in Veeky Forums. Low-bar squats deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that.

I should know what I'm talking about. I myself learned how to perform genuine low-bar squats at Wichita Falls Athletic Club with Mark Rippetoe (the world's best strength coach) and have been practicing them for almost 2 years now. I can even literally touch my ass to the ground with my low-bar squats.

Starting Strength coaches spend years working on a single lifter and have them squat with an empty bar up to a million times to produce the finest squat form known to mankind.

Low-bar squatters can squat thrice as much as high-bar squatters and thrice as powerful for that matter too. Anything a high-bar squatter can squat, a low-bar squatter can squat better. I'm pretty sure a low-bar squatter could easily break any high-bar squatter's personal record without a warm-up.

Ever wonder why high-bar squatters never bother with low bar-squats? That's right, they are too scared to squat to the depth a low-bar squatter needs in order to generate hip drive and minimize patellar shear. Even in the IPL today, high-bar squatters frequently ask for advice from the low-bar squatters because their hamstring development and iron will is feared and respected.

kek, is this pasta?

You will never squat as much as you leg press, fuccboi. Might as well go take cock up your ass while bragging about your lateral raises.

I do front squats, am at 185lbs with cross arm and not even putting tons of pressure holding the bar and have no problem.

Once you learn correct form and to keep your elbows UP and HIGH you don't need to put too much pressure in your hands to keep the bar up.

>tfw i'm one of the only few people in my uni gym who can front squat over 2 plate despite being dyel by Veeky Forums standards
>tfw I completely replaced meme back squats with front squats and rdls

My joints, athleticism, and aesthetics have never thanked me more.

Who front squat with wide stance here?

Such is life for us folk with long femurs

2 months into 2017 and you just wrote the dumbest fucking thing I'll read all year. Back to /b/ cool guy.

>back squatting is bad ass because if you bail out like a retard you can get hurt
you are a fucking idiot

If you're having joint problems from squatting you probably squat like a complete retard.

Mr backsquatting tough guy cant say anything back except the usual phrases
Muh back squat
Muh heavy weight(heavy weight ONLY applies to back squats, any other exercise where you lift heavier doesnt count)
Muh willpower
Muh fear of being crushed
Admit it faggot. The only reason you jerk off to backsquats is because you happen to be a fan of a shitty excuse for a sport called powerlifting.

If you're going to front squat, use the proper rack position, not that fucking abomination

11/10

assuming lowbar squat = a little down from the shoulders
this is what i do, because Rippletoe said to in some noob videos and i am still noob

what's the name of that "be the best version of yourself" guy on jootoobs? he said front squat requires all muscle groups to be working well which is why a lot of people avoid it.

also rear gives bigger numbers, ego gratification.

like I said, using fsquats just as a variation, the cross arm is fine.
I suppose I should say that when I say you should work on the wrist/back mobility to get and maintain the front rack, that's just my opinion. I think being able to do a proper fsquat with proper rack vs. just sticking to cross arm is a pretty simple goal to work towards, but ultimately not strictly necessary.
if you're happy doing 185 on fsquats with cross rack and good form, there's no problem with that.