muscleandstrengthpyramids.com/training-videos/
muscleandstrengthpyramids.com/nutrition-videos/
youtube.com/watch?v=2tM1LFFxeKg
youtube.com/watch?v=2x09AYe9H5A
liamrosen.com/fitness.html
muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Veeky Forums:
>SS blows! 5 reps isn't enough for size! You're muscles will be tiny!
>e-except for squats! Your quads will be massive in one week!

Hypertrophy comes from volume. SS gives a disproportionate amount of volume to the legs.

SS is literally focused on legs. Not the whole body and just legs.

SS prince.

What if you do like a 3x8 SS program? You still do the same compound exercises but increase reps? What would happen?

>24 total reps vs 15 total reps

hmm i wonder

[spoiler]SS is not meant to be run for a long time without any accessories[/spoiler]

6/8 of the exercises are upper body, what the fuck are you on?

I meant 3x8 instead of 5x5 dumb-dumb.

I hate that pic

In two weeks:
90 reps squats
45 reps bench
45 reps overhead press
15 reps deadlifts
45 reps power cleans

That's 150 reps lower body vs 90 reps upper body. Plus the poundage is way higher for the lower body exercises, which makes a difference.

What's better for a newbie, then?

That would be stupid

Either do a strength program or do a hypertrophy program, or do both in a week, but dont try to do both in one exercise.

There isnt a 'better', there is strength training and there is hypertrophy training.

The distinction isn't actually that black and white though. You can focus on one at a time but you'll get some of both with any program.

What's the best hypertrophy programs for a beginner? I've been doing SS for a little over a month, but I really do care about aesthetics more than I do strength.

Of course you will gain in both, but there is undeniable proof that focusing on one will benefit that focus more than the other. Veeky Forums too often treats all exercising as equal when it isnt.

just keep doing SS until you stall then switch

I would say a PPLPPLx program

But that might not necessarily be the best program for you, doing a few full body work outs a week would also be good

Any program that hitting all your muscles, multiple times a week, in the 3/4 sets to 8-12 rep range is what you want.

after you complete your work set drop the weight down to about 70% of it and do 2-3 sets for 8-12 reps. that's all you need. also add chinups to your SS program.

From the sticky...

I'm already stalling because I'm cutting. I'm overweight and am terrified to gain fat and undo what I've already lost

you can't stall in a month unless you did some lifting back in the day or you are cutting too aggressively. 500-700 deficit is plenty.

>what are your stats and lifting numbers?
>how much sleep are you getting?
>how much calories are you eating when cutting?
>are you doing regular SS or have you added any other exercises?

do yourself a favor and watch these series
muscleandstrengthpyramids.com/training-videos/
muscleandstrengthpyramids.com/nutrition-videos/

Thats wrong, straight up 100% false. Watch these

youtube.com/watch?v=2tM1LFFxeKg

So what do as a beginner for primarily aesthetics?
SS 5x5? And then some accessories or how they are called?
Everybody says differently, it's fucking confusing.

That FAQ is wrong, watch these It actually explains what you're doing to your body as you work out

>Some faggots on youtube...
vs.
>A credible, actually sourced document.

That PictureFit guy actually looks through all the studies, and if you watch his video he disproves the crap like We've known about the difference in strength training and hypertrophy for ages now, if you want to know more you can go educate yourself on it because every major bodybuilder will talk about hypertrophy training in the 12ish range of reps and every major strength guy will talk about weight training in the 5ish rep range.

so you would try to do bench press for 3x5 at your work set weight being as high as you can go then drop the weight down to about 70% of that and do 2-3 sets for 8-12 reps. do this for all upperbody exercises.

you can either do both OHP or bench on the same day with max weight or keep alternating between them but do the one that you are not currently doing work sets with just 70% of your max weight just for hypertrophy.

so if your day A looks like
>bench
>squat
>deadlift

and B is
>ohp
>squat
>deadlift

you would do
>bench 3x5 as high as you can go + 2-3x8-12 at 70%
>squat 3x5 as high as you can go (can also do hyper here if you want even bigger legs)
>deadlift 3x5 as high as you can go + 2-3x8-12 at 70%
>ohp 3x8-12 at around 70% of your previous max weight
>SS accessories after if you do any

then on the next day you would do
>ohp 3x5 as high as you can go + 2-3x8-12 at 70%
>squat 3x5 as high as you can go (can also do hyper here if you want even bigger legs)
>deadlift 3x5 as high as you can go + 2-3x8-12 at 70% (i don't suggest doing max deadlifts every workout once the weight gets heavy but doing them for volume at lower weight is fine)
>bench 3x8-12 at around 70% of your previous max weight
>SS accessories after if you do any

>Read the fucking sticky!
>The sticky is wrong
What the fuck am I supposed to do

>slapping links on the end of your post makes it true
Yeah, no. That isnt even the Veeky Forums sticky.

>Forgetting chin-ups
Also, just do curls or some shit if you want a bigger upper body. Do some fucking dips. Isolation exercises aren't fucking rocket science. Pick a few and sprinkle them in with the actual important stuff. How do people fail to realize this?

Thats not Veeky Forumss sticky twat

I posted pic related in a qtddtot the other day. Is that a solid way to go, or should I do something like All Pro's beginner routine?

pretty much this. the most important accessories are basically

>chinups for upper back and biceps
>dips for chest/triceps
>back extensions with bb (to keep your lower back strong for squats/deadlifts)
>hanging leg raises or ab wheel for core (to keep both sides equally strong)
>farmer walk (for grip)

and then if you want
>curls for biceps
>forearm work

i wouldn't add too much shit to SS at once. SS works because it's simple and noobs don't require so much shit to progress. if you add too much accessories you won't progress as good as you would without it but doing chinups and dips is fine and will cover most of the muscle groups.

Stop worrying any lift weights

If you do 5x5 every day for a year or do 3x12 for a year either way you'll look better than you do now, period.

I'm 6'1" and weigh about 208lbs. So far, I squat about 160lbs, press 75lbs, deadlift 180lbs, and bench 100lbs.

I eat about 2000kcal a day, and I don't track macros (I should, but programs to do it cost money). I use whey to try and get my protein intake up.

Just regular SS, but I just started to do reverse chin ups in order to get myself to eventually do full chin ups. Trying to do 6 sets of 2 twice a week. Following some routine from the art of manliness to work your way towards doing actual chinups.

Idk how much sleep I get. I doubt it's enough. I'm in school and I work, and it's my last semester, so it's not uncommon that I'm up late just to get up early in the morning

It's linked in the sticky

if you have a decent diet you don't have to really count macros, they will be pretty much perfect. just use chronometer or MFP if you want a good free calorie tracker.

rest is what makes you grow and get stronger. if you are not getting at least 6 hours (8 pref.) a day then you are sabotaging your progress. a good balanced diet and rest is basically 90% of getting fit.

those numbers are pretty low for someone your size so you are stalling either because you eat too little or sleep too little or even both.

start tracking your calories. weight everything you eat and use one of the above websites to track it. calculate your TDEE and aim to eat no more than 1000 under your tdee. i'd say aim to lose around 1-1.5 lbs of weight per week at most. anything more than that you will be losing muscle with it.

hypertrophy ranges even for compound movements like the squat and bench press?

Are you fucking serious

NO one should read that link, the only reason its there is because there is no mod on Veeky Forums to remove it, that dude was a massive fucking hack who knew literally nothing but fitness.

Every single one of those links is to blogs or entirely irrelevant shit.

Wrong sticky, read this one liamrosen.com/fitness.html

A lot of people, such as myself, won't know any better

>post about doing beginner routine such as SS or SL 5x5
>"nice meme, enjoy your no gains faggot, get a real routine"

>post about doing a modified version of SS or SL 5x5
>"stop modifying the routine, there's a reason it's so popular, gain some actual strength before doing accessories"

fuck you Veeky Forums

saved

>listening to people here
>most of them can't even squat or bench 2pl8 after 1 year

What are people's thoughts on blobha's Ice Cream Fitness? muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout

he may look like shit but it's a solid routine with a LOT of volume. Literally bench/row every workout.

Why would you trust something written by trappy? Fitsticky is a fucking meme

do SL 5x5 or SS or ICF for 1-4 months depending on how much of a fat cunt you are in order to get over newbie gains. maybe once you get to like 0.5/1/1.5/2 or something. then start throwing in accessories. then after another month or two, swap to a hypertrophy routine if you're looking to get shredded brah, or move on to a more advanced strength routine if you want to be a powerlifter.

the "solid base of strength" thing is not a meme, trust me.

>a program so shitty that you need to add stuff to make it somehow "decent"

fucking SS fags will never learn.
Just do a brosplit you fucking cucks.

How the fuck is 90 + 15 = 150? Because all other excersies are upper body

The sticky is right, dont listen to any of these faggots

>2/3s of your muscles are in your lower body
>disproportionate

>lmao legs xD

>unironically posting Sunni Bill Williams

we /rug/ now

I did not know this. All I know is that rugby players have the best physiques.

Rugby is objectively the best team sport for lifters. Prove me wrong.

too fucking true

what you're missing is the insane conditioning and power that they have

smashing into cunts for 80 minutes is physically exhausting in the extreme

you are right

How long have you been doing SS? I started it about a month ago and have drastically increased my PRs.
Beginning:
Squat: 60kg 3x5
DL: 70kg 1x5
Bench: 40kg 3x5
OHP: 30kg 3x5
Now:
Squat: 105kg 3x5
DL: 115kg 1x5
Bench: 80kg 3x5
OHP: 65kg 3x5
And I do accessories on B day. Pull ups, dips, hanging leg raises.
I'm a 5'9" manlet. 80kg BW and I outlift you. To do SS properly, you need to be eating at least at maintenance. Preferably on a bulk though. If you weigh about 90kgs, you'll need about 130g of protein a day.

It says in the book to add you moronic fucker

>squats are exclusively a lower body exercise
>power cleans are exclusively a lower body exercise
>deadlifts are exclusively a lower body exercise
how about you stop shitposting and actually read a book for once?

What's wrong with his body?

Why hasn't he made gains?

then you're not doing the program

Well it got me to 1/2/3/4 in about 6 months so it's a pretty fucking DANK meme if you ask me.

>15x5 working sets of squats per week
>15x5 working sets of upper body per week
>1-2x5 working sets deadlifts
>3-6x3 working sets power cleans
>3-6xAMRAP sets chin ups

That's hardly disproportionate. Especially when reputable strength coaches says that you should be doing posterior chain work 2:1 to anterior chain.

Do you expect to be Arnold after 6 months of lifting? You need to lift heavy AND have low BF to look shredded.

GSLP is fantastic. Personally I would omit the rows and do alternating chins (or v-grip pulldowns) and curls instead.

The people telling you to do SS aren't memeing and are people who've done the work and gotten fitter.

The people telling you not to are memeing and/or DYELs who think they're hot shit.

that doesn't even make sense.

you said you started it a month ago. let's simplify and say month is 4 weeks. in 4 weeks you do squats/deadlifts 12 times and bench/ohp 6 times.

your squat increased by 45 kg, meaning you have increased the weight by 3.75 kg per workout. in SS maximum recommended amount is 2.5 kg.

your bench increased around 6 kg per workout.
your ohp increased almost 11 kg per workout which is fucking absurd. in no way can you increase ohp that fast, even if you are on steroids.

sorry my bad with ohp, it was the same as bench increase. still not realistic, especially for a beginner.

either you started way under your strength base or you are lying

Maybe, and just maybe, because your lower body can stand more than your upper body, you fucking mongoloid. And that's why accessories are for. If you can't run SS decently and get good gains in size and strenght you should consider suicide or another sport. And squats and DLs are not just lower body exercises

Go to bed rippletits, your program is shit

It's actually a shit-meme with little value.