Guys I just joined a gym and im fucking anxious of being laughed at

Guys I just joined a gym and im fucking anxious of being laughed at.

Lots of big guys and big booty girls.

Ive been lifting at home for a couple years now and my progress hasnt been ideal but my lifts are definitely better than a lot of the chads at the gym.

Squat: 275lb

Bench: 210lb

Press: 140lb

I saw one guy sweating his ass off and cursing just to get 1 play off his chest. However i feel like a weak scrawny guy who everyone is laughing at. The gym induction dude was schooling me on how to use a pull-down machine, so i must look weak as fuck (i know i am by Veeky Forums standards but definitely not normie standards).

Im nervous about lifting my numbers in the squat rack and on the bench.

1. because im self-conscious
2. im stronger than most of the guys there, i dont want them laughing at how small i look
3. i would prefer to look weak and be weak

what do i do guys?

Would you laugh at someone who looks smaller than you but is stronger than you?

The only people I laugh at in the gym are people who are trying to lift more than they should.

Just do your lifts and don't act like a retard.

i don't even notice other people at the gym unless they make noise or lift insane amount of weights. nobody gives a shit about you being there. if you are that mentally weak wear sweatpants and long sleeves

This tbqh

You guys need to realize no one cares what you or anyone else is doing unless you go out of your way to look retarded, get over yourself and just life ffs

I think you discount how much legitimate autism/clinical social anxiety there is on this board.

Being nervous on your first day of lifting and failing to bench the bar for five reps is embarrassing. That's normal. But a person without any social disorders will get over that in a couple of days or weeks.

If you're past 1/2/3/4 like OP, you're either trolling or should visit a shrink if you're that self conscious.

Well thats exactly my point. I look small compared to people lifting significantly LESS than me.

I look like a person who is trying to lift more than i should.

i was this close to posting a meme-y gym bully response, but then i realized you might actually take it seriously

in all honesty, i have never once seen something remotely like what you are afraid of happen in 6+ years of regular gym-going.

whats 1/2/3/4?

Are you saying im at a level in which i shouldnt be nervous?

>If you're past 1/2/3/4 like OP
but he's not though

1pl8 press, 2pl8 bench, 3pl8 squat, 4pl8 deadlift

80% of people who ever go to the gym don't get as strong as you already are, man.

My anyone's metric you're already an 'advanced' lifter.

When I said that I laugh at people who are trying to lift more than they should I meant I'm laughing at the guy trying to bench 2 plates but with terrible form.

If you are doing your lifts with proper form and just not acting like a silverback gorilla no one cares.

He's just a few pounds away on squat and bench. He's fine.

Fellow insecurefag reporting
What you're going to have to do, is realize that no one gives a shit about you. Seriously, you are observed and immediately forgotten.

Those numbers are also fairly decent. I was squatting 2pl8 at my gym and one of the PTs remarked that it was heavy

I judge people based on their forms than how much they lift. Probably most people would too, so not just for the sake of being laughed at, fix your form if you think it's imperfect for yourself. And like other than that no one cares about what you do in gym

I've seen it before but its always the small DYEL guys. The big guys are almost always the nicest guys in the gym.

hello /u/LIFTSHIT

At any given time, someone in the gym is doing something fucking stupid. That alone should make you lose any doubts about yourself or insecurities

I'm fat, I don't lift very much, (way less than you) but I keep going. My gym is pretty small so pretty much everyone there is a serious bodybuilder/lifter. A lot of people say hey to me now or nod their head, at worst they just ignore me.

I wouldn't sweat it OP. People are usually aware that just being at the gym puts you a head above the rest. Just don't be a dick and you'll be fine.

>The big guys are almost always the nicest guys in the gym.

thiiis

I don't think you should care this much about what other people think. I used to go to this old school basement gym where everyone else was just huge. There was no point in even trying to compare. I also always went with a friend (classmate from school) and we just did what we were there for. My impression was the regulars were just happy to see some new people there.

If you're worrying about doing something strange, it's not like anyone cares when this happens. I saw two guys posing in front of the mirror for about 20 min and touching each others arms in a really gay manner and noone seemed to even notice.

Try living in Australia where everyone at the gyms is a chad except me.

Not deadlifting is your problem m8

It's the exercise used to assert dominance.

Its cos they wanna fuck your butt bro stop teasing them

I've only started going to the gym so I can't even lift nearly as much as you, OP.

My form is bad, my weight is pitiful, but that's alright because we shouldn't be going to the gym for others, only ourselves.

Just remind yourself, "I'm doing this for me" whenever that anxiety roles around.

You'll be fine dude. Coming from someone who has diagnosed social anxiety (on Lexapro currently) and is a dyel it's okay. I go in there, I don't do anything that looks retarded, I keep good form, and I don't try to lift anything I know that I can't lift. People just do their own thing and are friendly. I've gotten random people giving me the nod of encouragement to keep going because they know I at least am doing correct form and not acting like a jackass. The only thing I'm somewhat embarrassed to do is pull ups but I still try my best and move on.

Thanks guys.

"OH NO! SOMEONE IS LAUGHING AT ME!"

Jesus Christ, quit being such a little bitch.

t. guy who deadlifts your big squat/bench/press

you shouldnt be mocking him with those lifts

Everyone is self-conscious, it is why we are there in the first place lol

Listen I'm a big muscular bloke and even though my starting strength is excellent I'm doing still 20kg squats almost 2 months in, nobody gives a shit mate.

My mate just started today and is doing plank row with 8kgs, bloody small women weights pretty much and does anybody give a shit? No they don't and if they tried anything they would be kicked out.

Don't let gym anxiety beat you OP

>Started going to the gym last year
>Started at 111lb 6'0
>Now I am 118lb, 6'0
>paranoid and anxiety have fucking ruined it
>I have to go to the gym at like 3am, too tired to do anything
>if I so much as hear a noise or see someone outside I get nervous they are watching my horrible form and weakness, and stop working out for 40 minutes

Last month I sat in a gym toilet cubicle for 30 minutes clutching a 9lb Kettlebell, trying to kettlebell swing in the cubicle and accidentally hitting the door because I thought I saw a personal trainer. This was at 4.20 in the morning. I ended up crying and leaving the kettlebell in the toilet bowl and going home to vomit

I won't make it, you might

I don't laugh at anybody, regardless of size or strength level, unless they do stupid shit.

Today, I saw a 6'4" skeleton use straps to shrug 70 lb dumbbells. I judged him.

Don't be that guy and you'll be fine.

The only way to not lift like a bitch is to first stop acting like such a bitch.

Seriously, boo hoo, someone laughed at me. Man the fuck up.

no way is this true

The autism

Don't let it beat you either mate, are you on any tablets to ease this anxiety? If you are it might be a good idea to change it and see if another is better, it's pretty much a shot in the dark to do with tablets and mental health so switch it up if you can.

holy fucking kek please be true

Most likely is but don't take the piss lads, if you haven't had it then you won't understand that this type of thing is actually more common than you think and feels horrible, makes you feel like crawling up your own arse all the time.

good point. im sorry dude

why would you freak out, a PT couldn't see you if you're behind a cubicle door?
why would there even be a PT at the gym at 4.20am?
why would you not just buy a kettlebell if it's such a problem to go to the gym?
why would you not be more embarrassed to sit on your phone for 40mins than be seen trying

your story made me laugh tho, wish it was true

I plan on going to the gym for the first time when I get to 315 for reps on bench.

Problem is I'm going to look like a huge faggot because I've never used machines before so I'm going to want to check those out.

Also I just ordered a leg press so my legs should be a lot bigger by then. I'll just be a hopefully huge faggot looking like I have no idea what I'm doing besides bb exercises

You need to understand that the gym isn't a place where you are supposed to go and socialize, just do you

>walk into gym
>walk around to see that most exercise machines that I want to use are in use
>go home

This all the way.

As long as you're know you're not a smug asshole, don't be worried if someone might think you are because they're probably just puzzled at why their lifts are shit in comparison. If anything, I think anyone worth their salt would respect you if you're lifting that with good form and a modest demeanor.

t. someone who also has moderate gym anxiety and can only lift half of what you can

Think of it this way. That guy you saw struggling on 1pl8. Did you laugh at him? Did you make fun of him?

If yes then you're a piece of shit and shouldn't go to the gym. If no then you're just like everybody else and you're there to do you, that's it.