How the HELL do you break a weightloss plateau

I've been stalled for nearly 4 weeks now, running a 1k kcal daily deficit for 3 of those weeks and 1.5k kcal for the last few days. I'm down from 320 to 208 having counted calories the whole way, so I'm pretty positive that I have a good idea of my TDEE (3k, calculated backwards from my rate of weight loss) and that I'm counting calories correctly.

I've had a 3-week stall before where I lost 6lbs in 48h which then stayed off, but when I stall like this I can never shake the feeling that my body is some marvel of science that has broken the laws of thermodynamics.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=33gGP4tpSxA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

eat better

Time for a diet break then.
Eat at maintenance and just slightly ramp up your activity and exercise level.

PSMF

I'm a skelly trying to put on weight, and while it's working, it's fucking hard, so I know your pain.

That said, I obviously haven't experienced it from the other way around (fat fuck trying to lose weight) so maybe it's easy to say "you have it easy dude", but over 100lbs in a month is fucking good going.

I'd cut out one of my balls with a rusty spoon to gain 100lbs of muscle in a year, nevermind a month.

So while I can't offer any specific medical or experience based advice, I'd say just stick at it. Remember your body won't be liking this at all. You're used to being fat so it's a shock to your system. Plateauing is natural. Stalling is natural.

Giving up, eating like a pig, then putting it back on steadily is where you have a big problem that is entirely your own fault.

Could always try keto memes

Time to deload

Have you tried reducing Carbs and other calories you won't need? I kept dwindling my Carb intake till I had almost zero for one week, and the weight kept plummeting. At the end of last week I did a refeed, and I'm still dropping in weight.

here is how you do it

>eat at maintenance for 1 week
>after that eat at a slight surplus of around 300 (don't worry, you won't even gain 1 lbs and if you gain more it's just water weight)
>after that eat at maintenance again for a 1 week
>resume your cut

this way you will balance your hormones and your weight will start to drop again.

>but over 100lbs in a month is fucking good going.

I hope I didn't give the impression that I lost 100lbs in the last month

youtube.com/watch?v=33gGP4tpSxA All you need to know.

I eat at maintenance for a week or two and add more volume, then begin doing cardio until my calories fall Low enough to break the plateau. Then I restart the diet.

Eat less, drink more water, do more cardio.
Its not even that hard wtf?

I'm eating 1500-1600kcal per day and 2 out of every 3 days I do 40-50min on the treadmill at a 10min/mile pace

I don't really want to go more intense than that

You've obviously never dieted for a long period of time or done a show. Every time for me during a 16 week prep i stall anywhere from 4-6 weeks out. I have a refeed day and eat at a slight surplus (2-300cals) for 3 days then resume my cut whilst upping cardio by 30 mins that week and it breaks the plateau and im normally fine for the rest of the prep. Give yourself a week of eating just above maintenance OP you wont gain any fat.

I'm tempted to try a maintenance week, but I need to get below 202 to go for a med evaluation for the Air Force. My fear is that I refeed and pack on 5+ lbs of water & glycogen that takes weeks to leave again.

Normally I wouldn't feel so antsy about reaching an arbitrary weight when I know that I'm losing fat despite the scale not moving.

>I've been stalled for nearly 4 weeks now
okay

> running a 1k kcal daily deficit for 3 of those weeks and 1.5k kcal for the last few days
no, you aren't

you're probably underestimating the calories you're eating or overestimating your tdee
if you were running on a deficit there would be weight loss

you can deplete gylcogen and shed water weight within a few days if you go hard enough, if you want to continue to lose weight without going to dietary extremes, my humble opinion would be to go the maintenance, even if its just for a few days

/thread

You could try strenuous physical exertion in set intervals, preferably measurable increments, and repeat until very near discomfort, albeit within safe parameters.

Anyone care to explain why people stall when cutting? Ive heard often that it happens and you have to refeed but I don't understand the science behind it. How can your weight not go down if you're eating at a deficit

this is not healthy advice but take it from a lifelong fatty. i go between extra obese to bearmode. go to drugstore and buy bronkaid. wake up in the morning. pound coffee. i drink like 8 cups. adjust your tolerance. eat something like yogurt or whatever you eat. take an aspirin. break bronkaid in half and take it. drink water. drink water drink water. keep an eye on your heat beat to make sure it doesn't skip jump ect. repeat for like a week slowly uping dose. then fucking stop. then stop doing this shit its bad for you. stop it. i know it feels good but stop it.

Reverse diet out. From where you are, start adding 2-5% of your current calories while watching your weight. Do this every week until you're up at maintenance. It'll take a good long time, but you'll raise your metabolism see some gains in the gym and give you a mental boost. Once you've been at your new maintenance for a month. Start cutting again. -500 cal. You might even start losing while adding calories. The separate factors which regulate our metabolism are well documented but its basically still vodoo when it all comes together because you never know how everything will work together.

Update: I've lost 4lbs in the last 24h. Another 4lbs would put me right back on track with my expected rate of weight loss. I guess the secret to plateau-breaking is to bitch about it

there are lots of physiological changes that happen when you diet. metabolism goes down and various hormone levels go crazy. sure, at some level it's just calories in-calories out, but if you're dealing with a body that burns less calories, is more hungry, stores fat more easily, has less energy and so on then it becomes way harder, and you need to eat less to keep losing weight. the point of a refeed is mainly to allow your hormone levels to recover