I think I might switch from Strong Lifts to Greyskull. I heard it's a better routine and aestheticaly it'll look better...

I think I might switch from Strong Lifts to Greyskull. I heard it's a better routine and aestheticaly it'll look better, is that true? Did I switch to soon? I'm bulking if that's relevant.

I'm 6'4 185 lbs

Bench: 155
Squat: 225
Deadlift: 245
Overhead Press: 110
Row: 110

Not the best lifts, but it's a start. I started at 130 pounds, so there's a long way to go.

Should I switch to Greyskull? Would PPL be better? I'm able to go 6 days a week if I need to.

Honestly just looking for advice. Anesthetics is probably the most important, but I do want to hit 1/2/3/4 at least.

?

what's up with your row, op? that seems too low compared to your other compounds.

I meant it's 115, but it's still pretty small. Honestly, I'm not sure. It's one that's always seemed to be lacking for some reason. I'm just getting back into lifting after a while. I should have it back to 135 pretty soon.

I should probably also mention these are 5x5 numbers, not maxes.

you're jumping from one beginner program to another beginner program. i don't think you're going to see the improvements you want jumping ship to greyskull without first figuring out what the fuck is wrong with your row.

you're deadlifting relatively well, so grip strength is obviously not the issue. assuming you have access to machines, consider adding lateral pulldowns or cable rows as accessories, and make certain you aren't flaring your elbows out like you're diving into a pool.

Relatively how much should I be rowing? I've added pull-ups with Grey skull so shouldn't that help?

What do you mean about flaring my elbows? That sound like something I could see being the problem.

So basically if my rows catch up then move onto an intermediate program like PPL?

at your strength level, you should be rowing at least 135 or 140.

for flaring out your elbows, think about keeping your elbows in line with your wrists and as close to your body as possible during the action of the row. if your elbows get further from your body (creating a sort of chicken wing kind of look, airing out your armpits) the further you go up the row, you'll destabilise yourself, and that'll limit how much you can safely row without being in pain.

your first objective should be improving your rows. the rest of your lifts are coming along fine, and the discrepancy in your bench will almost certainly be fixed when your rows catch up. keep an eye on your development with something like symmetricstrength, and make the jump to PPL when you start plateauing in your squat and deadlift.

>Anesthetics is probably the most important
try ketamine

5'9 190 here

Started lifting 5 months ago on Stronglifts but switched to PPLPPLx and loving it, would recommend

Bench: 160
Squat: 265
Deadlift: 265
OHP: 100
Row: 145

Add in some accessories and you're golden.

*Aesthetics

Are you serious? I think I used to do it the way you're describing, but someone told me I was lifting wrong. They said you're arm should be a 90 degree angle, I think like the chicken wing you are describing. They said the bar needs to be pulled up to the nipple too. Is this not the case? If my elbow was closer to my body I could easily hit 135 on my row..

You think my lifts are good enough to switch to PPL?

see the attached. what i'm describing is a mentality fix to help avoid snap city. a 90 degree pull is quite literally the definition of snap city. you have my kneecap to kneecap whoever the twit was that told you to do that. the angle should really mirror the angle of your bench press, but your natural tendency will be to deviate towards too wide of an angle. think closer to the body with the elbows, and you'll have greater success.

the nipple thing is a good rule of thumb for most people... but you aren't most people. you're taller than average, so if you're long in the torso, you should be hitting below the nipple. i think at your height, if you tried to aim at the nipple, you would need a super wide elbow angle, like the 90 degree you mentioned. don't do that. that will hurt you.

Yeah no fucking wonder that lift is lacking, damn. I've been forcing myself to try and do the first one. That helps a ton, thanks man. You've just increased my lift and saved me an injury down the road.

we're all gonna make it, brah.

Now that Row is 135, good to go to PPL? That way I can go to the gym more.

What's a good program for that?

coolcicada ppl with deadlift on pull days. look for it on jefit, if you need an app, use jefit.

Yeah just go for it man

Dumb question, how do I find that workout on the app?