SSRIs & Gains

I know 90% of us are sad cunts so who here has had experience with SSRIs?
>Objectively have a great life
>Still depressed and don't want to get out of bed in the morning
>Seriously considering getting drugged up

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DsVzKCk066g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Don't do it senpai, it will fuck up your brain chemistry for a very long time.
The only way to beat depression is to keep yourself distracted from it.

I've always hated the idea of taking them but I feel as though I might never be happy or energetic enough to do anything with my life without them

im on SSRIs
three to be exact, feel free to ask me anything

i would recommend that you seek and get help, even if that means taking medication

What school are you going to shoot up?

never been prone to violence, except occasionally against myself during really depressive episodes

so no, wont be any school shootings

Just do cardio, user. Watch this video youtube.com/watch?v=DsVzKCk066g then read Spark by John Ratey. Cardio can cure anxiety, depression, stress, addiction and other things unless you have some sort of massive dire version of any of those, and even then it still helps in a very well-rounded way and is a good addition to medication.

I takee SSRI's and I'm exercising and in about a week it's already started to modulate my need for zoloft (25mg) to once about every other day instead every day.

As someone who has seen their wife go to shit over 15years of taking that crap, in every variation...
She is chemically addicted to prescription drugs, an alcoholic, and still miserable as shit

At least she used to be able to keep a decent job

Don't do it user, shit will ruin your life, therapy is fine, stay off the drugs

What does it feel like when they're working? What changes?

My main concern is the whole turning into a zombie thing
Is there any truth to that claim?

Yes, that shit gives you a chemical lobotomy

Thanks user.
I've been doing cardio lately as I have started playing rugby and I have noticed it helps. I'll look into it further

im not suicidal like i used to be, im still depressed though
they dont make you happy, its not like taking X

you have to find the meds that workf ro you
i know somepeople that complained about becoming a zombie

i havent yet
but i would prefer that if it meant becoming normal

I really really recommend the book. It has all the science that was available in 2008 from a practicing psychiatrist who has seen the transformation in his patient's lifes who he's turned over to exercising. It's well organized and concise and has more info than the video. I read it in two days.

The whole reason I got into working out was to help with my depression but now I'm too fucking depressed to workout. Do ad's make you feel like doing shit? I don't give a fuck about anything.

>Normal

Too late for that, if you're posting on the chins

I'm already very active with cardio and lifting, I'm also reading other Veeky Forums rn is it still worth reading?

working out helps your depression, but it doesnt cure it

desu i started working out when i was at my lowest
that being said there have been many times where i was too depressed to work out
being on meds helps make it easier to work out during those times

Thanks for the thread m8

yeah, i know
i always wondered what is it that is wrong with us, those that frequent Veeky Forums, that makes us so not nomral?

Does anyone have any advice/perspectives to share on depression as whole rather than just SSRIs?
What has helped the anons of Veeky Forums from offing themselves

CBD and lifting

a lot of people are ignorant when it comes to anti-depressants. I've been taking Escitalopram for a little over a year now. Completely pulled me out of the shell I had fallen into within a month I was feeling like myself again. I've never had any issues with sex and getting it up/ejaculation. No mood swings. I'm actually meeting with the doc on monday to discuss tapering off of them.

my advice, if you really think you need them, go talk to a psychiatrist. ignore the stigma and what some of the autists here say. you need to take care of yourself and seeking help is a brave thing to do that takes courage. I wish I would have done it sooner.

its really hard to kill yourself desu
a lot harder than you think

Central Business District?
Alright I have a question, is it possible to beat depression without drugs?
Is easing depression with drugs healthy long-term?

not quite sure
but prob healither than the risk of offing yourself

Definitely, as many times as I've wished for it never once have I attempted. I'll breakdown crying whenever the thoughts get too serious and that's as far as I'll go.
I did write a suicide note the other day just as a life-affirming exercise

there is physically nothing stopping you from working out.

fropm personal expierence
even when you do try, your animal instincts will kick in
at least it did for me

fpbp

My concern is with building a healthy, fulfilling life.
I guess drugs could help in the construction but not maintenance of this.
I still think the foundations will be weaker if drugs are used

I take zoloft for anxiety, and before I took it I was basically turning into a recluse. It has helped me actually function and act relatively normal around people.

then perahps you can use SSRIs to help you build a helathy fulfilling life, utilizing it as a tool

once youre good, you dont need to use the SSRIs anymore

I'm sorry to hear that but glad you're still around
How are you doing now user?

was previously on zoloft for anxiety and depression. Went off of it and started lfiting instead. I'm still depressed, but I was depressed on zoloft too.

For anxiety I just take ativan every so often as a rescue medication. it's rare that I need one, but when I do I'm very, very grateful to have that drug.

im hanging in there by a thread, thanks for asking
how are you? i hope all is well

I'm pretty stable but just feel so disillusioned by life as a whole as though it is all so hollow. But I'm sure I'll get over it

Don't do it user. They don't make you happy. They make you feel nothing. You don't feel bad anymore but you don't care about anything. Also fucks with your gains.

That's cool, never really needed it for depression, but I feel like I wouldn't have been confident enough to start going to the gym without it.

Yes. Even if you're already doing cardio, it helps to know why you do it. And if you don't do it 6 days a week it will give you that extra motivation to get mentally fit to do it. It is THE exercise for mental health book. Not too short, not overlong, accessible, and to the point with science, personal anecdotes from patients, statistics and guidance. Just don't listen to his opinion on low carb high fat (only warrents a 2 sentence mention), that is GOAT imo.

Were you doing cardio? Lifting weights does not work as well as 30 minutes of cardio daily. It's less than 50% as effective according to studies. Also, maybe get on some medication to give you the jumpstart you need.

Thank you mr theropist

see
posts by me on advice on depression rather than just SSRI's.

>there are people in this thread arguing against drugs that have been developed over decades with millions of dollars being put towards research designed to specific help the problem that everyone on this fucking website seems to have

time to leave fuck

I started cossfit

I wanna judge but I do dance cardio so, to each his own. The You wanna get your heart rate to 75-85% of your max heart rate, which I think is roughly 200 - your age. If you can't do that yet, any bit helps. When I first started I could only do like 5-7 minutes of cardio. Rn I'm doing 36 minute low impact cardio a day but I still flag about halfway through and have to phone it in a bit.

Eat before working out for a better workout. The cool part is that your brain learns to produce things like BDNF which regrow parts of your brain related to reward, executive function, attention, memory, etc. so even if you fail to do it for a few days or weeks, when you pick back up you can get back to peak mental performance in about 2 days.

Have you seen a doctor about your issue? You could have a number of other issues going on that would not require an SSRI. For example you could have hypothyroidism or a cortisol imbalance. On the other hand if you really need depression treatment, biologically the drugs work. I won't go into reasons why they don't work for people because that would be rude.

Some of us disagree with becoming dependent on drugs just to feel nothing.

No I haven't. I guess I'm ashamed about it but also I feel as though my depression is different to normie depression, yes I am aware of my eletism even in something as pitiful as depression. So I should see a doctor? What's the process after that?

Drugs will never save you, just zombify you enough so you don't care. We will never truly be happy, it's a hard pill to swallow but it's something you must overcome. If not you'll just eventually end up hanging from your ceiling.

Well I don't have any adult experience, but I can tell you that when I was young I was put on all kinds of psych meds (I had horrendous anger issues from emotional trauma)

Some made me even angrier, some made me pretty much catatonic and sick, some made me want to kill myself, some made me "happy" but I wasn't really happy, I just was unable to feel sad (hard to explain or understand unless you take them)

went on from around 6 years old to 14 and since then I have had suicidal thoughts pretty much every day. It's supposed to be a side effect of coming off zoloft, which I was on last, but it could also just be from my brain being fucked from psych meds during my developmental years.

I would advise agaisnt it from personal experience, but if you want to take them you should talk with your doctor at length or speak to a psychiatrist about the side effects before you start on them because getting off is a hell of a ride

Good post famalam

I guess I kind of understand that bit furiously want to deny it. I'm a romantic when it comes to humanity but I think that's just a coping technique for our real hopelessness

I wasn't exactly depressed but I wasn't satisfied with life. I wanted to kill my sex drive so I got on Zoloft for 3 or 4 months. It's a wierd feeling to describe while on it, there are no highs and lows, just this peaceful state where you never get stressed out or angry. The shit made me really impulsive in an alpha kind of way, suddenly I start randomly talking to people in the middle of the street and doing anything that's on my mind with no thought.

I got off because I felt like my IQ shot down 20 points. Memory went to complete shit, had a hard time understanding some of the stuff that normally would be a piece of cake. Recovery was such a pain in the ass too, always felt groggy and dumb, but without the alpha impulses of before.

>SSRIs = school shooters/brain dead zombies

this meme is bullshit. There are literally millions of people on SSRIs that function fine. I've been on Lexapro for a couple of months and I'm finally becoming better at managing my anxiety and sleeping much deeper/longer. user, do what your doctor recommends and don't listen to the pseudo-psychs here

Been on Lexapro (escitalopram) for roughly 3 years. Started at 20mg and have dropped down to 10mg.

It has helped me become a functioning human again. It has made going to social events possible. It has reduced paranoia and ocd and drastically reduced anxiety.

On the negative, I less i feel less intelligent and less quick witted. Way more lazy and less likely to want to exercise....I have become addicted to caffeine because of this. Increased sweating like a mother fucker and this can get fucked in summer.

On the whole i plan on reducing my dose by half again and rolling with that for a while. Although id like to get off it completely one day , i realise that i might be on/off it for life.

For me on the whole, it has made my life livable again.

>im hanging in there by a thread
This one?

this. but, if you really feel that you can't get out of it, and it is affecting you to the point that you cannot function as an adult, then take them.

Cardio will not fix mental problems lmao

The reason for this is because literally the reason your on it is for some mental disorder... don't blame the treatment blame the person.

That's literally just your opinion and it's wrong.

Hey op I've taken antidepressants. It allowed me to fix the problems I couldn't in a very autistic way. Once the problems were fixed I stopped using them.

Yeah this makes quite a bit of sense
I mean it might help serotonin or dopamine or whatever but there surely is more to mental illness than that

wrong post

I'm on Lexapro and I'm doing fine.

I used to have panic attacks just driving to the end of my road (literally less than 5 minute drive). Now I can stay out of the house for a couple of hours and still be fine.

It also suppresses apetite, which is great since I'm cutting.

Veeky Forums actually gave me good advice for once on this: commit to fixing your unhappiness or kill yourself.

I have a friend that was all drugged up for her entire childhood, and then came off of them when she was homeless for awhile, and she says that she doesn't recognize her emotions very well, and she described the forced "happiness" as the inability to feel sad as well.

I personally worked through my own shit just worrying about myself and what I wanted to do. I started planning and working towards goals that I sorta wanted, and then I started really wanting them. I'm being pressured to go back to college, but seriously, fuck that, not something I want to do. Get rid of the parasites that are trying to push you towards goals you don't want, identify what you want(this may take awhile because depression, but you can do it), identify absolutely necessary steps(i.g. working a job, going to college, lifting, whatever), and do it.

There's no such thing as an objectively good life. Having more money or a better job should just give you more freedom to do what you want, but if you piss it away or are restrained by it then it sucks all the same as being poor as shit.

>commit to fixing your unhappiness or kill yourself.
I've already thought this but idk how to fix myself.
>fit af
>Hot gf
>Going to lawschool
>No purpose
How do I fix purposelessness?

>Myth of Sisyphus
>Read it fuckers

İ used effexor xr 75mg/day for almost 6 months. it made me overcome the depression a bit, like i started go out again. but when i did all the faces were blurry and i dont remember genuinely laughing to anything in that period at all. yes i wasnt depressed anymore but i didnt enjoy life at all.
also i gained shitload of fat. i didnt weigh myself but i believe i went from ~85kg to ~100kg.
i went cold turkey, because i had lost my belief in meds and doctors, which i wish i didnt because it fucked me up for life.
now i exercise (lifting&cardio on off days) and meditate which helps immensely.

>objectively
No such thing, most people have depression for a very legitimate reason but no doctor is going to say you have a dangerous lack of spirituality in your life. Find a reason to live, find a lifesaver in the ocean of a post-modern world, find something to get you up in the morning.

I'm on remeron, which isn't technically an ssri but it helps me eat. I'm 6'0 and 175 pounds now, which is the heaviest I've ever been.

>fuck up your brain chemistry for a very long time
Maybe, but what does that mean even? No one really knows.

I'm a weird one. I went from unbearable, empty depression to completely fine, just with bupropion (150x1).

SSRIs make me too flat, and the anorgasmia is a deal breaker. I've determined I'm a dopamine guy. Also the noradrenaline haps have made my cut go better. I've dropped a few lbs in a few weeks averaging 2400.

And that's 2400 with about 250c a day and shedding weight like nothing

I don't think serotonin is an issue with me. Serotonin is for "traditional" people. Thrill seekers need dopamine. Wellbutrin/bupropion is a fucking miracle drug

Then find out? If after years of depression you haven't learned to be introspective and understand what you're feeling and why, if there is a why(and there rarely isn't), then you've really fucked up. All that time laying in bed, actually gone to waste.

Why are you in law school? Doesn't really sound like it's doing much for you. Hot gf apparently doesn't matter enough to make a difference in your life, nor does your fitness. It sounds a lot like you're doing shit you don't care about.
Set a different goal and go for it, grow some plants, get a hobby. If it doesn't get you off, then try something else. Find what you like since you made it into adult life without knowing. If nothing else the pattern of setting and achieving goals is helpful to your mind; shit gets real when you realize how much power you have over your own life.

i also go to law school
really hate it
dont know why im still enrolled
doesnt help i have trash grades

They're not worth it.
>sleep
>food/water
>exercise(don't skip cardio)
>socialize
If you're doing all of the above in a way that is satisfactory than maybe see a psych or something. There's a reason you're depressed op, you just gotta put in the work to find out.
>I believe in you

how much do pain killers really hurt gains? I'm o oxy and take naproxen OTC. Google says it hurts gains but are we talking keeping you from being top 5% or will it affect a guy like me who is just starting out lifting

Get off it slowly but deliberately and keep on lifting.
>Or maybe speak to your doctor instead of asking anonymous internet ppl

was on citalopram for a year. don't do it, you'll find out why a week after you start :^)

I went cold turkey on everything a month and a half ago. No withdrawal symptoms really. But my neck is fucking killing me, my neck injury is why i'm on oxy in the first place. I had fusion surgery in my neck 3 years ago and shit hurts. The plan now is pain pills till i die

Your goal appears to be
>minimize pain
>minimize effect on lifting
So presumably
>the least drugs possible while still negating all or most of the pain
Could you try maybe a lighter dose or less intensive drug? Did you discuss options at all with a medical professional?

Yeah, was on stronger stuff in the past, to feel comfortable now I need 3 oxy to get out of bed, 3 more when I go home from work and 3 when I go to sleep. Naproxen mixed between to keep the edge off. I can cut back to 2 oxy twice a day but i'm taking more naproxen and generally in pian

That really fucking sucks, man. I hope you're able to find the help you need. Maybe physio/massage/doctors or just time?

Yeah, guess alternative medicine is my next stop. Its shitty right now, i've never looked better then I do now but I've never felt worse.

It sounds like you're on the right track. Don't cold turkey; take it slow. You'll get where you're going eventually so no need to rush it in pain.
Best of luck and lots of love to you, user.

Love you to bro, we all are gonna make it

I took it for 2 weeks
Couldn't get hard (now all fixed)
2 ways:
Don't think about it, it will go away if it's not a huge biochemical problem
I advise you to stay away from loneliness, you have to do something related to self improvement or fun (hang with friends, play an instrument, study whatever) so you won't have the time to be sad
If you have bipolar troubles do the same but avoid any disapointment (when you plan to go out with friends make sure they are 100÷ available, if you can't play lets say the guitar because you have infraspinatus pain then don't try to, disapointment leads to sadness)

Or get the best therapist you can and be open with him, yourself and People you trust (family,friends...) about it
Work on why you are depressed, make some researchs, find out what and why

Hey genius the #1 reason people who successfully treat depression relapse is because their meds actually work and the person assumes they don't need them anymore.

I went from mirtazapine which fixed my sleep and made me hungry (luckily during bulk season) to citalopram now. It decreased appetite for me, so good for cutting now. Its different for everyone, but it has definitely improved my life. It kind of makes things less harder, the effort to actually get out of bed is less and my mood generally improved. It took 5 weeks to work for me tho.

You should always also see a counselor, a behavioral specialist at best. Life doesn't have to suck, it takes time but it will get better. Just seek help and stick to lifting. The drugs won't turn you into a zombie if you got a competent doc and are over the age of 18.

i hate law school, i really do
its so hard for me to connect with other law students, they're just so... different
i was always introverted and anti-social, but even i still managed to make a close group of friends in college
even when i was working i still managed to make a couple friends
but law school, i hate it
and im bad at it

should i keep grinding? or should i just quit?
i cant keep this limbo state of half assing law school
i need to either commit or withdraw

any and all advice welcomed
also willing to provide more info about myself if that would help

I was put on lexapro for a little, but it actually made things significantly worse. After like a week and a half I felt compelled to self harm, to this day I can't come up with any excuse for that and I will always be embarrassed by it. Anyway very shortly after that I got off, threw the remainder away and resolved to just use spiral power to fix my shit.