Should you do OHPs inside the power rack? Note I have my own home gym so this isn't an issue of hogging the rack

Should you do OHPs inside the power rack? Note I have my own home gym so this isn't an issue of hogging the rack

I can't extend them 100% to the top when I do it inside the rack, it's blocked by about an inch, but are you supposed to, is it safer?

Do you guys flare you elbows out this much or do u keep them in from of your shoulders?

as long as you aren't afraid of dropping the weight in worst case ontario, you can essentially do it anywhere
it would probably fuck up certain types of flooring though so keep that in mind

how can you possibly be in danger during a strict over head press? what you need is a place to hold the bar thats above your chest so that you dont have to clean the bar to ohp, thats it.

Tuck them in a bit more.

No, why would you do that? You're not going to fail with it above your head (unless you don't use a right grip) you're going to fail trying to push it.

This, too. Cleaning drains my energy on OHPs and I start missing reps.

its alot easier to get it to your shoulders in order to press... who the fuck cares?

ill deadlift on a flat bench and btfo of anyone who says something to me cause i dont give a fuck

>that guy who ohp's in the squat rack

get the fuck outa here pleb

>not cleaning the bar
pussy

this. i use the power rack because theres always one open and i dont feel like cleaning it every set.

this

clearly op is a fucktard who dosnt know the difference between a power cage and a squat rack

How is it even a question, you've already said you can't get full extension so why does it even necessitate a discussion. Common sense says doing it outside the rack is the obvious choice.

I always do it starting from a dead weight on the ground. I do this because it would be functional in 2 unlikely scenarios that not only require shoulder strenght, but also the ability to clean heavy

>Picking up a grill over my head would probably get her wet as fug

>So I can do Bane's back breaking technique from TDKR as a finishing move in a fight and become a living legend to all of the witnesses of it

I know both are unlikely for me to get the chance to do them, but I must always be prepared for glory

>doing ohp, has to clean bar first

yeee good luck gettin max reps in

What is that? Some sort of Spanish popsicle?

>Picking up a grill over my head would probably get her wet as fug
>So I can do Bane's back breaking technique from TDKR as a finishing move in a fight and become a living legend to all of the witnesses of it
this user makes a strong case.

>Some skelly-fat manlet bumps into you in the bar
>"S-sorry, man"
>Pick him up
>Break his back
>"DID YOU GUYS SEE WHAT I JUST DID? FUCKING LEGEND, MATE"

hue

Those are literally the same exact reasons I privilege training OHP. I don't treat them as mutually exclusive though.

Why would the grill be laying on the ground?

not the user you replied to
but why would it make more difficult?

I-is this bait?

Because she sure as fug wouldn't be racked on a power cage

maple (not table) syrup on a popsicle stick that was frozen in ice, tastes pretty ok

>get her into a fireman's carry
>OHP here
What is really needed is a lift that emulates putting someone in a fireman's carry from a standing position.

>maple (not table) syrup
Ah and here I thought it was table syrup!

>I-is this bait?
no, I'm being frank
I've always cleaned before pressing; I could barely get into correct positioning the few occasions I've tried using the squat rack for that

cleaning uses similar muscles as OHP does, mainly the shoulder. Not to mention it'll drain your energy a bit on heavier weights. How can you not get the correct position on the squat rack?

I guess I'm not used to; cleaning I get into position very quickly, not by slowing getting under the bar and then up. Granted my OHP is balling 50kg, but progressing steadily.

>50kg
What's your routine like? 5x5?

Yes, I'm doing reddit ppl, but OHP is 5x5, started 2 weeks ago.Before that I just lifted some weights for about 1 year, following no program.

I'm pretty confident if you switch from cleaning to pressing from a squat rack you could pass that 50kg and possibly do a 52.5kg (is that the next one up?) at 5x5 as well.

Nice, I'll try that once I plateau, then

A clean, even a fairly shitty one, is almost entirely a leg movement. The upper body it does use is in the traps and slightly in the upper back.

Those are not the important movers in an overhead press unless you're doing something very strange.

If you fail at OHP you don't really drop the bar - unless you were going for your PR maybe. You catch the bar back down on your chest, and worst case - break form an lean back too much to rack it. In theory, you could still catch the weight at your thighs with extended arms, like you finished a DL. You can hold way more weight in that position than you can OHP.

wrong

Tremendous rebuttal.

If you can explain how someone is cleaning predominately with their pressing muscles, I'd love to hear it.

what is this picture trying to convey

>I can't extend them 100%
There's your answer.

i believe thats some quebecoise who make their own 'ice-cream' using maple syrup and snow

Id probably Just take the bench the moment you take the weights off to deadlift

Then when you start An arguement Ill probably Just try to make you look like a retard for needing the bench when you DL

Tuck them in