Oly Lifts:

Just started lifting 5 weeks ago and I'm doing GSLP so I'm not particularly interested in oly lifting. HOWEVER I think C&Js and Snatches look pretty cool and one of my goals is to be able to C&J a respectable weight. So I have a few questions. 1. Should I try learning them right away?
2. Can you learn Oly lifts on your own?
3. How long does it typically take to have an okay form?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wIB_X2N6020
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

1. YES! You can start an oly lifting program right away. If your goal is to have good oly lifts, do them!

2. Yes. The hardest part for most people is learning how to explode. The second hurdle is getting under the bar.

3. Once you figure out the above, good form comes quick. The oly lifts feel extremely natural to perform.

Just re-read the part about you not wanting to oly lift. My advice is to be honest to yourself with your goals, and then train towards them. I was in a similar situation as you. I was doing SS but I was REALLY interested in oly lifting. I wasted a lot of time doing a routine that didn't make me better at my goals.

Are they taxing? Can I practice them on off days?

t b h I'm lifting for discipline first, strength second, size third (although apparently they come hand in hand for a beginner). I've seen that there are a few proponents of incorporating some oly lifts in strength training so I figured they shouldn't be mutually exclusive and again, I'm mainly lifting because it beats being a slob so I don't have any clear long term goals.

They aren't very taxing at submaximal weights, but I find them very difficult to perform after heavy deadlifts or squats.

Alright thanks I guess I'll just train them on off days and then hopefull add them to my routine.

I'm probably the only actual oly athlete here

1. I mean if you really want to sure

2. not really, you will probably be bad

3. I mean okay form can come in like 6 months

oly lifter here, also.
1. yes
2. yes, but you need to read up on them, and watch videos of oly lifters doing them (protip: do not watch crossfiters oly lifting, and especially don't watch idiot american fitness instructors)
3. practicing everyday, you can learn them in a few days. practicing twice a week it can take months.

imo, the way to start is to learn the pulling movements first.
1. slowly pull to the knee
2. quickly to the hips
3. shrug
4. extend to toes

next learn how to pull. the key is to use the momentum, not the arm strength.

after that learn how to "rotate" the arms under the bar.

do power snatches and power cleans. classic technique is hard and requires you to be pretty flexible.

i can tell you right now that this poster has a very low level of familiarity with weightlifting. you should start practising as soon as you can if you want to do it, you can learn the lifts on your own but will more than likely develop bad habits and technique unless you are talented or very knowledgeable, and finally having an 'okay' form will take you a long time;

you should expect to be having difficulty replicating the level of 'good looking' lifting for about a year, this is because you have to develop the expertise for yourself to be able to recognise subtle differences in technique caused by different body types and the ones that will be specific to you, and only time can do this. its a very taxing sport and very hard to get 'good' at,

whether or not youre athletic you should expect to get injured frequently each time you begin to get better, (im getting surgery next month after a year of patellar tendinopathy for example, but thats one of the worst things, bar dislocation). honestly it takes a degree of 'autism' to really enjoy doing it, and to commit to it you really have to like it, its too frustrating otherwise

Not OP, but since we're on the topic of oly, would I be able to throw oly lifting into PHAT?

It's literally the only thing I want to learn. Even bought decent rogue bumpers. There is a pretty legit crossfit gym near me that competes heavily. I know I know crossfit but it looks pretty legit. Should I go for month or 2 and learn basics. It's pretty expensive though

You're off to a good start. Just remember that you don't have to follow a certain program or set of lifts just because Veeky Forums said so. Take the time to try and learn a little of everything. Eventually you will find that you want to stick to something.

This is what you can expect if you have really poor motor functions when you begin your lifting career. Olympic lifting isn't nearly as hard or complex as these guys make it out to be, and you SHOULDN'T be getting injured all the time. (WTF! SAD!) Oftentimes we try to puff up our own hobbies to impress others, and that's in real poor taste because it turns off most people from olympic lifting.

As long as the coaches are experienced you will be fine.

No. You'll be weak at all three practices.

Thanks for the encouragement user

www.olylifts.co

▲▲

>olympic lifting isn't hard or complex

Yea you need to post your numbers and your weight class and video evidence before you say something like that. Otherwise you come off as a huge jerk to the people who find this sport rightfully difficult and challenging.

t. noob lifter of 2+ years.

What's easier for a beginner to OLY lifting that has been at the gym for 3 years just casually doing sets of muscles per day 4 days a week (chest/tri, back/bi, etc)

Snatch or clean and jerk?

Not OP but are there any sort of beginner routines for people looking to get into Oly lifting?

This is just shit advice, oly lifting is fucking hard. Join an oly gym and prepare for upwards of six months of stretching and drilling movements to get there. I've wanted to give it up all together a couple of times but just keep focusing on what does go right every session. Baby steps :P

Post a video if you make such outrageous claims

Clean and Jerk.

I'm currently doing SS, and it says I should be doing power cleans for two weeks already, but I talked to a few trainers around my gym and also to a trainer at my university gym, they all put me off by saying I can't learn power clean on my own, I shouldn't try and that the program is bad for beginners if it has them. The guy at my uni actually a huge guy, he got university degree in training olympic weightlifters.

Anyways, should I do learn to power clean? If yes, could you share some resources, like youtube channel and stuff? Fucking demotivating faggots, hate when people do that.

clean and jerk, start with power cleans

Dafuq mang? I learned c&j from watching youtube vids and practicing 3x/week

Over 1 year now and up to lmao2pl8. Not that hard desu

>it takes a degree of 'autism' to really enjoy doing it

this

oly lifting is without a doubt the most autistic shit ever and thats coming from an oly lifter

pendlay's beginner program

dont listen to those faggots, power cleans are easy to learn and a good way to get into oly lifting. rippetoe has heaps of videos on them

youtube.com/watch?v=wIB_X2N6020

danke

>yes you can do these lifts
>but don't do these lifts because they are hard
How's life as a blob of lard?