What'f fits take on Alan Thrall admitting to squatting too low?

What'f fits take on Alan Thrall admitting to squatting too low?

youtube.com/watch?v=NQD4Y_R4mOo

He's right
A2G puts so much stress on your ligaments and tendons
Super dangerous
If you go that deep you're working against mechanical advantage and in so doing, are shredding your joints

You're supposed to squat ATG for high bar squats, not for lowbar, which is what he seems to be doing in OPs pic. Not opening the video because
>tfw 3 gigs of data on celly

For fucks sake. I have browsed Veeky Forums for years and you guys always said a2g.

Are you sure you are just not making it up as you go along?

it doesn't matter, unless youre squatting over 3 plate you can squat however the hell you want and its not gonna snap your stuff

Wrong
Did you even read my post? Lowbar and highbar squats are two different things.

Highbar is even worse for mechanical advantage

it gets you stronger but at a tradeoff for your joint integrity, it is quite harsh on the knees and lower back

it takes a hell of a lot of detraining to get to that midground of between past parallel and atg for a complete rep

>Alan Thrall

ok fine I will bite the bait

in all honesty you dont even need to get your legs more than parallel to the ground, in fact by doing so you are trashing your knees. You wont feel it for a few years so dont worry, that knee surgery is years away. Since I am being honest here if you go just a little above parallel you can really reduce how badly you wear out your tendons, you just wont have super strong legs like those or power lifters, which is fine. If your goals are to get super strong and compete then by all means got a2g, wanna be a power lift? go a2g. Do you want decent looking legs and a better than average body? do some squats but do more cardio.

Yes, weightlifters are all about doing things inefficiently.

What a useless video.
>OMG LOW BAR SQUATS ATG ARE BAD!!
>BTW I USE THE BOUNCE AND DON'T BRACE!!
>BTW I'M A LOW BAR SQUATTING MOUTHBREATHER SO ANYTHING I SAY IS IRRELEVANT TO ANYONE WHO DOES REAL SQUATS ANYWAYS!!

Going any depth besides just past parallel is unhealthy and suboptimal for low bar squats

Going any depth besides ATG is unhealthy and suboptimal for high bar squats

Now you dyels can fuck off

>hurr squatting is bad for da nees!!
go away mom

If weight is on the heels and feet not pronated, only danger to the knees is not going low enough

Alright now i feel like a fucking idiot. Did parallel squats all my fucking life and somehow browsing Veeky Forums convinced me to give a2g a try even though i always felt that it puts my back and knees at risk.

Now I've been working my way up with low squats for 1 month and suddenly it turns out that a2g is a one way trip to snap city

tldr; fuck Veeky Forums

goddamn, if you stop before parallel, the musculature and ligaments of the knee are stopping the weight and taking all the force, if you go below parallel this force is transferred to the much sturdier musculature of the hips, do not go above parallel it is terrible for your knees.

alan never said its bad. its bad the way he did it.

highest sheer force on knees is above parallel.

highest compressive force is below parallel

this means quarter squats ruin your knees

and atg stresses the miniscus

the activation of the hamstrings and glutes pulling the tibia back in atg squats takes away from the sheer force

this thread is full of fuck lmao

what are you training for?

go back to your low bar

train both, always train both
jesus

learn to research for yourself for fucks sake, dont listen to people on here

You don't atg on lowbar because the lowbar is "primarily" a hamstring movement. By going lower than necessary on a lowbar squat you end up losing tension in your hamstrings and have to muscle the weight up instead of the stretch reflex helping you bounce back up. It's the same way with deadlifts, if you squat to pick up the weight your hamstrings lose tension and your back picks up the slack.
You can atg on highbar because while highbar does involve hamstrings it doesn't involve them to the degree that lowbar does, also the stance width and hip angle change a lot influencing the loading of the hamstrings as well.

if you atg low bar you have lumbar flexion and fucking die

wait someone atg low bars?

hahahahahhaa

This, also you atg when you have the flexibility, not the physical ability. If you dont have the flexibility, you stop at the point where you feel the most tight and in control. Otherwise your butt winks, you lose tension, and all the weight is butt on the lower back, no bueno.

>browses Veeky Forums for years
>still relies on Veeky Forums for information

DYEL ALERT

When it comes to powerlifting, he's correct because it's not like you get extra points for squatting lower than is necessary

However, when it comes to olympic lifting, I'd argue there is definitely merit to squatting as low as you can. When you catch a clean or snatch, you're catching it basically as low as you can. Squatting as low as you can emulates getting out of the hole and so it's helpful to do so.

Furthermore, going as low as you can is the best way to assure that you're getting proper depth every time and not cheating yourself, and if you're doing low bar you physically won't be able to go "ATG" anyway so it's kind of a moot point for that.

That does depend pretty heavily on the person. It's not exactly uncommon for lifters (especially taller/fatter guys) to have relatively higher catches, especially on the clean. Those guys might not benefit as much from trying to bottom out.

I guess that could be true, I haven't seen many lifters like that (generally it seems like Lu Xiaojun, Tian Tao or Max Lang catch their lifts pretty low like in pic related, and they usually tend to squat low as well) but I can see how that would be the case.

Honestly though for me personally squatting as low as I can is just the best way to ensure I get depth. I don't like playing the guessing game as to whether or not I cheated myself on each rep.

It's more noticeable with the 105s and SHWs. Whether that's down to height, proportions or overall fatness I couldn't say.

You can't physically tell if you're hitting the right muscle when lifting or is it all about playing the powerlifting game?

If you have shit mobility, maybe.

don't go heavy until you can go low.

oly lifters have been lifting since they were young teens. by the time you see them they have had multiple knee surgeries, injuries, lifting for 7+ years, and are elite athletes with roid assist.

don't fucking squat like they do, holy shit.

If by the powerlifting game you mean guessing whether or not I got three white lights on each lift then yeah it's closer to that. I've had issues before where I think I'm doing full squats and I'm actually doing like quarter squats or something. Going all the way down (not to the point of losing tension of course, but down past the point of any doubt whether or not I've hit proper depth) ensures that doesn't happen. Is that what you meant by the powerlifting game?

As for physically telling if I'm hitting the right muscles or not, everything I would expect to be sore after squats the next day is usually sore so that's usually a pretty good indicator.

Not true son.
I dislocated my L3 and broke my L4 vertebrae in a really fucked up injury from a car accident.

I had to quit doing deadlifts entirely and it took me 7 years before I could squat again.

When you squat too far before parallel your pelvis thrusts forward slightly, putting the weight on the lowest part of your back.

If you have shattered that part of your back like I have, you will feel it when that little thrust in your pelvis happens.

Anyway, I'm squatting 405 x 6 right now, my legs are oh so juicy again, and I no longer go more than an inch or two below parallel.

Ass to grass is for faggots that believe there are dick to squat onto in the grass. Fucking fag.

Because it's retarded to do muh-ATG meme unless you have good flexibility. All these kids memeing with ATG have immense buttwink and then they cry about low back pain and hip pain.

>someone makes a generalist statement about x being safe
>queue some random faggot with a broken back popping up begging for attention, kys

>listening to Veeky Forums on anything

I just go til I feel a stretch, if you're not competing in powerlifting who gives a fuck

As long as you maintain form, and it's highbar there's no problem you scaremongering fucks

Do not dive/bomb squat (like Thrall), pause at the bottom and you won't suffer any knee problems.

Well I did rupture my patellar tendon with a 155kg front squat.
Wasn't pretty.

>from a car accident

Janoy Cresva, that you?

>alan thrall
>meme beard to hide his ugliness
>trained over 10 years
>220 lbs BUT HIS BENCH PRESS MAX IS UNDER 300 WHILE OMAR TRANNYSUF IS 170LBS AND DOES 350

CRINGE CRINGE CRINGE CRINGE CRINGE CRINGE CRINGE

ATG low bar is pretty biomechanically impractical. By the time you pass parallel you have to shift your weight forward and press knees forward to reach depth. This isn't inherently bad or dangerous, it's just stressful and inefficient.

For High bar, you can easily achieve ATG without these problems.

i swear to god he just loves showing his ass on camera

actually its fucking bad to NOT go ATG.

I've tried this myself with my working set and I feel it all on my knees, even at parallel I feel too much work being put on my knees
if I go ATG I don't even feel my knees, only my quads

I'm only squatting 1.5pl8 right now, started lifting not too long.
I never understood how is it a problem for people to go ass to grass. I can not avoid going ass to grass I pretty much go as deep as possible it's easier than trying to stop yourself.
Am I missing something? Because for me it's harder to not go all the way down

Obviously if you're used to squatting ATG, that's how you've trained the movement and it's more natural for you.

Most people have mobility issues when starting and have problem with depth. And less distance is easier to lift.

how does this apply for front squats? is atg too muvh compressive force?

Front squats, like high bar, enable ATG.

thank you

it's ok as long as you have proper mobility. Most people will start to buttwink near the a2g bottom, which is quick way to wrecking your shit

buttwink is easily fixable with stretching/mobility work

The issue is high bar vs low bar.

High bar, unless severely limited mobility, atg is natural.

Low bar, and just below parallel, any further become mechanically disadvantaged.

Are you divebombing, user? Because it sounds like you might be divebombing.

>A2G puts so much stress on your ligaments and tendons
this is what dyels believe

Guys - stop asking questions about a2g. Veeky Forums doesn't know, it just says whatever is fashionable at the time and will throw in a bit of bro science to confuse you.

For anyone who wants to get serious with their weights then my advice is to talk to a trainer. Every gym has trained PT's who are there to ensure you don't fuck yourself over because you got given shitty advice.

Hell, if you are too autistic for that then go to reddit, the up votes help to filter out the retards though still it is not as good as talking to your local professional.

Lots of people squat ATG lots and it does put a lot of stress on ligaments and tendons.

But guess what? That's how you get fucking stronger and now the athlete has very strong ligaments and tendons. While the cuck who did machines and isolation has the tendons of a newborn baby

Majority of PT's give you mediocre advice so they can keep leeching money of you, and keep you from hurting yourself by not giving you the slightest of responsibility over having good form.

Veeky Forums is a good source of info not for quality but for quantity. It's a bad source if you're new and don't know what you're doing. But if you're experienced enough the amount of opinions is enough to get a general idea of your options so you can search yourself for more reputable sources and arguments.

As soon as I read talk to a pt I knew you were just pretending to be retarded.

>the up votes help to filter out the retards

There's pretending to be retarded, and then there's being offensive.

I've squattted 250x5 ATG and I always thought that's just how I naturally do it and always used the bounce at the bottom. Wrong. I started stopping my descent just below parallel 2 weeks ago. Once I was able to do this it instantly added 15lbs to my 5rm just like that. I'm not saying ATG is bad, and you can keep on doing it if it feels comfortable but going only slightly below parallel will let you lift more weight. One thing to note, I think going ATG with a bounce activates the glutes more. I've stopped getting sore glutes from squats when I stopped bouncing at the bottom.

99% of the people I see going ATG lose all tightness in the bottom in order to dive deeper, coming with buttwink any everything.