Overtraining is a meme

>dude if you lift more than 1 hour a day, 3 days a week you will overtrain

If you're lifting enough yes

I train 2/3 hours a day everyday with a day off here and there if Grad school becomes obnoxious.

There is no such thing as overtraining. But undereating / sleeping is.

There's an upper limit on how much you can eat/sleep to aid recovery. Run it hard enough and you'll overtrain even if you're a NEET on a stupid bulk.

Overtraining is a serious condition affected peak athletes, not fat squatting autists

>Be me 10 years ago
>Work in warehouse
>Work 5 10 hour days
>Lift heavy spools of copper wire all day between 5lb tiny spools and 500lb drums you had to pull off the shelf onto your cherry picker which had about a 1 foot gap closest to the shelf
>Basically just slowly pulled with rotation to shimmy them off they were heavy as fuck
>First week dead tired everyday
>Second week still a little sore
>Third week and this isnt so bad no more
>Fourth week better start hitting the gym after work

Your body adapts. I went from 145 - 205 lbs over two years working there. Though those were also noob gains I still made gains despite working like that most days.

So could i hit the gym 3 times a day if i spread out the muscle groups with large enough variety of excercises?

If you controlled the volume and intensity, yeah you could.

It'd be fucking stupid for 99% of purposes but you could do it.

>the human body is the only perfect machine in existence and can operate under infinite stress and duration

Kek l2thermodynamics you retard

That isn't even remotely what the OP says

retard of the year award goes to you

I lift for 2 hours, but I am doing SS. Unless I spend 5 minutes resting between sets, I won't progress.

how the fuck can one do 3 excercises for 2 hours, i do like 3 sets of 5 different excercises and takes 50 minutes with warmup

Its not a metric of time if that's what this thread is about. 15 squat sets or 9 bench sets at 87%1rm for example is too much for me and will start to wear me down by week 3.

I'd assume something like 15 five minute rest 75 minutes, 30 minutes of set up and lifting, 15 minutes of warmup.

10 minutes cardio
squats:
10 minutes warm up sets
1 minute each set, 3 minutes in total
2x5 minutes rest
deadlifts:
same as squats
press:
same as squats

total: 10 + 3*(10+3+2*5) = 79 minutes.

in the end I usually do some assistant exercises like chin ups/dips, which adds an extra 2*(3+2*5) = 26 minutes, which in total amounts to 105 minutes.

2 hours was probably an over statement, but I guess add the shower at the gym, protein shake, changing clothes and I am pretty sure I spend at least 15 minutes doing all that.

oh yes, this as well. I forgot to add that I don't immediately jump to the next exercise, but I also spend like 5 minutes to make sure my muscles are completely rested.

I used to not spend this much time at the gym, but at some point I stalled, and after actually reading the book, I realized it was because I was not resting long enough between sets. 5 minutes is perfect for me right now.

>bench your 3x5 workset on Monay
>expect to bench your 3x5 workset on Tuesday with 5lbs increase
'No'

>linear progression is the only type of programming

your novice DYEL is showing

>oh no overtraining does exist he is right
>I better move the goalposts and explain to him that it doesn't apply to ME
I don't care my man

This

the example you specifically gave was fucking stupid, and so are you

>implying there is no such thing as MRV
>implying that the body has no limits

>"just eat more and sleep more"
yeah, eating 10.000kcal and sleeping 12 hours a day will magically change your bio-chemistry.

At one point I was doing squats, OHP, dl, bench, plus accessories and cardio at the end every training session 3 times a week. On 4th week my body started to fall apart, my joints wouldn't heal. It's not a meme

>shit he got me
>ad hominem!
overtraining does exist, you can't maintain your progress when the stress to your muscles exceeds the recovery until the next time stress is applied

I don't care if you bench 1 plate and are happy with that I wish you all the best, but don't spread myths about things you do not know about or care to know about

reading off logical fallacies you found on wikipedia, nice

what you described in your example was a little bit of fatigue accumulation, which is a part of any good non-novice program

actual overtraining takes weeks of beating yourself up with volumes beyond your MRV

don't give advice here again

so overtraining does exist?
at least you admit it

>fatigue accumulation
that's an inaccurate term for the phenomenon you're describing
fatigue also accumulates after every rep you do in a set, generally without rest
having the same term for 2 very different phenomena is inefficient, which is why its not called that and instead called overtraining

>which is a part of any good non-novice program
it's not part of any good program whatsoever
it's not supposed to happen, it does happen sometimes, tough luck you didn't recover in time, but generally you want to avoid it because it hinders your progress

>actual overtraining takes weeks of beating yourself up with volumes beyond your MRV
I'd argue you've already overtrained the second you fail to increase weight (or reps if you want to) for a full workset and your performance actually went down during those "weeks of beating yourself up"

what you're saying is: You can apply stress in such a way that your ability to recover from said stress in a set amount of time does not constitute for an adaptation to the stress and application of a consecutive higher stress to the muscles
which is exactly the definition of overtraining that I told you before

if you want to argue about your skewed semantics you'll have to do that without me, I have no time to run in an argumentative circle, it seems like we're on the same page about overtraining but you enjoy disagreeing too much

>bit of fatigue accumulation
>which is a part of any good non-novice program
I get what you're saying. But even as an advanced lifter you should be below your MRV most of the time and only hit it or exceed it once in a while.

There is a big difference between exceeding your MRV by 10% for a week or two (after having been below it for 8 weeks) before you deload, and constantly training at or past your MRV.

>b-but it's very hard to over-train
A lot of novices and intermediates over-train. Usually the kind of guys that do 5X10 on bench every other day because they have been lifting for 12 months "already" and still don't have square pecs.

Advanced lifters are really the only ones that benefit from carrying over fatigue past a week. And they are usually experienced enough to know their limits. But novices and intermediates over-train all the time.

Eating and sleeping more raises your MRV of course, but there is a limit - and for natties it's lower than most people think.