I need to share something that is mind boggling to me

I need to share something that is mind boggling to me.
Today at the gym a guy showed up and started doing shoulder presses with monstrous dumbbells in short sets like it was nothing, among other exercises.

Thing is, he looked like shit.

A human stick, a fucking walking q-tip.

Why, WHY, would someone want to put so much effort into building strength without wanting to look better too? I'm not talking "aesthetic" levels of definition, but come on, it feels good SEEING progress in the mirror, sensing the changes in your own silhouette, that satisfaction, that "UMPFH I'm feeling good.".

In short, what's the point of being able to lift asteroids if you look dyel.

>obvious exceptions are athletes

maybe hes an athlete.

because he doesn't give a shit about looking big that's why

He probably did a bunch of cardio before you saw him

itt: body dysmorphia

Pragmatically he just likes having that strength. There's something satisfying about knowing you're strong.

looking big and being weak is way worse than looking small and being strong

No, no it isn't.

I'd much rather be a strong normal guy than a weak roidmonkey.

Because men build self confidence by increasing their ability, not their appearance.

Enjoy your pageant.

Too bad you'll be a brainlet either way.

You just agreed with the guy you quoted you bell end.

Because he is overly obsesses with his muh abs so he never eats

wut

Would you rather have the ability to do 30 situps in a row, or be able to lift fucking... An atlas stone?

This

TIK TIK BOOM!

Not that guy but are you guys are trolling or what? How did he agree with what he said? Fuck you retards

>not that guy
Yeah sure bud.

but you can increase both?

Since we're talking about looks being deceiving, do you look smart or does your face match your retardation

kek

>monstrous dumbbells
>human stick, a fucking walking q-tip

Either he was lifting baby weights that seemed big to you because you're a dyel idiot or you're full of shit.

Maybe its easy for him to be strong at that weight.

Maybe if you spent less time judging random people at the gym and more time lifting, you would be able to match his power level.

function over form, bitch

His allocated parking spot is quite far from his front door. Has a long way to carry those groceries

this

>monstrous dumbbells
>q-tip
ITT: dyel OP sees some guy half repping 60's and is impressed by this because he himself is a twink

>monstrous dumbbells
what were they? 100 lbs each?

This. I don't think anyone realises how retardedly big some average gym goers get.

I bench 120kg for reps and I don't want to get any bigger. Too much muscle looks stupid and it's not functional

>ITT: salty skinny t-rexes
You know that if you're able to do 30 pushups you're already stronger than 99% of people right? Plus you guys act as if hypertrophy training doesn't increase strenght at all, which it does. I honestly don't get what's so bad about being big and aesthetic.

This. From my perspective if I could press a button and pack on 10lbs of lean muscle with 0 strength increase then I wouldn't. I want to be as strong as possible relative to my size - whilst still having an all round good physique.

Nothing bad about it. It's just many people get too big so it doesn't look aesthetic. Principally professional bodybuilders who look fucking retarded

congratulations you saw a man-let

especially on OHP the advantage of short arms is ridiculous. 110lb+ dumbbells is nothing with short arms on OHP

>100 lbs each?
>monstrous

Does your gym not actually have proper heavy dumbells?
Even the commercial chain gyms here have dbs that go up to 135lbs.
My dungeon gym has dbs that go up to 200lbs and I've seen the owner use the adjustable dbs with standard collars to load up 225lbs for rows.

jason stop posting

Maybe his sport needs him to remain at a certain weight or size. This could be in the form of weight classes, or just functionality for stuff like gymnastics.

We're talking OHP here, you stupid dumbass. 100lbs are plenty monstrous on OHP.

probably one of those genetic freakshows with very bad size genetics and fantastic strength genetics

you might have met the next Maxx Chewning

i'm the opposite, i did rippetoe strength meme programs for my first 3 years and got pretty big but stayed pretty weak

fpbp

itt: dyel

even the ancient greek philosophers wanted to be yolked you faggot

Basically this. Lifting exclusively contrary to what you morons is actually shit for you. Imagine this...a 300 pound man of muscle is still a 300 pound man...THATS ALOT of weight to be carrying around. Being all around healthy is the best way to live. Fuck lifting anyways the entire industry from supplements to gyms themselves are SHIT

Are you autism

Is no one going to point out the fact that something really doesn't add up in this post?

It's not like you can lift "monstrous" weights and not put on any muscle mass...even if you don't look very cut or aesthetic, if you're lifting really heavy you are going to put on mass, worst case scenario you are going to be too fat...

So either OP was lying about the "asteroids" this guy was lifting or he is delusional about what a q-tip looking person is

It is possible to lift fair amount of weight and still look DYEL to people (someone usually posts the pic of Ilya Ilyin to demonstrate), especially if the person looking doesn't know what to look for. You'd be amazed how many people try to judge strength off the mirror muscles and completely miss the fact the guy is sporting a monster set of traps or hamstrings the size of turkeys or whatever.

not entirely true. there are tons of average looking people with insane lifts

>looking big and being weak is worse than looking small and being strong

>No it isn't I'd rather look small and be strong

Ilya Illyin doesn't train for upper body pressing strength. I seriously doubt his legs, on the other hand, are DYEL. Some Oly lifters do train presses, and you can easily see this in their upperbody physiques- Klokov, almost all Chinese lifters, etc

Unless you are a genetic outlier you cannot lift significant weight without significant mass.

There are exceptions, for example, someone can bench a heavy weight by making a ridiculous back curve. Or someone can pull 180kg with really wide sumo-stances.

Unfortunately it seems the size!=strength belief has hit 2017 era Veeky Forums really hard

There's beach photos of him out there. Granted its probably from when he's off cyle but you wouldn't think he had big legs by normal standards let alone a world class oly lifter.

Yeah the guy who could probably clean 250kg on a good day doesn't have big legs. I'm sure you would dwarf him standing next to him. Fucking retard.