Intermittent Fasting

Can someone give me the lowdown on IF? Is it a meme or does it really work?

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3370421/
sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/01/130123133852.htm
lifeextension.com/newsletter/2010/7/late-onset-calorie-restriction-reduces-cellular-senescence-protects-telomeres/page-01
telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/03/12/fasting-for-three-days-can-regenerate-entire-immune-system-study/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC329619/
bodybuilding.com/content/intermittent-fasting-everything-you-need-to-know.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_picking
twitter.com/AnonBabble

i do it because years of heavy squatting has left me with a very weak sphincter so i poop myself a lot on a regular diet, and i need to eat-poop-shower in a cycle, to avoid.. problems.

>t. fell for the squat meme

What does your diet look like?

Should of used a squat plug bro

Yes it does.

How to:

1) eat once somewhere between evening and before going to bed

That's it. Stay off calories for the rest of the day. You can chew sugar-free chewing gum and drink tea, pref. unsweetened, or with artificial sweeteners. If you feel hungry just tough it out or better yet drink something.

I prefer longer periods of total fasting, rn I'm on the seventh day of a total fast. It's hell for the first 24 hours but afterwards it's really nothing. Takes a slight toll on the brain and overall strength, but that's it.

Not OP. What are the benefits of IF?

not him but
you eat less
you waste less time on eating and prepping food
you lose weight
my skin looks better (less pimples and hair dont get oily as fast)
after a week or two you only get hungry when its time to eat

I've been doing it for about a year and went from 20% bf to 14% bf while gaining strength

When I tell people about it they laugh, get worried, or tell me 'Oh I could NEVER do that'

stem cell + immune system regeneration, increased growth hormone production, and improved insulin sensitivity

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3370421/

sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/01/130123133852.htm

lifeextension.com/newsletter/2010/7/late-onset-calorie-restriction-reduces-cellular-senescence-protects-telomeres/page-01

telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/03/12/fasting-for-three-days-can-regenerate-entire-immune-system-study/

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC329619/

It helped me lose weight but gains were slow and I felt tired af all the time.

It'd complete crap for anyone physically active.

Cut on a deficit like any other normal human being.
You can do some fasting meme when you are in your 50s and have nothing better to do anyway.

>i do it because years of heavy squatting has left me with a very weak sphincter so i poop myself a lot on a regular diet

[citation needed]

Would it have all these effects on you even if you're still a teenager? (18, male)

.....yes

why wouldn't it? kek

I lift all the time fasted, it's the only way to fly. If I get a pump on with food in me it just isnt the same

it helps you on your cut by inhiting hunger in the long run and by getting more hours of low insulin. i do it naturally and i feel so fucking good and energetic from not having food in my system all the time, but it might not be the best for bulking. do it if you want to cut/maintain. remember that calories in/out are more important tho so don't go around fasting but eating 5 k calories a day

Idk. Maybe something about hormone imbalance or growth plates shutting before time.

Yeah I fucked up early on and would slam more than my TDEE all right before bed with Pizza and beer and shit. Still lost weight, but not the way to go

>Cut on a deficit like any other normal human being.

this is bad advice. IF reduces your metabolism to a lower degree than continuous calorie restriction does.

>It'd complete crap for anyone physically active.
I'm doing IF right now and I'm maintaining my 580kg total, despite doing IF and cardio+gpp on all but one off day.

I also don't have a car so I walk everywhere and I work in a hospital.

Yeah, fasting is great for people that need energy for physical activity and are looking to maintain muscle mass.

Almost every athlete does it right?

I really don't know how this shitty meme even became a thing on a fitnessboard, what a fucking joke.

>Yeah, fasting is great for people that need energy for physical activity and are looking to maintain muscle mass.

yes, it is.

>Almost every athlete does it right?

>athletes
>on Veeky Forums

>I really don't know how this shitty meme even became a thing on a fitnessboard, what a fucking joke.

please educate yourself before posting about fasting again

So you green texted what I wrote and that is your argument.

Good job.

How Exactly Does Intermittent Fasting Enhance Fat Burning Compared To A Standard Diet?

The Yale/Copenhagen group published several papers showing that one of the key mechanisms in fasting-induced fat loss has to do with an increase in the activity of genes that increase the number of calories the body uses and the amount of fat it burns.[1,2]

When you fast, your body turns on genes that encode for certain uncoupling proteins and enzymes that increase fat oxidation. The uncoupling proteins basically "poke holes" in the mitochondria inside muscle cells. The mitochondria are where most of your energy is derived from, especially at rest. By poking holes in them, your mitochondria produce less energy and thus have to burn far more calories to produce the same amount of energy in the form of ATP.

In other words, you may use more calories as a fuel source during the fasted state, which can aid your weight-loss efforts.

Many other studies suggest that fasting may also provide numerous other health benefits like lowering cholesterol and triglyceride levels, increasing HDL (good) cholesterol levels, and even promoting greater longevity.[3,4]

bodybuilding.com/content/intermittent-fasting-everything-you-need-to-know.html

Not a a single athlete that performs well and is to be taken serious has ever successfully run IF and none in the fitness industry with an actual name recommends it.

That's all you need to know about it.

Just think about the shit that you are selling for a second. You want to tell others that this diet magically enables you to lose fat quickly while maintaining muscle mass or even gaining it despite eating tremendously underneath your TDEE.
Yeah, right. That's why noone does it right?

>despite eating tremendously underneath your TDEE.
Who said you have to do this?

You get 80% of your TDEE in with one meal yeah?
Maybe if you are 160cm tall and weigh 50kg.

Which is probably who this diet is meant for.
Skinny fats that want to be not even ottermode.

I eat somewhere around 4000kcal a day on IF, I am indeed cutting, but not very drastically. You realize you have 8 hours to eat, right?

>8 hour eating window
>not 4-6 hours

never gonna make it breh

It's too impractical when I have to consider 2-3 hour sheiko sessions within that window.

So you want to tell me that the program's revolutionary idea is having an completely random and cherry picked amount of non-eating (16hours)?
That's the whole idea, that makes it magic?

So all you end up with is shitty mornings because you start your day with depleted energy storage and a hungry evening because you go to bed without dinner?

And then in these 8 hours you eat like a complete pig, stuff your face with food all the time so you make up for the lost time.

Haha, this is great.

What the fuck do you mean does it really work fucking idiot JESUS CHRIST.

You skip breakfast and eat later so for dinner/evening you can save ur calories and get away with eating ice cream/burgers etc.

or alternatively still eat clean but get to eat a lot bigger proportions which makes me more satisfied than eating snacks throughout the day.

This is why its considered good method when cutting.

Im also type 1 diabetic and as studies show it improves insulin sensitivity so my blood sugar has been lower (better) than it ever has in my whole lifetime. that alone is already a reason for me to do IF

It is supposed to influence insulin sensitivity and nutrient partitioning. I've been trying it for 3 weeks now and I am liking it. Don't really have shitty mornings at all, I do drink coffee during this period but I don't think it has a huge influence of satiety.

I also don't exactly stuff my face like a pig, considering I am eating below maintenance :)

I do this and have lost 7lb in 10 days. Lifts have stopped going up so quickly but none have gone down.
>wake up at 9am
>don't worry about food prep, just drink two black coffees, one in the car on the way to gym
>feel great working out - light, buzzed, stronk
>drive home/to work
>do whatever the fuck I gotta do that day
>eat whatever my step-mum is kind enough to cook for dinner at around 6-7pm (the beauty of IF is that each meal doesn't have to be meticulously planned)
>depending on the macros of first meal, fill the gaps with a small second meal around two hours later. This usually ends up being protein and veggies.
>A piece of fruit of two
>A glass of diet coke for the night-time sweet cravings
>No eating after 10pm

Honestly it feels great and the time you save by not making/eating food all the time is a bonus

You eat 4K calories in 8 hours, many of which you are probably supposed to be at work and thus can't eat, but you don't stuff yourself?

I mean; if you are a NEET and all you do is shitpost on Veeky Forums all day then maybe you won't feel tried, sure.

Some people however get to work and have to use their brain to think through complex tasks and ideas, others get to work and have to move heavy shit all the time.

No, I've scheduled it specifically so I am off work. I don't have to stuff myself, I eat 3 meals and just space them out less, so I'll go 1-2 hours between meals.

Also helps to eat a large dinner of course.

Jesus Christ we get it, you're a pussy who gets low blood sugar and feels faint when he doesn't eat. I can workout, work all day, and party hard at night all on IF

As someone eating 4K you probably have a different idea of stuffing than i have.
If you eat 4k/3 calorie meals every 1-2 hours then you are eating pretty fucking much.

>t. 2/3/4 telephonist browsing Veeky Forums at work

I'm pretty sure at least half of it is in my dinner, and I have plenty of time to digest that.

16 hours in fact :^)

2k in one meal is stuffing. What do you eat?

Reduction in the protein content of food by 40%, led to a 15% increase in the lifespan of rats. The rats subjected to a protein-restricted diet early in life displayed a long-term suppression of appetite, reduced growth rate, and increased lifespan [58,59], and the increased lifespan in such animals was associated with significantly longer telomeres in kidney [58].

Finally I can cut protein out of my diet

600-700g of pork meat (190kcal per 100g according to package, that's well over 1000kcal right there) roasted potatoes with plenty of oil, sauteed spinach.

Every other day I have salmon instead of pork

>of

Kek, that must be like 2kg of food in total. I mean, if you dont consider that stuffing then go figure.
Doesn't really matter though.

I mean, go ahead and keep running this weird setup of eating your food based on these few studies you posted. If it works for you, even better.
I doubt it does magic for you though, after all you say you are doing a slow cut. Probably with equal results.

I wouldn't be productive at work no matter how much i eat the night before, so i'd rather stick to diet concepts that have been proven to work fine since decades.

Well, the nutrient partitioning stuff is supposed to help me lose fat faster without having to do so drastic of a cut.

I haven't tested maxes yet as I have yet to complete a training cycle while following IF, but I have yet to fail a set despite calorie reduction, increased training frequency and loss of bodyweight, which I think bodes well.

God damn it dont give me reasons to not do heavy squats

>rn I'm on the seventh day of a total fast
damn bro, the longest ive gone is 2 days. Are you just on water, coffee/caffeine, and gum?

>skip breakfast every day
>on Thursdays and Sundays skip lunch too
>that is all

i dont fart constantly anymore.

in fact i almost never fart on IF

I just made an account to tell you that you're fucking retarded. Why are you so vehemently against the possibility that occasionally going without food (like hunter gatherers did) is good for you?

...wut?

Some studies show that only eating within like a 10 hour gap gives your body more time or whatever to process everything and it can boost muscle mass growth
I don't know what those studies are but I know where I got them from

I've been doing it for four years. I fast for 72-80 hours a week (Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday) and thoroughly enjoy food afterward. I never have to think about what I shouldn't eat (go out with my friends whenever and eat junk food) because I never seem to be able to overcompensate for the days I have fasted.
I'm a bit of a foodie and I like to try new things all of the time so my diet is very diverse and I think is the reason why I haven't had problems with malnutrition.

I came here to ask about fasting, glad I found a thread already made as I was afraid I was going to sound stupid or use the board wrong.

I'm not an active person and at the moment I am not focusing on getting lean or fit, just slimming down. I was curious about fasting. I've been told right out starving yourself will cause your body to store more fat, but I was wondering if maybe taking two or three days out of the week not to eat and not back to back would help me slim down outside of going for daily walks.

I figured that my problem with my weight is Im not active enough to take in any amount over the calories to survive.

For the record I'm 6'2 and about 340 pounds, and from websites I viewed I vairy from overweight and obese. Though I don't see it, if I don't start now, I will start seeing it.

does l-carnitine work?
First cut is 1 month deep and I see no changes at all. Got some real cheap and popped the first pills now

No, i eat 4 meals under 200cal per meal per day. It doesn't break the fast

lmao xD

>I've been told right out starving yourself will cause your body to store more fat,
Where so you expect your body to get the fat from?! Produce it out of thin air?

No, fasting is fine, people did it since forever.

Especially if the person ist as fat as you are.
And it's fine for already build people too, maybe not for the ultra lean 12% bodyfat guys...

I started a full fast on Monday 76,6kg@172cm
As of today I weigh 72,8kg.
I haven't deloaded anywhere, no strengthloss whatsoever.
My job requires me to walk for 8hours straight too.

Some say there is only a limited number of fat your body can burn per day but I say that's bullshit, at least for fat people.

Even if true for leaner people like me I still had to get rid of that water/glycogen in my muscle/liver anyway, so why not kickstart the diet with a fast and after that continue with a moderate deficit?

?

What's your job user?
Sounds like a pretty fun job.

It's true actually.
You can only mobilize a certain amount of fat from your body.
It's like 20-30calories per kilo of bodyfat or something.

And when you add in the fact that obese people will always use their stored fat for energy...

Fat people can easily go on a near starvation diet with only the minimum amount of proteins and micro nutrients and be perfectly fine and as energetic as ever..unless they fucked up and made themselves hypoglycemic or pre-diabetic.

Skinnier people and people who are in the normal athletic range of bodyfat can't actually do that for long periods.
They don't have the fat for it. So they'll have to be more careful and mindful of their diets.
It is possible to do a short two week PSMF and burn off a lot of fat, but you do run the risk of burning off a bit of muscle as well and feeling like absolute shit.

Starving yourself as in not enough calories will make your body hold onto fat because your body needs certain levels of fat to function. But IF is not necessarily "starving" yourself. You're good as long as you get cal/ nutrients

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_picking

Not fun at all, but the contract I'm on pays well and no one minds if I have earphones plugged in, so I get through the day listening to audio books.
It's only temporary though :)
What has it to do with starving yourself then?
The body will hold on to fat that it needs to finction regardsless of the deficit.
But I'm nowhere near that limit, I can barely see the two upper packs of my abs.

So do you IF for one day and eat the next and repeat or what?

You have no idea what you are talking about. 10 calories is enough to break the fast.

whoa whoa whoa....

YOu're only supposed to eat once? I've been eating twice in my 8 hours, so basically just skipping breakfast.

It really doesn't matter how many times you eat. It's the total number of hours fasted that counts. Eating once a day just means you get more time fasted.

>Starving yourself as in not enough calories will make your body hold onto fat because your body needs certain levels of fat to function.

what are you banging on about?

the body doesn't "decide" its really important to keep the fat-stores to avoid starvation in the future, and ignore the immediate need to avoid hypoglycemic coma.

this is why parents shouldn't let their kids major in gender studies... they don't understand science and can't think logically.

m...made an account? is this a meme? did i fall for bait?