Planks

Do you do them? How good are they? I can hold out to about 40 to 50 seconds.
My routine consists of squats, lifting, planks and pushups. Have home gym, don't judge too much.

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4096102/
youtube.com/watch?v=EtO0CutfR8Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

A normal strength male should be able to hold a plank for 2 minutes.

Work your way up to that then start doing body saws, weighted planks, and some knees to elbows

I do them at home either before or after the gym.

Feel daft as fuck doing them in the gym.

>doing bw exercise at the gym
Kek.

This actually isn't true. Most people do planks incorrectly, putting the stress on their shoulders. In this case, yes, 2 minutes is to be expected, but correct form planks, with squeezed glutes are much tougher.

I can do it for 1 minute, are you calling me weak?

This is what I figure. The way I see it if I don't feel the pressure on my stomach and back and instead feel pressure on my arms, then I'm doing it wrong.

If you can't do it for 2 minutes you are weaker than the average male. This is according to normative data collected by physical therapists (professionals who know what a plank should look like) for the purpose of back pain pre-habilitation.

The research is statistically valid. I'll see if I can pull up the info for you guys

If this hurts your feelings, suck it up

What if I'm smarter than the average bear?

this isnt the article i was talking about but gives you an idea.

I'd say anything less than 90 seconds is exceptionally weak for men. Anything less than 60 is weak for women.

It certainly puts you at a higher risk for back pain.

>study about young college students
>86% of them had an activity level of at least '1-2 times/week'
>body weight 70.2 +/- 0.8
yeah, from that study you can totally infer data about the average male.

This study seems fishy for allot of reasons, but I do think that 2 minutes is a strong goal to reach.

you what?
males: n = 194, age 20.4 ± 0.2 years, body height 179.4 ± 0.5 cm, body mass 81.1 ± 1.2 kg

80kgs seems like a pretty average male body weight? I'm sorry your so painfully below average user, but lets not get all butthurt because the literature proves you wrong.

There are plenty of other normative studies out there that say the same thing. Look up Stuart McGills research on the topic. Some of his articles float around on /plg/

2 minutes isnt that hard, I did it a few years back at 78kg. I trained weight crunches and russian twists all summer as my ab work and then the football team had a competition to see who could plank the longest so I think having that motivation helped a lot. Some dude who did muai thai on the side did like a 10 min plank.

Anyway I do planks as part of my core work now. I do 12 crunches, 30 russian twists, 30 second plank, take about 1 min break, repeat 2 more times. It's enough to stave of the anterior pelvic tilt.

learn what those +/- values mean and you may understand why that study isn't worth a lot.

40 seconds? that is fucking pathetic I am a skeleton and I can do 4min which isnt even impressive there are people who can go double that

like I said, there are plenty of other studies out there. this one happens to have a wide variance of data. Don't make me spoonfeed you.

if you're happy with your 50 second plank time go have fun heavy lifting and hurting yourself.

OP here. I'm not debating you user. I am aware that 50 seconds is not much. I started working out not to long ago and I'm not ashamed to know where I am. Hopefully in a few months I can reach 2 minutes.

Is it normal that I feel most of the stress in my lowerback and abs during planks?
I don't feel glutes and all and my glutes are super weak, moreso than my abs should be
I try to get the form right but I dont really know what else to do other than to flex everything to try to be straight

Why the fuck would you plank for 4 min though? That is fucking boring. Are you shitposting of Veeky Forums while doing planks?

I do them on the rare occasion I lift with a friend so I have someone to put plates on my (lower) back. Fuck unweighted planks. Most I've done is 40kg for 1 minute.

youtube.com/watch?v=EtO0CutfR8Y

/thread

I've been doing planks wrong for months. THIS helped tremendiously. Gains through the roof.

For how long can you hold out?

longest was 3 minutes before literally collapsing and drenched with sweat

yeah idk 1 minute and a half when I'm motivated

I find doing a plank for longer than a minute incredibly boring. I'll normally do a set of 1 minute plank, 45 side planks both sides, then another minute plank. Then do harder exercises like hanging leg raises and hollow holds. Sure I could probably do a 2+ minute plank but why should I?

>yfw posting this post