Any and all cues welcome

In this thread we talk specifically about cues that were "aha" moments for you, unusual cues that have helped you, cues that messed you up, and just cues in general.

I find that in learning to lift, a shotgun approach to research is the most effective. Many different people might have totally different ways of describing the same thing, and some things work better for you than others in terms of understanding the concept.

So bring it on, Veeky Forums, what are the best cues?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VoyvO7xFv_Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

good thread, will get 0 replies

Yeah, bumping because lowbar hurts my elbows and bench tires out my low back.

For lat pulldowns,imagine that your hands are hooks and close your eyes.Also grip the bar with the thumb over it not under it.That'll activate your lats alright.
For bench press,try to put your scapulas in your back pocket and keep them there.

Lean forward on the low bar squat. This was such a fucking eye opening moment when I first did it. I never heard this said and I've heard the opposite of it quite often, but when you're low bar squatting, you have to lean forward or you're fucking up the biomechanics of the movement. It's just part of the movement. If you don't do it, you most likely will get pinned at the bottom. Most people do it naturally but if you don't you have to focus on it first.

Try this video
youtube.com/watch?v=VoyvO7xFv_Y

Don't have any interesting but need one for bicep work.
I never get DOMS from it but my brachialis hurts like a bitch (or maybe the tendon). What am I fucking up, I 100% do full range of motion.

Learning how to brace propperly and using wide stance on squats and deadlifts.
those 2 was a game changer. I couldnt deadlift properly with normal stance. Once i got it wider than normal it became easy. Same goes for squats.
I would lose all my power in the hole then slowly get up. Took a wider stance and braced roperly and now i got no issue with it at all.

Do I have to lean forward enough to give the bar an almost totally level surface to rest on? Because I do lean forward much more than usual, but I still have to create tension with my arms to keep the bar on my back. At higher weight, this kills my elbows.

Are you doing curls with a straight bar? Depending on your grip width, you might be putting a lot of strain on your elbows. Try using dumbbells and and start neutral at the bottom and supinate at the top. Try out concentration curls and preacher curls too.

For deadlifts, all I think is "get your dick as close to the wall as fast as you can."

Basically it makes sure my hips are always trying to move in the right direction.

I find that it takes a lot of hip strength to keep my knees over my feet when I widen my stance. I can't recruit my quads and hams enough because I'm limited by my ability to keep my knees over my feet.

I've heard of elbow pain from squats being associated with lack of flexibility in the chest and shoulders, try using a wider grip

In the first part of the snatch or clean, I find it helps to keep a straight bar path if you think of it as pulling the bar toward the ceiling, instead of away from the floor.

What curls are you doing? And you better fucking figure out if it's your tendon that's hurting

>Do I have to lean forward enough to give the bar an almost totally level surface to rest on?
Yes, but that doesn't mean your torso is parallel to the floor. For me it's somewhere around 45 degree, but it's different depending on your build.

btw, the bar should be resting on your rear delts, which should build a shelf that's big enough to keep the bar, but if you have short femurs and long torso, you might be too upright even on a low bar squat. I would suggest switching to high bar in this case, since it fits your build better.

if you have an issue thats caused by a narrow stance then you just need time to get more flexibility to do widestance properly.

But if you dont have an issue thats stacne width dependent then there is no reason to do it.

On OHP keep your head straight and do not move it. Don't look up, don't look to the sides or even down; just look straight forward. Helps if you're doing in front of a mirror so you can stare yourself in the eye. Also make sure the bar is getting as close as possible to your face without touching it.

Nah, I have to focus on tucking my chin back, or I'm always scratching my nose with the bar.

There should be almost no effort to keep the bar on your back. I take a thumbless grip and let just the weight of my hands keep the bar in place. You just need to create a proper shelf, and it will get easier as you get more muscle.

>t. bird of prey

This requires a crazy angle for me. Are muscle size and leanness necessary for holding the bar?

I have bonkers mobility, though. It feels like tension is the only thing keeping the bar on my back.

>This requires a crazy angle for me.
Like I said, if you feel that leaning forward a lot doesn't fit your body type, you really should consider high bar squatting.
>Are muscle size and leanness necessary for holding the bar?
I don't think so.

Is this what jeff cavaliere means when he says that you should "keep your hips square", when squatting?