Daily reminder that heavy lifting is not sustainable

Daily reminder that heavy lifting is not sustainable

Other urls found in this thread:

hsph.harvard.edu/news/features/construction-workers-struggle-with-pain-stress-from-injuries/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Nice strawman

Not sure if i should be worried

Honestly I agree.

415 lb deadlift at age 23 is no big deal. At age 33, it's REALLY hard on the body. Ten years makes a big difference.

I love powerlifting, but I've switched to a low weight / high rep plan, exactly for this reason.

I'm 28 just starting out.
Is it too late?

Unless you plan to roid up and deadlift 800+ with no regard for form, the odds of you ending up the former are exceedingly remote.

>world records
vs
>roiding for girls

lions and sheep etc.

don't try to use logical fallacies if you don't know what they are

this is so far off a strawman if you're not trying to be ironic you're a fuckin retard.

bodybuilding > weightlifting > strongman > crossfit > powerlifting
Its a simple fact

Apples and GMO wheat

He's 60
Lifting extremely heavy weights is hard on the skeletal system? Is this news to anyone?
Do construction or something for 30+ years and odds are your body will be in far worse shape than this guy.
But there's something to be said for getting the most you can out of lower weights

im going to kill myself when i turn 30 so it's all ok

>every fatass powerlifter sets world records

fucking delusional fatty how many world records have you set yet?

protip: i fucked 8 girls ONLY because of my body, that means "roiding for girls" achieved 8 times more then your fat powerlifting ass.

The guy on the left is in his 20s

That's Jr on the left, not Sr. He's not that old.

My bad guys. I'm retarded

There is a diffrence between weightlifting and powerlifting?

The problem isn't heavy lifting it's the stupid fad of powerlifting aka using far more weight than you can handle using momentum to shift it. These fat faggots would be crushed by half the weight they use if they did a strict 10-second rep ATG squat.

Yes. The former is a sport

lmao shitposter forgets to mention that only 4 weeks later he's picking up heavy fucking weights again

it's almost as if injuries are temporary 99.9% of the time

i've torn an acl and I'm back squatting 3plates a year later

enjoy not being able to walk without painkillers past the age of 40

gonna kill myself when im 30 anyway so it's all kosher

>implying advances in medical science won't turn us all into adam jensen in 10 years

Isn't Ronnie Coleman a cripple now?

Isn't that Frank Zane on the right? he was well known for incorporating powerlifting into his routine..

yes

He's fine now, but he was really banged up for a while. That's the cost of needing hip replacement surgery. You can come back from it just fine given enough rehab work and time but it sucks hardcore in the short term.

Yeah, and both he and Nubret had extraordinarily strong stats in the big three. It's almost as though this is a regularly posted bait thread.

I DIDN'T ASK FOR THIS ALTHOUGH SOME OF MY WORK IS IN THIS FIELD

>that fucking calf

I think he's saying that if you just roid for girls you won't face the same problems as you would if you were lifting for world records

yeah power lifting isn't fitness. not sure why people think that. also you dont build strength by going to failure.

You are comparing an athlete injuring himself to two men who spent their lives parading around g strings promoting exercise.

>focusing on ToT
>putting the cart before the horse
Pick both

>athlete

Bbers do eavy squats and deads. OPs argument is invalid.
Protip: baby steps forgoe autism amd don't lift more than you can easily lift.

>8 times 0 is still 0

is there even any proof that its unsustainable? The thing with those working in construction (which probably have the most amount of longer term injuries) is that they do not have them at a 100% ratio. There is reason to believe that a proper form will mitigate any complaint one could have over long term lifting.

People in construction don't use lifting form at all. I knew some experienced young labourers and they were all on painkillers and completely destroyed every day.
Irony is labourers will all say doing manual labour is better than the gym.

retard

the advantage of being on the internet so much, and reading so much stuff is that you sometimes can find tertiary evidence pieces to support or to intermingle with certain topics.

The problem however that this paper was kinda old and I cant easily find it back.

But yea, it would disprove the position very easily of OP most likely.

One would also have to get into the details a bit as certain nations have certain laws, for example surrounding the maximum weight of concrete bags.

So construction work would most likely be comparable to most dumbbell work, but to heavier lifting like deadlifts, or squats it may start to be less of importance to.

Still though, I remember very clearly that the injury rate for construction workers was not 100%, so that means that people who worked their whole lives in construction, sometimes do not have any problems at all at an old age. This idea is probably the reason why I do not worry that much at all about weight lifting and doing it throughout my life.

If anyone wants to I could do some effort to find that piece back.

Agree with OP, all you gym buffs will be dead in apocalypse 2.0. Quit consuming 3000 calories a day and start flipping tires in a gasmask.

well that was easy lol

hsph.harvard.edu/news/features/construction-workers-struggle-with-pain-stress-from-injuries/

If you're reading this you're probably never gonna lift as heavy or as often as a Lilliebridge.

>Nearly 40% of construction workers over the age of 50 reported suffering from back pain

see lol, my memory was quite nice in this regard, below 50%.

>pain

obviously perhaps not meaning that the endoskeleton, the muscles and the tendons are not degraded. But if there is no pain, perhaps one could "use" the body within the natural lifespan normally with weight lifting.

Weightlifting makes you stronger into old age not weaker. There is no downside to exercise.

It also lengthens your lifespan.

well it seems obvious to us, but to the outsider, or the newly initiated into all of this there needs to be proof. And we also sometimes may be wrong still you know.

There are a huge amounts of benefits alone from weight lifting indeed, from testosterone, to age protection, to the hormones that it provides to speed up recovery for other sports.

even if it did damage you the price would still most likely be worth it somewhat. Plus the added fact that stem cell research and other things may be accelerating to fix you in that age is also a thing.

But yea, the liberal argument, for his dumb and cuck lifestyle really is moot. And we are most likely dealing with those who hate the idea of exercising and increasing strength in the first place.

My nigga, me too, thinking about walking into traffic wbu?

enjoy surviving

also to add to that, for my nation, the netherlands there is this

>Bouwvakkers klagen in toenemende mate over de fysieke belasting van hun werk. Ruim 70 procent van de werknemers op de bouwplaats ervaart zijn werk als lichamelijk inspannend. Bijna de helft van de bouwvakkers moet regelmatig zware lasten verplaatsen. Meer dan een derde heeft klachten aan het bewegingsapparaat. Dit blijkt uit onderzoek van Arbouw. (Bron

>only 1/3 experience backpain

the next thing would be to try to understand the different labor laws between the nations lol?

>hsph.harvard.edu/news/features/construction-workers-struggle-with-pain-stress-from-injuries/

>research was done in construction sites in new england.

difficult to find something like the maximum weight of a concrete bag over there, kek.

for the netherlands there is a super autistic approach to it all, for the whole of europe even kek, with formula of all sorts.

And the mandated limit seems to be at 23 kilo's

and thats at 1/3 of injury rate

No, it's cherry picking if it's any logical fallacy. You must be 18 to post here.

and one would also need to know if that 23 kilo limit was made during the older people who suffer from that, or that before. Many such variables to consider really. Hard to tell for some lonely user.

Using an outliers as the both negative and positive, purporting them as the mean for the basis for an argument is not strawman.

>(you)

20 kilos is nothing. Labourers overload more that that though they pile up big loads at a time on their shoulder. Just scooping it up strongman style. This is why they hurt themselves.

> bodybuilders don't lift heavy

listen fag, just because you struggle to squat 2pl8 doesn't mean that all bodybuilders do as well

4/10 bait, made me reply

that could probably explain it yea, and the reason why gov has set limits on the bags, because they are retarded and dont have a good form.

Which means that at the very least, there is a high probability of dumbbells, all of the dumbbell exercises being okay to do.

It also gives rise to the idea that a good form could also make diddly lifts pretty ok. Though I read that as you age, the recovery rate is reduced, but the recovery rate goes over the short term damage that you do. Meaning that there is most likely no long term damage that you can inflict with a proper form, and proper buildup.

so this argument of op is somewhat dismissed.

Yep, heavyweight gyms are sort of an ego-lift thing. Before the 1960's bodybuilders were focusing on lower weights more reps (like 100 reps).

The hillarious thing is that heavy lifters usually have no cardio, endurance, flexibility of other usefull sideefects of workingout.

My deadlift was five plate at 33. Started lifting seriously at 31.

Only possible with roids
Natties gotta lift heavy

I'm in the camp that likes squats and deadlifts but I'm not so delusional to believe that you can't gain the same strength gains by substituting different, safer lifts.

Instead of squats and deadlifts, you could easily just do higher rep leg press, back extensions, forearm isolation, and trap/rear delt work.

Yes, it will take more time to do 4-5 exercises instead of 2, but it'd probably be safer for an older guy.

No, they lifted heavily as well.
Lifting heavy and what most gear heads and newb lifters today consider relatively heavy weights for high reps was how they built strength and mass.
Old man strength, not gym and powerlifting lift heavy for an hour while on assfulls of gear then have to ride a walmart motorized cart around because they don't have the endurance for anything else strength.

Yesterday as I felt a little twinge in my left elbow benching, and watched another guy benching 400ish I thought "200lbs of force pressing down on each elbow/shoulder....that can't really good".

Really made me think