/Run/ General - Spring in Your Step Edition

Spring is coming, is your angus ready for the best running season to kick into gear?

ITT
>Couch to 5K Fags
>Muh Shin Splints
>Shoe Schills
>Marathon Freakz

Other urls found in this thread:

e-hentai.org/g/761968/90c0419d83/
jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/411692
youtube.com/watch?v=R2_Mn-qRKjA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>dad used to be a marathon runner
>knee cartilage is now non existent
I'll just swim instead you fucken twinks.

>try running several times in my life
>each time I stop for the same problem
>fucking cramp on my right abdomen
EVERY TIME!
SEND HELP!

>dad is 60
>runs 3 half marathons in the desert over 3 days
>I am 30
>can barely break 2 miles without slowing down
How unlock running skill?

hernia
e
r
n
i
a

Source? Or links to other fitness centered mangas?

>tfw knee pain
I'll just bike until it's warm enough to swim

how about you ask your actual dad instead of random dyel strangers on the net?
what the fuck is wrong with this generation

Uhh i dunno user
maybe
just maybe
hmm
what could it be

have you tried running?

mangas lol

I fucking love my genes when it comes to running and training in general. Growing up I did never ever play any sports, I did never work out, I skipped P.E. and I was always the weakest kid everywhere. Today I can run 7 miles without problems and it didn't take me much to get here.

I swear on fucking god, If I started running as a kid I would be an olympic gold medalist runner today. Fucking sad.

>Started running in Feb of 2015
>Hated myself for being slow
>forgot about original goal to lose weight and be fast
>just focused on being a better runner
>time passes
>lots of running gains
>Deal with most common beginning-runner problems like shin splints
>Do proper research and overcome instead of declaring myself injuring or declaring running to be a bad thing
>consistent sub-19min 5k now
>tfw breaking into the 18 minute range
>Really enjoy the 5k distance. I don't run much farther except for 10k "long days" once a week at a slow pace
>I'm getting bretty fast so I might join a race soon

I could probably answer questions and give helpful advice to newbie or prospective runners. Though I'm sure my post will be generally ignored, please remember to reference your actual goal (weight loss, speed, endurance, etc) when you ask a question or describe your situation.

did you know that you can reverse search images directly from here? there's this tiny little arrow right from the post number, you can click it. You should try sometime faggot.

e-hentai.org/g/761968/90c0419d83/

What worked for me was running slowly (able to maintain conversation). Don't be embarrassed about looking slow as hell.. no one cares. Running slowly builds up the muscles and cardiovascular base you will need to start increasing your mileage and pace.

>give helpful advice to newbie or prospective runners.
I want to start running but I've heard some scary shit. Give me some basic tips so I won't hurt myself

Run Girl Run

I'm going to run my first half marathon, excited!

>Muh Shin Splints
Srsly though chronic compartment syndrome stopped me joining the military

I can barely run a mile

>haven't run in over a month due to anxiety of people seeing me
>too poor to afford a treadmill

>anxious as fuck to do cardio outside or swimming pool
>don't care about doing cardio in the gym
It's all in my head really

>left foot significantly weaker than right
>used to be able to run 5-10miles daily but with bad form
>finally decide to fix form
>cant run more than half a mile without left foot hurting/tiring out

wut do

>tfw used to run 20 minute 5k
>stopped running because I got really busy really quickly and it stayed that way for a few years
>now can barely run 3k in 20 minutes without feeling dead

I'm going to unfuck myself, Veeky Forums, give me some good running music and a prayer

thanks m8, too bad I can't read chinese, but looking at the pictures it was a neat story

Just run at night, it's what I do to avoid people seeing me

I ran a 5 mile race yesterday wo training at all and now the bottom of my right foot is killing me. It hurts on the bottom of my foot on the outside part. How can i make it heal faster its preventing me from doing all lifts where i have to stand

I am obese. Will running bust my fucking knees?

That's what I've been doing, too. I feel like it makes me look even more autistic though because who the fuck runs at night.

A 19 minute 5k would barely get you a JV CC team.

I've mostly been lifting for a few months, maybe warming up with some brisk walking on the treadmill if I catch a ride/bus in, otherwise I get my legs worked out by walking to the gym.

I tried jogging to my friends' place around the corner last night just to see and I made it surprisingly far. Only, I had awful shoes on for running, so I shocked the crap out of my shins and ankles, so I'll wait until I have a good pair of runners before going for a real run.

Yup.
Go on a strict diet and power walk/swim and do daily calisthenics, big-un.

me

>me
this post had a slight emotional impact on me, on a deep level. thank you user, I might stop being a pussy and start running again. sorry for autism.

Set a distance goal. If you can run two miles, set your goal at three.

Run as far as you can -> slow down -> walk/run the rest -> Cool Down. Do this until can run your distance goal.

This really helps with the mental aspect of it, if you're only used to doing two miles, by the end of that and extra mile sounds like a huge task. Once you're used to actually exercising for as long it takes to hit your distance goal, it becomes much easier.

Routine to get a sub 20min 5k?

>tfw turned down playing football in HS because i "didn't like sports"

If i could time travel i'd bully my younger self into making something of himself, christ.

Also on the topic of running, i just got some super minimalist running shoes, how long will it take my muscles to stop being sore from having to run in these, since it changes my stride so much?

How do i not get bored doing LISS work? I want to be able to do both distance running and sprints, and i love doing HIIT stuff and getting faster over those periods, but when i turn down the speed and work on endurance/time, i just get fucking bored within 2 minutes or so

running on a treadmill for what it's worth though

I switched to those (fila skeletoes i think) back in highschool xc and it took less than a month for me to stop getting calf soreness. But i was running like 6 days a week prob averaging 6 miles or so a day

I smoke weed every mile or 2 on my long runs

woof, alright, i guess ill just hang in there then, i just got a pair of these (Tesla BK30s) about a week ago so i've still got some adjusting to do

i don't think the other members of my gym would appreciate that very much

i used to smoke before runs and whenever i didnt smoke i got winded super quick. go figure

Well then thats why youre bored, youre on a god damn treadmill. Find a nice trail or run outside

I had this problem and I found it was because I tried to run like I'd lift or do HIIT, constantly trying to push myself until the end. You can't do that for 40 minutes or its hell.

Now I either put on some downtempo tunes or podcasts and just kind of let my mind drift and it becomes almost meditative.
Try to stay away from the treadmill as much as possible, the best part of running is being outside. If you have to use one, try not looking down at the timer for as long as possible.

Work on your abs, drink more water

Well yeah

"Eleven of 12 challenge studies found an association between short-term marijuana administration and bronchodilation (eg, increases of 0.15-0.25 L in forced expiratory volume in 1 second)."

jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/411692

Sounds like the body knows what its doing and wants more weed smoke

run for however long it takes for the weakest part to give up. It'll get stronger

>running
lmaoing at ur life faggot, jump rope masterrace with yuuuuuuge calves here

Can anyone help me out?

>3 years ago used to run all the time, ~10 mile easy mode, no problems at all
>took a break for a year or so, did some other exercises, became MUCH fitter
>been trying to run again for about a year now, every time I try, no matter how slow I go I get crippling pain in my lower legs

How can I get past this, it makes no sense.

This used to happen to me. Always prevented it by thoroughly stretching my core, especially the obliques.

I run track, i got tendonitis, but im running again

what kind of pain, where

maybe your form went to shit after the hiatus?

>tan lines on a fit loli

Yessss

People who work odd hours and can't find another time to do it. People will just think you have that type of job.

What's up with the c25k site? Don't want to install the fucking app, just want to use the plan, but I can't find it anywhere.

been running a lot more. today i started to squat and at light warming up weight my groin suddenly hurt. dont know but i think its the running's fault

I can't run because I get this terrible pain on the inside of my left kneecap. Originally they thought it was a pinched nerve or I ran too much too quickly. Like really bad debilitating pain that if I stop running completely it takes WEEKS to go away.

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the fact that my left hip kind of pops in and out of place every time I move it on the same side where my knee hurts. I've tried stretching, different shoes, warmups, everything.

I'm assuming I'm going to have to get a hip replacement at my ripe old age of 30.

Feels fucking bad since running would be easy shit if it just didn't hurt so damn bad.

Bros, I went running for the first time this year the other day. I got up at 6am, stretched, had a protein shake and ran like I was chasing gains. Six blocks later I could feel my heart in my throat and it hurt to take deep slow breaths. About five minutes later I vomited my protein shake into the road as I watched the sunrise. I'll eventually get better at this right?

Yes. It gets easier but you have to do it everyday.

youtube.com/watch?v=R2_Mn-qRKjA

shouldve ran on an empty stomach and drank your protons after

>late 2013
>in usmc boot
>making progress with platoon on 2mi run before 3mi PFT
>every single other run I'd done it was fucking hard because I never gained weight in boot, they should've put me on triple rats
>but for that one run, even though we did 9-10 other runs and hikes up in Pendleton the week after, I felt way less tired after the first mile, felt confident, and was passing other recruits for the entire run, and it felt fucking amazing
>I thought I'd finally unlocked my running potential
> every single run after that was the same 'I'm going to fucking die' feeling after 2mi at the pace we did

What the fuck happened? Why was that one run so easy and so nice compared to every other one? What did I do right? I don't understand but if I felt like that every run I would be so much more cool with running daily.

>tfw best pace was 3mi/20min

how not fat do i have to be before I start running?
(6'0, 212 lbs)

You can start immediately.
The thing about running is the only way to get better is to simply run more. The other thing about running is that no matter how much your body hurts during a run, it will be able to keep going. You literally can run until you pass out, anything else is you choosing to stop. You may be dying inside, your lungs on fucking fire, calves begging for death, feeling like you can absolutely NOT GO ANOTHER STEP, but you easily can.
The human body is designed to adapt. If you tell your brain to adapt to continuing to put one foot in front of the other, you simply will keep running. The only time you physically cannot keep running is when you pass the fuck out.

Tldr - motivation is bullshit. Just force your body to move, to lift, to pull, to work and it WILL DO what you force it to do. Determination beats motivation every single time.

How am I supposed to run outside if niggers and latinos try to mug you all day long? (Serious post) Although I do run on the treadmill in the nearby gym but I much prefer doing it outside.

I'm ready. My goal is to cut 5 minutes off my 10mi from last year. I'm starting earlier this year so I think it's easily doable to hit 7:20 pace.

What are they going to steal from you? All I run with is my house key.

why not get a concealed carry license and a compact handgun or even just a little thing of mace?

Some of the fuckers will stop you even if don't even have pockets and some like to go the extra mile and knock you out with a bullet.

went for my first jog today, made it 1.7km in 13 minutes based on what my phone's telling me.
i don't think thats half bad considering my only other exercise is about 20 minutes of light walking per day. is this fairly average for a first timer?
also, whats everyones daily route like for time/distance?

thats about a mile yeah? I'd say it's alright for a first timer if you havent ever run seriously or havent run in a while.

I always get pissed off with my younger self for quitting swimming because I didn't like the early mornings

just run even faster?

Do we have a generic running distance to amount of calories burnt?
I run 3-4 km/day for a few weeks now but my weight barely reduces.

>static stretching before a run
>drinking/eating right before a run

Nigga u wat. Dynamic warmup and give yourself at least an hour after eating to run. If I run in the morning I might eat a piece of fruit (only for longer runs though) but even then I give myself like 30 mins at least. And don't ever do static stretching before a workout, do a dynamic warmup (google it)

Could've just been the pace bro, who knows. A lot of inexperienced runners have trouble judging how fast they're going. Could've also just been your level of fatigue on that particular day because of IT/general boot camp fuckery. Your body does weird shit. I was a pretty good runner before boot camp, but I remember when I got out and was on boot leave I went on a run and just did not get tired. I ended up running like 12 miles that day for no reason. In go fasters. And a skivvie shirt. I was probably wearing my dog tags too. God I was such a fucking boot.

3-4km ain't shit my dude. You're maybe burning 200 calories at that distance.

Yeah man that's about a mile, it's not a great time but you obviously shouldn't get discouraged on your first run. Keep increasing the distance and speed and you're gonna see gains in no time. Throw in some interval work too. Since your body isn't used to running you want to get the most cardio you can on the fewest miles, otherwise you might get an injury.

Do HIIT runs with maybe one or two endurance runs per week. Ideally you should be doing other kinds of cardio too, like swimming, rowing, or biking if you have access to it. Low impact cardio is gonna save your shins and joints, and build better overall muscular endurance.

>12 miles in go-fasters

I would be fucking begging for death. Those shoes actually are around $70 a pair and they're not terrible, but something about boot just wrecked mine. It's like MCRD is a time vortex where everything hurts more and wears out faster

the amount burned is massively dependant on how fast he did it and how hard he felt it was.

Just run through it, pain fades in about 2 to 5 minutes

I actually really liked my go fasters for running believe it or not. I ran a marathon in them my boot year in the fleet and then I starting catching too much shit for PTing in them around base so I was forced to ditch them.

What's your MOS debbil

Which kind of running is best for a competitive kick-boxer?

Fights are 3 rounds of 2 minutes so I decided to run on an elyptical bike with decent resistance for 13 minutes, 4 sprints of 2 minutes and 1 minute slow run inbetween each sprint to catch my breath while still running.

But actually i've no idea if it's useful or not.

I do Muay Thai and it's normal long tours of pure jogging normally, but I switch it up and do interval running as well when a fight is nearing.

>Which kind of running
Every kind

Zone out and JUST DO IT