/bwg/

Bodyweight General

New to bodyweight exercises, been doing it on rest days/days I can't get to the gym.

Will make a post with name as OP to explain what I've been doing and my stats.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JRmsDjMujjo
youtube.com/watch?v=xAERZd8XtgQ
youtube.com/watch?v=tsC9ahsCGLc
youtube.com/watch?v=nQqvGITfqmg
youtube.com/watch?v=_E21jlKax8M
youtube.com/watch?v=mUMoD-5P_Bo
youtube.com/watch?v=pIv-gcCnzys
youtube.com/watch?v=vA9gCDkvFZ8
youtube.com/user/GymnasticBodies
library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/13_03_Parallettes.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=aEIa2gKlM5k
youtube.com/watch?v=jfI9ig7sUA0
youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_3454893989&feature=iv&src_vid=6lnCP4z_dGk&v=BRBVKxMb1RQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'm a recovering fatty
170lbs, ~18% bodyfat, 5'8 (pls don't bully the fat manlet)
I have insanely weak lats (well everything is pretty weak but my lats are relatively weaker than everything else)

Bodyweight maxes are:
12 chest dips
45 pushups/30sec
8 chin-ups
4 pull-ups
8 handstand pushups

I haven't tested maxes for squats or tricep dips (like pic related not on a machine) because I can do a fuckload and don't do them often enough to count.

Will post what I've been doing for a routine in another reply because I need to show an image.

What I've been doing throughout the day.

All of it is pretty spread out throughout the day because it's mostly just so I don't feel like shit about not going to the gym.

Handstand pushups, 4-6 reps, maybe 10 times throughout the day. (I do a lot of sets because they're fun as fuck)
Chest dips using the backs of two chairs, about 6 reps, maybe 4 times throughout the day (it's tricky to keep the fronts of the chairs from coming up)
Tricep dips like in about 15 reps maybe 3 times throughout the day
Pullups with a grip like pic related, but further out and angled to be more like a pullup than a chinup with a pair of double doors in my hallway, about 3 reps maybe 4 times throughout the day. (it's wood with an edge so it fucking hurts my hands)
10 pushups about 5 times a day (not very much and doesn't tire me at all but the pushups are more out of boredom than anything)
Sometimes I do a few "plate raises" with a wooden chair.

I wish i had a pullup bar so I could do proper pullups and do some chinups too but I'm a lazy NEET.

>Overcoming your BodyWeight
youtube.com/watch?v=JRmsDjMujjo
youtube.com/watch?v=xAERZd8XtgQ
youtube.com/watch?v=tsC9ahsCGLc
youtube.com/watch?v=nQqvGITfqmg

>2016 Olympics highlights
youtube.com/watch?v=_E21jlKax8M

>What is gravity lul
youtube.com/watch?v=mUMoD-5P_Bo
youtube.com/watch?v=pIv-gcCnzys

>Skinny grills with asses

youtube.com/watch?v=vA9gCDkvFZ8

>Websites

gymnasticbodies.com/forum
antranik.org/bodyweight-training
globalbodyweighttraining.com
startbodyweight.com
/r/bodyweightfitness
fitloop.co

>Youtube Channels

youtube.com/user/GymnasticBodies

>Safest Static Hold Progression

Steady State Cycles: www.antranik.org/how-to-implement-a-steady-state-training-cycle

>Common Prereqs

www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/3750-prerequisites/?p=93540

>Wrists mobility

Foundation Handstand One

>Bicep Tendon Prep

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaH_HUMooyM

>Scooby teaches you how to do a pull Up

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRznU6pzez0

>How to make parallettes out of PVC

library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/13_03_Parallettes.pdf

>Foundation series (4 books + 2 Handstand + Rings)

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:39d3d785f7c6df583af2fa846646a74b3d256cac&dn=Coach Christopher Sommer Mastering Gymnastic Strength Training 2014&tr=udp://tracker.coppersurfer.tk:6969/announce&tr=udp://tracker.leechers-paradise.org:6969/announce&tr=udp://tracker.mg64.net:6969/announce&tr=udp://tracker.opentrackr.org:1337/announce&tr=udp://tracker.sktorrent.net:6969/announce

>Overcoming gravity

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:ad0739445c9cc5177e2b48c6f216521e8c8ddff4&dn=Overcoming+Gravity+%28gnv64%29&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fzer0day.ch%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fpublic.popcorn-tracker.org%3A6969

>FAQ

>is my routine good?
if it has no progression, you are just doing cardio and maintaining

Left side is the exercise, right side is the mobility for that exercise, you do mobility between reps

FSAS - Fundamental Straight Arm Strength
FBAS - Fundamental Bent Arm Strength
FLS - Fundamental Leg Strength

the numbers like 5x60s means mastery for the movement, in this case you look at 60s/60rep template and follow that progression, once you hit mastery (can do 5x60s) you move to the next level

for negative movements, 5x5x10s means you descend for 10s each rep

>SL
SL progression seems to be different from PDF's

sooo
you do
3 triceps exercises and only two biceps?
and what is a chest dip?

the fuck you doing, holy shit, stop, don't rest more than 5mins after each set, you are not working out, you are just physically active

from last OP
to the guy doing Foundation and 5x10r push ups, the mastery is 15reps

im not looking to work out it's just keeping active and keeping my muscles warm.

if i go a day without working out my muscles feel insanely tense

a chest dip is using a dip machine. it'd be considered a normal dip i guess. two bars on your side and you go down to parallel or a bit less.

I hit triceps and biceps harder than anything else in my brosplit anyway so my rest day workouts don't need much for them.

anyway you seem to be the expert, I did want to know about how to transition from doing handstand pushups against the wall to doing them with no support. In the middle of sets I'm able to do one or two with my feet off the wall before i lose my balance and fall against the wall or fall back and have to get back into position

isn't that shit in Foundation?

>a chest dip is using a dip machine
wut.png

>im not looking to work out it's just keeping active and keeping my muscles warm
not sure you are in the right board, then

>if i go a day without working out my muscles feel insanely tense
because you need to do mobility/stretching

I'm not torrenting some book to find one piece of information my dude

pic related is a chest dip

>not sure you are in the right board, then

it's on my rest days tho, every other day i work with weights and never do less than 2min of rest.

5'4. 149lbs. Resting arms today because I fucked up my negatives. Tried squatting and doing lunges. I tried doing a full lunge (where my knee hits the floor) and it almost rekt me. What the fuck. Am I doing something wrong here?

there is this for people who don't torrent that's a p-bar dip

I hope you are in LONDON
on serious note, how did you 'almost get rekt'? lunges need serious warm up and stretching before hand, most likely lack of mobility

>Lack of mobility
>Needs serious warmup

Ah shit. Welp. That explains it. Maybe I should download and read those pdfs after all. Doing this blindly is just gonna fuck me up.

Thanks.

God damn is gymnastics bodies so cringey.

checked
there is a post if you don't want to torrent stuff Lunges are in leg squat progression, but it's toward the end, I hope you are not new to training your legs? otherwise start from the begining

people say that about SS, which Foundations is for calisthenics as what SS is for lifting

im just saying their marketing, have you seen their recent videos? It could of been so much more.

Physical training has never been my thing. So I guess I really should start from basics. Thanks for the heads up.

No I don't follow them.

Foundation is a great starting point, just be warned it takes a buttload of time to get from nothing to something like straddle planche (pic related)

where can i get foundation torrent not working..?

torrent is working, also

ummm. what do i do? never copied a torrent from here

I'll assume you are using uTorrent
File>Add Torrent from URL
paste the magnet link from magnet:?xt=urn:btih:39d3d785f7c6df583af2fa846646a74b3d256cac&dn=Coach Christopher Sommer Mastering Gymnastic Strength Training 2014&tr=udp://tracker.coppersurfer.tk:6969/announce&tr=udp://tracker.leechers-paradise.org:6969/announce&tr=udp://tracker.mg64.net:6969/announce&tr=udp://tracker.opentrackr.org:1337/announce&tr=udp://tracker.sktorrent.net:6969/announce

Is it possible to get "big" doing callistenichs?

you will hit 'natty' limit if you only do pure calisthenics, unless you are a manlet
if you want to get 'big' (4yoo) you will need to add weight at some point, I mean do weighted bw stuff, for purely bodyweight exercise, the most weight you can put on arms muscles is during one arm muscle up, if you are at that point and still looke 'small' then you add weight

pic related olympic gymnast, notice his height

Thanks bro

Any advice on how the fuck to progress from knee raises to straight leg raises?

This shit is incredibly hard, but knee raises are easy.

idk, i just focus really hard on bracing my abs when i do toe to bar leg raises

which progression is that? Manna?
to transition from bend to straight legs, do Half L-sit Single Leg Extension

i dont have cash for weights
all i have is space and a 25 pound plate
can i make some kind of routine with this?

ge a rope and make a handle for the plate so you can use it as a make shift dumb bell, don't need it if you can pull yourself somewhere

Should I worry where my elbows track during pull ups? They always seem to end up in front of me rather than out to the side and I don't know if that is impeding my progress or lat development.

how wide are you gripping the bar? My guess is not wide enough

Shoulder-width or a little wider. They stay out to the sides at the bottom and as I go up, they start to point forward.

see pic, but you can even go wider, if you want to target your lats and mid/low traps

Hey OPs, have you ever made absolutely no progress on foundation?
This is going to be the third week in which I stay on the same fucking level on HS1 - 4x36s. I think I can hold HS2 and HS3 for pretty much the same time(haven't tried HS3 yet) . I've been thinking on progressing prematurely to harder exercises - HS4 and HS5 seem doable. HS3 also seems to me as an alternative, because I fall mostly because my arms get tired and HS3 goes easier on the arms.

I think I'll post a video after today's workout to see if there is something wrong with my form. Anyway wanted to hear your opinion on this.

I only stalled on push ups when I had to go past 12reps in a set, I would something like 15 first set, then 13 on next set and then like 5 reps in I would collapse on third set, fixed it by resting 5mins between sets, just last week was my 7th week in level 3, had to hold 5x36s for Straddle Hollow Body Hold, monday I did like 35+34+34+32+25 so on thursday I rested 5mins between sets and did all 5x36s
this one time I literally had no carbs for energy, so I always try to get some carbs, like a candy bar 1h before work out (I eat 2hours before working out)

This thread's OP is someone who can't copy-pasta, btw.

forgot to ask, do you do any shit for triceps besides HS progression on the same day or day before?

will this style of training make anyone look good if they aren't

1. a manlet
2. willing to commit years to it
3. on roids

Yes, I do the HBP on the day before which hits my triceps. But I feel my forearms getting tired before the triceps. Never had problem with the triceps actually. I do the forearm exercises before HS - wrist pushup, first knuckle push up and so on.

Going from one-leg supported l-sit to tucked l-sit. Somehow it's incredibly hard for me, primarily due to the form.

I was able to do 4x30s one leg supported lsit (each leg) but I can barely do 10-15s tucked l-sit - I'm kipping my whole body forwards, so I feel the burn in my upper arms. I'm thinking either my core is still to weak to hold my legs close to my chest or.. I dunno. I'm following antranik's progression.

Any advice?

no.
but no. 2 applies to bb lifting (and everything else) as well.

I had to look-up what a half L-sit was, but it looks like it would be just the thing I need, thanks breh

yea that may be the case, do wrist work after?

1. only if you want to weigh as a manlet
2. as opposed to lifting for 2months to get gf then get married and get dad bod
3. shit tier question

try the Foundation progression past the L-sit

just to be clear, the exercise name is
>Half L-sit Single Leg Extension
and you're welcome, senpai

Have you tried pushing your hips back a little bit? Your butt can be a little behind your hips.

Silly question, Should I first get a bit stronger with a BW programm before going into a gym?

get a bit stronger in a gym(1-3 months), then go into bw

I mean scratch that. What do you want to achieve?

youtube.com/watch?v=aEIa2gKlM5k

nothing really unrealistic, I really only want to become stronger and fitter.
Also gaining some nice abs wouldn't be bad.

How dangerous are those triceps dips though? I really want to start doing them but I've read on numerous sites that it can damage the shoulder joints, so I'm really afraid of doing them. I am a beginner.

166 lbs 5'10''
40 pushups, 15 chinups, 10 pullups max

Chest dips are this?

Then do Foundation

if you only want to dips, progress to them on Foundation, you can start past push ups, if yo ucan do 5x15r

The more you lean forward the more emphasis it puts on your chest.
More upright targets more tricep

They aren't dangerous if you do them properly. So watch 2-3 videos on proper form and do them. If you feel any pain in shoulder or the clavicle you are not doing proper form.

Thanks

i keep getting impingement in my left shoulder, but im not sure how. i may have to take a few weeks off.

i think its because of dips. and after dips i hold the top position and do knee raises ?

how should i do knee raises if not that way - hanging ?

>dat perfect body

these pics always make me so thirsty and lonely

i think hanging leg raises are more beneficial anyways for the grip strength
i think you should just double triple check your form for everything you do. might be something small like improper scapula position when youre doing something

I know that feel a little too well ;_;

Happy bump

been doing bodyweight for about 6 months or so now, has helped with my foundational strength and mobility like crazy. i feel incredible.

Don't advance, you have no endurance. In foundation some of the exercises in the same "category" that follow each other have very little to do wth each other, the supine extensions and the first 3 handstand preps are an example. If you cant even do the handstand preps you have no chance doing any kind of real handstand work, so just take your time AND DO YOUR 5X60 ENDURANCE WORK AND YOU WILL LIKE IT!1!!!

hate these stupid ass pics people think whoa hes superman when with the counter balance she provides hes basically just holding a 300 pound barbell in front of him with his arms when a full planche is 3x harder than that.

routine? although you didnt gain much muscle you look 100% better

to make yourself feel better, imagine she has a character flaw that would make your life a living hell

I would do the ab work on another day, if you do leg raises like you described, as a rule of thumb, try not to hit a muscle group you have already worked on that day

aye, can't beat the feeling when you progress to more difficult shit

Sorry you don't like my picture, though you are wrong on things being 'easier' his triceps is still holding him + the hoe

I'm overweight and I barely finished the starting levels of pic attached. If I stick to it, would I progress eventually? I'm also adding cycling for cardio because my knees are weak as fuck.

Are you a newbie, OP? Your pic is a tricep dip.

Chest dips are elbows flared, chin tucked, and legs positioned in front of your torso. Do not lock out elbows on top position and at bottom make sure to go as deep as your shoulder mobility allows you to.

this threads OP is a newbie, yes

the progression in reps is autistic

of course youll progress if you keep doing it

>tfw tall

I've heard that makes planches more chellenging, is that true?

how tall, user? I'm 6'3" but I'm still early in progression, PPPU seems extremely hard to balance, a lot of my weight is in my legs, also I have a 'big' ass and I find it difficult to maintain proper for hollow body hold (I balance in air on my ass)

Well he used bad lighting in before pic and the best possible lighting in after pic. It's hard to judge on the progress.

Yo take a pic with the same lighting as the before pic to see how far you've really gone.

uh it is easier buddy. your participating in this general but don't know the mechanics of a planche? what do you think is harder, having an extra 120 pounds on your back or having to provide your own counter torque entirely by the strength of your shoulders

>read this shit
>reread my post
>read this shit again
can you reread shit at least twice before replying? I said it's harder on his triceps

Okay can you give some clarification on that. Do I always strive to get the max time I can hold for tripod (i.e. going for 5x60s) or do I follow the mastery tables.
I can't progress in pace with the tables though.

Mastery template is there for a reason, if you can't master tripod (5x60s) you have no buisness going to the next movement
If you can't follow mastery template, you are doing something outside of exercising wrong:
>eating
>sleeping
or like I said numerous times, try taking 5min break between sets, if you lack stamina

>you are doing something outside of exercising wrong
This is true
>still triggered
Kicked up into tripod, feeling pissed. Stronger than usual kick up. Hold tripod for 4x50s. Fucking did it.

Turns out until now I was doing tripod at an angle of 80-85* from being afraid to fall on my back. This shit put a lot of strain on my arms. Now I hold my body at 90 degrees. Fell because my back(or shoulder - don't remember) is weak and not because my arms were tired. Feels very good. Thank you, OP, for triggering me into advancing in HS

Nowhere did you say it was easier on his triceps, which is still wrong anyways. You seem to like to post a bunch of pictures but actually dont know shit, otherwise you wouldnt spread pics of horrible form movements

are you fucking retarded or just autistic?

this posts OP sucks, but you are welcome

>the progression in reps is autistic

What do you mean by this? I've been using this rep system for almost a year while cutting, and I've been making decent gains.

because it's not specific
>do 4 to 8 reps

You are the true OP, the OP with the gymnasts

Well, as a beginner routine, it's served me well. Like, doing 4 reps with a new movement gets me stronger, then I can do more reps (up to 8) so I get a little bit of the bodybuilding side of it. Then when I master 8 reps, I move to the next thing and build strength again. And so on. Plus, it's good to look at calisthenics as mastering specific skills rather than doing exercises, then trashing them once you've moved on.

youtube.com/watch?v=jfI9ig7sUA0

Thoughts on this overcomming gravity poser?

It's the CrossFit guy who wanted to tripfag but got called out too consistently.

The guy clearly is a fan of bodyweight, but doesn't know much. He's new to training overall, I think.

>arched lumbar
>shoulder planching
>no protaction

>using a wall
>what a meme

I mean, foundation rep progression has that, actual progression in reps, while you are left to decide for yourself if you should do 4 or 8 reps

that makes sense, I won't reply to that troll anymore, though

>hot grills doing BW stuff

aye

a chest dip is a normal dip on parallel bars, but with your feet sightly infront of you(looking like a banana) or even tucked or in an L-sit, it hits the chest more because you cant keep your chest upright and put all the load on the tris like you can with basic dips. another difference is that the elbows go more to the side than backwards, but you will see that once you can do chest dips, i can do a really clean set of 12 normal dips but barely 5 chest dips. dips on a machine and assisted are more ike normal dips, not chest dips

youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_3454893989&feature=iv&src_vid=6lnCP4z_dGk&v=BRBVKxMb1RQ

As a tall person am I able to make gains with a bodyweight workout if I eat accordingly?

Yea but better post the workout you want to do here to get an opinion on it. There's a big difference between my routine when I first started bodyweight and now.

Are there any routines you recommend to start off with?

What do you want to achieve? Do you want to do tricks? I wanted to do tricks like Planche and HAndstand and Hollowback press and Foundation is a good place to start for them. You can download it from here. 30 pages of text 100 pages of pictures so it's easy.

>Foundation series (4 books + 2 Handstand + Rings)

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:39d3d785f7c6df583af2fa846646a74b3d256cac&dn=Coach Christopher Sommer Mastering Gymnastic Strength Training 2014&tr=udp://tracker.coppersurfer.tk:6969/announce&tr=udp://tracker.leechers-paradise.org:6969/announce&tr=udp://tracker.mg64.net:6969/announce&tr=udp://tracker.opentrackr.org:1337/announce&tr=udp://tracker.sktorrent.net:6969/announce

If you only want to get bigger and don't care for these show off moves than you should do something close to this picture .This pic ain't the best but it's close. I am not a fan of the 3x8 reps for every exercise thing, but it has progressions.

Important thing is to go for harder variations. You do 5 archer pull ups instead of 20 regular pull ups.
Second important thing in my opinion is proper form. Search proper form for absolutely every exercise. I was doing 30 push ups when I found out I was making 3 different mistakes in the execution. Yesterday I found out that there is proper form even for running that a lot of people get wrong.

Mainly just after mass, not really interested in all the tricks. Thanks for all the info though

i personally just do this
pullup/chinup progression
dip progression
pushup progression
inverted row progression
pistol/shrimp squat progression
hanging leg lift progression
planks,hollowbody holds, supermans

work towards 3x12 and 3x60seconds and work towards doing all weightedd

Might want to look into "body by rings"