Is there any reason to train for strength rather than hypertropy?

Is there any reason to train for strength rather than hypertropy?

we have machines, tools, and robots to lift things for us,
so why not just make the machines do the lifting and we lift to look good?

Implying the reasonable weightclass strength competitors all look terrible.

Survivability. Emergency situations. You never know. I always do my rep schemes at 8 reps. 3 or 4 sets. It's a good in between.
What of one day you have to lift a car up from a loved one. Or some crazy dindu crackhead comes out of the woodwork to fight you or attack a loved one. Strength can do alot. You can body slam him. Hell you can bear hug the life out of him. Etc.
>inb4 me gun meme
I have a gun to and I don't carry it with me everywhere I go most people that have guns don't and can't in certain zones. Etc
Going to a concert for instance.

Because in the long run, you'll realize that lifting for the sake of looking big is pointless.

First off, you can get a more than reasonabe physique with strength training. The biggest guys often are the ones who train for strength, too.

Second, it's much more rewarding on the long term to see your lifts increase progressively than to get a six pack or big biceps.

>I always do my rep schemes at 8 reps. 3 or 4 sets
I thought that was hypertropy

I do 5x5 like I'm told to, should I up it to 8x3?

These two rlly. You'll dtill get big on strength training. Every see someone who looks dyel that can bench 345? Yeah no. Hypertrophy is more so for the fine details you'll add mass alot slower than lifting big. Check fraud all the roofers even say to grow eat big lift big and mos5 would say they lift for hypertrophy. Answer is you need to lift big for compounds but add assistance work to the smaller muscles too.

8 reps is the lower end of hypertrophy it's a medium considered both. I'd say 8 reps,4 sets is more hypertrophy Than 3. But yeah real hyptrophy is like fucking 10+reps,and 3/4 sets I still do 5x3 on my deadlift. But 5x3 5x5 tend to be way too long of test times imo. I have an hour at most some days to workout then I got to go to class or go to my Dr.

You should up it to 8x3 for biceps. Triceps calves shit like that. Not a bad idea to stay heavy on compounds tho

Have you ever moved? Did a machine carry your sofa up the stairs to you new apartment?

Also spinal, joint and heart health, i.e. decreased risk of injury. Bragging rights. Carry over to other sports. And not being a pussy-ass metrosexual or a bodybuilder who can't scratch his back, run 5 miles or even move.

> Because of the health and aging benefits
> Because you do a sport that requires fitness
> Because you want to protect yourself, your friends, your family from a human threat
> because everything in life is easier to do.

Having a job, maybe?
Carrying a bundle of shingles up a ladder
Lifting an obese patient
Moving furniture around
Torquing on a stuck or rusted bolt
Climbing stairs in turnout gear

>Is there any reason to train for strength rather than hypertropy?
No, there literally is none

Firstly someone who trains hyper is still gaining strength, enough to blow out any 'self defense' or heavy lifting argument since the average person is a fucking weak cunt in comparison to anyone who is training regularly

Second, strength training is the most dangerous form of training by far, no amount of good form will save you from the continuous increase in weight eventually breaking something. You WILL injure yourself seriously, and anyone who claims otherwise has obviously not been lifting long.

Third its shit bragging/achievement since the ONLY people who give a crap are other (often gay) weight lifters. You're talking about bragging to a minority of a minority. The most impressive thing to the general public (and lets be honest the girl you're now thinking about) is body weight stuff i.e. calisthenics. Being able to hold your weight horiztal off a bar is a million times more impressive than 'I lifted [insert arbitrary number here]'

inb4 a hundred pissed off Veeky Forums fags come out of the wood works to argue for literally one of the worst sports of all time. Even esports is more respectable than strength training.

thank god someone finally said it

Man are you fucking ignorant

T. Cuck

being strong is fun.

if you're big and strong, manlets get intimidated by your presence.

if you do any contact sport it help immensely. i think you'll be way better off when you get really old if you get strong before that point.

>Second, strength training is the most dangerous form of training by far, no amount of good form will save you from the continuous increase in weight eventually breaking something. You WILL injure yourself seriously, and anyone who claims otherwise has obviously not been lifting long.

Oh yeah it totally compares to ice hockey, soccer, paragliding a.s.o.
Actually studies say, the more severe and chronic injuries come from hypertrophy, especially machines. But keep ignorant buddy.

Fraud can literally sit on their ass all day and gain muscle though. You can't compare natty to that.

>Actually studies say

post them

I wasn't comparing to ALL sports, I was comparing to the common Veeky Forums activities

Cardio > Calis > (aesthetic) Bodybuilding/Functional Strength (i.e. your job) > > > > > > > > > > > Strength training/Professional bodybuilding

For a person who wants to be healthy, not being a fat fuck and doing cardio is ALL you ever need to do. If you want to impress then calis is the best for looks and bragging. Lightweight BB to make quick gains before moving to calis makes sense or functional strength training for your job is fine because neither is a risk to your health. But professional [anything involving weights] is literally BAD for you and a fucking horrid thing to recommend to anyone, particularly for a board about Veeky Forumsness not about /fuckingupyourspineforlife/

>For a person who wants to be healthy, not being a fat fuck and doing cardio is ALL you ever need to do.
People on fit sure are retarded today.

I don't need to use all my muscles to be healthy. I'll just let some atrophy while I continue doing jumping jacks and treadmill sprints.

Assuming you are not some /v/tard sitting at his desk 24/7 shitting into a sock and pissing into a bottle you will NEVER experience enough atrophy to be a health risk. Daily activities are more than enough to maintain healthy functional muscle mass, if anything else is needed due to a desk job it would be calis, not weight training.

>Longest living people on earth
>All of them do very light exercise daily (like gardening)
>None of them do weight training in any shape or form
tldr you're wrong

There is almost no difference.

Hello new friend

Just do both fegget

I would say train for strength until you hit respectable lifts, maybe 1/2/3/4. After that, maybe go for hypertrophy or oly lifts or any specificity you may have.

All depends on your goals.

Calisthenics: cause why be strong or big when you can be neither

but dude look at this guy on youtube who does 13 variations of pullups like he moves sidways and shit hes so ripped omg and he does calisthenics xDDD

Skynet will gain artificial consciousness any time now.
We need to get ready.
Stay sharp, my man