Standing OHP VS Seated OHP

Which one is better for building big af shoulders? Why?

Which way you can lift more?

Other urls found in this thread:

fitness-science.org/shoulder-press-effectiveness-dumbbells-vs-barbell-seated-vs-standing/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Standing if done correct will help you lift more weight, since you can cheat by arching, and you can also use hip drive.

Seated can also be cheated so your have to watch out, but it would be better from a bodybuilding standpoint i suppose.

Seated OHP will put lots of load on your lower back, if done incorrectly it'll fuck your spine.

My progress with shoulders has been pretty slow which is to be expected and i reached a plateau at 90 lbs for sets. Since then I have started using the push press and this has muted the frustration and kept me going. Standing for sure, sitting if you want to hit your front delts but I always find they are the limit to my OHP.

standing can do the same thing if your form is bad so that doesn't really matter

They're identical for shoulders if your form is right

No, standing ohp is objectively more safer than seated. As the weight is evenly distributed throughout your body while standing.

>what is hyperextension of the spine

There is no such thing as seated ohp, that is called shoulder press. OHP has to be done standing.

this
never seen anyone doing ohp with actually neutral spine (no hip drive, no push pressing)

My delts have gotten a lot bigger since i started lifting but my strength gains in the ohp have been minimal. Im thinking maybe its mobility.

I prefer seated, targets your shoulders more and you don't have to exert your whole body during the movement

both have their merits, if you're looking for more of a full body exercise obviously standing is better but you'll be doing lower weight

prob just need more volume

dyel

Does OHP and dumbbell shoulder press work the front delts a lot? I've been wanting to do them but I think I have rounded shoulders and I don't wanna make it worse

Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press is proven to be best for hypertrophy. Sure, sitting can potentially be more dangerous - but when you look at the way people OHP in most gyms, they're on their way to snap city anyways. Plus a lot of people arch so much that chest takes over and use leg-drive all the time - not great for hitting your shoulders. I personally never had much use for OHP heavy - below 7-8 reps my shoulders barely show any hypertrophy.

For bbing and "aesthetics": lateral raises, face-pulls/rear-delt-flyes, seated ohp - maybe some extra front work if you don't incline bench.

>Im thinking maybe its mobility.
Could be. I OHP'd 70kg for reps a couple months ago, then I hurt my shoulders doing farmwork. Ever since then my shoulder mobility was shit. OHP has gone down 20kg, despite the muscles being the same size.

Doing face-pulls has bought my OHP back on the road to recovering.

Theoretically the emphasis should be relativley even between front and side delts, with rear delts getting a decent portion of the load too. In practice a lot of people emphasize their front delts the most. If you have rounded shoulder: rows, face-pulls, rear-delt flyes.

every seated shoulder press bench I've ever seen is impossible for me to use due to my extremely long arms

I would have to do 3/4 of a rep behind my head to even unrack

standing OHP all the way for me

(and by all the way I mean I stopped doing OHP in favor of much more bench volume)

push press>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>OHP

also try one-armed overhead carries

>push press
lol this

Go real heavy and do the slow negatives. My OHP shot up after doing this for a month.

Just do clean'n'jerk if you wanna cheat

>push press
It's fun af but barely hitting shoulders t b h.

> tfw I'm completely the opposite

standing db press is superior to standing bb one for building mass

standing.
Just because youre not compressing your spine like a retard and you actually need strong spine erectors and a neutral stance to push some heavy weight.

Also, DONT arch using heavy weight, thats how you get a one way ticket to snapville, thats the easiest way to herniate the disks.

Why db are better /

Push press with slow negative

>safe, comfy and effective

> Push press with slow negative

So you're only working your delts on the eccentric portion?

bump

This pic shows the pressure between your vertebrae diskus. You should never lift anything that compresses your spine the slightest or you will have a high risk of bulging a disk.

While sitting*

that doesn't show seated ohp though

who cares? lifting is retarded anyway

It shows the pressure in different positions

fitness-science.org/shoulder-press-effectiveness-dumbbells-vs-barbell-seated-vs-standing/

just so happens others much smarter than OP have asked this very question

Seated with dumbells

it's not cheating. it's a different exercise.

OP here. Good article.

>mixed grip on a press
nigga wtf

I prefer standing for reasons outlined by others, but personally if you are just going for big delts, I'd do barbell for sets of 5, and on another day dumbells for sets of 10.

completely anecdotal but a "gorilla press" (a one armed, dumbell push press) gave me pretty decent shoulder gains.

Both are the same for shoulders but standing engage more of your core especially lower. Depends on your goals, if you're more of an athlete and you're looking to improve all over then standing up will help your whole posterior chain, however if your looking to just isolate shoulders or don't want to limit stress on your lower core or legs for any reason then sit down.

typo, should be
" just isolate shoulders or want to limit stress"

Neither

Do lateral/front/rear delt raises if you want to build size

OHP is just good from strength