Is keto a meme?

Is keto a meme?

My mom just called me and said she's going on keto and I don't want her to keel over and die because of a shitty meme diet. Does it actually work and is it healthy?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Art-Science-Low-Carbohydrate-Living/dp/0983490708
amazon.fr/Art-Science-Low-Carbohydrate-Performance/dp/0983490716
youtube.com/channel/UC5LiujlSc0_jA3v2qQjKszw/videos
books.google.com/books?id=hrdRROeCI9IC&pg=PA264&hl=en#v=onepage&q&f=false
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It works like any diet. You eat less calories and you lose weight.
She wont die, but she also shouldn't do it for more than 1-3 months at a time.

>diet based on eating tons and tons fat
>healthy

Pick one idiot

Unless you're eating rat poison you're not going to die from any diet short term. However I wouldn't recommend it long term

It is not healthy but you will lose weight assuming you eat in a calorie deficit, it has no greater weight loss properties than a balanced diet with calorie restriction.

It works well as long as you are not an idiot trying something just because you heard of it some day, it's bad as long as you don't even know how it works and how you should do it.

Good books made by scientists about keto diet.

>Implying beta-hydroxybutyric acid
is not the superior energy source
>Glucose plebs
>Low Leucine
>High glycation

I did it for a month to see for myself if its healthy or has other benefits.
But it didn't do shit except make me 10% weaker in all lifts.

As long as she reads and researches keto or low carb high fat shell do great.at first i thought the diet woul be mainly meats , im now eating more salads than ever.

Honestly, i've made more gains being vegan than any other stupid fad diet. We require carbohydrates, keto is a leddit meme. Kendrick ferris, clarence0 are all vegan and are monsters. It's also ethical. Do your research

this

but she won't
nobody sticks to keto for more than a few weeks
I've tried it several times and it's unsustainable on the long run

>We require carbohydrates

Lol, top satire my dude

It isn't healthy to do a low-carb diet for extended periods of time friendo.

STROKE
T
R
O
K
E

What are your macros?
Vegan too, cutting at 2800 cals
223p
80f
300c

I struggle to get protein without fat on vegan diet desu, but I usually eat around 3500+ cals with protein going up to 250 from extra veg/rice and carbs going way up with fats staying at 80ish, wish I could drop them a little more though

how are you eating 2800 cal on a cut? I'm eating 1600 right now and progress still feels slow.

How long you been lifting for?
This was me last year, grown considerably but not ready for a progress shot until I'm a little more shredded

I've been lifting for 3 months. I have lost fat gained strength but I know it wont last forever.

There's no essential carb. Fat and protein are required for life. I've eaten meat and eggs only for more then 18 months. Zero fiber, zero carbs. I'm fine.

Pic is a typical dinner. 14oz ribeye, 12oz lamb, pack of bacon, cheese, wine.

Your mom will me fine. My parents have been keto more then 10 years. Keto is great. Zero carb is best. Eat as a predator, not prey.

Let vegans worry about their ethics and morality. It means their flesh will be tasty when some crazy politician launces nukes and we are all fucked. Vegans and cows will be on the menu.

And yeah, I like my meat rare and bloody.

Pics of you?
Probably huge from all that meat bra

Get 100 or so gs of protein then fill up on carbs, only fats you need are omegas from chia or hemp seeds

> zero carbs

How? This is not possible.
I'm on Keto and it is already hard as fuck to keep carbs under 20g/day.

hes having a glass of wine. Its obviously not zero.

People fuck up the purpose of intentionally triggering ketosis. You don't need to do it as a weight loss solution. If anything, you really DON'T want to lose weight that way because after the weight's gone you need to get on a balanced diet, which you're not going to do because you spent however long on a meme diet. Better to figure out a balanced meal plan and live with that forever than to rubber band back and forth.

Keto is good for lowering body fat to increase muscle definition, which is something you might want to do once you're fit and want to shave off a few percentage points of total body fat.

The problem is people think keto is all you can eat meat, which runs the problem of not bothering to count your calories lie you should.

So keto just keeps you feeling full for less calories, right? Is that the only advantage?

t. junk science

Probably not the healthiest thing in the world, but it works and is probably healthier than the standard American diet if done right.

No, keto is getting your body to burn fat because you aren't consuming enough carbs. It's advantage is it helps in sculpting your body.

The disadvantage is people fucking suck at realizing what has carbs, like the other thread where some bitch is slathering a chicken breast in pizza sauce and thinking it has no carbs.

You're a week little bitch. I've been on keto for months. I'm leaner and stronger.

Its very good for effectively resetting leptin and insulin resistance which has merit in its own right and overall i don't think its "unhealthy". I am however very sceptical about its effect on the gut flora also depending on your genetics you could see a fairly sharp rise in LDL (this is uncommon)

However at the end of the day no diet can get round the the First law of thermodynamics the only difference will be the amount satiety the person feels and overall health in the (very distant) future

I've been experimenting with it for two months now and it's been working pretty well, I'm never hungry which is great. weight is coming off continuously too.

Downside is anything that requires glycogen for performance is gonna get murdered and gl when it comes to social eating, it's also pretty restrictive.

Definitely won't do for the long-term, but it's good so far for a caloric deficit

No, the main advantage is shifting the type of fuel you use.

Instead of glucose, it will be fatty acids and beta-hydroxybutyrate (BOHB).

The main advantages is that BOHB are a more efficient and "clean" source of energy. Basically, BOHB need less oxygen to be turned into ATP and produce far less waste compared to glucose ( due to this, your level of leucine in blood raise which is an important anabolic factor), for one molecule of BOHB, mitochondria can produce 1.2 more ATP than with glucose.

BOHB don't need insulin to enter in cells, therefore, if your body run with it, you'll have far lower level of insulin and your body will naturally mobilize your fat storage and will use it as an immediate source of energy. Which is interesting because you can store far more calories ( with even little body fat ) compared to the glycogen stores, you can at most store around 3000 calories of glycogen, while you can store more than 40 000 calories with fat, a normal person has 20 more time energy in form of fat in its body than glycogen.

I won't write 10 fucking posts long as my arm about how BOHB are efficient and powerful, but it's not a meme diet, unless you are a broscientist.

If you are interested in learning more, here is a good channel of light introduction to keto and its numerous advantages.

youtube.com/channel/UC5LiujlSc0_jA3v2qQjKszw/videos

And here are the two books you must read if you want to learn seriously about keto.

It's not really something that should be long term
That said I've been on for almost two months and I feel great

I bet you think grains are part of a healthy diet and that breakfast is the most important meal of the day too (It's not, breakfast was invented by the dairy industry in the 1950s)

i did it for a while.

Yeah it works, first week or 2 is maily water weight loss.

Gotta watch your cholestorrol with the higher fat intake.

Feel like shit for the first 2 weeks. Always feel weak at the gym

IMO not worth it, it didnt teach me healthy eating habits and i put the weight back on. My body needed carbs.

Im on a healthy diet now for 2 months, eating pretty clean, lifting and cardio. Down 4 kg and feeling good,

>My body needed carbs.
Only because you're a week-willed faglord. No one "needs" carbs. What happened was you caved into your cravings. You wanted carbs.
That being said, you're still doing well controlling your intake which is the most important aspect of living well. Grats on your weight loss. We're all taking different paths, but we're all still gonna make it, brehs.

>I started keto without knowing a damn thing about the importance of electrolytes intake
>I don't know what is keto adaptation and how long it takes
>Therefore, keto is not worth

>There's no essential carb

what is fiber

>Fat is bad
t. hungry skeleton

>Train for 7 years eating meat
>Cut out animal products
>Can already clean and jerk 2x bodyweight
>Natty vegan monster

>(It's not, breakfast was invented by the dairy industry in the 1950s)
Maybe in the US. It's been a thing for a long time in industrialized countries.

Something about only eating meats and fat makes me thinks its not really good for your heart

A long time being what? Like 400 years?
How did we get to the 1600s without breakfast then
It's almost like our bodies survived just fine for tens of thousands of years without waking up and stuffing our faces with carbs and fat immediately
Our recent growth in height and muscle mass compared to recent ancestors was only because of quality, not quantity, and breakfast is too much, not to mention 95% of breakfast foods are garbage any time of the day anyway

That "something" is decades of misinformation.

Enjoy looking flat as fuck

You mean decades of research that was supposedly disproved by a couple of studies funded by the meat and dairy industry.

I've been on it since June, lost fat and maintained muscle. My lifts still going up. Not starving all the time. Good energy. My blood and urine panels have all significantly improved according to doctors. So it's not a meme in my experience.

*cringe*

dumb veganposter.

1980's pls go

3 meals a day is a meme
Carbs are a meme

Do you really think our hunter gatherer ancestors ate 3 times a day with lots of carbs. No seriously, think about it.

People are giving themselves diabetus with whole wheat bread.

Enjoy your colon cancer my dude

While I am on your side, that's not an argument

>he thinks fibre is essential

whew lad. its only benefit is to slow down the rate of digestion of refined carbs. and, no, it's not necessary for healthy bowel movements.

Yeah dude it's totally a meme. Eating processed foods are not a meme.

fiber goes through your system and isn't turned into energy you fucking moron

Hey, what kind of excercise is the best for maximize the body fat burning (and building muscle) on a keto diet? I've been doing the diet for 3 weeks and have lost 5kg so far

Neither are vitamins, what's your point?

You're already at the limit for healthy weight loss speed.

>There's no essential carb. Fat and protein are required for life

Such a dumb argument. If you want to play that game, you know only 9 out of 20 amino acids are present, and the human requirment for protein is technically around 50g, right? You know only omega fats are essential fats, right, and your requirement for them are met at around 2-3% of calories? Saturated and monounsaturated aren't essential, so why is your plate all cheese and beef?

hmm I don't really want to lose weight faster, but i would like to complement the diet with excercise. Maybe just weights and no cardio?

>Keto is good for lowering body fat
yeah das is gud
>The problem is people think keto is all you can eat meat
yeah thats full on retard , people cutting should count cals

t. vexed vegan

>everyone who thinks I'm an idiot is a vegan

i lost 25kg in 6 months of keto faggot, wrote my exams on keto and everything was great.

Keto is amazing. Zyzz recommends.
Do intermediate fasting with it if not hungry. Feeling good and finnaly have good shitting schedule. On a normal diet i shit a few times a day.

>Zyzz recommends

usually keto works because most of your calories come from Carbs, but yeah, its not bad if you doesn't fuck it up and eat like a fucktard

>Does it actually work
yes
>and is it healthy
no

It has some promising studies but nothing conclusive. The long-term effects aren't really understood (I'm taking a lifetime of keto).

It's best if you get your mom to just increase her vegetable intake and avoid refined sugars instead of a strict diet like keto.

Can any keto pro explain to me why nuts are highly advised in keto diet, and also things like seeds

From what I see they have high fat sure but they also have a decent amount of carbs that is not dietary fibre
Isn't that going against the keto standard
This has always bugged me and I usually avoid nuts and seeds because of that

>I usually avoid nuts and seeds because of that
This is the problem with keto. People avoid things like nuts and vegetables because they have "too many" carbs. It's a diet for very special circumstances and not for the general population.

You are still absorbing the same amount of energy overall, whether it is from carbohydrates, fat or protein. The fat you eat is broken down into fatty acids and glycerol, which are then absorbed into your blood stream (after being emulsified). Muscle tissues etc. can in fact get energy from this, but your brain for example cannot convert fatty acids into energy. This is where your body realizes "hey, I need glucose for the parts that can't handle fatty acids", and begins to burn the ketones stored within your fat as fuel for those parts. Yes, you burn fat here, but you then also storage the exact same amount of fat through the excess energy that your body couldn't burn.
Simplified, you eat and burn 2000 calories, of which 60% are fat, 40% protein. Protein goes off and does its thing. Now, your brain needs energy, and it takes about 1/5th of the energy you consume to function properly. But since you provided your body with no glucose, you now have to get some from the fat storages within your body: ketones. So you need a total of 500 calories from fat for your brain to function. Your body gets those 500 calories from your fat storages as ketones, and boom! You burned 500 calories' worth of fat. However, the fat that you ate (the 1/5th that could not be used for your brain), now serves no purpose in your body. So, it is storaged as fat for future use. Back to square one: you burned the exact same amount of fat as you would've by just eating carbohydrates alone, or any other balance of the three.

tl;dr don't bother with Keto.

why the fuck would you keep your carbs this fucking low. If you're an athlete or really active you can actually go up to ~50-100 while still staying in ketosis.

What does the brain run on? Glucose........

>The main advantages is that BOHB are a more efficient and "clean" source of energy. Basically, BOHB need less oxygen to be turned into ATP and produce far less waste compared to glucose

Ketosis is a byproduct of inefficient, "unclean" energy use due to lack of clean-burning carbohydrate. It produces so much waste that you can measure it in your urine and even smell it on your breath.

books.google.com/books?id=hrdRROeCI9IC&pg=PA264&hl=en#v=onepage&q&f=false

>Because "fat burns in a flame of carbohydrate," a very-high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet promotes ketosis. The lack of carbohydrate inhibits formation of oxaloacetate, slowing entry of acetyl CoA into the citric acid cycle and rerouting acetyl CoA to form ketone bodies.
>To dispose of excess ketone bodies, your kidneys excrete them and your lungs exhale them. If this removal process cannot keep up with the production process, ketone bodies accumulate in the blood-- a condition called ketosis.

It doesn't produce waste you retard. It removes the waste out of your body. Learn how to read.

>It doesn't produce waste you retard. It removes the waste out of your body.

The waste it produced, dumbass

>It produces so much waste that you can measure it in your urine and even smell it on your breath.

Yeah no shit. Exhaling and urinating is the natural response of your body to remove waste out of your body.

Oh wait, you would keep it in your body. Outstanding logic.

The point is that it causes the body to have much more waste to be expelled from the body BECAUSE there is so much waste created in the first place by following this diet

What point are you trying to make?

Wrong. The body produced waste from the previous diet and ketosis helps removes it. Do you even know what the liver is?

Hahahaha

Yeah, the non-ketogenic diet is what made all those ketone bodies, and the ketogenic diet gets rid of them. Christ, what a mong.

You're a fucking idiot.

That's why ketones are found in urine?

What a retard.

This desu

>blablalblablblablbalbblalblbbla
>blblablablablablablbalba
>blblba.. It's also ethical
kek, everytime

Don't listen to the keto shills user if you're actively cutting and lifting that's fucking awesome keep on going

Listen to this type 2 diabetic shill user. He wants you to buy drugs from big pharma instead.

I want to try it to see if it helps with my bloodpressure which may stem from some insulin resistance

It's a scam to sell books. Yes you can lose weight with keto diets, they make you so ill that you lose your appetite but you can stay on them only so long.

That's why 95-98% doing these diets fail and eventually gain all the weight back, probably even more than what they had before the stupid diet.

Ditch dairy, less meat, less oils and most of calories from rice, pasta and potatos. Spaghetti with different sauces, chili con carne, stuff like that, you love it and it gives the energy.

>Following a simple diet means you have to purchase a book

So, what you're saying is, if I'm eating a deficit using keto, not only does my body use the fat as energy for daily use such as exercise, but my brain also uses fat in the form of ketones from fat to function properly. So now not only an I losing fat because I'm in a deficit, but I'm also losing fat because it's the only way my brain can get energy?
As opposed to eating carbs on a deficit. I'm losing weight because deficit, but instead of burning body fat for my brain, it's using an available source of carbohydrates that I've been eating as well as preferring to use carbs as immediate energy for exercise, until the glycogen runs out and it switches to fats.

From what you said, I don't see any benefit of having carbs in my diet if my goal is to lose fat.

Yes, if you are at a surplus, the fat turns into stored fat at pretty much a 1:1 ratio. If you surplus on carbs, the body has to convert it to fat which burns around 30% of its energy in the process.

You dont eat deficit or feel hungry, EVER, if you are eating your natural foods instead of dairy, oils and meat

It's true. Keto kills everyone all the time, over and over.

>dairy is not a natural food

We better tell mothers to stop breast feeding their babies

>If I can't do something nobody can

>so much waste created by following this diet

guess i better stop exercising, since that increases waste production =)

Cow's milk is the worst poison you can consume it's liquid meat with addition of dozens of negative effects meat does not have.

Mother's milk is absolutely needed for babies and never should them replace that with other milks.

>That's why 95-98% doing these diets fail and eventually gain all the weight back, probably even more than what they had

No. Post diet weight gain occurs when you fail to sustain weight loss for at least 6 months. Less time than that, and your metabolism's set point won't lower.

>milk between different mammals are different

>it's either autistic vegan shills or autistic keto shills
>both types seem to spout complete nonsense
Really not cool you guys