Family Problems

My mother is a Nurse practitioner so I tend to trust her about medical stuff. I was just meeting up with her for dinner and told her that I was doing Keto and a calorie deficit to get ready for summer. She fucking sperged out and started yelling asking how long I've been doing it and how its dangerous. She said my body was going to go into "starvation mode" and I'd gain weight. I asked how that was possible considering I would be consuming less calories than needed to maintain body weight. She said that calories are bullshit and that I should be doing just the Atkins diet like her. Long story short I left the dinner table and drove back to my place. So I was wondering if her argument had any legitimacy and if anyone else had any similar stories about parents possibly having no idea what they're talking about.

Lol, this has to be bait, my mother is a bariatric surgeon and regularly advises her patients to go on ultra low calorie diets, I even told her I was doing keto and DNP (not at the same time) and she just asked what DNP was

I wish this was bait user my mother believes in fucking aliens.

user you should always treat your mother with respect

but she's batshit crazy

Is what she said about Keto true? I was under the impression that it just made your body burn fat for energy instead of glucose leading to faster weight loss. Did my coach lie to me?

Aren't keto and Atkins basically the same thing? Both low/no carb.

Keto is not sustainable for years, but it's a fine weight cutting tool.

Calories in calories out son, your ma doesn't believe in physics

I just don't get how they can pay someone so much to help people medically and they don't even believe in calories.

>keto is dangerous!!!!!1!
>do atkins (a keto-based diet)
wut

Does your mom even lift?

No, she doesn't. Therefore her opinion on the matter is invalid.

Her logic is that ketosis and calorie deficit together is dangerous but not only ketosis.

I have worked with all levels of medical professional and can tell you they are just as capable of being delusional as anyone else.

Keto is a meme. The only reason why you're getting shredded is because you're restricting your calories.

Fairly typical of people in medicine who aren't in an industry at least related to fitness. Your general practitioners and nurses in most cases never take more than 1 or 2 nutrition/fitness related courses.

Keto is fine and works very well if you can handle the transition phase.

Nurses aren't all that shit... practitioner is JUST pharmacy lite. My wife is finishing her nurse degree and my limited "bro-science" knowledge shows her up, then we open her anatomy or pharmacology books and I'm proven right... they gloss over ALOT of topics. Nurses are the definition of jack of all, master of none. You likely DO know more about specific physiology...aka muscle, cns, adp/ATP ect...

/thread

so basicaly use ketosis for bulking? lmao

You have to remember most practitioners who aren't Registered Dieticians are not up to date on anything related to nutrition.

What exactly is the point of keto? I keep hearing about this ketosis mumbo jumbo and how it burns your fat more efficiently, but isn't it just calories in calories out? How would it make a difference?

My mom is a doctor and she would sometimes fast for like 10 days eating nothing so if I was on a calorie deficit I don't think she'd be mad hehe xd

My mother is a nurse. Very skilled in nursing. Not skilled in anything else.

She is stubborn.

It is true if your sick, ill, or have lacking things your body needs ( b12, vit C ).

Long term when healthy it can do good things.

She might have confused it with diabetic ketoacidosis, which is something similar, but a medical emergency. If an insulin-dependent diabetic stops taking insulin, their cells can't use any glucose in their bloodstream, and they start producing ketone bodies. This makes their blood acidic, and can end up killing them. I'm not sure how it differs from keto, which also involves your body switching from glucose metabolism and making ketone bodies, but obviously is safe.

Diabetics end up dying when they deliberately avoid insulin to trigger ketoacidosis - not being able to metabolize sugar in their blood helps them to lose weight.

I was a nurse for 3 years. I quit because I realised that even with years of schooling, MDs and NPs could still be complete and utter fuckwits. Just use logic and reasoning, and dont listen to idiots who just parrot mis-information from other idiots in the medical profession

>something similar, but a medical emergency.
except they are the same thing and you can use the strips then use on anorexics to tell if you are actually in keto or if the "couple grams of carbs" in your budget protein powder is much more than the label says and it ruined your keto.

Basically its a case of confusing the problem (starving vs diet) with the symptom (lol insulin)

Never ever ask your mom for life tips. She wants the best for you but she doesn't have any clue about men's lives. She just wants you to be "safe" and that's that. Seriously, taking my moms advice on what job to pursue was the worst decision in my life. If she tries to give you any advice just smile and nod, and ignore her. Be nice but ignore her, always.

aliens are real user, just look in the mirror

Someone answer this guy, I also want to know.

>dildos in dildos out

true story

>my body was going to go into "starvation mode" and I'd gain weight

this part is legitimate, however, most people who this happens to went back to eating normally after they lost the weight, with no continued weight/diet management afterwards

you'll see many who participated in the biggest loser program, a year later some of them gained 1/3 to 1/2 their weight back

>telling your family what you're doing
>ever

Brainlet
Literally talking about anything beyond sports and the weather with your family is asking for drama

This. Keto is fucking retarded.

It works, but so does any diet with a caloric deficit..

Also saying you use DNP to your mother is fucking retarded.

>what is evolution?