Anybody else notice that beyond a certain number of days being awake you no longer feel drowsy and instead achieve a...

Anybody else notice that beyond a certain number of days being awake you no longer feel drowsy and instead achieve a strange kind of floaty, albeit lucid state of mind?

If it wasn't for the reaction time thing and the mental faculties being slow from sleep deprivation, I almost feel like I could get shit done indefinitely with the right amount of sips / prescription stimulants.

Is sleep necessary?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake_therapy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorship_bias
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

yes once you get passed that point you start hallucinating and eventually faint

>Is sleep necessary?

Yes.

/thread

You know that can cause psychosis, right? Just lie down and try not to think.

I've done it before to check out the sleep dep psychosis meme. Doesn't bother me anymore. My main question is theoretically if I maintain a regular workout schedule despite not sleeping how much of an impact on my DOMS would it have?

If you exceed a certain number of days without sleep you cause permanent psychological change.
Essentially you drive yourself insane.

It is an alarmingly low number of days.

Waterboarding is nothing compared to sleep deprivation as a torture method. Even the most innocent person will admit anything you want them to if you keep them awake long enough. And the scary thing is that they will, to the best of their ability, believe that they actually did it.

Sauce pls

Source on the effects being permanent?

That's only because your circadian rhythm is heavily disrupted so your body is losing its means to signal to you that you should sleep.

Drowsiness is a feature, not a bug.

Renal failure can cause similar symptoms.

how many days is it?

if you don't sleep you will not recover, in any sense of the word

your brain will not organize and memorize knowledge, and the body will not repair itself

also there's the insanity thing

DOMS shouldn't be a problem with a set exercise routine. I'd imagine sleep deprivation would cause you motor control problems so you wouldn't be able to get your reps and you'd stall. You'd have to hit the uppers.

>/threading your own post

kys

I believe there was another man who died after 5 or 6 days awake

>he drank and smoked
So he was just dumb. I'm going to go for 12 days in that case.
Psychosis sounds fucking awesome.

>Psychosis sounds fucking awesome.

Part of me is scared that one day I'll be schizophrenic and live in a world of my own delusions. The other part of me is excited by the possibility to escape the plight of being stuck in an average life.

So what if the conversations I have are with imaginary entities? They're more than real to me.

I used to do this all the time until I was awake for a week during my last year of college. I haven't been able to force myself to stay awake since, and for about a month after I was a drooling sack of half-cognitiant shit.

You need to leave your basement. There's nothing romantic about disease, mental or otherwise.

Got maybe 3 or 4 hours sleep over the last two days cranking out my disseration. Focusing is harder obviously but I feel like my thoughts take some time to catch up to my conscious mind.
I'm gonna have a drink soon I wonder if it'll intensify it. I've avoided all caffiene today I'm up on adrenaline spikes probably.

I'm a Marine. Let me tell you something.

>basic training
>my DI has it out for me
>put me on firewatch every single night for two hours
>also wakes me up early
>basically hazing me via lack of sleep
>like 3-4 hours a sleep a night
>goes on for 3 months straight
>2nd month in start falling asleep standing up
>sit down and immediately fall asleep
>3rd month in
>start actually fucking hallucinating
>can't tell when i'm dreaming or when i'm awake
basically I will fall asleep without realizing and dream a realistic dream, like imagine you are sitting in a chair in a room. Then you fall asleep, you dream about sitting in the same chair in the same room, except you are drinking a glass of water, or eating a sandwich, then you wake up sipping imaginary water out of your hand and everybody looks at you like you are fucking crazy. Or in your dream you put the water by the side of your foot, then you wake up, reach for the water, and get confused why it's not there and realize it was just a dream.
>goes on for all of basic training
>finally graduate
>get in parents car
>fucking sleep

>become a marine
>get psychologically and physiologically tortured
Sounds great sign me up senpai.

Sorry if I offended, but just speculating.

If I don't know my own reality is a hallucination, what's the harm done? I think more than anything, I'd want to feel a grandiose purpose in life. An ultimate driving force for why I'm here on this planet, even if it's not real.

I lift. I go to concerts at least once every other week. I have friends and family that care about me. My job pays for me to travel the PNW.. but none of that gives me that umph. If my hallucinations told me to build an arc or an underground bunker, at least if have that undoubtedly satiated feeling when I woke up and grabbed my hammer or shovel.

I hope I'm being clear.

you haven't been awake long enough to experience sleep dep psychosis

You haven't hit 315lb bench yet.

Once you do you will realize your purpose in life is to become a swole beast

But to add to this. The torture only went one because I was being forced to stay awake. If you try to deprive yourself of sleep at home you will eventually just pass out and get the sleep you need. So you won't ever get to the point of hallucination alone. So there isn't a point in trying. OP is once again a faggot

> (You)
>You haven't hit 315lb bench yet.
>
>Once you do you will realize your purpose in life is to become a swole beast

Some days are easier than others, but every day I get a little closer.

Thank you, Senpai.

The only /selfthread I've ever agreed with

Once you reach a non-functional mental state due to psychosis, you can't take care of yourself. You become a burden to everyone in your life who has to take care of your shit because you have no touch with reality.

What you're talking about is being bored in life, so you want to make everyone take care of you while you break your brain. Grow up.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake_therapy

Kek I remember basic training very well too.
Everyone was basically dreading whenever we had to sit down for lectures and stuff like that because it was a nightmare to stay awake and not act like a hallucinating zombie.

I think you're going with a slippery slope argument here. In my hypothetical schizophrenic future, I'd still be a functioning member of society with a job and all that. Just with delusions of grandeur and a existential driving force behind something I'm doing.
I

I've worked with Alzheimer's patients when I was in school and wouldn't wish that on anyone. But at the same time, there's moments of bliss that can only be granted by mental degradation and insanity. Interacting with a loved one who has been dead for decades is something most will never experience. Even if the interaction isn't real, to you and I, the patients don't care. (Counter argument- unconsolable terror from imaginary threats make the patients a real danger to themselves and everyone around)

Not looking for an internet argument, just offering my perspective.

>functioning member of society with a job
>while being insane
Good luck with that

>we always had lectures after dinner
>not only does sleep deprevation kick in, but you get food coma
>in the breaks there huge numbers of people lining up for the bathroom just to splash cold water in your face
>people doing exercise in the halls to get their heart rate up
>there was always that ONE guy that wasn't able to keep his eyes open and ruined it for the rest of us

> (You)
>>functioning member of society with a job
>>while being insane
>Good luck with that

Thanks m8

My family is full of mentally ill people of different variaties, and all of them ruined their lives. You get trapped in bullshit that's inside your head. Dealing with your lazy attitude and developing a driving force is a cake walk compared to beating depression.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorship_bias

Went 5 days when I was in HS, basically people told me I'd die if I did so I did. Was almost like being drunk I suppose, by the end of it I had to stay standing otherwise I knew I'd fall asleep and not long into the fifth day I turned a light on, had a massive migraine and collapsed into sleep which lasted probably 3 hours then I got up and tried to sleep in a bed but I couldn't until the sun went down, I wouldn't recommend trying this. It's stupid and is way less fun than you might think. After waking up I got told I had been yelling at everyone and had no recollection, full on blacked out.

Here's your attention faggot

I feel the need to emphasize- I do not actively want to have schizophrenia one day. Just a daydream about breaking the monotony of every day Life through liberating force. Obviously the negatives overshadow the benefits of delusions in a real world scenario.

>> Realistically I want to die of sound mind and body at an old age, before I become dependent on medications for basic bodily functions.

Very few people are delusional enough to genuinely believe they're going to win the lottery, but I'd argue most people have a general plan for the scenario if they did.

That's wild. I get something similar when I'm really tired.
>lay in bed
>close eyes
>all sudden i'm browsing on my phone while laying down
>open eyes
>no phone

>schizophrenic
>I'd still be a functioning member of society
That's not how this works.

Vsauce did some video where he stays in a room with almost no stimuli whatsoever and suffers a similar effect, he has no real reason to go to sleep or wake up so just does so when he's tired.

Toward the end he literally can't distinguish dreaming from reality and almost lets himself out because he dreamt someone knocked on the door and told him he could leave - he had no idea it was a dream.

>lay in bed
>go to bathroom
>apparently I am asleep and piss my pants
JUST

Fuck youuuu!!! This happens to me all the time. Like i'm texting or getting up to go pee and it's vivid as fuck. Wake up. I'm just in bed. It's becoming common since I work a lot and hardly get sleep. It's a weird feeling