/Running General/

I'm trying to reduce my mile time to 5 minutes, and I have access to a track, but I don't know what kind of reps to do.

Currently I'm at 7 min 40 sec miles, because I didn't run in the winter, but I'll be back at my normal 6 minute miles in under a month.

Gibs me a training schedule pls, so I can get to 5 minutes at fast as possible.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Under-Armour-SpeedForm-Gemini-Running/dp/B00ZVEI1SI?th=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I was one thinking about construting a device that would send a weak electric shock when you run slower than some set speed for a couple of seconds. That would make you run faster and I think you would adapt to said speed after some time.

how hard is it to go from a 6 minute mile to a 5 minute mile. It took me 2 months to hit 6 rolling off the couch and running short distance about 3x a week.

that's a big leap. i think most people when fit should be able to do 6 minutes but 5 minutes is probably going to be a challenge for most people. it depends on your natural ability/speed and willingness to put in the miles to build a good aerobic base.

>man found dead in local park, apparently shocked to death by what appears to be some form of auto asphyxiation device

No clue. When I first started training it took about a month to get a 6min mile, but then I wasn't seeing much progress so I pretty much gave up.

OP here. Here's a basic idea of what I've got so far. I'd appreciate feedback and additions.

Monday:
-PR attempt
-8x400m, 1 min/mile under current PR, 30s rest
Tuesday:
-2.4 mile, recovery run, 1 min/mile above current PR
Wednesday:
-4x800m, 30s/mile under current PR, 30s rest
Thursday:
-2.4 mile, recovery run, 1 min/mile above current PR
Friday:
-4x800m, 30s/mile under current PR, 30s rest
Saturday:
-4 mile, easy run, below lactate threshold
Sunday:
-rest day

Is running twice a day not a good idea?

Running twice a day is fine just dont do too much too soon. And dont have the runs so close together.

So like morning you can do an endurance run of like 2 to 3 miles and later in the afternoon/evening run 1 mile for warm up and do a whole lot of speed work. 30/60's, 60/120's

OP here, bumping for info.

anyone got any foot strengthening exercises?

i was unaware that my left foot was over-supinating when i ran and now the inside of my left foot is super weak. just recently corrected my form but my distances have gone from 5-10miles to less than a mile without my foot giving out on me

>be fat
>start walking to complement new deficit diet
>be winter
>still walk since insulation helps
>almost summer and climate getting warmer
>think about running and improving cardio
>probably well over 35% body fat
>curious what impact running will put on my body

If I'm still a fat fuck do you think my lungs could still develop and help me get some more endurance?

If a fat man runs regularly and pushes himself to the limit several times a day can he expect improvement in his performance? I've only ever seen long distance runners be slim and light-weight.

but is it possible?

>recently corrected my form
Maybe your foot is giving out on you because you "corrected your form", or maybe the bad form was because your shoes sucked.

Good shoes will correct poor physiology.

Your workouts are way too fast - there's no way you'll be able to do 400's at a pace 1 min/mile faster than your goal mile pace, unless you're really out of shape currently. Here's what a typical week would look like for the 800/mile group on my college team (low 4-minute guys):

Monday - off
Tuesday - short intervals at or a little faster than mile race pace, e.g. 3 sets of 5x300 @ mile race pace, walk 100m between reps, or 8-10x400 at race pace w/ 75 seconds between reps
Wednesday - 50-60 minute base run (6:30 pace - comfortable but heart rate in the 150-160 range)
Thursday - longer intervals, pick one of (6x1000, 8x800, 10x600), ~90 seconds between reps, at between 5 and 10k pace
Friday - shakeout/easy run, 4-6 miles, some strides
Saturday - race
Sunday - long run, 80-100 minutes, slow (~7:30 pace, HR 130-140, easy enough that you can talk the whole time)

Warm up/cool down by jogging easy for 5-10 minutes and stretching before and after harder workouts.

We varied it quite a bit, sometimes instead of track work we'd do 3-5 mile tempo runs, or 10-mile "hard" runs, or just go for a base run in the hills or something. Probably every other week we'd do 'fast' track work - 8x200 @ 800 pace or faster, 4-5x400 @ 800 pace. 100m strides (basically a sprint) 2-3 times a week or so. Hill sprints early in the season to build up some leg strength, 6-10 reps of anywhere between 100 and 300m, not quite as fast as you can go but pretty close to it.

The mile is a long enough race distance that doing more mileage during the week would do you some good, if your body can handle it without getting injured. Just make sure you slowly build up to it, don't increase your mileage by more than ~5 miles week-to-week.

well, yea, i switched shoes to ones with alot less padding, which is what led me to finding out my form sucked

im just looking for ways to strengthen my foot on top of just running half a mile then walking

kek. Do it OP, I believe in you.

This helps. Also I am out of shape currently, but I should be back to good form in a few weeks.

So let's say I hit sub 6 min miles by mid-April. How long should it reasonably take to hit 5 min/miles or low 4 min/miles if I followed your schedule?

I've literally not run in months, done nothing but lift and lost some weight, and today I ran a 6:10 mile.

Does not being fat really make running this much easier? I literally ran for 4 miles when three months ago I could barely get 1.

Even small differences in your weight will have noticeable improvements on your runs

Your new shoes might be causing your current problem. What brand are they?

>pro-tip: hopefully you didn't buy Nikes

Barefoot running cures all

got a dull ache on the outside of my left knee from running lately, no clue what is causing it. Anyone have ideas? My knees are pretty healthy, no problems at all with the right one and I can squat and deadlift without any discomfort.

That doesn't make much sense. Your cardiovascular fitness should reset if you haven't run in months.

new balance

my old shoes were heavily padded where your foot arches (like actually sloped towards the insides of the feet) and im almost positive this is why ive been over supinating

my new balance are flat

I lift daily, running feels really easy now and I can just "push through" any distress.

im not opposed to the idea, but im not gonna run at a crowded park with kids staring at the autist running without shoes

I dunno man. You shouldn't be experiencing pain if you're practicing correct form.

I highly suspect that your current problem has less to do with your form change and more to do with your new shoes. I'd try to get a more expert opinion from someone who can check them out in person.

A good running shoe should be something like this:
amazon.com/Under-Armour-SpeedForm-Gemini-Running/dp/B00ZVEI1SI?th=1

How much u wieght? You dont want to hurt your joints

Shut up man.

i uh, never said i was experiencing pain, just that my left foot was super weak after switching shoes/form and it gives out like half a mile in

appreciate the help tho

Minimalist/Barefoot running shoes.

Thoughts, opinions, experiences?

I got a pair of pic related (Tesla BK30) off of amazon a couple weeks ago and im still adjusting to them, but i'd like to know what other people think of this trend in shoes

Do some research into the subject

How about instead of reading 'Born to run' and treating it as gospel, try going for a fucking trail run on bare feet and see how your problems end up?

Barefoot running doesnt cure anything. Changing running style MAY help. Having different styles during a run can aid against overuse injuries.

You're exactly like every fat retard that feels the summer coming and you decide you'll put in some serious work before it hits. You'll just get injured or burnt the fuck out in a few weeks. Do couch to 5k or something and accept that you're not going to be Chad Thundercock this summer, but there's always next year.

Sorry, never read it

Don't be sorry, just stop spreading your bullshit.

This is a pretty good workout for your goals tbhfam. I would however highly recommend adding in a couple top speed sprint drills per week. I started doing this and saw huge gains in my times across all distances. My sprint workouts look something like this

Ladder workout
>go on a football field, or find a way to mark every 10 meters or so
>sprint to 10m (make sure you're sprinting all the way through the marker) then walk or slow jog back
>sprint to 20, jog back
>and so on all the way through the 100 marker, then work your way back down
>sprint to 90 jog back, to the 80 etc

Next one doesn't really have a name, I call it trot, jog, run, sprint. Helps with controlling speed and top speed in general.

>set up 4 or 5 markers along a 100 yard distance (a football field is ideal for this)
>trot to the first marker
>jog to second marker
>run (mile pace) to third marker
>sprint through final marker
>jog/walk back, repeat as many times as desired (I usually do ten iterations)

And once a week I'll do variations of these workouts uphill. Hill sprints are hugely important as well.

Also if you can swim/row that will help your overall cardio and can be done on rest days for recovery.

But yeah overall sprint drills are gonna be huge for your mile time. Remember that for sprint drills you absolutely need to be hitting your top speed or your wasting your time.

What socks do yall use? I picked up two pairs of Feetures socks because my local store stopped carrying the Darn Tough ones I usually get. They feel so good when I run but they don't really feel super durable.

Merrell trail gloves are the shit. I can't say whether or not minimalist shoes are objectively better for you, but my special snowflake body gets crazy shin splints in shoes with a heel to toe drop.