I hurt my neck doing squats because the bar was resting on the back of my neck where it turns into spine...

I hurt my neck doing squats because the bar was resting on the back of my neck where it turns into spine. How to avoid this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD7BE939BB32B4CAB
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

nigga is u retarded?

No I am American

Just kidding, my posture was terrible and I am looking for ways to improve it

Don't pull down on the bar.

Give yourself a big chest by breathing in deep before going down.

Look slightly up when lifting.

If you feel your form slip, you NEED to deload.

Make sure the bar goes straight up and down--this should be in your mind always.

Do low bar

Tighten your traps (squeeze) to give the bar a pad to sit on. Experiment holding bar lower, a change in bar position will affect your balance for a few weeks.

Don't experiment lowering the bar with a lot of weight because if it falls down it will rip your arms off, or feel like it at least

In high bar squats the bar rests on traps
In low bar squats the bar rests on posterior delts
Don't place the bar on bones

This is horrible you definitely should not look up while squatting you fucking faggot.
When you breathe you are meant you expand your belly not your chest. Please never post here again.

low bar squats

>get some traps
>rest bar on traps

worked for me, problem fixed

>Look slightly up

He wants to hurt less, not more.

hi retard
belly breathing is for stretching and relaxation
chest breathing increases your power output

looking slightly up helps because most people look down, which is bad form

now go back to eating your cheetos and drinking mtn dew and let the big boys do the talking

Literally none of that is true.
Belly breathing is literally called the valsalva maneuver. It's used in weight lifting you fucking idiot.
Looking up cause your back to hollow out. You are supposed to look slightly down or at least forward cause that keeps your spine neutral where it connects to your skull.
Dude you clearly don't lift just stop posting before this gets any more embarrassing for you.

>belly breathing is for stretching and relaxation
>chest breathing increases your power output

Belly breathing slightly and holding your breath help braces your core, retard.

I don't even know where to start

Please delete your Veeky Forums account and never return

>this is the advice novices get on Veeky Forums

Jim Wendler really nailed it with his article about novices getting advice from novices.

Not everyone does Rippetoe squats retard.

I am following Ripptoes Starting Strength lol, got the guide from the sticky. I thought you were supposed to look up? What do you look at, your feet?

He has several videos on YouTube teaching the squat, none of them tell you to look up. Start with one of those videos

Swallow your ego and just use a squat pad until you build up the necessary trap size to squat comfortably.

When you start (ie standing) you look forward, and keep head in the same position as you lower. So at the bottom it feels like you're looking up, that's what people mean.
Similar for dead lift too.

Actually looking up at the ceiling would be horrible haha

That's not what people
Mean. People literally mean look up. I see faggots squatting and starting up all the time. Look forward means look forward you idiot.

Look forward and keep your vision parallel with the ground, or look down at a 45 degree and keep it there. Also make sure you can get the bar on a lower portion of your upper back, while keeping said upper back tight.

Get gud at front squats

Is this a /form/ thread? Because I think my squats are also fucked. I can do 2plate with the leg press, but only like half of that with an actual squat. I'm convinced that my form is fucked.

Girl?
Stop leg pressing all together and just squat. Chances are if your form is bad it's due to flexibility. Can you get into a deep squat routine it now without a bar? If not than that's what you need to work on.

The leg press is around a 45deg angle, so you are only doing half the weight you would be doing vertically, also it's more stable

Maybe, I don't go to a public gym and forget how many retards there are out there

Also, of course, you need to factor in your upper body weight, which isn't lifted in leg press but is in squats

We'll that must be nice but this thread is a perfect example. 90% of fit has no idea what they're talking about man so never assume with these people.

I don't know why everyone is hating on this post. Watch this playlist and you'll see record holding athletes telling you not to look down while squatting. But no, Veeky Forumsizens know better.

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD7BE939BB32B4CAB

Yeah, not as retarded as bodybuilding dot com though, so many candy asses there

Do low bar squat?
>you can lift more weight
>it's easier to get the gist of it
>less strain on your back
>less strain on your neck

That's a great way to mask problems in your form until you're lifting heavy enough that those problems will actually do damage.

The book literally has an image of someone looking up while squatting with the caption "DON'T DO THIS, YOU FOOL."

They definitely aren't saying to look up that's for sure you autistic moron.

Great way to look like a fag too

>not resting it on your traps

Are you telling me you actually lurk on bb com forums?
lol Jesus Christ

Post me the link to the article famp

Do you not into physics?

>Weak leg press
>Weak squat
Get good at both faggot

>this is how Redditors type to try and fit in
>they simply can't resist giving themselves away

Never actually been to the place.

And your comments have what exactly to do with weakling user's inability to understand the inherent differences between the leg press and squats?

I had this same issue. My coach told me that it was probably due to my lack of traps. He advised me that I should narrow my grip on the bar, which would squish my traps together better, and gradually widen it over time once my traps grow. While not ideal, it's a good workaround.

I used to and I'm not proud of it

Good tip

You're lying and I've been posting in this thread newcomer.
Dude that's embarrassing. At least you've moved on. Isn't that place nothing but lame dads and soccer moms talking about bcaas

Don't forget knowing your macros, never again

Just do low bar, what the fuck

What?

Ancient, terrible dieting advice and a sure argument starter.