> Dumbell shoulder pressing in line with your head and ears

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IiX_WVoKrQ8
youtube.com/watch?v=iMwJcmkD1i0&t=194s
youtube.com/watch?v=Rx0AN2qQs7Q
youtu.be/UUBd9X7aHSI?t=34s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

i don't know any of those words. guess i'm good

So I'm supposed to only do Close Grip bench press?

These are very common things that lead to injuries 100%. See them every day in my gym.

How should I dumbell shoulder press then?

>grinding reps with heavy weights

so you're telling me to never push myself. got it.

Beat me to it. OP can you please give us a reason you shouldn't kill yourself you idiot?

Yes, you should. It puts your shoulders in a safer position and it's a longer range of motion which means its better for more strength and muscle. There's no difference in chest activation between a close and wide grip despite what people believe. It just hits the triceps alot better, but the stretch reflex is still there for the chest.

Since it's usually 15% less from your flat bench weight, if you get your close grip bench to match your weight on your wide grip, you will be stronger, period. Then if you ever wanna show off to your friends you can do the wide grip and blow them away with your pressing strength. I myself was platuead at 2pl8 for months, switched to close grip and destroyed my plateau.

Wider grip is really only meant for demonstration of strength such as at a powerlifting meet.

For longevity and overall strength, you should do CGBP.

Can you give me a source or evidence to back up your claims?

Yeah, try lifting above 2.5pl8 with slow reps. It doesn't happen. And it will fuck up your recovery. If you wanna grind, be my guest, but don't be doing it all the time it will just set you back.

Look at powerlifters in meets, the weight flies up fast. This is why speed work is so important.

If you know the next rep won't go up fairly easily, rack the weight and do another set. This is incredibly better for progression than "pushing yourself" and setting yourself back.

>Grinding reps especially with heavy weights

This is something you gotta be careful about and not overdo, rather than "should never do"

I would like a source on that aswell.

This just means I should push my arms back, like if a bar connected the dumbbells it would go behind my head?

> Dumbell shoulder pressing on a 90 degree angle
I don't understand this one. Should I stop before I get to 90 degrees? Is this referring to degrees of your upper arm to lower arm?

I did exclusively close grip for almost 2 years, and while my close grip strength increased, my wide grip strength stayed the same. I now train both.

> This just means I should push my arms back, like if a bar connected the dumbbells it would go behind my head?

No. That would be even worse. When you're pressing you always want to be pressing in the "frontal plane" of your body. If you go in your gym you will usually see people pressing in the "middle plane" - when they bring the dumbells down into the bottom position, the dumbells will be in direct allignment with the person's head and ears and their arms are flared out. This is super unnatural and will destroy your shoulder joints as the years go on. Tuck your elbows and consider even using a hammer grip.

Think about when you do a standing OHP, the barbell comes down in front of your body, to your upper chest. If you tried to emulate the bad dumbell press form with a barbell, it would hit you on the top of your head. I will post a link for you in a minute further explaining this.

> I don't understand this one. Should I stop before I get to 90 degrees? Is this referring to degrees of your upper arm to lower arm?

This is referring to the bench/seat angle. Don't use those 90 degree "chairs" that are in your gym. Grab an adjustable bench and set it to the highest angle available on it. Most adjustable benches don't go up to 90 degrees , but 70 or 80. This little difference makes a tremendous difference in the positioniong of your shoulder joint and puts it in a more stable position.

Sorry lol. I overcomplicated that explanation of the first one. If a barbell connected the dumbells, it should be infront of your head.

>deadlifting

>Think about when you do a standing OHP, the barbell comes down in front of your body, to your upper chest.

This makes sense

>Don't use those 90 degree "chairs" that are in your gym.

I had been using these and stopped because they felt super awkward. Good to know the correct alternative.

noob here, are dips and box squats really that bad? athlean x says they are fine but ron williams says they are bad.

youtube.com/watch?v=IiX_WVoKrQ8

youtube.com/watch?v=iMwJcmkD1i0&t=194s

> "Pouring the water jug out" on lateral raises
> Dumbell shoulder pressing on a 90 degree angle

i agree with this, cant believe how many people do and then "reee my shoulders hurt reee".

but
>suicide grip
you are retarded if you think that fkn barbell is going to fall down and crush your ribcage

Some user made a post on Veeky Forums a few months ago talking about someone someone at their gym who used suicide grip to bench press. The bench slipped out of his hands and broke his neck I think? The dude died.

Holy fuck. That would've been insane to witness

The only reason a majority of lifts fly up in powerlifting meets is because your first two attempts are lifts that you should be able to reasonably make with your third attempt being maximal effort/PR attempt. And 275lbs ain't shit in any lift.

Imagine a barbell connects the dumbells

I was referring to repping weights. But yeah I agree with you. Tthe point should be "don't grind reps often"

Fuck. Wasn't me but relevant story.

>At the gym.
>one of these regulars is benching.
>Guy is kind of a faggot. TITLEMAX sleeveless hoodie. Beats headphones. You know the type.
>Asks me for a spot on 225 bench.
>Say sure.

This fucking faggot put his hands so widea he was milimeters from the rack hooks. Like even if he made the lift he''s gunna slice his hand open when he tries to rack it.

Low and behold this guy goes suicide grip. He gets it halfway up before it rolls off and lands in his gut. I kinda help roll it off but it was so far down his body it was impossible to lift.

Him, a personal trainer (LA fitness so Fuck off you dyel fuckface) and maybe his girlfriend?

>"dude if you can't hand let spotting the weight dont say you can man wtf"

Rib cage would be lucky. Neck is much more likely because of the bar trajectory.

The guy was probably standing dick in hand while watching the clock, unable to react fast enough when shit went down.

A proper squat down over-under hand grip spotter would have good chance at saving this sitaution.

>tfw hit snap city deadlifting the last week
>deadlifting 152.5kg
>i did it for 5 reps the week before no problem
>go to do it for 5
>get one rep
>feels hard as fuck
>back feels stiff
>ohshit.jpg
>back feels strained as fuck
>cant even bend over to de-load the bar
>be britbong
>call up doctor a few days later for appointment at 8am
>they're already fully booked and can only give me a telephone appointment
>tell doctor on phone that im worried its a slipped disc
>he asks if ive had shooting pains in my legs
>i say not really but i have weakness there
>he says its nothing to worry about then and to just keep moving and take paracetamol
>im not even physically there so he cant even get me to do ROM tests to see how fucked up i am
>i cant even fucking bend over to tie my shoelace
>cant lift anything over 5 kg without substantial pain
>have a manual labour job where i cant even perform 10% of my tasks now
>doctor said hes not going to even give me a sick note unless i pay him
>cant squat/deadlift/row
>cant do most of my workout and am restricted to very light cardio/machines

Im moving fucking doctors this week. The doctor really just didnt seem to give a fuck. Jesus our NHS system is terrible

You can "pour out the water" on lateral if you retract shoulder blades and lean forward.

>Dumbell shoulder pressing on a 90 degree angle
>Dumbell shoulder pressing in line with your head and ears

I do these

why shouldn't I?

ok nvm

youtube.com/watch?v=Rx0AN2qQs7Q

rotating in the upper half is even better:
youtu.be/UUBd9X7aHSI?t=34s

it all translates to watch your form.
some people mostly go to snap city from DL and squats but it's mostly due to bad form.
you can stop them sure to avoid possible injury but really it's just about watching your form.

The PTs at my gym advise people to "deload" the spine when deadlifting by hyperextending hard. The only thing that keeps people from snapping their shit up is that they all lift sub 3pl8.

ty user

Usain Bolt can't react fast enough to catch a dropped bar. Suicide grip is for fucking retards.

fuck your doctor bro, deserves a tire slashing

The "spotter" on the left triggers me everytime
Like,you're supposed to spot the guy so he doesn't kill himself,you got an important role in the lift but NO,better stand two feet away from the bar,arms at my sides while dozing off

>pouring he water out lat raises

Then how the fuck are you supposed to do it, huh?

>NHS
>paying your doctor
>mfw

This kind of response bewilders me. Like you simply can't comprehend that you don't have to point your thumbs down when doing it, and you need to get aggressive when someone points this out. All doing this does is basically forces impingement.

Do you not realize you can hit your middle delts with your hand in any position as long as you're lifting your arms up to the side/somewhere?

What is pinkies on the ring called in terms of bench grip? Normal?

>using the leg press

>unless I pay him
lmao dude at least try to make your story believable

>these are the idiots posting on Veeky Forums

>Yeah, try lifting above 2.5pl8 with slow reps. It doesn't happen
So that's why I don't have sets of 4pl8 deadlifts with controlled negatives in my weekly routine

Oh, wait, I do have fucking silent deadlifts with 4pl8 on every wendesday.
They're called silent, because the only sound the plates make is the clink of the bar hitting the plates, when I let go on the last rep.

You're a fucking weakling and a pussy that'll stay a weakling untill his 30s, and then stop lifting.

FUCK YOU

>> Dumbell shoulder pressing in line with your head and ears
w-why

H-How could that happen? Were you properly warmed up?

You have to pay for doctor's notes. That's normal stuff. The doctor sounds like a sack of shit but that part sounds normal.

A caring doctor will slide you some notes though

>RIP ribcage.webm
more like RIP everything else, the poor cunt died

What was his name? Link to the story?

>your thumb causes impingement

These are the yards giving you fitness advice.

If you're not doing neutral grip lateral raises, you have a double digit IQ

The internal rotation in your shoulder from pointing your thumb down does

See

>unless I pay him
Don't pay him, and don't pay any other fucking NHS cunt GP. Just go to a physiotherapist.

>grinding out reps with heavy weight

Gains goblin

I already saw it, but you clearly didn't see what you were replying to and you can still get a little impingement with neutral grip if your shoulders are shit like mine, so turning it out a little during the movement is better

Then do cable lat raises. IMO it puts less stress on the shoulders because it's more controlled, and it seems to work them better

1x biacromial width is far too close for benching, 1.5 is safe and effective

That's my normal grip. Grip width is determined by your anthropomorphy.

Bend at 45 degrees and raise your arms with your thumbs either neutral or your thumbs slightly up. I actually find I can feel my side delts better with this than that pouring the water shit.

I Bulged a disc due to uneven pelvis not know that and when I squatted It hurt my my got a Mri last month it's a minimally Bulged disc. But I'm still in pain what do I doo

If you're rotating your hand you're rotating your whole arm you fuckin idiot lmao

Ok, where did I even say that negatives are bad? I'm saying that grinding weights to get them up all the time is bad and how important speed work is.

Negatives however are another whole topic we could get into. People still believe they build more muscle somehow which is laughable. Your muscles don't suddenly decide to grow bigger due to doing a slow negative rep. That feeling in your muscle when you do a negative isn't the muscle being broken down better. It's tissue inflammation.

We already know that the only thing that constitutes muscle growth is the amount of volume done over time. Rep range doesn't matter. You can do sets of normal reps or slow negatives, it literally makes no difference, as long as the volume requirement is met.

WHY DID I WATCH THIS

I KNEW BUT I STILL CLICKED D:

Or introduce a small forward lean, I did that and I now have literally zero pain whereas before with neutral grip it felt like my scapula was grinding

Yep. 45 angle lean with thumbs slightly up is the most optimal way

>mfw reverse grip bench press
All kinds of upper pec and lower pec gains.Try it if you're not a pussy

So these two Chinese national bros were using the squat rack to do their deadlifts yeah? (Reeeee)

Well, I had one more exercise, seated good mornings, and just wanted shit to be over with so I can eat.

Figure I'll just clean and press, then load onto my back, whatcouldgowrong?

Seriously don't ever do this, even with a low amount of weight, it's easily in the top 3 stupidest things I've ever done in a gym.

Never end up with a barbell on your back and nowhere to put it but over your neck or down your spine.

Luckily I was able to press it back and deload without too much problem, but holy shit, with more weight I could have been paralyzed with one mistake.

Know when to call it a day, stay safe bros, we're all gonna make it.

You probably pulled your muscles/tendons. If it is the tendons you are in for a looong recovery, think months. Ice, after the initial pain goes away hyperextensions with GOOD FORM and stretch with baby steps.

Barbell flys will take you to snapcity real quick

Quickest way to wreck your shoulders is close grip, switched to shoulder width and saved my shit. Don't listen to this retard.

Okay, either you point your thumbs down without your shoulders rotating and you fuck your wrists/elbows, or you do rotate and fuck your shoulders. Either ways it's a dumb thing to do that doesn't even hit the muscle harder.

Shoulder width IS close grip you flaming retard. Why the fuck would anyone go closer than shoulder width? Doesn't make any sense.

Shut the fuck up you stupid nerd

Lol You're a retard.

LOL get some friends fagboy

i do grinder reps when I'm trying to fix my form

is this bad?

>that fucking spotter not doing shit

Honestly though, I really don't get why benches don't just use safety pins. Especially during meets where everyone arches like a motherfucker to limit their ROM, so pins wouldn't even impede anything.

>> "Pouring the water jug out" on lateral raises
I do this, how fucked am I? I have slight pain sometimes in my left shoulder but its ok if I warm up properly.

O shit, it's true, google Igor Golushkin

this, desu. you dont even need the full power cage. just 1 end of it and adjustable height flat bars that stick out parallel to the bench. so simple and would add so much safety.

check athleanx video on the lateral raise. basically, keep the elbows down below the wrists, dont rotate the shoulder back, but neutral or a little forwards, and lean the torso forwards to achieve the same effect on the medial delt that pouring the jug does.

ok thanks. How about turning your hand inwards while doing frontal raises, is that bad?

watched this vid so many times. Still amazed at how fucking stupid that is.

I'd like to see OP. Arnold's grip seems to work

help out a a fellow skele-dyel
I can tell I lean too much forward, but I might still be missing something

and my shit diddly

brace ever at all

reverse is easier on the shoulders than normal tho..??

thanks senpai

Can I get a form check?

I dont even understand why the hyper extension

Try to keep your motion more controlled and smooth
Slow your descent

I've heard also that low bars are bad for beginners

That looks good
Maybe thrust your hips forward more at the peak. Squeeze the glutes as your'e coming up.